Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:40:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sign a message?!  (Read 141345 times)
Ceizer54

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 05:08:41 PM

This guide is awesome and explains "signing a message" in very easy way and in detail..i wonder why this thread is not a sticky Cheesy
@shorena Have you considered talking to admin to make this thread a sticky so that no newbee look here and there asking for this "what is signing a message" question?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 05:26:46 PM

This guide is awesome and explains "signing a message" in very easy way and in detail..i wonder why this thread is not a sticky Cheesy
@shorena Have you considered talking to admin to make this thread a sticky so that no newbee look here and there asking for this "what is signing a message" question?

There was a thread asking for it to be stickied, yes. The answer was something along the lines of "we cant sticky all good threads", maybe an overview thread could be stickied. That wasnt stickied either. Just keep spreading it around Smiley

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 07:18:44 PM

hi shorena,Can you help me restore my account has been stolen ?
name: Altynbekova
btc address: 16DGWwDyKcd4jsig7ehvTkeLmVTmebduAy
email: lalurizkirno@gmail.com
and everything has been replaced.

No, only admins can do that. They usually require a signed message though. If the guides above are not helping, let me know which wallet software/service you use. I can check whether they allow signing and make a guide is possible.

Also if people out there are reading this if you have not already stake a BTC address in meta.  It helps if you need to recover an account ever, as you have a address you can easily point to.

But be warned it can be a slow process.  Admin's are busy so can be take a bit.  And if stolen where 2 claim it's theirs it will take even longer I'm guessing.
larem

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 10:16:19 PM

No, only admins can do that. They usually require a signed message though. If the guides above are not helping, let me know which wallet software/service you use. I can check whether they allow signing and make a guide is possible.

Also if people out there are reading this if you have not already stake a BTC address in meta.  It helps if you need to recover an account ever, as you have a address you can easily point to.

But be warned it can be a slow process.  Admin's are busy so can be take a bit.  And if stolen where 2 claim it's theirs it will take even longer I'm guessing.

Until this thread I wasn't aware we could use the forum address spot to prove ownership.

Scamalert

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Captain

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 10:44:22 PM

Until this thread I wasn't aware we could use the forum address spot to prove ownership.

you have properly been too busy posting all over the place to get signature rewards instead of reading and educating yourself about the basics....
wlefever
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 10:51:48 PM

I don't know how I never came across this thread, but I just have to say thank you for these tutorials! I couldn't believe how many people struggle to sign messages from various wallets.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 02:24:53 AM

Also if people out there are reading this if you have not already stake a BTC address in meta.  It helps if you need to recover an account ever, as you have a address you can easily point to.

But be warned it can be a slow process.  Admin's are busy so can be take a bit.  And if stolen where 2 claim it's theirs it will take even longer I'm guessing.

you have properly been too busy posting all over the place to get signature rewards instead of reading and educating yourself about the basics....

He could not read Meta.  If you don't read meta you will not see near as many of these.  Meta is full of them as it sadly happens to often it seems.   I suggest people to read Meta there really is some good info in it sometimes.

Make sure to stake a address in meta if you have not.  It could save you or others.
larem

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:26:38 AM

He could not read Meta.  If you don't read meta you will not see near as many of these.  Meta is full of them as it sadly happens to often it seems.   I suggest people to read Meta there really is some good info in it sometimes.

Make sure to stake a address in meta if you have not.  It could save you or others.

Exactly. Most people don't read the Meta forums, just like they don't read the Legal and etc. Most of the stuff in those isn't of real use to many people.

knightkon

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 01:40:35 AM

Has anyone else been having issues with verifying signed messages through Blocktrial?  I tried to verify someone else's message and I turned them down for a loan because of it.  Then I tried another person and got the same message.  So I tried my own, knowing it is right and it still did not verify.

███████████████████████████
██████████▄▄███▄▄██████████
████████▄█████████▄████████
██████▄█████████████▄██████
█████▄███████████████▄█████
█████▀███████████████▀█████
███████▀███████████▀███████
█████████▀███████▀█████████
███████████▀███▀███████████
.BITAMP..
   BITAMP BITCOIN WALLET   
Easy to use, client-side, &
open-source Bitcoin wallet
████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄████████
████▄▀▀▀   ▄▄█▄▄   ▀▀▀▄████
█████ ▀▄▄▀▀     ▀▀▄▄▀ █████
█████  █    ███    █  █████
█████  █   ▄███▄   █  █████
█████  █  ███████  █  █████
████▀▄ ▀▄ ███████ ▄▀ ▄▀████
█████▀▄ ▀▄       ▄▀ ▄▀█████
██████▀▄  ▀▄▄ ▄▄▀  ▄▀██████
████████▀▄   █   ▄▀████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████▄▀▀▀▄  ▄███▄  ▄▀▀▀▄████
█████   █ ▐█████▌ █   █████
███▄▄▀ ▀▄  ▀███▀  ▄▀ ▀▄▄███
██      ▄██▀▀▀██▄      ███
██     ███▄███ ███     ███
███▄▄▄▄ █████▄▄████ ▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄▄▄▄█▄████
███████████████████████▀███
█████▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄████████
███████▄▀  ▄█▄█▄  ▀▄███████
██████▄▀   █    █  ▀▄██████
███████    █▀▀▀▀▄   ███████
██████▀▄   █    █  ▄▀██████
███████▀▄  ▀█▀█▀  ▄▀███████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄█████
███▄███████████████████████
████▀█▀▀▀▀█████████████████
|SECURE
ANONYMOUS
INSTANT
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 08:13:33 AM

Has anyone else been having issues with verifying signed messages through Blocktrial?  I tried to verify someone else's message and I turned them down for a loan because of it.  Then I tried another person and got the same message.  So I tried my own, knowing it is right and it still did not verify.

Do you have an example? Sometimes people use specific symbols that are not as common and are not tested. If you can reproduce a valid signature that fails for blocktrail we can contact them for a fix. They are usually very responsive. You can also try to crosscheck with Chain Query.

zodiac3011

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:09:27 PM

Thanks a lot I have to say! I saw some messages like in OP quite often but I don't really know how to do that and what's that for but now as I am getting into running business to prove that there's nothing scammy I have to sign message and this helps me a lot! (It's kinda weird for a senior member for not knowing how to sign a message I think Grin but yep all I do is send and receive)
KenR

Activity: 910

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 09:53:58 AM

Wish I could have found this thread earlier ,things would have been quite easy. Smiley I want to know how do we verify a message using Electrum.I use coinig but don't really like it ,there is an option in Electrum to verify but not sure how to use it.I already tried copy pasting addresses and messages in the respective boxes but does not work.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 10:01:10 AM

Wish I could have found this thread earlier ,things would have been quite easy. Smiley I want to know how do we verify a message using Electrum.I use coinig but don't really like it ,there is an option in Electrum to verify but not sure how to use it.I already tried copy pasting addresses and messages in the respective boxes but does not work.

Verification is very similar to signing with electrum. Put the message, the address and the signature in place and hit the verify button. When the signature is correct a small pop up comes up with "signature verified".

I still have not done the pictures for those, shame on me.

gribble

Activity: 966
Merit: 552

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 04:11:26 AM

Thank you very much. If i wanna borrow i must sign a message on my wallet.  Cheesy
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:38:08 AM

This was so nice to read, I understood everything on how to sign a message except one thing???

Where do you find the signature Huh Couldn't find out. I can sign a message now but where is signature add  Huh

Sorry if this sound stupid, but I am not very familiar with BTC yet, although I have a decent amount sitting in my wallet.
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 11:45:48 AM

This was so nice to read, I understood everything on how to sign a message except one thing???

Where do you find the signature Huh Couldn't find out. I can sign a message now but where is signature add  Huh

Sorry if this sound stupid, but I am not very familiar with BTC yet, although I have a decent amount sitting in my wallet.

which wallet software/service do you use?

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 12:41:14 PM

I have downloaded Electrum and Multibit. Using both as per users instructions in this forum in another thread of mine.
shorena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 01:13:10 PM

I have downloaded Electrum and Multibit. Using both as per users instructions in this forum in another thread of mine.

For electrum the signature will show up as soon as hit the OK button on the password entering window. Its marked as blue in the picture[1] in the OP.

Similarly for multibit classic the signature shows up after you hit "sign message" and is marked as blue here[2].

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0#post_electrum198
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0#post_multibit0518

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:43:05 PM

Thanks a lot, fully understood now.
gribble

Activity: 966
Merit: 552

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 03:43:01 PM

Thanks a lot, fully understood now.
What was you have been understood? Do you mean you have been understood how to make loans?  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: