Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:41:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This rally is a pirate bubble  (Read 8612 times)
dust (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 07:44:16 PM

The increase in price is not due to an increase in the exchange of goods and services for bitcoins or favorable news, the two traditional causes for rallies.

Everyone is buying BTC to get in on pirate's scheme, pirate passthroughs, and other pirate like "lending" schemes.

Obviously earning 3300% a year on BTC is more attractive than 0-10%/year with USD.

The entire bitcoin economy is shifting towards lending and various financial instruments.

If pirate were to default, would the price crash?  There would certainly be less incentive to buy BTC.  Of course, pirate might have all of the coins by then... so there might not be many sellers.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:45:49 PM

Oh so you mean, it's an end to itself. This could get dirty when the bitcoin generation rate halves.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:53:40 PM

If you're right, his interest rates will fall until he only has as much BTC as he needs.  If he's generous (and selective), he may just limit deposits and new accounts.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:10:15 PM

this rally is not a pirate bubble
this rally is a pirate bubble
this rally is maybe a pirate bubble
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:11:22 PM

The entire bitcoin economy is shifting towards lending and various financial instruments.

True, but isn't this a healthy sign? I mean, even in the gold-backed-money days, didn't most people keep their money in a bank which lent it out to earn interest?

The great thing about bitcoin, though, is that unlike fiat money, you're aren't forced to lend it or suffer loss of purchasing power. Due to its deflationary nature, with BTC you can take the risk of lending, or you can just hold it directly with essentially zero risk. Everybody wins Smiley
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:12:54 PM

Everyone is buying BTC to get in on pirate's scheme, pirate passthroughs, and other pirate like "lending" schemes.

If pirate is selling them again, as many assume, those bitcoins are already back in the market.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Rockefoten

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:08:19 PM

That may well be, but anyway, this rally doesn't sees to have hit the PPTs on the exchange. Prices there don't look especially high at the moment.
But if you're right, could be people are looking to deposit directly instead of through the pass-throughs of course.
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:17:21 PM

this rally is not a pirate bubble
this rally is a pirate bubble
this rally is maybe a pirate bubble

Schrödinger's bubble ?

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
paulie_w

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:54:26 PM

impressive :-)
dopamine

Activity: 486
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

nahhh just a over due correction, How many bought again higher than 10 when you sold below 9.50, supply and demand, we are in a bull market, wish I can enjoy this run but most of my bitcoins is trapped with bitcoinica

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:10:51 PM

I wonder if pirate is the US government trying to buy up as many BTC as possible. They can afford to pay out 7% with their fiat.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 10:11:53 PM

there are still new people "investing" in pirate? i had the impression that the "market" is already saturated, and some believe that his "default" is imminent.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
dopamine

Activity: 486
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:14:05 PM

I wonder if pirate is the US government trying to buy up as many BTC as possible. They can afford to pay out 7% with their fiat.
+1

there are some strong hands holding onto BTC and the reward for mining has not even cut in half

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:30:35 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 11:31:08 PM by Spekulatius

Let me be the first to have the honor to welcome you to the halls of this forum, kind Sir!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 10:49:54 PM

+1

there are some strong hands holding onto BTC and the reward for mining has not even cut in half
hahahaohwow.jpg
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:56:34 PM

there are still new people "investing" in pirate? i had the impression that the "market" is already saturated, and some believe that his "default" is imminent.

Well, some people were withdrawing (eg MageD) and everybody was nervous about his vegas meet-up. Since it seems to have taken place, its likely there will be a wave of new investors. But that doesn't mean default is no longer imminent, indeed it could very well be. It just depends on the market (both the PPT market and the bitcoin market) and pirate's exit strategy.

The increase in price is not due to an increase in the exchange of goods and services for bitcoins or favorable news, the two traditional causes for rallies.

Obviously earning 3300% a year on BTC is more attractive than 0-10%/year with USD.

If pirate were to default, would the price crash?  There would certainly be less incentive to buy BTC.  Of course, pirate might have all of the coins by then... so there might not be many sellers.

There is an unhealthy amount of lending schemes going on right now, but I think you might be overestimating the proportion of new buyers they are attracting.

I see evidence for a variety of new investors: the reuters article mentioning the ip addresses of wall street firms visiting mtgox at the beginning of the year, silk road forum post count supposedly 50% of the bitcointalk post count, butterfly labs mining investments, coinLab investment by Ycombinator.

The fact that price has held up so well against the utter vaporization of bitcoinica shows that the bitcoin is market is more resilient and decentralized than I had anticipated (unfortunately for myself, 20% of my funds were in a long position on bitcoinica). So I don't think that a crash of pirate's scheme would affect the market. And actualy from that, one can infer the converse that the success of his scheme is not what's currently driving the price increase. I may be way underestimating the size of his scheme, but I think its fair to say that bitcoinica had a far greater market penetration than pirate does. Of course, MtGox remains the greatest centralized point of risk to the bitcoin price.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:04:42 PM

One more thing, my new best guess for when pirate defaults is when we see a correction in the bitcoin price. Not mini-corrections in the uptrend, but a deeper correction followed by a trend reversal. This would be analogous to all the Wall Street ponzis which collapsed in 2008 when the stock prices reverses. Fear gripped the market, depositors wanted to withdraw from funds, and those withdraws exposed the ponzis.

That would be the latest estimate for when he defaults (most certainly before oct 2013), but of course it could be any time.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 11:11:30 PM

Wonder how many people read my 9 June 2012 post before all this got started.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:17:23 PM

Wonder how many people read my 9 June 2012 post before all this got started.

Stop spamming your post everywhere. Roll Eyes
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:29:04 PM

One more thing, my new best guess for when pirate defaults is when we see a correction in the bitcoin price. Not mini-corrections in the uptrend, but a deeper correction followed by a trend reversal. This would be analogous to all the Wall Street ponzis which collapsed in 2008 when the stock prices reverses. Fear gripped the market, depositors wanted to withdraw from funds, and those withdraws exposed the ponzis.

That would be the latest estimate for when he defaults (most certainly before oct 2013), but of course it could be any time.

This is a very interesting thought. I did not know of that 2008 chain reaction, but it makes sense! The type of herd behavior is the same, so the withdrawals might correlate very well with trend-following sales.

Thanks for sharing this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: