Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:46:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sign a message?!  (Read 141321 times)
tarsua

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 03:59:23 AM

To the dude who just read the above message and then tried to log in to my wallet: I have 2FA turned on and your ip is logged at two sites.
Firstly, verified, secondly, someone cant use that to try to log into your wallet, they probably have access to your identifier

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alberthendriks

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:06:11 AM

thanks
MarkMJ

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

one for one and 1 2 3

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:33:19 AM

Nice tutorial and very helpful for newbies and also for me
I never need this,now I need it
Thank you for this tutorial.

I'm RED and that's GOOD, i will never be GREEN and that's not BAD! there's no one i'd rather be than me.
DEV for cryptocurrency but I HATE forks
tarsua

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 02:24:56 PM

Why is this not stickied? have you asked the admins to make it a sticky OP?
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:26:03 PM

apparently most topic that gets stickied is about the forum (rules, guide, etc.). tho this thread should really get stickied since a lot of newbies asks about signed message almost everywhere.
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 08:11:49 PM

apparently most topic that gets stickied is about the forum (rules, guide, etc.). tho this thread should really get stickied since a lot of newbies asks about signed message almost everywhere.

No, I have not asked the admins. I dont know, it feels strange to ask for my own thread to get stickied. Maybe create a thread about it in meta and see how others react to this.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 11:33:15 PM

Added to the Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ:

Q: My account was hacked! What do I do?
A: See this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0. If you don't know how to sign a message, see this thread made by shorena: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

Also, remember when PMing the signed message, send it in [code ][/code ] brackets (just without the space at the end). For example,

Code:
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
My account <account> has been hacked/lost. Please reset the email to <email>. The current date is <date>.
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
<insert address here>
<insert signature here>
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Here is the unedited post where I posted that address: ...
OR
I sent that address to someone in a PM with PM ID#...

If you don't know how to sign a message and the tutorial mentioned before didn't mention your client, google for some tutorials with terms like: "signing messages with <insert your bitcoin client name here>". For example, "signing messages with bitcoin-qt".

Keep up the great work.

MarkMJ

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

one for one and 1 2 3

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 04:32:56 AM

No, I have not asked the admins. I dont know, it feels strange to ask for my own thread to get stickied. Maybe create a thread about it in meta and see how others react to this.

LoL why do you say that?
This is something that all user's need to know
Need to be stickied.

I'm RED and that's GOOD, i will never be GREEN and that's not BAD! there's no one i'd rather be than me.
DEV for cryptocurrency but I HATE forks
camelson
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 08:40:58 PM

Hi dear you are doing very good for this forum. I really appreciate your work. I got much help from your this post.
Can you also add this coinbase link in the OP, it would be much easir for people, and they will not go for asking about how to sign a message in coinbase
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

Thanks
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 08:52:17 PM

Hi dear you are doing very good for this forum. I really appreciate your work. I got much help from your this post.
Can you also add this coinbase link in the OP, it would be much easir for people, and they will not go for asking about how to sign a message in coinbase
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

Thanks

Good idea, done. I still plan to make a version without text, but you are right. Its better to add the link for now.

camelson
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 10:39:49 PM

Thanks

Good idea, done. I still plan to make a version without text, but you are right. Its better to add the link for now.

Thanks for that.

By the way can you please tell me how to sign a message if im using an address from an exchange site like btc-e or bit-x if its possible ?
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 10:58:34 PM

Thanks

Thanks for that.

By the way can you please tell me how to sign a message if im using an address from an exchange site like btc-e or bit-x if its possible ?

my thought is that you cant sign a message directly from the exchange; you need to control the private key of that address, so i think the only workaround here is to get the private key from the exchange (if they provide it, which its likely they wont) and import it to your own wallet to sign the message.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:38:22 PM

Thanks

Thanks for that.

my thought is that you cant sign a message directly from the exchange; you need to control the private key of that address, so i think the only workaround here is to get the private key from the exchange (if they provide it, which its likely they wont) and import it to your own wallet to sign the message.

That's right, if you own the private key. It meant the wallet is yours, and you can do anything you want with the wallet. So it just possible if you have the private key. Smiley

faucet used to be profitable
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 08:28:54 AM

I tried to create a signed message with my coinbase wallet seeing the suggestions at this thread. But at the end, when I sign the message nothing happens. How I must continue? Where I can find the signed message? In which way i can send it in an email address?
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 08:45:31 AM

I tried to create a signed message with my coinbase wallet seeing the suggestions at this thread. But at the end, when I sign the message nothing happens. How I must continue? Where I can find the signed message? In which way i can send it in an email address?

Coinbase does not provide a finished format you can just copy paste AFAIK.

If you follow their how to here -> https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

The message is 5 in the last picture and the signature 7. If you want to use the format suggested here you need to copy it.

Code:
<insert message (5) here>
<insert address here>
<insert signature (7) here>

n2004al
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 08:57:41 AM

If you follow their how to here -> https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1526413-how-do-i-sign-a-message-with-a-bitcoin-address-

The message is 5 in the last picture and the signature 7. If you want to use the format suggested here you need to copy it.

Code:
<insert address here>

Sorry but you must be patient with me. I don't know what is AFAIK. I don't know how to create the format of the message under the "Code" (how is created the box with BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE etc).

How is created this:

Code:
<insert address here>

I must copy from here the writing with capitals (or create myself this format) and then put the other data and then put all between the writing code? Or how?

And what is important the signature 7 cannot be copied. I righ click with my mouse on it but the option to copy is not appear.

Thanks!
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 09:11:10 AM

Code:
<insert address here>

Sorry but you must be patient with me. I don't know what is AFAIK.

AFAIK is short for "as far as I know". I sometimes use it when Im not 100% sure.

I don't know how to create the format of the message under the "Code" (how is created the box with BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE etc).

How is created this:

Code:
<insert address here>

You have to do it yourself. If your address is A, the message you wrote is B and the signature that coinbase created for you is C you copy paste the above like this:
Code:
<insert address here>

and replace the parts with A, B and C, like this:

Code:
B
A
C

I must copy the writing with capitals and then put the other data and then put all between the writing code? Or how?

Yes.

And at the end the signature 7 cannot be copied. I righ click with my mouse on it but the option to copy is not appear.

Thanks!

This might be a browser issue. I can tripple click the box in chrome and rightclick copy the signature.

n2004al
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:14:21 AM

Code:
<insert address here>

Sorry but you must be patient with me. I don't know what is AFAIK.

AFAIK is short for "as far as I know". I sometimes use it when Im not 100% sure.

I don't know how to create the format of the message under the "Code" (how is created the box with BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE etc).

How is created this:

Code:
<insert address here>

You have to do it yourself. If your address is A, the message you wrote is B and the signature that coinbase created for you is C you copy paste the above like this:
Code:
<insert address here>

and replace the parts with A, B and C, like this:

Code:
B
A
C

I must copy the writing with capitals and then put the other data and then put all between the writing code? Or how?

Yes.

And at the end the signature 7 cannot be copied. I righ click with my mouse on it but the option to copy is not appear.

Thanks!

This might be a browser issue. I can tripple click the box in chrome and rightclick copy the signature.

Everything clear. A big thanks!!!!
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 03:25:45 PM

The image[1] and similar format in the tutorial might be misleading to newbies. A few users started posting signed messages like it. Eg:-

Code:
<This is shorena from bitcointalk.org and today is the 24th of April 2015. I publish my guide to sign message with bitcoin addresses and all related pictures under CC BY-SA 3.0 link to guide : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0 link to license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>
<18uTXyQubfaYrkbQDdaXhzd2ALEY5YN77B>
<IDYQyGOx2rG9aJ3bZH/SJSRFZJMZiMrIxiNNY1Hv9geHLlYeGdYbH+AxNbT+qXGmEzojFt//loC+sj8yGo6AV9A=>

I think if you put a note there mentioning to ignore '<>' signs maybe good.

[1] https://i.imgur.com/UZDCSad.png

shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 03:36:43 PM

The image[1] and similar format in the tutorial might be misleading to newbies. A few users started posting signed messages like it. Eg:-

Code:
<This is shorena from bitcointalk.org and today is the 24th of April 2015. I publish my guide to sign message with bitcoin addresses and all related pictures under CC BY-SA 3.0 link to guide : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0 link to license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>
<18uTXyQubfaYrkbQDdaXhzd2ALEY5YN77B>
<IDYQyGOx2rG9aJ3bZH/SJSRFZJMZiMrIxiNNY1Hv9geHLlYeGdYbH+AxNbT+qXGmEzojFt//loC+sj8yGo6AV9A=>

I think if you put a note there mentioning to ignore '<>' signs maybe good.

[1] https://i.imgur.com/UZDCSad.png

Done, thanks for the tipp. It might be better if I redo the picture, what do you think?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: