Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:07:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I want my money back from SatoshiDICE?  (Read 7374 times)
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:47:54 PM

Idea: A DB of addresses that pooled funds such as MtGox can contact so they don't send to them. Lottery and SD addresses come to mind.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:49:08 PM

Idea: A DB of addresses that pooled funds such as MtGox can contact so they don't send to them. Lottery and SD addresses come to mind.
Actually, while I am opposed to "blacklists" and such, it would make sense for mtgox to give warning when paying to known satoshidice addresses to prevent issues like this.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:49:28 PM

Will call it a the Red List.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:50:38 PM

Since MtGox doubles as a wallet. Perhaps we should make it a double confirm

"You are about to send X btc to a SatoshiDice address. Are you sure?"

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
TTBit
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:51:24 PM

Actually, while I am opposed to "blacklists" and such, it would make sense for mtgox to give warning when paying to known satoshidice addresses to prevent issues like this.

Also, mixers such as the one from blockchain.info could add to the DB after the address is deleted

TTBit
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:52:41 PM

...Or just call it a stupid tax

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 02:57:35 PM

I LOLd Smiley)

If anything, MtGox and others should prevent sending to 1dice/… from addresses that can't be used as return addresses as this is 99.9% unintentional but on the other hand: I would go with the stupid tax comment and not burden business with any effort like that.

Anyway, thanx for the laugh Smiley

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:59:42 PM

"Can I want my money back from SatoshiDICE?"
Yes you can.

"Can I have my money back from SatoshiDICE?"
I would say no.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:07:42 PM

I LOLd Smiley)

If anything, MtGox and others should prevent sending to 1dice/… from addresses that can't be used as return addresses as this is 99.9% unintentional but on the other hand: I would go with the stupid tax comment and not burden business with any effort like that.

Anyway, thanx for the laugh Smiley

Let's say for instance that this bloke DID win. Where would the winnings go?

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:50:26 PM

I'm new bitcoiner here.

Today, I made a serious mistake.

When I withdraw from Mtgox at 2012/07/26 02:40:48, I inputed the address of a SatoshiDICE (1dice97ECuByXAvqXpaYzSaQuPVvrtmz6)  and did not notice the error.

So, I lost 50BTC.

I would like to ask, Can I get back to me the BTC?

Is any SatoshiDICE staff here? Can anybody help me?

Rockxie - Unfortunately money sent to SatoshiDice from certain ewallets cannot be recovered. There is a warning on the front page of SatoshiDice explaining this:

WARNING: Only use wallets that allow you to receive Bitcoin from the same address you sent from. If you're not sure, test with .001 Bitcoins. If you get nothing back, then your wallet is not compatible.

So I am sorry to say that the funds cannot be returned. Any winnings from these bets go back to Gox, but they go into an account which Gox doesn't/can't access for some reason. It's possible the funds now belong to another Gox account holder. It's not really fair to bother Gox with this either, since SatoshiDice gives a very clear warning not to use it.  And if you lost the bet anyway, then there's no funds to return of course.

Please always be careful with bitcoins. The irreversible nature means you need to be diligent. You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of. I feel your pain, but please use this as a lesson for the future  Undecided
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:57:56 PM

You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of.
It sounds like it was a cut-'n-paste error, but yes - always double and triple check the address and the amount.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
streblo

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:02:39 PM

You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of.
It sounds like it was a cut-'n-paste error, but yes - always double and triple check the address and the amount.

If only SatoshiDICE had some sort of vanity prefix for their addresses...   Cheesy
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:04:22 PM

evoorhees, I have a great idea here.

I want to send to the dice 50 BTC using proper client that can get incoming transfers to the transfer out source address just fine. It'll be 50/50 bet.

Then if I lose the bet I'll post on this forum and will tell ya opps I made a mistake, please refund. Pretty please! Sounds as a decent idea to me. What do you think?

-
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:20:09 PM

Rockxie - Unfortunately money sent to SatoshiDice from certain ewallets cannot be recovered. There is a warning on the front page of SatoshiDice explaining this:

WARNING: Only use wallets that allow you to receive Bitcoin from the same address you sent from. If you're not sure, test with .001 Bitcoins. If you get nothing back, then your wallet is not compatible.

So I am sorry to say that the funds cannot be returned. Any winnings from these bets go back to Gox, but they go into an account which Gox doesn't/can't access for some reason. It's possible the funds now belong to another Gox account holder. It's not really fair to bother Gox with this either, since SatoshiDice gives a very clear warning not to use it.  And if you lost the bet anyway, then there's no funds to return of course.

Please always be careful with bitcoins. The irreversible nature means you need to be diligent. You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of. I feel your pain, but please use this as a lesson for the future  Undecided

Can you tell if the bet the OP placed won? Can you tell whether the address it was sent from is one of these send-only Gox addresses? If the bet didn't win and it really did come from a Gox address, you're out no BTC and you know he wasn't trying to scam you, right?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:27:02 PM

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he was trying to scam SatoshiDice, but in any case that's a good reason why "refunds" can't be given (even if it was possible to do so, which in this case, it's not).
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:31:20 PM

Sorry but this look like angle shooting. I'm sorry for your loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advantage_gambling#Angle_shooting
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 05:56:11 PM

If only SatoshiDICE had some sort of vanity prefix for their addresses...   Cheesy

+1 Cheesy

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:00:17 PM

Can you tell if the bet the OP placed won? Can you tell whether the address it was sent from is one of these send-only Gox addresses? If the bet didn't win and it really did come from a Gox address, you're out no BTC and you know he wasn't trying to scam you, right?

If only a forum member had identified her bet already and determined the answers to these questions are: "lost, from a Mt.Gox account."

I'm afraid that it doesn't follow that it isn't a scam. If she had won, she would go to Mt.Gox instead and reclaim the profits by showing she placed the withdrawl. A scammee could bet that there's more than 1.8% chance SD would refund, which makes it a nice trick you could only get away with once. And if only once, why not for 50?

I believe OP made an honest mistake, but because it's impossible to know, the best policy is to hold a hard line.
Kitemike

Activity: 108

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 06:30:50 PM

rockxie, you need to quickly send 100 btc to that address and when it hits, you'll win back everything you lost.  If it doesn't win, send 200.  It's a sure thing!
 Cheesy

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:02:43 PM

I submitted a support ticket to Mt. Gox requesting this capability:

There is the repeating situation where people are withdrawing from a Mt. Gox to an address which is incompatible with a hosted (shared) wallet like how Mt. Gox customer accounts use.

SatoshiDICE is one of these.  The betting site returns winnings (and commissions in losses as well) for all wagers to the sender's bitcoin address.  There have been numerous reports of a party not knowing Mt. Gox accounts aren't compatible in this manner and using it anyway.

While Mt. Gox isn't unique in maintaining a hosted (shared) wallet for its customer accounts, it is the largest.    It might be good customer service to at a minimum maintain a blacklist of static bitcoin addresses where any BTC withdrawal requests from Mt.Gox are checked against this list.  If there is a match either the request is rejected or at a minimum the user is warned before proceeding.

There are multiple services like this ... SatoshiDICE, BTCDice, BitLotto, and a handful of others much smaller.

There might even be a way to automate this where any service that is incompatible with EWallets can submit a request to be blocked.  The request would be a standardized format and be submitted as a message using the message signing feature available in the Bitcoin.org client.  There would probably be two messages for this, one to add a block, anther to clear a block.  That's far down the road though. 

At present it is just a handful of addresses which would be best if they were excluded.

Would Mt. Gox take the proactive step and add some method to either block or warn the user when these withdrawal requests are made?

SatoshiDICE could add one restriction.  If the coin happened to be coming from a green address (such as those from Mt. Gox, Instawallet or wherever else they are offered) to return it without treating it as a wager.  That's would only solve a tiny fraction of these as most are not Green Address withdrawals, but it likely will happen a few times.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █