Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:12:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sign a message?!  (Read 141338 times)
Cruxer

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 02:14:19 AM

technical side of signing a message is quite hard
good thing is many clients offer simple couple clicks solution to this
im reading through this topic to understand it fully but all this cryptography stuff is quite hard

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2017, 06:00:13 AM

technical side of signing a message is quite hard
good thing is many clients offer simple couple clicks solution to this
im reading through this topic to understand it fully but all this cryptography stuff is quite hard

What cryptography stuff?

First time to try sign a message.

I hope I make this right.

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hi, this is jamyr of bitcointalk. signing this message today 6/22/2017 at 08:32 AM Forum time, to show gratitude for the tutorial shorena made.
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
GyE6oo3ol1Ju+BhscqAPENZgx+AULM9qIVcB8LN77LXDcRvlDnVOe5K4IOuBhHXo+gOegYN2z6YgxxPRAIslcuU=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Well done, besides the missing address as MZ already pointed out. Thanks for actually reading the thread.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
wa1rus

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:43:00 AM

Thank you very much this is very interesting for me. I found about Bitcoin very recently and bought it for the first time last week..

I didn't know you can sign message! It sounds useful, but in what kind of situation would it be used for?
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2017, 08:23:34 AM

Thank you very much this is very interesting for me. I found about Bitcoin very recently and bought it for the first time last week..

I didn't know you can sign message! It sounds useful, but in what kind of situation would it be used for?

The situations where you read more than just the title. Like the first paragraph is dedicated to why this might be usefull for you.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
TetraFugolini

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Linux Geek

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 12:19:01 PM

Well for instance byteball altcoins are distributed for free to btc owners and in order to prove ownership of btc you have to sign a message and send them the signature.
Signing is easy with mycelium Android wallet, no need for complicated processes only two button taps.
AnfisKatechkin

Activity: 266
Merit: 107

I got BTC-e'd... I got WEXed...

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 01:48:49 PM

I tried to sign message with Blockchain.info (it has no such an option for imported addresses in More options), Electrum, Mycelium but I can't... I just want to prove that I own my btc address and restore an access to an account. What's wrong with it, guys? My address is 1KM8gZsEtLeyG8j4vhmRvvp41Nf5Wmnq4G
In Electrum I put a "Message" and "Address" after that I press the button "Sign" and nothing happens.

How I can import this address to anywhere?..Please, help!
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 01:57:43 PM

I tried to sign message with Blockchain.info (it has no such an option for imported addresses in More options), Electrum, Mycelium but I can't... I just want to prove that I own my btc address and restore an access to an account. What's wrong with it, guys? My address is 1KM8gZsEtLeyG8j4vhmRvvp41Nf5Wmnq4G

You only own the address if you have control over the private key associated with it.   The wallet that generated that address is where your private key is kept should have an ability to sign, otherwise you need to move your key in order to do so.   Be carefully doing so.

AnfisKatechkin

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 02:01:39 PM

You only own the address if you have control over the private key associated with it.   The wallet that generated that address is where your private key is kept should have an ability to sign, otherwise you need to move your key in order to do so.   Be carefully doing so.

I created this address using bitaddress.org. There is no option to sign a message. I have private key and password but I don't know what to do... Services do not let me sign a message.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2017, 02:18:49 PM

I created this address using bitaddress.org. There is no option to sign a message. I have private key and password but I don't know what to do... Services do not let me sign a message.

Did you import your address into Electrum or Mycelium(assuming that's what you are using)? I'm not talking about "watch-only", but importing your private key.

AnfisKatechkin

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 02:31:17 PM

Did you import your address into Electrum or Mycelium(assuming that's what you are using)? I'm not talking about "watch-only", but importing your private key.
I imported my address in these wallets and it has a status Watch only. How can I import my private key?
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2017, 02:39:59 PM

-snip-
I imported my address in these wallets and it has a status Watch only. How can I import my private key?

Watch-only means you haven't imported private key of that address to your wallet and hence, you can only "watch" or "track" that particular address. Until you import private key, you won't be able to send bitcoins or sign messages using that address.

To import private key, click "create new wallet" -> restore -> copy-paste or type your private key.

P.S. See https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FAEDJYeSQv0.

Disclaimer: Don't *ever* send your private key to someone or post it online.

AnfisKatechkin

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 02:47:20 PM

-snip-

Watch-only means you haven't imported private key of that address to your wallet and hence, you can only "watch" or "track" that particular address. Until you import private key, you won't be able to send bitcoins or sign messages using that address.

To import private key, click "create new wallet" -> restore -> copy-paste or type your private key.

It was a good try, I almost believed in the miracle... but Electrum doesn't want to take an encrypted private key (with number 6 at front) but it takes a simple one.

Oh, big thanks! I succeeded with Mycelium on Android. You really made my day.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2017, 05:11:34 PM

-snip-

It was a good try, I almost believed in the miracle... but Electrum doesn't want to take an encrypted private key (with number 6 at front) but it takes a simple one.

Sorry about that! I forgot about encrypted private keys in bitaddress.org.

It's nice to hear you have successfully signed a message. You can also import unencrypted private key to Electrum if you are going to use it by exporting private key from Mycelium(if possible) or by decrypting your encrypted private key and then importing it into your Electrum.

If you already know how to sign message, I recommend you to post a signed message from your address, which is associated with your BT account here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.0.

AnfisKatechkin

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 05:21:41 PM

-snip-

Sorry about that! I forgot about encrypted private keys in bitaddress.org.

It's nice to hear you have successfully signed a message. You can also import unencrypted private key to Electrum if you are going to use it by exporting private key from Mycelium(if possible) or by decrypting your encrypted private key and then importing it into your Electrum.

If you already know how to sign message, I recommend you to post a signed message from your address, which is associated with your BT account here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.0.

Yup, I did almost what you said Smiley

By the way, i tried to verify my message through coinig.com and I got a message
Failure: ('vmB', 'Bad address. Signing: 1PRXVpoCMhBaTMqdJAJX9yZjQwD4ryQFyE, received: 1KM8gZsEtLeyG8j4vhmRvvp41Nf5Wmnq4G')
At the same time my message was verified by Blockchain.info!

Address: 1KM8gZsEtLeyG8j4vhmRvvp41Nf5Wmnq4G

Message: My account Tarime has been lost. Please reset the email to k4techkin@gmail.com The current
date is 06.27.2017.

Signature: IA6aaPsfo+A9Bivsp81T6xnKX3clJS1XtyBFxtToOBAGJWt1N15ihyE1h5d+oNL1hGspUZsE92gWoF18U6JDMVY=

What's wrong? Maybe that's the reason why my account is still locked if Cyrus and theymos use that site Cry
apoorvlathey

Activity: 1162
Merit: 547

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 05:34:45 PM

Yup, I did almost what you said Smiley

By the way, i tried to verify my message through coinig.com and I got a message
Failure: ('vmB', 'Bad address. Signing: 1PRXVpoCMhBaTMqdJAJX9yZjQwD4ryQFyE, received: 1KM8gZsEtLeyG8j4vhmRvvp41Nf5Wmnq4G')
At the same time my message was verified by Blockchain.info!

Address: 1KM8gZsEtLeyG8j4vhmRvvp41Nf5Wmnq4G

Message: My account Tarime has been lost. Please reset the email to k4techkin@gmail.com The current
date is 06.27.2017.

Signature: IA6aaPsfo+A9Bivsp81T6xnKX3clJS1XtyBFxtToOBAGJWt1N15ihyE1h5d+oNL1hGspUZsE92gWoF18U6JDMVY=

What's wrong? Maybe that's the reason why my account is still locked if Cyrus and theymos use that site Cry

coinig has been proven to have a glitch time and again. It is not suitable for verifying messages that have linebreak, like yours.
Hopefully Cyrus and thymos know about it and use other bitcoin wallets to verify it.

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 07:14:52 PM

You can use http://brainwalletx.github.io/#verify instead.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 05:32:17 PM

New;

I am VirosaGITS
14gJjXNAMGkyQAgjKbVKPuziejfNGvm89j
IAV0O9l3mjdlhyakLaKuSykGE0u9xedldwvPzD7KUOf2N8FASwEOEk7Ht7OcuSL46RW4vU0Uof4x5Xh r5wo4ak4=

I now got a hardware wallet Smiley

Previous Sig;

Changing to 14gJjXNAMGkyQAgjKbVKPuziejfNGvm89j
Also Changing my Password
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----
Version: MultiBit HD (0.5.1)
Comment: https://multibit.org
Address: 1N9TBCcrwqrk7ZC4PWiuU1nUf8qkt7eEXR

IMBY2r8YY0+N9IB9k/Jozi7GFQXtHT0oMAlXZw8ruqzefung/G76L/4ZJiVcJLHH0iT0l/iYlX1QQnxYOZ4/3sQ=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----

Cheers!

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2017, 06:05:42 PM

New;

I am VirosaGITS
14gJjXNAMGkyQAgjKbVKPuziejfNGvm89j
IAV0O9l3mjdlhyakLaKuSykGE0u9xedldwvPzD7KUOf2N8FASwEOEk7Ht7OcuSL46RW4vU0Uof4x5Xh r5wo4ak4=

I now got a hardware wallet Smiley

Previous Sig;

Changing to 14gJjXNAMGkyQAgjKbVKPuziejfNGvm89j
Also Changing my Password
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----
Version: MultiBit HD (0.5.1)
Comment: https://multibit.org
Address: 1N9TBCcrwqrk7ZC4PWiuU1nUf8qkt7eEXR

IMBY2r8YY0+N9IB9k/Jozi7GFQXtHT0oMAlXZw8ruqzefung/G76L/4ZJiVcJLHH0iT0l/iYlX1QQnxYOZ4/3sQ=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNATURE-----

Cheers!

Quoted and verified.

When staking your address, post in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.0. This thread is tutorial for signing messages and discussion about it. However, if you are signing for the first time and this thread helped you, I suggest you give a tip to Shorena or at the very least, post here. He deserves it.

1N9TBCcrwqrk7ZC4PWiuU1nUf8qkt7eEXR - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg14039362#msg14039362

Congrats for getting a new hardware wallet! Which one did you buy?

Edit: I quoted your post in Tomatocage's thread in Meta - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg19882513#msg19882513.

Bond_Jamesbond

Activity: 190
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2017, 02:15:21 PM

Hi,

I am using www.unocoin.com for my BTC wallet, It is an Indian BTC wallet provider.  I dont know how to sign a message with their BTC address, can anyone here suggest me a way to sign a message with unocoin BTC address.

Saichoukyushin

Activity: 770
Merit: 278

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 02:29:20 PM

Hi,

I am using www.unocoin.com for my BTC wallet, It is an Indian BTC wallet provider.  I dont know how to sign a message with their BTC address, can anyone here suggest me a way to sign a message with unocoin BTC address.
I don't know if that wallet you are using is supported by a sign message .It is better to pick some wallets in the OP and follow the steps then you are good to go and signed message.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: