Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:05:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BYE BYE  (Read 4675 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:04:15 PM

LMAO... I could just imagine someone pulling a tippman on me... I'd bust that shit over their head so fast... Forget a paintball gun man.. If anything arm yourself with a Bat, golfclub, butcher knife, tire iron ect..... you gotta put the toys away dude, for real!
I am talking about home defence. With a paintball marker with solid nylon balls shooting at over 350 fps, you can hit a target 10 metres away, just like punching somebody that is 10 metres away. You could even fire from a hidden location, if it is all dark, etc.
More importantly, it is NON-LETHAL, so you can do a "HIT AND RUN".

I can see it now, talking about home defense to the wife/girlfriend.

"Honey, I'm ready for anything bad that might happen here.  I have my Paintball Gun."

Versus...

"Honey, if anyone breaks in, what size holes would you like in them?  How many?  Okay, no problem."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 04:51:55 AM

LMAO... I could just imagine someone pulling a tippman on me... I'd bust that shit over their head so fast... Forget a paintball gun man.. If anything arm yourself with a Bat, golfclub, butcher knife, tire iron ect..... you gotta put the toys away dude, for real!
I am talking about home defence. With a paintball marker with solid nylon balls shooting at over 350 fps, you can hit a target 10 metres away, just like punching somebody that is 10 metres away. You could even fire from a hidden location, if it is all dark, etc.

"Honey, I'm ready for anything bad that might happen here.  I have my Paintball Gun."

Versus...

"Honey, if anyone breaks in, what size holes would you like in them?  How many?  Okay, no problem."
It will not kill, but it can temporarily incapacitate, especially if you live in a non-gun country. No need for licence, continuous monitoring - it really depends if you have access to hard balls.
I am talking about nylon balls used in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3O5rVjiQ8

It is not the best option, but it is better than nothing, they pose minimal collateral damage to property or bystanders, unlike real bullets that destroy property of even incapacitate innocent bystanders.

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 05:05:12 AM

Versus...

It will not kill, but it can temporarily incapacitate, especially if you live in a non-gun country. No need for licence, continuous monitoring - it really depends if you have access to hard balls.
I am talking about nylon balls used in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3O5rVjiQ8

It is not the best option, but it is better than nothing, they pose minimal collateral damage to property or bystanders, unlike real bullets that destroy property of even incapacitate innocent bystanders.

In a non-gun country do criminals use spoons and butter knives instead of AK47's, just like the defenseless tax paying, law abiding citizens?

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 08:06:57 AM

In a non-gun country do criminals use spoons and butter knives instead of AK47's, just like the defenseless tax paying, law abiding citizens?
Yeah, that's basically true.
Germany for example:
Murder: 12% with gun
Rape: less than 1% with gun
Robbery: 6% with gun

Aggressor66

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 08:10:30 AM

The time and effort it would take to procure any ammo (wood balls or OC pepper balls) which would likely only work with limited effect and only on relatively unmotivated subjects makes it kinda pointless to me. Paintball gun for defense against people=FAIL.

However I see it being useful to fend off nuisance animals though, especially the OC pepper paintballs.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 10:48:53 AM

Slingshots need experienced shooters, are better for outdoors.

Paintball markers are easier to target shoot at point- blank to 20 metre ranges.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 01:08:24 PM

Paintball markers are easier to target shoot at point- blank to 20 metre ranges.
Okay, I am not going to disagree COMPLETELY with you.  In the moment when one realized the door was being broken down, and THEY were coming in, you'd grab whatever you had.  If it was a speargun, I'd grab that.   I'd certainly grab a shovel, knowing the huge number of WW1 soldiers that were killed fighting in the trenches with shovels, after their guns jammed or they ran out of ammo.

If there was a decorative Japanese sword set on the wall, it's going to be practice time.

And if the first thing I could grab was a paintball gun with hard nylon balls, they bad guys are going to have to deal with that.

In defense of the paintball gun, we have the fact that it projects about the same power and rate of fire regardless of the physical strength, agility, and experience of the operator.  A small female or an 80 year old guy is about the same threat with a paintball gun as a 20 year old Special Forces soldier with a paintball gun.

That's not the case with the sword, speargun or shovel.

Next question is "stopping power."  That's really conjecture, but it could easily be tested - just like tasers and electric shock guns can and are tested.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 01:34:42 PM

Okay, I am not going to disagree COMPLETELY with you.  In the moment when one realized the door was being broken down, and THEY were coming in, you'd grab whatever you had.  If it was a speargun, I'd grab that.   I'd certainly grab a shovel, knowing the huge number of WW1 soldiers that were killed fighting in the trenches with shovels, after their guns jammed or they ran out of ammo.

If there was a decorative Japanese sword set on the wall, it's going to be practice time.

And if the first thing I could grab was a paintball gun with hard nylon balls, they bad guys are going to have to deal with that.

In defense of the paintball gun, we have the fact that it projects about the same power and rate of fire regardless of the physical strength, agility, and experience of the operator.  A small female or an 80 year old guy is about the same threat with a paintball gun as a 20 year old Special Forces soldier with a paintball gun.

Next question is "stopping power."  That's really conjecture, but it could easily be tested - just like tasers and electric shock guns can and are tested.
It is a pity that these paintball marker max out at 16 - 20 Joules of muzzle energy.
Some paintball markers can achieve 25 - 30 Joules with special tuning or modification.

This argument would be better if paintball markers  could be modified to 50 joules - just shoot them in the ankle.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:23:15 PM

It is a pity that these paintball marker max out at 16 - 20 Joules of muzzle energy.
Some paintball markers can achieve 25 - 30 Joules with special tuning or modification.

This argument would be better if paintball markers  could be modified to 50 joules - just shoot them in the ankle.
Clearly the answer is a slightly larger paintball gun that shoots baseballs.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:44:40 PM

A baseball bat?

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:29:52 PM

A baseball bat?
I was thinking more like a souped up, pistol grip black rifle version of...

http://baseballtips.com/pitching-machines/heater-combo-xtender.html
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:35:55 PM

A baseball bat?
I was thinking more like a souped up, pistol grip black rifle version of...

http://baseballtips.com/pitching-machines/heater-combo-xtender.html
That would be too bulky.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:36:20 PM

Does anyone have any opinions about the usefulness of consumer-available, hand-held lasers for self-defense?
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:58:51 PM

Does anyone have any opinions about the usefulness of consumer-available, hand-held lasers for self-defense?
The closest I can get to this is a HUGE HAND HELD RECHARGEABLE FLASHLIGHT TORCH  Huh
Lasers are illegal for civilian use in many countries, so are tasers and pepperballs/pepperspray

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 12:00:53 AM

The closest I can get to this is a HUGE HAND HELD RECHARGEABLE FLASHLIGHT TORCH  Huh
Lasers are illegal for civilian use in many countries, so are tasers and pepperballs/pepperspray

I was thinking along the lines of something in the 3-5W range.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 12:19:02 AM

This all sort of reminds me of all the cautions against using a low caliber weapon such as a 22LR for defense.  Stories are many where a homeowner sunk a dozen of those little bullets into the bad guy, and he kept coming.  That's why a key phrase is "stopping power."

Unfortunately, that's also how come cops kill a lot of people.  They've got some optimized "stopping power."

Note that non lethal is not a priority.  Yes it should be with cops in appropriate circumstances.

As for the home invasion I am of the opinion non-lethal should not be a priority (or even an issue) for the invader.  Remember there may be more than one.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 12:34:31 AM

This all sort of reminds me of all the cautions against using a low caliber weapon such as a 22LR for defense.  Stories are many where a homeowner sunk a dozen of those little bullets into the bad guy, and he kept coming.  That's why a key phrase is "stopping power."

Unfortunately, that's also how come cops kill a lot of people.  They've got some optimized "stopping power."

Note that non lethal is not a priority.  Yes it should be with cops in appropriate circumstances.

As for the home invasion I am of the opinion non-lethal should not be a priority (or even an issue) for the invader.  Remember there may be more than one.

I'm more interested in blindness and flames.
Snagglebone

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:42:45 AM

I'm more interested in blindness and flames.

Powerful lasers are bad under pretty much all circumstances. One stray reflection and you are instantly blind. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. People don't realize how dangerous a laser really is... it's not lethal, but it will blind instantly and from the most innocuous of circumstances. A shiny object that you don't even notice could be the source of your blindness. Reflection off a watch, a handle in the kitchen, bathroom mirror, car headlight... really anything.

You'd be far more of a danger to yourself with a 5W laser in a tense situation than you'd be to any attacker.

I would hand a loaded firearm to a toddler before I'd hand them a 5w laser if I had to choose.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:51:01 AM

Hi all,

Would any of you consider using a paintball marker for home defence, in a riot situation to ward off violent people from approaching your home?

NB: Paintball marker loaded with paintballs or hard balls, but shooting within the legal power limits of state.

would prefer a baseball bat or golf club, sadly in my country we cant have any weapons else i'd have a real gun for sure.
GREEDYJOHN (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:40:22 AM

Hi all,

Would any of you consider using a paintball marker for home defence, in a riot situation to ward off violent people from approaching your home?

NB: Paintball marker loaded with paintballs or hard balls, but shooting within the legal power limits of state.

would prefer a baseball bat or golf club, sadly in my country we cant have any weapons else i'd have a real gun for sure.
This is the real reason why I suggest paintball marker - it is a toy that can pack a punch if you add a few solid nylon balls to your ammo

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: