Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:07:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AR-15 lower (the important part with the serial number) from 3d printer  (Read 3936 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:54:57 PM

The means to manufacture weapons (guns) has been available to most people at the cost of 1-2K USD in machining equipment and a little ingenuity.

For example, some interesting submachine gun plans here http://thehomegunsmith.com/

I've had an idea for a Six Shooter Shotgun made from pipes floating around my head for the last couple of days (making a single shot - shotgun requires some steel pipes, a bit of wod and a nail).

The most difficult part to machine is the rifling in the barrel (the lack of which makes the above sub-machine gun very innacurate).

All 3D printers do is bring this ability to someone who doesn't do metalwork.

Really I'm surprised that there are not traveling arms factories drifting around places like the US, UK and other countries, they'd make a fortune pumping out cheap, low quality guns and ammo.

Well, I'm not sure that there aren't. I don't travel in the gun-heavy circles, so I don't know, but I find it hard to believe that this isn't becoming popular. I guess I'll visit the next local gun show and ask around.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:00:20 PM

When technology evolves to the point that everyone has the ability to give themselves the tech to build a device in their own garage that can blow the world up, it stands to reason that there will be at least one that will do so. Is that exciting, or is it definitely not so exciting?

The excitement level is irrelevant. The important part, is that this IS a possibility. And that the appropriate response is NOT totalitarian police states for all, just because you fear the possibility.

And for the umpteenth time, if you believe it is, you are wasting your time espousing such a sentiment here.

As far as 3d printing of guns? Yes, totally excited about it. I'm looking forward to acquiring a 3d printer even more now. Cheesy

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 02:21:04 PM

So I wonder how long before they make fully automatic suppressed guns? Will teflon tipped rounds be far behind? Here's another disruptive technology that is outpacing the ability of governments to control.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 07:37:46 PM

So I wonder how long before they make fully automatic suppressed guns? Will teflon tipped rounds be far behind? Here's another disruptive technology that is outpacing the ability of governments to control.

Printing a complete, functioning firearm is a far cry from an AR-15 lower. Do you realize what kind of pressure levels that the chamber and barrel must withstand?

A decent machine shop can make all kinds of firearms today though. As far as suppression goes, that depends heavily on the ammunition.

Teflon coated bullets are pure media hype. The rounds were armor piercing because of the tungsten alloy they were made from. The teflon coating was used to help reduce barrel wear. Most high powered rifle rounds, which can be purchased just about anywhere today, are armor piercing.

3d printers will never make something capable of withstanding firing pressures. Now, home CNC machines.... that's a little more likely. The thing is, a "machine shop" is getting to the point where it's hobby-level stuff. Where two decades ago, a hobbyist might have had a router, maybe a lathe, two decades from now they're going to have a CNC, and 3d printer, and who knows what else. Hobbyists will be able to churn out anything from a drone aircraft to a fully functional firearm, in just a few days in the workshop. Media attention has so far focused on the impact of that fact on the manufacturing industry, but neglected its impact on government.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: