Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:00:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining server room (cooling development help)  (Read 22790 times)
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 12:30:32 AM

I think he's going to need more BTUs. Maybe two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896865291

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
warweed (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:26:14 AM

pwnyboy nailed it on the head it is not about the long term savings its about getting as many machines up as quickly as possible to combat the aggressive rise in difficulty the other issue with running 4 cards rather then single cards is proper cooling (for us)

we opted air displacement for cooling and thus far we are maintaining a average of 65 degrees across all the cards

sadly we have to make due with our 100 amp drop as epcor wants to rape for 100+ amp drops transmission fee's and cost of dropping the line and a bunch of crap it's retarded quick math actually shows if

we have a bunch of cards sitting asap it's cheaper to rent a apartment with free utilitys and house the new machines there with the ones we are currently running .. thou with the forming of a small Edmonton based bitcoin group im going to setup a meeting seeif people would be intrested in leasing commercial space from a fellow i know with a 450 amp drop to the location already built for houseing servers with security and fire suppression and cooling

-J

this weekend i shall try and put together a video showing all the rigs
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 05:24:00 PM

Cool. Can't wait to see the video or any future pics Smiley

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 06:24:47 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2011, 07:08:10 PM by phillipsjk

sadly we have to make due with our 100 amp drop as epcor wants to rape for 100+ amp drops transmission fee's and cost of dropping the line and a bunch of crap it's retarded quick math actually shows if

we have a bunch of cards sitting asap it's cheaper to rent a apartment with free utilitys and house the new machines there with the ones we are currently running .. thou with the forming of a small Edmonton based bitcoin group im going to setup a meeting seeif people would be intrested in leasing commercial space from a fellow i know with a 450 amp drop to the location already built for houseing servers with security and fire suppression and cooling

You are learning that the cheapest kilowatt (as in kilojoules per second) is the one you don't use.

With careful mapping of your wiring, you may not need 200 Amp service. Your service is 100Amp, 240V. Each "branch" can supply 80 amps continuously. If you know for a fact that different outlets are on different sides of the branch circuits, you probably don't even need 240V plugs. You can check this by using a multimeter to check the voltage between the "hot" contacts in the sockets. If they are on the same side of the circuit, the voltage difference will be less than a volt. If they are on different sides of the circuit, the voltage difference will be 240V.

One thing you will have to watch for is power factor. Most my computers without active power factor correction have a power factor of about 0.67. That means that for every amp of current supplying power, I have half an amp of "wasted" current just heating the wiring. What that means for you is that you should derate each circuit by the power factor of the load. For example, on a 15 Amp circuit, you are allowed to draw 12 amps (multiply 15 by 0.8) continuously. If your load has a power factor of 0.67, you would multiply that 12 amp rating by 0.67: giving 8 amps delivering actual power (960Watts). I recently bought a 380 Watt power supply with active power factor correction: it cost me just over $45 (a little over your budgeted $20 per machine).

You can free up about 40 amps (well, 32 Amps after derating for continuous load) by replacing your electric stove with a gas stove. You can then get an electrician to pull the 240 volt connection over for the AC or even running some of the machines.

Of course, renting actual commercial space is a option. However you should really consider whether you consider this a hobby or a business. If it is a hobby, you don't need every last machine running. You may even want to have a few on standby and only run them if the difficulty level network hash rate drops for whatever reason (or in the event of hardware failure). If you consider it a business, you may need to consider getting a business license. Miners should also be aware that there are only about 50,000 "winners" (blocks) every year.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
warweed (OP)

Activity: 130

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:08:07 PM

Thanks for the input Smiley it is appreciated to behonest I work full time for me this Is a hobby for my bussiness partner this is his full time job and is sustaining living on bitcoins ! 100% payed off his visa and line of credit bought a butt load of investments and pays rent and utilities entirely with exchanged bitcoins Smiley

And will continue to do so for as long as he can

The reason I suggested commercial space is because of the need of constant expansion to combat difficulty unfortunately the last few massive jumps dropped the earnings down a fair amount but with the rise in value it evens out fairly well Smiley
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:06:44 PM

not sure about mobile nuke powerstation[but Russia plan start build/sell some soon], but using obsolete military bomb shelters and other former industrial underground [well-made]structures, for data-center/mining is good idea/investment/decision.
esp if that's really bomb-proof, ie, able withstand at least old bomb hits[not deep penetrators with active propulsion improvement tech].
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 06:11:03 PM

Seal each rack's shelf
intake cold in bottom corner exhaust top caddy corner.
Use this method for 1000watt grow lights.
It forces the cold air to rise through and across the hot cards and the hottest air is at the top where the other fan is sucking it out.
Also by sealing off the shelves you are decreasing the amount of air you need to vent every minute.
to whats inside the shelves rather than the whole room (the room will need some venting for sure but it wont be so hot you cant stand it,) and thus increasing the amount of times it gets "cycled" or "vented".Which is good.
A 6 or 8 inch duct to and from each shelf working at a solid CFM should do the trick. The intake air for this would most likely need to be chilled, but I dont know where you are. Northern finland or something you could just pull from outside, florida or something you will need some cooling my friend it is summer.
Might i suggest building one and getting an estimate of the heat produced and work neccessary to eliminate it.

All in all it is a cool idea and i wish i could do it.
No matter what though it can be done, just look at some sick data centers or huge multi level grows, both have extreme heat issues and both go down 24/7.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:20:42 PM

movin cool office pro 60. i have one in a colo room that needed extra cooling and it is top of the line.
paid around 9 grand by shopping around. 60000 BTU and keeps its resale value. Very flexible options
to direct cooling. Venting is easy. It is a 5 ton unit. A real work horse.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: