Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:50:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sign a message?!  (Read 141333 times)
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2015, 01:22:52 PM

Can somebody please explain to me how to sign message with Xapo wallet?

You can't. I highly recommend you to use a desktop(or mobile) wallet. If you want use an online wallet, use Blockchain.info. Other online wallets are insecure.

But I need the address on my Xapo wallet to sign a message Huh
btw, why is other online wallets beside Blockchain.info are insecure?
Xapo wallet does not support signing using their addresses, since it is shared (AFAIK).

Also, the reason online wallets are considered insecure is that you have to share private key with third party (think of you sharing your home key). Only blockchain.info stores private key in your device (they encrypt your private key on your computer and then upload to server, so you still have to trust bc.info to encrypt your key), that's why MZ suggested you use bc.info (or desktop wallet).

But if we stores private key in our device, it means if we lost our private so we lost everything.
That's why Xapo don't want to share the private key, so if the private key lost Xapo will refund our balance. (CMIIW)

Do you tell another person to create a bank account for you and tell him/her to withdraw money when you want? Or do you create a bank account yourself and never share with another person?

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 01:31:07 PM

You can't. I highly recommend you to use a desktop(or mobile) wallet. If you want use an online wallet, use Blockchain.info. Other online wallets are insecure.

Xapo wallet does not support signing using their addresses, since it is shared (AFAIK).

Also, the reason online wallets are considered insecure is that you have to share private key with third party (think of you sharing your home key). Only blockchain.info stores private key in your device (they encrypt your private key on your computer and then upload to server, so you still have to trust bc.info to encrypt your key), that's why MZ suggested you use bc.info (or desktop wallet).

But if we stores private key in our device, it means if we lost our private so we lost everything.
That's why Xapo don't want to share the private key, so if the private key lost Xapo will refund our balance. (CMIIW)

Do you tell another person to create a bank account for you and tell him/her to withdraw money when you want? Or do you create a bank account yourself and never share with another person?

Yeah, that's make sense too. Okay so it's more safe to use Blockchain.info than Xapo, then I will move to Blockchain.inco
btw, I used to use Blockchain. But because there is so many faucets offerig more rewards for Xapo users, so I moved to Xapo Cheesy

faucet used to be profitable
GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
May 20, 2015, 11:46:38 PM

Yeah, that's make sense too. Okay so it's more safe to use Blockchain.info than Xapo, then I will move to Blockchain.inco
btw, I used to use Blockchain. But because there is so many faucets offerig more rewards for Xapo users, so I moved to Xapo Cheesy

Check out this guide if you want 100% offline security for the coins:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1002719.0

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 12:13:43 AM

I'm not asking about offline wallet, I'm asking about the best online wallet service. Offline wallet is not compatible with my device Grin

faucet used to be profitable
GreenStox

Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 01:05:04 AM

I'm not asking about offline wallet, I'm asking about the best online wallet service. Offline wallet is not compatible with my device Grin

What device are you using? Why not use PC. Sure its the most secure way, mobile phones are all surveyed.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
romano1

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

have fun

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 08:39:47 PM

Thanks for this useful guide, i was searching about this before i stepped into this thread.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 08:45:46 PM

Wow shorena, you are the bomb!  Tip sent!  Wink

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2015, 07:37:17 PM

Wow shorena, you are the bomb!  Tip sent!  Wink

thanks Smiley

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
tarsua

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 01:13:23 AM

Thank you for this, very detailed, i didnt know you could sign a message from a blockchain account
edit: will tip you in the future and bookmarked this thread
rayhan

Activity: 378

be your self

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:20:27 AM

may i ask, how to read this code

if others give code like that I'm confused how to read or how to find out that it was true  Huh

zeeshsnrehman2

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Where is Teddy?

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:22:47 AM

why do we need a sign message? this puzzles me everytime i see someone asking for a sign message on an account or a wallet. how to determine that the message came from the account itself?

i understood how to sign a message, thanks to shorena for that. much appreciate.

since we are following and arrow going down, how to get the arrow going up and confirm the message is from the account or the wallet?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1074532.msg11485808#msg11485808

Summary - Mr.Bean 2.0   Picture/Text
Name:   Mr.Bean 2.0
Activity:   0
Position:   Brand new
Date Registered:   Today at 12:48:26 AM
Last Active:   Today at 12:54:08 AM
rayhan

Activity: 378

be your self

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:32:04 AM

why do we need a sign message? this puzzles me everytime i see someone asking for a sign message on an account or a wallet. how to determine that the message came from the account itself?

i understood how to sign a message, thanks to shorena for that. much appreciate.

since we are following and arrow going down, how to get the arrow going up and confirm the message is from the account or the wallet?
No idea, maybe to let you know that you are the true owner of the account or something like that

zeeshsnrehman2

Activity: 168

Where is Teddy?

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:44:07 AM

No idea, maybe to let you know that you are the true owner of the account or something like that

well then i have another question, if the account was hacked and the hacker bruteforced the email address of the person, he can sign a message with the account anytime he wants since he can change the password of the account.

i understand its a plausible level of security since everybody urges the signature on almost every deal of accounts or loans. but i havent really understood how and how to know that the message is from the account and not just random

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1074532.msg11485808#msg11485808

Summary - Mr.Bean 2.0   Picture/Text
Name:   Mr.Bean 2.0
Activity:   0
Position:   Brand new
Date Registered:   Today at 12:48:26 AM
Last Active:   Today at 12:54:08 AM
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2015, 12:42:09 PM

[ img]https://i.imgur.com/rB1oVZJ.png[/img]
if others give code like that I'm confused how to read or how to find out that it was true  Huh

Why do you need to do that? It's a signature which tells us whether the message was signed by the address in question.

why do we need a sign message?

Signed message proves you have control over that address.

this puzzles me everytime i see someone asking for a sign message on an account or a wallet. how to determine that the message came from the account itself?

A signed message can be verified. If a person gives you signed message claiming it was signed with addressA and if it is successfully verified, the message *was* signed with addressA. But if the verification failed, message was *not* signed with addressA and hence, the person who gave you this doesn't have control over addressA.

well then i have another question, if the account was hacked and the hacker bruteforced the email address of the person, he can sign a message with the account anytime he wants since he can change the password of the account.

i understand its a plausible level of security since everybody urges the signature on almost every deal of accounts or loans. but i havent really understood how and how to know that the message is from the account and not just random

You are mistaken. Bitcointalk account and Bitcoin address are different. You are signing with a Bitcoin address not with Bitcointalk account.

HarryPotHead

Activity: 192

You are what you eat. PIZZA!

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 12:45:56 PM

This is very good post for us fairly new to btc, learned how to sign a message and that is good to learn something new everyday  Cheesy Thank you I will be sure to send whatever small amount I can afford as soon as I top up.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:52:08 PM

Some use cases for this include:
Proving your identity.
If you associate a wallet with your identity you can sign a message with that wallet. It proves that you have access to that wallet and so you must/should be the owner.

Proof of ability to pay. 
Let's say your auctioning off a house at a closed auction. You only want to invite people who could actually pay if they won. In this case you could require the bidders to sign an address with at least 885BTC, the minimum price.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
sukamasoto
Legendary

Merit: 1006

Black Panther

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 05:23:38 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2015, 04:10:40 PM by sukamasoto

if others give code like that I'm confused how to read or how to find out that it was true  Huh

I think you mean by how to verify it ?
I'm usually using blockchain 's feature to verify the signature. Just put the required BTC addy and the signature, and you will see the result instant.

▄._      
                                       ▀█████████▀ 
                                     ,▄▓████████   
                                ╓▄▓███████████▀   
                           ╓▄▓███████▀╙.  ▀█     
                      ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄▄▄▄███         
                 ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄,  ▓███████        
           .▄▄▓██████▀▀╙▄▄▓████▌ ████████         
      .▄▄███████▀▀╙▄▄  ▐███████▌ ████████         
 .▄▄███████▀▀ ▐▄▄▓████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
╙█████▀▀▐▄▄▓  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████        
 ╙▀ ▄▄▓█████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████             
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 03:59:52 PM

This is a fantastic walkthrough, thank you for it. I also didnt know how to sign a message until now. When i get my beginner friends started with bitcoin, i will definitely share this thread with them!
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 04:46:31 PM

Thank you for doing this, I was able to use your guide to figure out how to do it on Armory.
harizen
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1398

For support ➡️ help.bc.game

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 04:19:33 PM

I used online wallet and that's not Blockchain. Is it possible to signed a message with my primary address? I used my primary address in every transaction (not trading) that's why I like it to be signed or posting it in the "Stake Your Bitcoin Address" thread is the only way to get it signed?

█████████████████████████
████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
█████████████████████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....LOTTERY..
█░░░░░░█░░░░░░█
▀███▀░░▀███▀░░▀███▀
▀░▀░░░░▀░▀░░░░▀░▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░█░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
░█░██░░███░░░█░██
░█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: