Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:50:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: centralized post of pirate payouts-It is over. Pirate@scammer admits default  (Read 80037 times)
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:45:04 AM

Personally, in the overall scheme of things, I think everyone involved deserves to be punished. The investors got their lessons already, by losing most of their money. If they now want to bring some retribution on pirate and whoever else he may have been involved with, who are we who had nothing to do with this to stop them? And why do you care what happens to him or his family? I say let them find everything on everyone, and let us sit back and see what happens.

Here Here!
BorderBits

Activity: 275

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:57:25 AM

And why do you care what happens to him or his family? I say let them find everything on everyone, and let us sit back and see what happens.

Because people with out psychopathic tendencies tend to care when some dude's family is being targeted by shady as fuck internet stalkers.  In life outside of forums, is it cool-edgy to cheer on such behavior? 
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 07:05:11 AM

And why do you care what happens to him or his family? I say let them find everything on everyone, and let us sit back and see what happens.

Because people with out psychopathic tendencies tend to care when some dude's family is being targeted by shady as fuck internet stalkers.  In life outside of forums, is it cool-edgy to cheer on such behavior? 

I dont rip off the mafia because I dont want my kids finger to show up in the mail.

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:06:53 AM

I dont rip off the mafia because I dont want my kids finger to show up in the mail.

That statement could very well ring true if you have kids...and the kids are actually YOURS....

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 07:15:35 AM

That statement could very well ring true if you have kids...and the kids are actually YOURS....

Of course. Most people have other people they care about unless they are American Psycho.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:17:49 AM

Personally, in the overall scheme of things, I think everyone involved deserves to be punished. The investors got their lessons already, by losing most of their money. If they now want to bring some retribution on pirate and whoever else he may have been involved with, who are we who had nothing to do with this to stop them? And why do you care what happens to him or his family? I say let them find everything on everyone, and let us sit back and see what happens.

Here Here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 07:19:47 AM

I don't get it. How can grownups sit on their asses watching their investment mysteriously grow at cancer rates without asking themselves where it's coming from, and at what expense?
That's the big question. I've seen people who I consider very intelligent and worthy of respect manage to convince themselves that Bitcoins are somehow different. I find it baffling.

I don't think he wants any kid's finger to show up in anyone's mail.

I wish I could say that I don't condone violence of any kind, but I'm not a pacifist. If the legal system is not equipped to deal with a Bitcoin theft like this, I'm not sure what the alternative to force is. I'm morally opposed to responding to force or fraud with pacifism unless there's an effective agency with moral authority to address the issue. In this case, there very well may not be any such agency. In that case, I don't believe you've forfeited your natural right to self-defense -- just as you would have it if you were in a region of the world that didn't have a functioning government.

For the record, I am not yet convinced that institutions are not in place that are capable of dealing with this.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:47:34 AM

Not that all Bitcoin users are libertarian, but many are, and even within the rest of the community a strong sense of individualism seems prominent. Given this, I'm very surprised at all those who want to go after his family to get results. What kind of justice is that? Do none of you have stupid relatives that do stupid things? Do you really think it is fair to get fucked for somebody else's scheming? The family does not equal the individual.

Quite. It's bad enough to see harm come to a brother, son, father or uncle due to his own stupidity.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:54:36 AM

So, Pirate, are you going to return people's coins or not?
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:56:34 AM

Why would one need to payout everyone at once (after two weeks where interest has increased the amount owed by ~$1M) in order to stop the bleeding?  We is paying 1% per day on the oustanding balance.  The way to reduce the bleeding is simple ... pay down some/all of the debt.  The quicker and the more he pays the less capitalized interest he accrues.
This.

That whole message off the IRC makes no sense and is just blatant stalling.
BorderBits

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 07:57:02 AM

those dark areas that are mostly driving the bitcoin economy atm.

Parents' basements in suburban towns where there are no reliable hookups for shrooms and good E?  
BorderBits

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:02:20 AM

Sorry, dude.  I got hacked -- a Chinese relics dealer, or Atlas, I imagine. 
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:04:05 AM

Code:
<_matthew_> I did my books and I'm able to go as high as 20,000BTC if need be.
 <_matthew_> Which I don't think anyone will be dumb enough to take me up on,
 <_matthew_> but I wonder how many people will be using me to hedge
 <_matthew_> People shoud just sit on their investments and understand the risks
 <_matthew_> Running out on things costs money
 <_matthew_> (Makes me richer though)

Oh dear.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:06:39 AM

This is crazy as hell. But hey, at this point I'm in Smiley
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:14:10 AM

If the legal system is not equipped to deal with a Bitcoin theft like this, I'm not sure what the alternative to force is. I'm morally opposed to responding to force or fraud with pacifism unless there's an effective agency with moral authority to address the issue. In this case, there very well may not be any such agency. In that case, I don't believe you've forfeited your natural right to self-defense -- just as you would have it if you were in a region of the world that didn't have a functioning government.

For the record, I am not yet convinced that institutions are not in place that are capable of dealing with this.

That's the big "if" which never gets tested because people would rather talk about going all Los Zeta than actually report these incidents to conventional authorities and see whether existing legal frameworks can be used.  I sometimes get the impression that some people desperately want to believe that they can't so they have a "justification" for pursuing vigilante justice.  Fortunately, the legal system is perfectly capable of dealing with those who take the law into their own hands.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:23:30 AM

Sorry, dude.  I got hacked -- a Chinese relics dealer, or Atlas, I imagine. 

That makes about as much sense as what you're saying on IRC these days.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:27:31 AM

Shrents, Don  support@buscog.com
      Business Cognition
      5100 Eldoardo Pkwy
      Mckinney, Texas 75070
      United States
      +1.5738736366

Don Shrents is an annogram of Trendon Shs (the missing letters aver are an annogram of Vear (Vear is a village in Vestfold, Norway, located in the municipalities of Stokke and Tønsberg. Of its population (2005) of 3,520, 1,256 reside in Tønsberg and 2,264 in Stokke))

GPUMAX is also registered to Don Shrents http://whois.domaintools.com/gpumax.com

Fine, but then who was the "Pirate" with an hat at the "last supper" in Vegas? An impersonator?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 09:31:09 AM

I don't think he wants any kid's finger to show up in anyone's mail.

I wish I could say that I don't condone violence of any kind, but I'm not a pacifist. If the legal system is not equipped to deal with a Bitcoin theft like this, I'm not sure what the alternative to force is. I'm morally opposed to responding to force or fraud with pacifism unless there's an effective agency with moral authority to address the issue. In this case, there very well may not be any such agency. In that case, I don't believe you've forfeited your natural right to self-defense -- just as you would have it if you were in a region of the world that didn't have a functioning government.

Um no. People using violence to get their coins back from a crook is not self-defense. Their coins were gone the moment they suspended their common sense and were engulfed by their own greed. Pirate forced no one to give him their coins, and he never gave anyone anywhere near a plausible reason as to why his scheme should work as promised. Pirate didn't invent the Ponzi scheme so everyone here should have known better. It's the victims greed that committed the crime. Pirate offered the community a magical crevice in the earth to throw coins down into with the promise of 7% return each week from the abyss. Had this crevice only offered 2% a year I'm sure that hole in the ground would never have seen a satoshi. But promise the logically impossible and you wind up with a community of in-every-other-situation-intelligent people standing around the rim waiting for some coins to pop back up.

And for some reason, people both a) expect the government to step in and avenge the mass stupidity/histeria or b) beat pirate up because of course how dare he fail to get the abyss to cough up the coins.

It was stupidity and greed from the start and the threats of violence only underscore how deep that stupidity and greed really goes.

more or less retired.
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 09:38:14 AM

Code:
<_matthew_> I did my books and I'm able to go as high as 20,000BTC if need be.
 <_matthew_> Which I don't think anyone will be dumb enough to take me up on,
 <_matthew_> but I wonder how many people will be using me to hedge
 <_matthew_> People shoud just sit on their investments and understand the risks
 <_matthew_> Running out on things costs money
 <_matthew_> (Makes me richer though)

Oh dear.

I tried to take him up on that, he was unable to get the coins for escrow Sad

Oh well..

Interesting - when I first made my bet I did think he at least had the ability to pay...
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 09:59:06 AM

Um no. People using violence to get their coins back from a crook is not self-defense. Their coins were gone the moment they suspended their common sense and were engulfed by their own greed. Pirate forced no one to give him their coins, and he never gave anyone anywhere near a plausible reason as to why his scheme should work as promised. Pirate didn't invent the Ponzi scheme so everyone here should have known better. It's the victims greed that committed the crime.
I disagree completely. Pirate's culpability has no effect on his victims' culpability and vice versa. Each is fully responsible for their own actions and the consequences of them.

And yes, using violence to get stolen property back from a thief is self-defense. In a civilized society, within the scope of operation of its legal and police systems, one give's up one's right to the use of self-defense in non-emergency situations. But where those systems don't apply, one still has it.

If you and I were stranded on a desert island, I would fully have the right to use force to defend my property from you, including taking it back from you if you had stolen it. Defense of one's property is self-defense.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: