Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:33:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is windows for dummies?  (Read 3202 times)
silvertree (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:59:42 PM

Is windows better for dummies with bitcoin?

I tried bitcoin ages ago on linux but are that dumb i never did manage to succsessfully down load a wallet EmbarrassedI am really dumb with computers.
But really want to learn how to use bitcoin safley.

I now have use of a windows..
I managed to get a wallet ok.
Is Windows safe?
Is there anything i should know about using windows and bitcoin ?

Or should i persevere with Linux ubuntu?

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wikiaki

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:03:07 PM

Linux is better (more secure) than Windows.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 05:02:20 PM

Brian Krebs, a security expert, describes how for even online banking the best methods for most windows users is to use a bootable LiveOS:

- http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/07/banking-on-a-live-cd

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

silvertree (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 05:55:14 PM

Brian Krebs, a security expert, describes how for even online banking the best methods for most windows users is to use a bootable LiveOS:

- http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/07/banking-on-a-live-cd

I dont have time to read but can i guess he doesnt trust windows with banking/money transactions?

does anyone use bitcoins with windows?
silvertree (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 07:23:40 PM

does anyone use bitcoins with windows?

Yes, but I also only use Armory offline transactions.

Thanks that looks like a good tool if you have lots of bitcoin..
Does it require a spare device though?
And if the device breaks can the data be recovered?

Do people use bitcoin with windows online without problems?
inescapabledoom

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:50:19 AM

OSX, Windows, Linux (Ubuntu)...  It really doesn't matter, because I can crash any of them in a matter of minutes just doing "normal" stuff.  Perfect machines with fresh OEM installs too.  I'm a dream employee for beta testing anything.... but I'd be better suited to help design and build things, so they work right in the first place.

This was a 'spam' post to get my count up so I can post my one and only single contribution to this site in a thread for BFL orders.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:04:59 AM

OSX, Windows, Linux (Ubuntu)...  It really doesn't matter, because I can crash any of them in a matter of minutes just doing "normal" stuff.  Perfect machines with fresh OEM installs too.  I'm a dream employee for beta testing anything.... but I'd be better suited to help design and build things, so they work right in the first place.

This was a 'spam' post to get my count up so I can post my one and only single contribution to this site in a thread for BFL orders.

Cool post dood.

Care to reply Wink?

Anyway, I left windows over a decade ago and couldn't be happier with my computing.  Linux has come a long way in that time.  Sometimes I miss building kernels.  Maybe one day I'll do it just for fun.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
inescapabledoom

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:00:06 AM

heheh...

I guess the universe just guides me to the bugs in any and all software.

I've been known to cause electromagnetic interference from simply being in close proximity to computers or other electronic devices.  I've even made basic handheld calculators malfunction.

Sometimes when I'm feeling good, the opposite will happen and machines that are going crazy will calm down for me.

The last time I tried Ubuntu, it crashed while I was trying to just open and view all of the advanced settings in... whatever it was, don't remember now, but it was only a few minutes after a fresh install.  I was just trying to familiarize myself with the inner workings and it freaked out cause I looked up its skirt and it took a dump on me.

Why am I replying here, I dunno... I found some bugs in the forum while piddling around.  My login counter was frozen for a while until I made another post.

Being logged in "forever" failed once too.  I never closed this tab.  Crazy 1's and 0's getting lost in the ether.  Went to join my left socks.
tospace

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:11:12 AM

I think windows 7 is smart os, easy to use but most people r still too dumb to use it right.  I don't even use a virus scan, haven't had a virus since windows xp. 7 is just super easy to customize/set up plus is plays DX11 games.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:12:32 AM

heheh...

I guess the universe just guides me to the bugs in any and all software.

I've been known to cause electromagnetic interference from simply being in close proximity to computers or other electronic devices.  I've even made basic handheld calculators malfunction.

Sometimes when I'm feeling good, the opposite will happen and machines that are going crazy will calm down for me.

The last time I tried Ubuntu, it crashed while I was trying to just open and view all of the advanced settings in... whatever it was, don't remember now, but it was only a few minutes after a fresh install.  I was just trying to familiarize myself with the inner workings and it freaked out cause I looked up its skirt and it took a dump on me.

Why am I replying here, I dunno... I found some bugs in the forum while piddling around.  My login counter was frozen for a while until I made another post.

Being logged in "forever" failed once too.  I never closed this tab.  Crazy 1's and 0's getting lost in the ether.  Went to join my left socks.

Our spines are basically just big antennas.  When all your nerves fire together it can produce some small but significant EMI.

silvertree (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 04:10:30 PM

Thanks for all the interesting replys..

I have to admit i really am that dumb i cant use windows properly...

My question should really be is a dummie on windows safe with bitcoin?

I now have a wallet and ready to buy some  Cry

Are is there any last advice.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:38:40 PM

Thanks for all the interesting replys..

I have to admit i really am that dumb i cant use windows properly...

I now have a wallet and ready to buy some  Cry

Are is there any last advice.

Encrypt your wallet and back it up in several places.

Only unlock it when you need to spend funds or generate a new address.

tristian1980

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 07:57:46 PM

Definitley linux.
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:45:31 AM

Hm, I had planned to just make a little linux box with cards to mine, but would Windows really do fine and not make any hit at all to the power? Hmm... something to think about at least before I move forward.

BTC Long.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 12:24:31 AM

Even a system pretty that is pretty badly compromised is probably still going to be safe for you to use if you are using a hosted (shared) EWallet service where a one-time password (OTP) like Google Authenticator (on your mobile) is required.

But overall, it is really a matter of giving attention to security relative to the risk.

If you carry $200 in your back pocket in a bar, you probably will be fine with $200 worth of bitcoins on your Bitcoin.org client on a Windows Vista or Win 7 box presuming you run updates, have some decent anti-virus installed, are sane when installing software, and know how to copy your wallet.dat to a thumb drive for backup.

Now if $200 worth is a lot for you, or you want to store $1K or more you might not want to trust that configuration.  An offline system (with an air gap to the network) booted from a LiveOS distribution is among the most secure methods for using bitcoin -- but that security comes with the tradeoff in convenience.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Trake

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 12:25:41 AM

i wouldn't say it's for dummies.
BillN

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:59:11 PM

Go with Linux or Mac
Luceo

Activity: 350

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:08:44 PM

Linux is not more secure than Windows, but there are two reasons why it often seems so:

• A typical Linux user will generally have more computer knowledge than a typical Windows user.
  • Linux is less used, so malware developers and hackers spend less time trying to exploit vulnerabilities in it.

I would still recommend Linux to just about anybody as a main Operating System, however, because it does have some significant advantages in speed, stability and the security through obscurity concept is still valid; what this doesn't mean is that you should assume that because you use Linux, that you're not vulnerable.

The same rules with regards to using obscure websites, installing packages you don't trust etc still apply.

If you're willing to learn, use Arch Linux and not Ubuntu. It's a far simpler setup which means it's more difficult to compromise, there are less old packages with holes in and it is generally more congruent to gaining Linux knowledge.

Ubuntu sugar-coats everything, but the cost of that is reduced understanding on your end of what is happening on your computer. By replacing packages like sysvinit/systemd with the more complicated upstart, and replacing known and tested GUI environments with its beta Unity/Wayland setup, Ubuntu sacrifices the knowledge of a lot of users of other distros and the testing they can offer.

Also, do not go with Mac, it is a far less secure platform than Windows 7.

Zanatos666

Activity: 280

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:12:51 PM

One thing to be noted, you dont have to have your wallet hosted on the same system as your miner.  I have two separate miners (one running Windows, the other running BAMT) and neither have my wallet on it.  I have a completely different system that hosts my wallet where I can do all of my transactions.

So, with that said, you can run Linux for your miner, but have say, a separate desktop or laptop that runs and manages your wallet.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:22:56 PM

Linux is not more secure than Windows, but there are two reasons why it often seems so:

• A typical Linux user will generally have more computer knowledge than a typical Windows user.
  • Linux is less used, so malware developers and hackers spend less time trying to exploit vulnerabilities in it.

I would still recommend Linux to just about anybody as a main Operating System, however, because it does have some significant advantages in speed, stability and the security through obscurity concept is still valid; what this doesn't mean is that you should assume that because you use Linux, that you're not vulnerable.

The same rules with regards to using obscure websites, installing packages you don't trust etc still apply.

If you're willing to learn, use Arch Linux and not Ubuntu. It's a far simpler setup which means it's more difficult to compromise, there are less old packages with holes in and it is generally more congruent to gaining Linux knowledge.

Ubuntu sugar-coats everything, but the cost of that is reduced understanding on your end of what is happening on your computer. By replacing packages like sysvinit/systemd with the more complicated upstart, and replacing known and tested GUI environments with its beta Unity/Wayland setup, Ubuntu sacrifices the knowledge of a lot of users of other distros and the testing they can offer.

Also, do not go with Mac, it is a far less secure platform than Windows 7.

Excellent response.

Linux is not more secure than Windows...
There's someone who doesn't get the open source development model, every furry toothed geek in the world gets to pick holes in the code to polish his ego (as well as every hacker and top level security professional). I'm not saying linux is hack proof and there is plenty of code available with the security of a wet paper bag but the model works far better than closed source for security evaluation.

Nothing against windows or mac systems, many find them easier to use and thats what matters for getting things done, but their development model is inherently weaker.

While you are correct that the model is superior, Microsoft has 1000X the resources to throw at the problem.  So yeah, Windows is broken more primarily because it is attacked more despite likely having more (or at least equally) secure code.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: