Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:03:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: IT Administrator Mining  (Read 15441 times)
DMetcalfe92 (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:26:55 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 03:24:49 PM by DMetcalfe92

/
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:28:45 PM

Hey guys!
I'm an IT administrator for a medium sized manufactoring company.

Currently, I'm achieving around 150 MH/s by CPU Mining on all PCs in the company
Is there a command line GPU Miner available that trys all available methods (cuda, opencl, etc) to mine, then exits if none work?

I just want all (usable) pcs to run at 0 agression and mine with their GPUs for my pockets benefit Smiley
Termination in 3 - 2 - 1...

Do you realize how much your company's electricity usage is going to go up by? Not to mention unnecessary wear and tear on the poor computers. I hope you have (at the very least) permission to do so.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 03:29:38 PM

This might be considered somewhat off-topic for your question, but make sure you have permission to do this or you could get into trouble.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:31:08 PM

If the 92 in OP's name is his birth year, it explains a lot. Cool

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
DMetcalfe92 (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:53:15 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 03:26:10 PM by DMetcalfe92

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 03:58:45 PM

I don't have permission, but I can't be caught because I'm the only person smart enough in IT to figure out what's going on!

Then they probably wouldn't notice if you just took a few computers home with you for your "pockets benefit", either...
DMetcalfe92 (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 04:00:42 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 03:25:06 PM by DMetcalfe92

server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 04:04:43 PM

I don't have permission, but I can't be caught because I'm the only person smart enough in IT to figure out what's going on!

Then they probably wouldn't notice if you just took a few computers home with you for your "pockets benefit", either...

As a matter of fact, they dont. I've taken 10+ sticks of RAM, a few PSUs, tons of HDDs, printer power supplies, a laptop, a PC
Ebay FTW

omg. you. ass

DMetcalfe92 (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 04:05:10 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 03:26:23 PM by DMetcalfe92

Glasswalker

Activity: 407

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 04:05:27 PM

Wow... Is it just me who finds this offensive? (as a fellow IT Professional for the past 15 years).

Also I wouldn't bet "they can't catch you" if I were you... They could (likely) notice the increased power usage, and when they do they may start investigating (calling the utility company, to find out why, they may send someone to meter it, and so on, eventually figuring out that it's the computers drawing power, at that point you're going to have some explaining to do).

BattleDrome: Blockchain based Gladiator Combat for fun and profit!
http://www.battledrome.io/
server
Legendary

Activity: 892

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 04:08:04 PM

Owned lol.
So, does anyone have a reply to my original question?
sure, but I don't like you.

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 04:10:44 PM

I found a former employee's eBay listings for missing stuff in the company I worked for, it was fun calling him at home and listening to him on speakerphone try to explain his way out of it. Of course calling him was just so we could listen to the cops beating on his apartment door and arresting him.

Owned LOL
DMetcalfe92 (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 04:30:52 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 03:26:34 PM by DMetcalfe92

Glasswalker

Activity: 407

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 04:50:45 PM

Well considering an idling PC will consume 100Watt or so, and an active mining PC with a single GPU will consume 400W+ that's a 300% increase in power.

So if your computers currently consume 5% of your overall power, you might see increases of 15% in power usage. Any business manager with half a brain would likely ask questions where that power usage is coming from.

But that argument aside, even if they don't notice.

What your doing is flat out morally wrong, it's theft. And regardless of how you justify it, you're going to have to deal with the consequences when you eventually get caught and:
- You are fired from your job
- You are charged criminally
- You are no longer bondable destroying any longterm career prospects

BattleDrome: Blockchain based Gladiator Combat for fun and profit!
http://www.battledrome.io/
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 05:05:56 PM

You are CPU mining? That is hardly worth the effort, let alone the risk. If you have no qualms about acting criminally, then why not sell some of those memory sticks and buy a few GPUs? They will be more energy efficient than all those CPUs.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 05:47:02 PM

As a matter of fact, they dont. I've taken 10+ sticks of RAM, a few PSUs, tons of HDDs, printer power supplies, a laptop, a PC
Ebay FTW

You do know that is considered a criminal act by US Federal Law, right? And you do realize advocating illegal acts are against forum rules, right?

slider1978

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 06:19:08 PM

Wow... Is it just me who finds this offensive? (as a fellow IT Professional for the past 15 years).

Also I wouldn't bet "they can't catch you" if I were you... They could (likely) notice the increased power usage, and when they do they may start investigating (calling the utility company, to find out why, they may send someone to meter it, and so on, eventually figuring out that it's the computers drawing power, at that point you're going to have some explaining to do).

+1 to this. As an IT admin myself this sickens me. I would hope that the mod's on this board who have logged your IP address will use it to find out which company you work for and notify them of this thread. I personally would be willing to come in to that business and gather forensic evidence to have you arrested, and I'd do it pro bono.
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 06:31:28 PM

+1 to this. As an IT admin myself this sickens me. I would hope that the mod's on this board who have logged your IP address will use it to find out which company you work for and notify them of this thread. I personally would be willing to come in to that business and gather forensic evidence to have you arrested, and I'd do it pro bono.

Me too. Plus, any industry with electricity consumption in hundreds of kW and more has usually pretty tight agreement with electricity supplier with hefty fines for exceeding contractual load, so there is big incentive to monitor power usage.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 04:24:14 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2012, 05:55:53 AM by julz

Does a user on this forum have to defraud another forum user in order to earn the 'scammer' badge?
It'd be nice if mods would stretch to tagging this guy for self-admitted ongoing fraudulent activity.

If he has no qualms about stealing from his employer - he'll likely have no qualms about stealing from other bitcoiners whenever he thinks he can get away with it.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:24:38 AM

Does a user on this forum have to defraud another forum user in order to earn the 'scammer' badge?
It'd be nice if mods would stretch to tagging this guy for self-admitted ongoing fraudulent activity.

If he has no qualms about stealing from his employer - he'll likely have no qualms about stealing from other bitcoiners whenever he thinks he can get away with it.

Better yet, I hope the forum admins turn his IP in to the cops of his local area.

Even better if he's posting from work, and the IP leads them straight to it.
irobindotse

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 11:21:22 AM

Just had to reply on this Cheesy, a bit funny.

Not maybe the part of stealing and selling it on ebay, but trying to use the computer resources from work.

I think you are not the only one who had some thoughts if this is possible in any easy way, many people in this forum is working with IT for a living.

Good luck! Cheesy

Regards
Robin
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 11:22:25 AM

Better yet, I hope the forum admins turn his IP in to the cops of his local area.

We admins are dicks, but not those kind of dicks. Unless its Friday, then here comes the bourbon.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 03:53:17 PM

Hey guys!

Currently, I'm achieving around 150 MH/s by CPU Mining on all PCs in the company
Is there a command line GPU Miner available that trys all available methods (cuda, opencl, etc) to mine, then exits if none work?

I just want all (usable) pcs to run at 0 agression and mine with their GPUs for my pockets benefit Smiley

You claim to be the IT admin yet you do not know which machines have a GPU nor, if they do, what kind of GPU they have?

(tl;dr You're incompetent as well as crooked?)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 04:09:37 PM

We admins are dicks, but not those kind of dicks. Unless its Friday, then here comes the bourbon.
Well, that's too bad.
Valalvax

Activity: 437

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 06:49:28 AM

Hey guys!

You claim to be the IT admin yet you do not know which machines have a GPU nor, if they do, what kind of GPU they have?

(tl;dr You're incompetent as well as crooked?)

-MarkM-

Probably lazy.... or realizes that if he has to do "emergency tinkering" with every single computer in the complex at the same time as power usage increases, someone will go "hmmm"
MrTiggr

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 09:53:04 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 12:08:29 PM by MrTiggr

DMetcalfe92:

Can i first say that, as a seasoned IT worker i personally find this kind of behaviour and blatant admission of criminal activity to be abhorrent.

I can only hope that karma sees it fit your employer catches wind of this and takes some instant action - in the industry, we call this kind of forum posting a CLM (Career Limiting Move); criminal charges against you by an employer are generally the kind of thing that follows you for the rest of your career.

Ill content with waiting for karma, i began to wonder what D Metcalfe 92 might be a contraction of.... and armed with your self-confessed skills portfolio
(from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?&topic=61890.msg722090#msg722090 )
we found a little something you might find interesting..

IF your name just happened to be Daniel Metcalfe then this link with a very similar set of skills might worry you:

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/daniel-metcalfe/45/824/a76

Especially because it lists the lovely services of [Weston EU Ltd August 2008 – Present (3 years 8 months)] as this this persons current employer...

http://www.westoneu.net/westoneu.html

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employee behaving like this.

I REALLY hope you werent that silly bro

Someone call the partyvan.

Cheers
MrTiggr
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 10:21:33 AM

DMetcalfe92:

Can i first say that, as a seasoned IT worker i personally find this kind of behaviour and blatant admission of criminal activity to be abhorrent.

I can only hope that karma sees it fit your employer catches wind of this and takes some instant action - in the industry, we call this kind of forum posting a CLM (Career Limiting Move); criminal charges against you by an employer are generally the kind of thing that follows you for the rest of your career.

Ill content with waiting for karma, i began to wonder what D Metcalfe 92 might be a contraction of.... and armed with your self-confessed skills portfolio
(from here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?&topic=61890.msg722090#msg722090 )

IF your name just happened to be Daniel Metcalfe then this link with a very similar set of skills might worry you:

Especially because it lists the lovely services of [Weston EU Ltd August 2008 – Present (3 years 8 months)] as this this persons current employer...

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employer behaving like this.

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1
The LT

Activity: 186

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 10:37:05 AM

Cheers
MrTiggr

Sounds too stupid to be true. Roll Eyes
slider1978

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:24:38 PM

DMetcalfe92:

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employee behaving like this.

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1 for this as well
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 04:26:16 PM

He can write an HTML website from scratch in notepad!  Amazing!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 04:50:15 PM

Gotta suck to be that guy, I'd hate to lose a job I've had for almost 4 years cause I bragged on the internet to some people I don't even know. Wonder if they'll press charges or just let him resign. If they press charges OP, good luck ever getting a good job. Or a job at all with the current unemployment rates.

Good example of why you don't post illegal activities. It's always gonna piss somebody off. Can't say you weren't warned either.

What your doing is flat out morally wrong, it's theft. And regardless of how you justify it, you're going to have to deal with the consequences when you eventually get caught and:
- You are fired from your job
- You are charged criminally
- You are no longer bondable destroying any longterm career prospects

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
btc_artist

Activity: 154

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 09:05:41 PM

Ebay FTW
You're a thief and you admit it. I want nothing to do with you.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:23:11 AM

Ebay FTW
then you probably should stick to that... more profit than mining....
NO, i am not encouraging anyone to do this.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:29:10 AM

+1 and +1

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
phr0stbyt3

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 01:59:47 AM

+1 My first firing was some smug asshole who didn't check the back of his computer for the keyghost I installed.
...And I quote:
"I could walk out of here with the roof and these idiots wouldn't know it was missing. So seriously, do you want these 35 PSU's or not? I've got more work to pretend to be doing."

Using your company's power and computers for mining is kinda funny, but blatantly admitting to stealing ram and laptops to sell them on eBay? Seriously? If you fuck this up when you're 20 you will not be able to be bonded when you're older and responsible and it will be time for a career change.

Enjoy bagging my groceries.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 03:15:24 AM

CPU mining on someone elses hardware is like ripping out copper pipes from a house.  You steal it to get $100 and cause $10,000 in damage.

luo demin

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 05:53:43 AM

DMetcalfe92 is in the running for today's Darwin award for sure.
Exonumia

Activity: 189

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 07:46:48 AM

You are CPU mining? That is hardly worth the effort, let alone the risk. If you have no qualms about acting criminally, then why not sell some of those memory sticks and buy a few GPUs? They will be more energy efficient than all those CPUs.

150MH/sec he has to be... rofl. This has to be a troll.

If it is not then OP, take your stolen IT equipment, ebay it, and buy yourself an ATI/AMD graphics card... the electric company/business/pcs your thrashing will thank you Cheesy
Enigma81

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 08:24:42 AM

Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Your Pink Slip</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
DMetcalfe92, You're Fired.  The Police are waiting for you in the lobby
</BODY>
</HTML>
DiabloD3
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 09:03:56 AM

Code:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Your Pink Slip</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
DMetcalfe92, You're Fired.  The Police are waiting for you in the lobby
</BODY>
</HTML>

Forgot your <h1> there.

nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:07:04 PM

Ebay FTW
then you probably should stick to that... more profit than mining....
NO, i am not encouraging anyone to do this.

I had a friend from youth and he pursued IT as well as I.  A pretty dishonest guy and guilty of the kind of behavior that OP stated.

My friend always took the easy way if risk was manageable.  He wasn't a very good IT guy in regards to skill because of the affect of his ethics.

I'm afraid that there all kinds of people in every industry.  What sucks is these people can and do find work and often are a thorn in the side of colleagues with stronger work ethic.

Ultimately, I attribute the last sentence to incompetent managers; there are a crap load more of those compared to crappy grunts.
MrTiggr

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 02:13:47 PM

DMetcalfe92:

Ill content with waiting for karma, i began to wonder what D Metcalfe 92 might be a contraction of....

Sounds like a lovely family operation - it would be terrible to hear that the Sutton's had gotten wind of an employer behaving like this.

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1

Thanks for the bumps all!

i notice we haven't heard from daniel ... sorry dmetcalfe92 since i posted this, i wonder why..

?? did anyone ever call that partyvan ? Wink
DMetcalfe92 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 03:25:27 PM

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 03:35:38 PM

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 04:26:42 PM

.../0DaYWaReZ
bangra

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 04:37:20 PM

...---...
SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:44:31 AM

pwned.
RicePicker

Activity: 216

RicePicker

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:05:34 AM

It just amazes me how idiotic people can be on the internet. Just because you have a small penis doesn't mean you should compensate by waving around your retarded e-penis. Do people get butt raped in UK prison?  

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid! =D
Regex

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:37:52 PM

Just a quick thought here:

IF this guy DMetcalfe92 really is Daniel Metcalfe, working at Weston EU then he is a huge jackass and earns nothing but to be fired (and to be sued).

However, I just can't believe that anybody would be THAT stupid... posting what illegal activities he has done and what he plans to do with an account named after his real name and his year of birth. Sounds reeeeally funny to me... what if anyone actually wants this Daniel Metcalfe to lose his job?

Just my 2 bitcents ...
TheSeven

Activity: 504

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 03:26:25 PM

I don't think so. This looks very much like it's real.
  • Look at his other posts. I don't think anyone else who just wants Daniel Metcalfe to be fired would post those other things.
  • Look at how he emptied all the posts in this thread after his identity was uncovered by MrTiggr.
  • He probably though he's in some kind of (cr|h)acker community here that would endorse this kind of behavior, and wanted to show off.
  • People just are incredibly naive sometimes.

Just go ahead and inform Weston EU, should be fairly easy to figure out if there's a power bill increase and lots of missing inventory in that company's IT department. I'd guess that he has stopped mining in the meantime though.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
Regex

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 04:11:18 PM

Right.

Anyways, if he really, REALLY is Daniel Metcalfe then he is incredibly stupid. Extraordinary stupid.
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 04:50:32 PM

Tick tock tock  Cool

pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:53:35 PM

Weston EU almost certainly has so called half-hourly power meters and have ability to chart their power usage in almost real time. Even if he stopped CPU mining (allegedly), abnormal power usage particularly during night hours in recent past would be obvious.

There is only one commodity on this planet that is indeed infinite...

Is stupidity called a commodity?
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:56:44 PM

Weston EU almost certainly has so called half-hourly power meters and have ability to chart their power usage in almost real time. Even if he stopped CPU mining (allegedly), abnormal power usage particularly during night hours in recent past would be obvious.

There is only one commodity on this planet that is indeed infinite...

Why they would be stupid enough to leave the PCs on during night hours is beyond me ...

Maybe they are manufacturing then as well as during the day Huh
DarkMatter

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

Stop trying to steal my account, thanks.

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 07:47:26 PM

Guys this is just too hilarious to be true.
This asshole really deserved it.
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:46:43 PM

I don't think so. This looks very much like it's real.
  • Look at his other posts. I don't think anyone else who just wants Daniel Metcalfe to be fired would post those other things.
  • Look at how he emptied all the posts in this thread after his identity was uncovered by MrTiggr.
  • He probably though he's in some kind of (cr|h)acker community here that would endorse this kind of behavior, and wanted to show off.
  • People just are incredibly naive sometimes.

Just go ahead and inform Weston EU, should be fairly easy to figure out if there's a power bill increase and lots of missing inventory in that company's IT department. I'd guess that he has stopped mining in the meantime though.

He can delete the posts, but not the response quotes from his posts.  If it wasn't him why would he bother destroying the evidence?  So, anyone willing to send Weston EU a link to this thread? 

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 10:19:19 PM

He can delete the posts, but not the response quotes from his posts.  If it wasn't him why would he bother destroying the evidence?  So, anyone willing to send Weston EU a link to this thread? 

He can claim that those would be fake though. That's why I'd rather track him down by other means (missing inventory, power consumption spikes, ...)

nedbert9

Inactive

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 10:27:06 PM

It just amazes me how idiotic people can be on the internet. Just because you have a small penis doesn't mean you should compensate by waving around your retarded e-penis. Do people get butt raped in UK prison?  

lulz.

Sure, inform his employer.  I think it's warranted in this case.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 02:19:31 AM

Ain't this just too stupid to be true?  Then again, life is often stranger than fiction. Can't feel sorry for this asshole.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
phr0stbyt3

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 04:31:09 PM

I think this may have been taken a little too far....lol

Anyways, like I said: My first firing was some smug asshole who didn't cover his tracks properly Tongue

Edit: I take that back, I forgot about the stolen laptops and ram to sell on eBay admission. Burn the heretic!
MrTiggr

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:10:00 PM

Cheesy /me *giggles*

wow - such a nifty trick to delete all his posts....

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel .... on the internetz, you cannot un-ring a bell:

https://i.imgur.com/7zBVa.jpg

THAT is a screenshot of your complete PRE-deleted thread - and i am sure webarchive.org and wayback machines of all kinds will regurgitate this thread happily unredacted... not to mention the sheer fact that this thread will now appear in the Google searches of all your future employers (yes, during recruitment - companies use Google!)

Chalk it up as a black mark on your permanent internet record, bro - "this is one doodle that cant be un-did; home-skillet!"

Cheers
T
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:15:45 PM

Cheesy /me *giggles*

wow - such a nifty trick to delete all his posts....

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel .... on the internetz, you cannot un-ring a bell:

https://i.imgur.com/7zBVa.jpg

THAT is a screenshot of your complete PRE-deleted thread - and i am sure webarchive.org and wayback machines of all kinds will regurgitate this thread happily unredacted... not to mention the sheer fact that this thread will now appear in the Google searches of all your future employers (yes, during recruitment - companies use Google!)

Chalk it up as a black mark on your permanent internet record, bro - "this is one doodle that cant be un-did; home-skillet!"

Cheers
T
Pwned  Grin
pieppiep

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:22:49 PM

Here is another post of him.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67579.msg786416#msg786416

Too bad im not on 64-bit windows Sad

Anything is efficient for me. I'll be running this miner from work, so i don't pay electricity!

SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 03:59:30 AM

Oops.

good on ya.
Valalvax

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 04:00:00 AM

I posted this thread to Facebook

A friend of mine posted this in that thread

"Hi Don, hope this is your real address, thank you for bringing this to our attention, it has turned out to be true and Daniel has admitted these crimes.

The matter is being dealt with by our HR Manager Julie Beckett.

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
IT Manager & SAP Administrator
Weston EU Ltd"
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 04:02:33 AM

"Hi Don, hope this is your real address, thank you for bringing this to our attention, it has turned out to be true and Daniel has admitted these crimes.

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
Weston EU Ltd"

Bahaha fantastic.
Can't understand why someone would CPU mine with their employer's hardware.
The payoff is miniscule, it's totally illegal and there's a real and significant chance of getting caught, fired and charged (in this case presumably under the computer misuse act).
Not to mention getting sued by the (former) employer.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 04:11:33 AM

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
Weston EU Ltd"
That's pretty dang hilarious.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 04:40:10 AM

What was the total anyway? 150 Mhash/s? He couldn't have possibly even made an entire coin in that short space of time. Lulz.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 05:07:34 AM

*pwned totally* Grin

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
Weston EU Ltd"
That's pretty dang hilarious.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1654
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 05:11:22 AM

The guys asked for it. He's a thief and comes here to brag about it and asks for advice to further steal from his company. And he's stupid enough to use a username that gives away his real name. Seriously?

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 06:19:33 AM

Holy swift justice Batman. I figured we'd never find out anything and this thread would slowly die.

SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 06:45:36 AM

Holy swift justice Batman. I figured we'd never find out anything and this thread would slowly die.

Nup, #bitcoin-police pwned him.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:01:21 AM

I remember the old days when I used to run Folding @ Home on 100+ computers at work.  The goal was to seriously find a cure for cancer.  There was no financial gain back then.  Boss found out after a while that every computer had 100% CPU usage, but no process listed, lol.  I explained to him the project, how I did it all automatically with scripts, etc.  I had to take down the cluster, but my boss was seriously impressed with my skills on how to handle a big cluster of folding machines.  He later used my scripts that I developed to push out certain new software.  It was such a win situation!  I feel bad for these IT guys who get busted for bitcoin mining and the bosses don't recognize they actually have skills that can be guided towards being more productive.  What ever happened to hackers that got hired by the company they hacked into because they proved their skills!?!?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:06:44 AM

I remember the old days when I used to run Folding @ Home on 100+ computers at work.  The goal was to seriously find a cure for cancer.  There was no financial gain back then.  Boss found out after a while that every computer had 100% CPU usage, but no process listed, lol.  I explained to him the project, how I did it all automatically with scripts, etc.  I had to take down the cluster, but my boss was seriously impressed with my skills on how to handle a big cluster of folding machines.  He later used my scripts that I developed to push out certain new software.  It was such a win situation!  I feel bad for these IT guys who get busted for bitcoin mining and the bosses don't recognize they actually have skills that can be guided towards being more productive.  What ever happened to hackers that got hired by the company they hacked into because they proved their skills!?!?
This is quite different as he's doing this for personal gain.
Enigma81

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:08:05 AM

Well, skills are great things to have, but most companies are far more interested in an employee's values and morals.  Skills can be taught and molded, morals are pretty much set in stone by the time one reaches career age.

Even in your case - while I don't ever agree with using someone's resources without their knowledge - you did it with good intentions.  Curing cancer is a long way from making a buck with bitcoin and selling your employer's hardware on ebay.  This guy wasn't a hacker (for good or bad), and his morals were obviously fuxed up.  

enigma
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:16:36 AM

Ok so I shouldn't tell you how I brought my personal video card to work and used it to mine bitcoins while my new video cards mined at home.  Got it!  Got busted for that one too, this time I did not try to hide anything more for the IT boss/director  Tongue
pieppiep

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 08:05:10 AM

And you forget he stole hardware and sold it on ebay.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 12:21:59 PM

This is the most bad point about this situation. If he only mined coins on the system this wouldn't be that bad at all.
SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 01:08:06 PM

This is the most bad point about this situation. If he only mined coins on the system this wouldn't be that bad at all.

It's still stealing company resources.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 01:10:48 PM

He might get off with a reprimand if it's only bitcoin mining. Stealing escalates this whole matter.
phr0stbyt3

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 07:55:29 PM

He might get off with a reprimand if it's only bitcoin mining. Stealing escalates this whole matter.

Yes, electricity that gets written off on taxes as a business expense is one thing. The "I've taken 10+ ram sticks, LAPTOPS and sold them on eBay" thing was what got my idiot meter going.

Daniel if you're still reading this thread I hope that everything works out for you for the better and that you seriously learn a lesson.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:25:49 AM

What the fuck. How did I know about this thread?

-_-

Ahh...it's in "Mining". Carry on.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:01:46 AM

What the fuck. How did I know about this thread?

-_-

Ahh...it's in "Mining". Carry on.
April Issue... new topic has presented itself.  :p
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:14:42 AM

metcalfing (verb):

1. To disclose illegal or immoral activities while unwittingly giving clues to the individual's true identity.

My buddy got caught metcalfing on a dating site by his wife.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:17:16 AM

metcalfing (verb):

1. To disclose illegal or immoral activities while unwittingly giving clues to the individual's true identity.

Hahahaha, awesome

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:36:16 AM

metcalfing (verb):

+1... off to urban dictionary we go...
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:39:57 AM

metcalfing (verb):

Indirectly advertising Bitcoin on urban dictionary?  Excellent.  Smiley
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:33:28 AM

He could mine that kind of speed up $100 with a very low end card.

But considering how dishonest this goofball is, I would not expect him to be a savvy enough administrator to be able to fine tune cards that way.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:41:08 AM

He should use servers and a bigger cluster.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/secret-money-abc-virtual-currency-racket-probe-20110623-1ggp6.html

(maybe dated and misguided)
localhost

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:59:10 PM

metcalfing (verb):

Seriously, this already exists... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metcalfe  Shocked
Hilarious thread, otherwise...

-
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 02:55:38 AM

DMetcalfe92:

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:40:00 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:52:46 PM

It's more the theft and ebaying of company property that I believe most people had an issue with.
Snapman

Activity: 291

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 06:58:15 PM

Well will you look at that, seems OP removed all his messages from the thread. Busted much?

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
pieppiep

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:06:59 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
Well, bathroom is obvious, I just can't hold it 8 hours.
The rest, if the boss don't allow this small things the morale would get lower and actually less work will be done.
The use of cpu's for mining for bitcoin doesn't do a thing with morale and just steal electricity.

/edit, not sure if morale is the correct word for this (primary language is not english)
Maybe working atmosphere is a better one.
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:31:15 PM

Well, bathroom is obvious, I just can't hold it 8 hours.
The rest, if the boss don't allow this small things the morale would get lower and actually less work will be done.
The use of cpu's for mining for bitcoin doesn't do a thing with morale and just steal electricity.

/edit, not sure if morale is the correct word for this (primary language is not english)
Maybe working atmosphere is a better one.

You don't have to hold it 8 hours.  Just max of 2 hours (or maybe 4 depending on your labor rules of your country) until your permitted break.  I've worked production lines before, you hold it, but never had I had to hold it for 8 hours in any job.   And no, if you're not worried about those other activities, you will get a lot of work done during your work day.  You'd be surprised what you can get done if you're not being distracted.
pieppiep

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:35:45 PM

But sometimes I just need the distraction.
I'm a computer programmer, and when I'm thinking to long for something and it's just not working I don't get anything furter.
The I read one or two news articles or some new posts on this forum, then go back to work and suddenly just see the problem I was having.
Perhaps it's not that way for everybody, but for me it is better that way.

Ofcourse hours and hours checking facebook and funny cat sites is bad Tongue
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:55:56 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

I mean, I think it's an interesting thing to think about (I even analyzed the company I work for a few years ago and estimated they paid $17k/month for people to use the bathroom), but I wouldn't at all equate unintentional labor hours lost with intentional misuse of company resources and/or actual theft of physical resources.
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:34:32 PM

So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

I mean, I think it's an interesting thing to think about (I even analyzed the company I work for a few years ago and estimated they paid $17k/month for people to use the bathroom), but I wouldn't at all equate unintentional labor hours lost with intentional misuse of company resources and/or actual theft of physical resources.

My point was, don't be a dick when you yourselves do similar (albeit perhaps less cost) things.  And yes, I *would* equate bathroom breaks that aren't during your allotted break time as theft.  Something I hear sometimes is "it's the principle" of the thing.  Well so is doing activities during work time *THAT AREN'T WORK*. 

I think some of them are just jealous that they can't mine "for free" and so get pissed at others who do.  Why is it sweat off your sack if that kid did it?  He eventually probably would have got caught, but other than bilking his boss, what did it do to the collective members of this forum?

And yes, I do take bathroom breaks outside my breaks.  I do make personal phone calls, etc, etc.  But yes, they are all equal, IMO.  It's time/money that your employer is paying you for that you're not doing.
TheSeven

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 08:43:50 PM

Some kinds of "time theft" or whatever are just officially allowed by your employer, for good reasons.
Other things aren't, however, and you just shouldn't do those.

Things like using the bathroom or jotting down personal notes surely belong to the first category, if done within reason.
Using company resources for CPU mining (which isn't even profitable as a whole), or outright stealing inventory, certainly belongs to the latter category.

tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:46:01 PM

Some kinds of "time theft" or whatever are just officially allowed by your employer, for good reasons.

Things like using the bathroom or jotting down personal notes surely belong to the first category, if done within reason.
Using company resources for CPU mining (which isn't even profitable as a whole), or outright stealing inventory, certainly belongs to the latter category.

I get that, I do.  Just irritates me how people jump on someone that doesn't affect them at all (unless it creates negativity towards bitcoin).

I personally avoid people I don't like.  But I don't try to destroy them.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:53:26 PM

I get that, I do.  Just irritates me how people jump on someone that doesn't affect them at all (unless it creates negativity towards bitcoin).

I personally avoid people I don't like.  But I don't try to destroy them.
I believe in justice, and making the world a better place.  The world is a better place when scumbags like D. Metcalfe aren't allowed to continue stealing from the company he works for.

If no one reports crimes when they happen, then there would be no incentive for people to not commit crimes.  In other words, crime would be rampant.  Part of keeping a civil world civil is ensuring that the lawbreakers receive just punishment for their actions.
nedbert9

Inactive

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:12:41 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

There have been a number of articles recently in major newspapers regarding the Millennial Generation.  These articles describe a number of reputable studies that indicate that the majority of Gen M have little regard for anyone, but themselves.  Some rebuttal articles would describe Gen M as, "differently moral," and not careless.  The latest articles would describe these "differently moral" attributes primarily as more tolerant of other's lifestyle, e.g. LGBT, and more conscious and caring of the environment.  The later study also points out that these "different" morals have more to do with individualism rather than any conception of moral fabric or social contract.

As a wise man once said, "You can't make up your own morals."  Morality, in large part, doesn't seems to be at play with Gen M.

My point follows.  IMHO Wink

I say, that both you, Tonto, and Mr. Metcalfe's attitudes are absurd and typify this kind of corruption of morality that ppl are reporting about Gen M.

People with an honest disposition get upset about Mr. Metcalfe's actions and attitude.  While cases of jealousy at someone's ability to take advantage of their situation in a very dishonest way is a possibility I seriously doubt that represents the majority sentiment for posters on this thread.

The honest man can't believe someone would be dishonest.  The dishonest man can't believe someone would be honest.  I suppose somewhere in the middle are those that would just have the chips fall where they may.
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:25:12 PM

There have been a number of articles recently in major newspapers regarding the Millennial Generation.  These articles describe a number of reputable studies that indicate that the majority of Gen M have little regard for anyone, but themselves.  Some rebuttal articles would describe Gen M as, "differently moral," and not careless.  The latest articles would describe these "differently moral" attributes primarily as more tolerant of other's lifestyle, e.g. LGBT, and more conscious and caring of the environment.  The later study also points out that these "different" morals have more to do with individualism rather than any conception of moral fabric or social contract.

As a wise man once said, "You can't make up your own morals."  Morality, in large part, doesn't seems to be at play with Gen M.

My point follows.  IMHO Wink

I say, that both you, Tonto, and Mr. Metcalfe's attitudes are absurd and typify this kind of corruption of morality that ppl are reporting about Gen M.

People with an honest disposition get upset about Mr. Metcalfe's actions and attitude.  While cases of jealousy at someone's ability to take advantage of their situation in a very dishonest way is a possibility I seriously doubt that represents the majority sentiment for posters on this thread.

The honest man can't believe someone would be dishonest.  The dishonest man can't believe someone would be honest.  I suppose somewhere in the middle are those that would just have the chips fall where they may.

I think you have me mistaken as a Gen M or something, which I'm not.  I'm upset at the attitude to destroy an individual when the people doing the destruction have also stolen things from their work places.  Perhaps not physical things, but still company resources. 

Pot. Kettle. Black.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:25:57 PM

I think you have me mistaken as a Gen M or something, which I'm not.  I'm upset at the attitude to destroy an individual when the people doing the destruction have also stolen things from their work places.  Perhaps not physical things, but still company resources. 

Pot. Kettle. Black.
You missed the part where he actually did steal physical things.

tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:28:00 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No I saw that, I meant the other participants in this thread.
ensign_lee

Activity: 886

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:39:58 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Yes, this was where the line was drawn for most people, including myself. Steal company's time < steal company's electricity <<< outright stealing physical hardware and reselling it.

Yet you equate the three tonto. What? That doesn't make sense to anyone except you.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 09:40:21 PM

I don't think using the restroom qualifies as time theft.  Using the restroom is an ordinary activity that everyone does, and the need to take breaks and use the restroom is priced into the compensation paid to the employee.  Many places in the United States mandate paid breaks by law (examples: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm) and hold the employer legally liable for even so much as inducing the employee to skip them - comparison to theft of an employer's property is a complete non-sequitur.

The intent has much to do with it as well.  An employee who accidentally leaves work with his employer's property is far less culpable than one who intentionally takes it and sells it on eBay.  The element of intent elevates it far above comparison with the cost of the time it takes to take a shit.

I too would be gratified to see Mr. Metcalfe endure the consequences for his criminal choices.  He is a scammer in meatspace.  Do we love scammers?  I don't.  If his career is damaged, it will be because of his choices, and not because we are lame for ratting him out.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 09:43:03 PM

It pisses me off because it hits close to home. I've had problems with employee theft in the past, so it really grinds my gears.

tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:47:16 PM

Yes, this was where the line was drawn for most people, including myself. Steal company's time < steal company's electricity <<< outright stealing physical hardware and reselling it.

Yet you equate the three tonto. What? That doesn't make sense to anyone except you.

I equate theft as theft.  Do I do it?  Yes I often do personal things on company time.  They could fire me for it.  They probably won't (although it would likely be brought up as an excuse if they ever did want to fire me ,or would add it on to the list of offenses).  But I won't beat around the bush and say I don't steal.  Because it is what it is.

It's obvious that I'm wrong here, so I'll bow out of the discussion.  I've said what I wanted to say, and we'll disagree on some things. Smiley
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 10:01:47 PM

I equate theft as theft.  Do I do it?  Yes I often do personal things on company time.  They could fire me for it.  They probably won't (although it would likely be brought up as an excuse if they ever did want to fire me ,or would add it on to the list of offenses).  But I won't beat around the bush and say I don't steal.  Because it is what it is.

It's obvious that I'm wrong here, so I'll bow out of the discussion.  I've said what I wanted to say, and we'll disagree on some things. Smiley

It's one thing to answer your cell phone when it rings, quite another to openly admit you casually misappropriate resources from your employer frequently enough that even you consider it theft.

A reasonable benchmark for how much "personal" stuff you should feel free to do on paid company time (like shitting) is no more than 30 minutes in an 8 hour day.  That's equivalent to fifteen minutes before your meal break and fifteen minutes afterward.  Anything less than that should not be considered stealing.  Anything significantly more, and you may as well be named Daniel Metcalfe.

Otherwise, the leap in logic is as ridiculous as suggesting you may as well molest toddlers if, after having slept with your 16 year old girlfriend at age 18, you've already crossed the line anyway.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1654
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 11:51:20 PM

Otherwise, the leap in logic is as ridiculous as suggesting you may as well molest toddlers if, after having slept with your 16 year old girlfriend at age 18, you've already crossed the line anyway.

+1

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:08:34 AM

Pot. Kettle. Black.
+1 That's what crossed my personal morality lines.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:49:23 AM

I agree with you tonto, for what its worth.
Zoomer

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 04:50:48 AM

I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

Ever heard of being salaried?
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:17:05 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

What I missed is the part where there was tangible proof he stole anything.  I'm not saying he didn't do it, nor am I saying he did. 

People lie all.the.fucking.time.

So, the members of this forum have potentially messed this guy's life up on hearsay.  Sounds legit [/s]
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:21:18 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

What I missed is the part where there was tangible proof he stole anything.  I'm not saying he didn't do it, nor am I saying he did. 

So, the members of this forum have potentially messed this guy's life up on hearsay.  Sounds legit [/s]

He bragged about it.  If he thinks stealing shit makes him cool, he deserves what he got, even if he didn't really do it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
pieppiep

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:22:01 PM

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
Weston EU Ltd"
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 06:43:25 PM

So, the members of this forum have potentially messed this guy's life up on hearsay.  Sounds legit [/s]

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
Weston EU Ltd"

That's a pretty ambiguous e-mail. 
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2012, 06:47:49 PM

I thought so too but didn't care:  I am not relying on the quoted e-mail for any factual information that will cause me heartburn if it's fake.  All I got was a sense of satisfaction that karma probably caught up with that guy, which was probably already the case even in the total absence of a response.

SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 12:54:39 AM

I thought so too but didn't care:  I am not relying on the quoted e-mail for any factual information that will cause me heartburn if it's fake.  All I got was a sense of satisfaction that karma probably caught up with that guy, which was probably already the case even in the total absence of a response.

+1
dropt
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 08:05:51 AM

I can respect that.
Valalvax

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 02:17:26 AM

Meh, I don't think my friend would lie to me

Course, I guess it's up to you to trust that I wasn't lying either

Is it hearsay when the accused is the one making the claims? *shrug*
Blazr

Activity: 882

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 02:40:28 AM

All the evidence we have to identify the OP is evidence he supplied. How do we know for certain he isn't setting someone else up?

gorgo1

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 09:29:03 AM

Wow. People mine on work computers? I know a few people who do but because it's not illegal or wrong in the country I live in,it's all good (employers don't care about how you use computer resources,they care more about peoplestealing supplies from work like other computers and other items than they do about 'miners').

18dYSssmxr2wkKvQ9a84m8Wbw7HvELjJSM
Omni

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 11:15:41 AM

Did anyone report this sucker?
SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 11:24:38 AM

Did anyone report this sucker?

lol did you even read through the thread? he got pwned irl.
Valalvax

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 02:46:57 AM

All the evidence we have to identify the OP is evidence he supplied. How do we know for certain he isn't setting someone else up?

That could be, but like I said, the dude admitted it to his boss, so he'd have to...

OMG INCEPTION IS REAL!
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 09:03:31 PM

Back from the dead to be read and not forgotten..
DO NOT STEAL FROM WORK!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 11:51:06 PM

DO NOT STEAL FROM WORK!

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 01:11:19 AM

DO NOT STEAL FROM WORK!

Thanks for raising this from the dead...it was a good read Cheesy

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:32:32 PM

DMetcalfe92:

Cheers
MrTiggr

+1

+9000

That was WAYYYYY OVER 9000!!!!!!

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: