Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:48:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just made my first Bitcoin ATM withdrawal... 3BTC from my printer.  (Read 14459 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 05:24:21 AM

Being my own bank.  The first three real notes.  Funded and ready to spend.

I have been modifying my Casascius Bitcoin Utility to accept a .png file in the same directory as the .exe, and use it as background artwork for the paper wallet generator feature.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 05:39:24 AM

very nice! Can I have them? Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 05:48:28 AM

very nice! Can I have them? Cheesy

I'm hoping yes... I'm planning on releasing the source code I used to print these.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mdosi

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:07:53 AM

Very nice work
rockxie

Activity: 284
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:12:51 AM

Interested in the content under your finger .  Grin
ymgve

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:55:53 AM

I assume it's the private key that's under your finger. Without any additional security measures, how can one be sure that a paper coin is unspent?
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:36:40 AM

Excellent. Not a week ago, it occurred to me merchants aren't the ones who should have QR codes printed - people looking to spend BTC in the real world should print out small-denomination bills, and merchants just need a QR reader.

How is change handled? If I want to use such a bill to pay for something less than the sum held by the private key, is there a way for the merchant to easily return the change to another address I own, not linked to the private key printed on the bill?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
hxtop

Activity: 1071
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:55:33 AM

nice work
good idears.
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:26:00 AM

For those who missed it, this is the original thread where the banknote was designed.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:30:02 AM

I assume it's the private key that's under your finger. Without any additional security measures, how can one be sure that a paper coin is unspent?

The idea with these is that the receiver of a bill scans the private key, immediately moving the funds to another address. The bill can then be discarded.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
556j

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:33:19 PM

The idea with these is that the receiver of a bill scans the private key, immediately moving the funds to another address. The bill can then be discarded.

So to scan it you'd need a mobile phone, what's the benefit of having paper at all then? I'm trying to think of uses for this and it seems there's very limited and specific scenarios it'd be useful.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:40:22 PM

+1

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:42:12 PM

Plz  to be giving us the codez?

Wink

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:53:31 PM

very nice, would be cool if everybody could do that easily themselves.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:55:33 PM

One word - whatifsomeone(athirdparty)hadatelephotolenseasyouexchangednotes?

Then I'd be effed to the tune of 3 BTC.

Print 'em in small denominations.

It's worth pointing out that when you print these notes and hold them in the flesh, the QR codes are giant and far bigger than they need to be to be readable.  They would scan reliably at 1/9 the size.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:56:53 PM

Brilliant!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 05:05:08 PM

soo fantastic!! imagine you can spend this as a gift... amount of bitcoins should als appear on the BTC banknote... very exciting!! great work!! bitcoin up up up...

ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 05:15:17 PM

soo fantastic!! imagine you can spend this as a gift...
This is my idea too... give them as gifts / talking points.

I am a nasty bastard though and I am thinking of putting a VALID UNTIL_______ field so if they don't get off their lazy dufs for 3 months after I give them I can get my BTC back!

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 05:18:07 PM

Excellent. Not a week ago, it occurred to me merchants aren't the ones who should have QR codes printed - people looking to spend BTC in the real world should print out small-denomination bills, and merchants just need a QR reader.

How is change handled? If I want to use such a bill to pay for something less than the sum held by the private key, is there a way for the merchant to easily return the change to another address I own, not linked to the private key printed on the bill?

yes it's very simple! you have to have BTC banknotes down to 1 Satoshi and give these banknotes back as the change...  Grin

Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 05:26:13 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2012, 05:38:25 PM by Gyrsur

soo fantastic!! imagine you can spend this as a gift...
This is my idea too... give them as gifts / talking points.

I am a nasty bastard though and I am thinking of putting a VALID UNTIL_______ field so if they don't get off their lazy dufs for 3 months after I give them I can get my BTC back!

then you have to copy the private key for yourself and should manage the expire date also yourselve to move the amount after this date away...

...but wait a minute! the private key on the banknote should be sealed somehow!!

and the paper has to be banknote paper, please! because of the feeling... Casascius are you able to manage this?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: