Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:44:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin Money or Currency  (Read 5702 times)
allonage

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:30:12 PM

Both money and currency share many properties: They are both units of account (are numbered in value), a medium of accepted exchange and portable. They are both divisible (into smaller units of measure), durable (won’t physically turn to dust after a couple of days) and fungible (the value of the unit is the same for you as it is for me; has similar value here or there). What makes money different is it is also a store of value, meaning it will hold value, or grow, over a long period. Can you put it in a bank, safe deposit box, or under a mattress, save it, and it will retain its monetary value over time? Some currencies are better monies than others.
Lucas Riley

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:33:11 PM

mon·ey (noun)

- a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively.
---

cur·ren·cy read as ˈkərənsē (noun)

-a system of money in general use in a particular country.

So, is bitcoin money or currency?

I think there is on overlap for sure.

You can see it with the regulatory confusion.

CFTC - class it as a commodity
Fincen - class it as a currency
IRS - class it as property
SEC - security (basically a company)
futuresprotocol

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 06:52:36 PM

As to currency, this implies a "running" or a flow, meaning that many people use it.  

Well said.
christina30

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 07:29:07 AM

Let us take a look at Bitcoin based on your given definitions of money and currency. Bitcoin is not money because its not represented by a physical version like coins. Even though in currency since it is not used in a particular country. However, your given definitions seem to be too strict. Bitcoin may fall into the two categories. Money could simply be understood as a medium of exchange and currency a system of money.
BitProCoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 07:30:52 AM

Bitcoin refers to two things: Bitcoin is a payment network similar to Mastercard or Paypal, and bitcoins (the currency) are the medium of exchange on the bitcoin payment network.
dekafee79

Activity: 150

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 08:13:33 AM

mon·ey (noun)

- a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively.
---

I think the bitcoin is both, money and currency. Its a crypto currency that is used as money. bitcoin can use to investmeny also payment system. it is my opinion.
mstfprcn

Activity: 700
Merit: 553

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 08:26:22 AM

Simply , both because both are equally viable, money is a global transaction tool and the bitcoin currency is not global, only people who work in bitcoin are using it, but bitcoin currency could be a global transaction tool if it is in exchange for money.
Sabana1952

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 08:44:40 AM

Bitcoin is money because is a global transactions.
h31s3nb3rg

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:03:52 AM

mon·ey (noun)

---

Just a noble opinion ,  I think bitcoin belongs to currency . I've noticed some factor why i considered bitcoin as currency based on the description given above , first bitcoin is not a medium of exchange and lastly it is a system of money but not specific in any particular country and bitcoin is a digital currency so i really consider it as currency.
yahamidu

Activity: 61

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:06:52 AM

mon·ey (noun)

---

I think bitcoin is currency, it is crypto currency. the bitcoin is not real money.
squog

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

ANONYMOUS MOBILE PAYMENTS

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:10:07 AM

In my understanding... Bitcoin is money being that all money is currency. Bitcoin is one of the many crypto currencies that we can use. Same thing as japanese yen being one of the fiat money that we want to abolish. Then again, i dont know much about these things. Take it with a huge grain of salt.

KrishaBitcoin

Activity: 350
Merit: 11

W12 – Blockchain protocol

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:14:12 AM

mon·ey (noun)

---

I think both money and currency are the same characteristics description for Bitcoin in which can be use as a coin for spending that is why the coin is in the tip of Bitcoin in which we can use it for actual spending in some establishments then represent as currency too in which classified as belongs to digital currency. Like the dollar in which we will use it as a money for actual spending but its represent too as currency for a certain nation like the USA.

W12.io  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  Blockchain protocol                        
            Built F O R :    ❤ Charity Market    ⚫ ICO    ֆ CROWDFUNDING

◥ TELEGRAMWHITEPAPERTWITTERFACEBOOK ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ❱❱❱ R E G I S T E R  for the  TO K E N  S A L E ❰❰❰
arturagacinsk

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:26:30 AM

Of course, there are crypto-currencies. They describe the modern economic system much more accurately. Traditional money must remain in the past along with the system that they have built
Andrej Peiboski

Activity: 350
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:32:08 AM

It is an old question, and it seems that no one has yet found a satisfactory answer. The truth is simply that at the moment the crypto are still too unstable and too little accepted by the public to be seriously used as money. In the future, it will probably be different, but for now it's too early.

Gondwanaland

Activity: 354

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 09:43:30 AM

mon·ey (noun)

---

In my perspective bitcoin is both money as well as a currency. Because bitcoin is what we called a crypto currency or a digital currency which means that it is intangible or we cannnot touch. Bitcoin is a new kind of money which you can used it to pay the things in our world.

RATEONIUM              Twitter       Telegram     Reddit   
GLOBAL BLOCKCHAIN BASED PRODUCT
██  ██ SERVICE RATING PLATFORM Gothic ██  ██
Fear
aka elbashadodo

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 03:24:04 PM

Even in this circumstances, we still need to keep both payment currencies including cash and digital money because the last one cannot be easily used in our everday life. That is the reason we excahnge bitcoin into fiat.
sangungaji

Activity: 91

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 03:30:03 PM

mon·ey (noun)

---

I think it is both, money and currency,  it is also a payment system. The Bitcoin is the future technology.
aishyoo17

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 03:38:48 PM

Bitcoin is both money and currency and though this is not still widely address for us who believe in bitcoin we consider it as like that and who knows in the future this will be a legal currency that we can all use in every transaction we will make.

▄▄▄▄
▐████▌
▀██▀
▐▌
▄██▄
▄▄▄▄ ▐████▌ ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▐████▌
████  ▄▄▄▄  ████
▐████▌
▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄
▐████▌      ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀██▀
▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌
▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀  ▄██▄
▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌  ▐▌  ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄██▄  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀  ████  ▀▀▀▀
▐████▌      ▐████▌
▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀
ivy|FACILITATING SECURE, TRANSPARENT
BUSINESS PAYMENTS ON A GLOBAL SCALE

─────────  ❱❱  WHITEPAPER  ❰❰  ─────────
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|[.
JOIN US NOW!
]|
UchihaRukawa

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 03:47:09 PM

mon·ey (noun)

---

In my opinion bitcoin is both money and a currency. Money, because you can use it as a mode of exchange, you want something that Im selling? Then you could give me an amount of bitcoin so that you can have it. Currency, because it is being used as money in general, and bitcoin is a form of cryptocurrency, a kind of currency which is in crypt, so for me, bitcoin is clearly both money and a currency.

ngusmin
Copper Member

Activity: 496

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 04:00:48 PM

mon·ey (noun)

---

Bitcoin is a digital currency or cryptocurrency that has no physical form, bitcoin has a value in which we can use to transact and can also be a profit-giving investment.

┏━━━━━━━━━ JOIN TELEGRAM GROUP ━━━━━━━━━┓
│▓▓▓▓▓▓ T o o l K i t z A I -  Break the Barrier ▓▓▓▓▓▓│
┗━━━━━━━━━━━ T R Y  D E M O ━━━━━━━━━━━┛
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: