Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:45:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama or Romney ?  (Read 21118 times)
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:44:18 PM

I see you share the same business logic with Obama. Hey if Obama gets another 4 years and increase the debt by another 6T, it'll still be "better", since percentage wise, it's just a 37% increase on 16T, wonderful!!!!

And you have nothing to contribute except lies. Romney lies, you lie - what a wonderful company. I don't vote at all, because I can't stand liars and retards. 99% of the elected officials belong in that category.

There are several issues that makes Obama a deal breaker for me, not that I really like Romney, but right now, Romney looks a million times better than Obama:

* Obama supports AA, Romney is against
* Obama supports legalizing tens of millions of illegals, Romney is against
* Obama increased the national debt by 6T in 4 years, I don't think anyone else in the Republican party can top that. I mean even the supposedly bad president GWB only increased the debt by 4.4T in 8 years, and he fought 2 wars.

AA: Romney didn't pick the side yet about AA: http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/10/09/romney-stays-away-from-affirmative-action-case/
Immigration: He believes that unauthorized immigrants who were brought to the country as minors and have served in the military should be given permanent residency status.
Debt: I proved already that you lied.

So we got 2 lies out of 3 statements.

I'm glad Romney doesn't openly speak about AA, it would be too easy to paint him as a "Racist" if he's openly against AA in his campaign. But those of us who care deeply about AA, know what Romney's position really is regarding AA.

Well, green card for minors+military service is entirely different from what Obama's proposal of legalizing all illegals, isn't it?

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:46:14 PM

I'm glad Romney doesn't openly speak about AA, it would be too easy to paint him as a "Racist" if he's openly against AA in his campaign. But those of us who care deeply about AA, know what Romney's position really is regarding AA.

Now you can read minds. Wow.

Well, green card for minors+military service is entirely different from what Obama's proposal of legalizing all illegals, isn't it?

All illegals? That's an another lie.
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:58:09 PM

Now you can read minds. Wow.

All illegals? That's an another lie.

No because his actions speak louder than his words:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/02/romneys-record-on-affirma_n_1564644.html

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 03:00:59 PM

I think Romney represents a real chance to get the debt under control, he has shown that he is the turnaround expert, this is exactly what the country needs, someone that has business sense, good with money and demonstrated turnaround success. The fact that he agrees with me on several important issues (AA, green card for advanced degree etc...) are just icing on the cake.

And in four years, when the economy is still in the shitter, will you finally realize that democrats and republicans vary so little on their policies and politics that they effectively overlap? Will you then finally choose an option other than the two that are spoon-fed to you?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:04:09 PM

I think Romney represents a real chance to get the debt under control, he has shown that he is the turnaround expert, this is exactly what the country needs, someone that has business sense, good with money and demonstrated turnaround success. The fact that he agrees with me on several important issues (AA, green card for advanced degree etc...) are just icing on the cake.

And in four years, when the economy is still in the shitter, will you finally realize that democrats and republicans vary so little on their policies and politics that they effectively overlap? Will you then finally choose an option other than the two that are spoon-fed to you?

What option are you speaking of? Gary Johnson? Mr. cut all income tax and capital gain tax? privatize all prisons? sorry I don't really prefer candidates that are batshit insane.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 03:06:35 PM

What option are you speaking of? Gary Johnson? Mr. cut all income tax and capital gain tax? privatize all prisons? sorry I don't really prefer candidates that are batshit insane.

How, exactly, is he batshit?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:14:40 PM

How, exactly, is he batshit?

I just gave you two areas, he propose to get rid of income tax and capital gains tax. He propose all prison be privatized.

Let's see, some other positions he has:
* ban student loans (he think student loans increase tuition)
* no tariffs (great news China!!!)
* he also supports legalizing the illegals (though he does redeem himself by also supporting green card for advanced degrees)
* open borders to Mexicans (this is just .... insane)
* 23% sales tax (this would be so much in favor of the rich, or does he think the rich buy 1000 beds or 1000 toilets so they could pay a fair share in tax?)

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:17:56 PM

I just gave you two areas, he propose to get rid of income tax and capital gains tax. He propose all prison be privatized.

* he also supports legalizing the illegals (though he does redeem himself by also supporting green card for advanced degrees)
* 23% sales tax (this would be so much in favor of the rich, or does he think the rich buy 1000 beds or 1000 toilets so they could pay a fair share in tax?)

myrkul, it's not worth the time and frustration to argue with a statist. It's no different than arguing religion. It's their own faith, and they would be lost without their savior (the state).

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Pteppic

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:43:25 PM

myrkul, it's not worth the time and frustration to argue with a statist. It's no different than arguing religion. It's their own faith, and they would be lost without their savior (the state).

And on some liberal website there are posters condemning the free market religion of libertarians. I mean obviously they believe that because they are irrational, brainwashed and dependent, while you believe what you believe cuz it's true.

"Remember too on every occasion which leads you to vexation to apply this principle: not that this is a misfortune, but that to bear it nobly is good fortune." - Marcus Aurelius
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 03:46:29 PM

You're probably right, but it's just not in my constitution to give up without a fight, so I'm going to take at least a few token swings.

Open borders and no tariffs would greatly improve our economy by increasing international trade. Removing income tax and capital gains tax likewise would improve the economy by not punishing earning and saving. Student loans do indeed increase tuition, much the same way widespread medical insurance increases medical costs. I'm not well versed on his position on that, but I feel private loans would be acceptable, but government loans and grants would not.

As for the sales tax not being "fair," how is 23% of all purchases, across the board, to everyone, not fair? Should the rich pay larger percentages in taxes, just because they have more money? They'd already be paying more in raw numbers. A poor person buying a pack of ramen would pay $1.23, while a rich person buying a tin of caviar would pay $123.00 That's $23.00 in tax instead of $0.23. Seems plenty "fair" to me.

I, of course, am not in favor of any taxes, but if there must be tax, you can't get more fair than a sales tax.

I'd like some clarification on one point, though... How, exactly is opening the borders "just... insane"?

kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 06:53:15 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2012, 07:07:42 PM by kokojie

You're probably right, but it's just not in my constitution to give up without a fight, so I'm going to take at least a few token swings.

Open borders and no tariffs would greatly improve our economy by increasing international trade. Removing income tax and capital gains tax likewise would improve the economy by not punishing earning and saving. Student loans do indeed increase tuition, much the same way widespread medical insurance increases medical costs. I'm not well versed on his position on that, but I feel private loans would be acceptable, but government loans and grants would not.

As for the sales tax not being "fair," how is 23% of all purchases, across the board, to everyone, not fair? Should the rich pay larger percentages in taxes, just because they have more money? They'd already be paying more in raw numbers. A poor person buying a pack of ramen would pay $1.23, while a rich person buying a tin of caviar would pay $123.00 That's $23.00 in tax instead of $0.23. Seems plenty "fair" to me.

I, of course, am not in favor of any taxes, but if there must be tax, you can't get more fair than a sales tax.

I'd like some clarification on one point, though... How, exactly is opening the borders "just... insane"?

Sorry but if you are seriously thinking that "open borders" is not insane, you are seriously out of touch with reality. There's basically billions of people in the world that would kill to be living in America, once you open your borders, these people will rush in, now instead of tens of millions of unskilled illegals, you'll have hundreds of millions, or even billions. That's a quick path to disaster-ville.

With a 23% sales tax, the rich are not really paying the same percentage. Because not all rich person spends a lot, many of them don't. For example Warren Buffet, his life style is very modest. He would be basically paying a 0.1% tax rate on his income, he simply does not spend that much money to buy things. Plus even if the rich person do spend a lot, like I said he still only buys 1 bed to sleep on, unless his bed is 1000 times more expensive than the average joe's, he's not paying his fair share. If I was Warren Buffet, I'd quickly run out of things to buy to achieve even a 5% tax rate, because even a rich person simply does not need 1000 beds or 1000 toilets.

Basically, to implement a 23% sales tax, you'll have to look at who are the consumers of the majority of the product in this country? if you find the rich consume majority of products in this country, then 23% sales tax will work. Unfortunately, the truth is the poor/middle class consume the majority of products in this country, not the rich, you'll just be shifting the vast majority of revenue burden on the backs of poor/middle class, and would be giving the rich a huge tax cut, one they don't really need. This would further increase the wealth gap. This path usually leads to violent revolution and forced wealth re-distribution, again a quick path to disaster-ville.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 07:09:18 PM

Sorry but if you are seriously thinking that "open borders" is not insane, you are seriously out of touch with reality. There's basically billions of people in the world that would kill to be living in America, once you open your borders, these people will rush in, now instead of tens of millions of unskilled illegals, you'll have hundreds of millions, or even billions. That's a quick path to disaster-ville.

With a 23% sales tax, the rich are not really paying the same percentage. Because not all rich person spends a lot, many of them don't. For example Warren Buffet, his life style is very modest. He would be basically paying a 0.1% tax rate on his income, he simply does not spend that much money to buy things. Plus even if the rich person do spend a lot, like I said he still only buys 1 bed to sleep on, unless his bed is 1000 times more expensive than the average joe's, he's not paying his fair share. If I was Warren Buffet, I'd quickly run out of things to buy to achieve even a 5% tax rate, because even a rich person simply does not need 1000 beds or 1000 toilets.
Agreed that open borders is insane.  I believe it is an eventual inevitability that the world will no longer have countries, but it is something that must be "eased" into.  If you let a bunch of 3rd-world people into America all at the same time, it would very quickly turn it into a close-to-3rd-world country.  No one wants that.

Also agree on the sales tax.  Because the poor population is forced to spend a higher percentage of their income in order to survive, whereas the rich can save, the poor would pay a higher effective tax rate than the rich.  That said, deductions are ridiculous all across the board.  No one should be able to deduct anything.  Everyone should pay the same income tax %, regardless of how much they make and how many children they have.  And no one should receive tax credits or welfare of any kind.  That's what families and charities are for.  JMO.

On the other points:
- Student loans do increase tuition by artificially increasing demand. Banning them would certainly reduce tuition rates as attendance falls. Whether that is good or bad is debatable.
- No tariffs WOULD be good for the economy, at the expense of some lost jobs where other countries can produce items more efficiently than the US.  Whether that is good or bad for the people overall is debatable.  Fewer people with jobs, but goods are cheaper, so fewer people need jobs?
- Legalizing aliens is just stupid.  Yes, let's reward people who break the law - that'll solve our border problems real quick!
- Privatized prisons would be interesting... certainly, they could do it more efficiently than the government if nothing else!  Of course, in my opinion, prisoners don't deserve anything more than a 5x5 cell with a drain in the middle and a bowl of mush twice a day.  My prison would be incredibly cheap to operate.  It's probably a good thing I don't operate one, because it just rubs me the wrong way when prisoners have big screen TV's and Playstation 3's and good hot meals to eat, when many people who actually work for a living can't claim the same.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 07:22:06 PM

- Privatized prisons would be interesting... certainly, they could do it more efficiently than the government if nothing else!  Of course, in my opinion, prisoners don't deserve anything more than a 5x5 cell with a drain in the middle and a bowl of mush twice a day.  My prison would be incredibly cheap to operate.  It's probably a good thing I don't operate one, because it just rubs me the wrong way when prisoners have big screen TV's and Playstation 3's and good hot meals to eat, when many people who actually work for a living can't claim the same.

Many prisons in the United States are already privatized.  This creates a issue because it is in the corporation operating the prison's best interest to keep their cots full since they get paid per head.  To that end they lobby for laws that supply more heads for them to charge the customer (the government) for.  For example: http://colorlines.com/archives/2010/10/arizonas_draconian_and_constitutionally_suspect.html

Sure, they might be able to house the same number of prisoners for less money, but if they are using their profits to "reinvest" by turning more people into criminals, than that is a problem.  In the end, it costs the taxpayer and the economy more because we've moved yet another productive member of society into a position of dependence on the government.  The fact (yes, this is a fact) that the "land of the free" has the highest per capita incarceration rate of any country in the world disgusts me.  For more information see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:09:07 PM

Many prisons in the United States are already privatized.  This creates a issue because it is in the corporation operating the prison's best interest to keep their cots full since they get paid per head.  To that end they lobby for laws that supply more heads for them to charge the customer (the government) for.  For example: http://colorlines.com/archives/2010/10/arizonas_draconian_and_constitutionally_suspect.html

Sure, they might be able to house the same number of prisoners for less money, but if they are using their profits to "reinvest" by turning more people into criminals, than that is a problem.  In the end, it costs the taxpayer and the economy more because we've moved yet another productive member of society into a position of dependence on the government.  The fact (yes, this is a fact) that the "land of the free" has the highest per capita incarceration rate of any country in the world disgusts me.  For more information see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate
That makes sense.  I'd say that prisons should be governmentally funded and owned for the reasons you mentioned then.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:48:34 PM

Agreed that open borders is insane.  I believe it is an eventual inevitability that the world will no longer have countries, but it is something that must be "eased" into.  If you let a bunch of 3rd-world people into America all at the same time, it would very quickly turn it into a close-to-3rd-world country.  No one wants that.

Also agree on the sales tax.  Because the poor population is forced to spend a higher percentage of their income in order to survive, whereas the rich can save, the poor would pay a higher effective tax rate than the rich.  That said, deductions are ridiculous all across the board.  No one should be able to deduct anything.  Everyone should pay the same income tax %, regardless of how much they make and how many children they have.  And no one should receive tax credits or welfare of any kind.  That's what families and charities are for.  JMO.

On the other points:
- Student loans do increase tuition by artificially increasing demand. Banning them would certainly reduce tuition rates as attendance falls. Whether that is good or bad is debatable.
- No tariffs WOULD be good for the economy, at the expense of some lost jobs where other countries can produce items more efficiently than the US.  Whether that is good or bad for the people overall is debatable.  Fewer people with jobs, but goods are cheaper, so fewer people need jobs?
- Legalizing aliens is just stupid.  Yes, let's reward people who break the law - that'll solve our border problems real quick!

Border Opening has to go hand in hand with elimination of exploitable systems (welfare, mandated healthcare, etc) if there's no way for the illegal to consume public funds - then them being here doesn't matter. And while I think that it's silly to demand open borders (because you'd never get the right services cut or loopholes closed), I really think the best answer to this is enforcement. If a standard check at every government office or police interaction included having to prove citizenship and the penalty was 5 years of hard labor building the new border wall (50 foot high, 4 lanes wide... physical wall) you'd be had pressed to find an illegal anywhere.

On higher education: the system is broken - we need to stop funding it and let the institutions sink or swim on their own, right now a college degree is just a path to perpetual debt for most of the kids attending.

Prisoners: Bring back the chain gang. I don't care if they're digging holes & moving dirt across the field to fill in the hole they dug yesterday... but work them and work them hard. It's supposed to be punishment, no more cable tv - air conditioning or any sort of luxuries. 3 meals a day, a Cot in a 4x7 cell, pillow/blanket and toilet paper should be it. As for the quality of food - I'd probably use that as an incentive program - you're basic (for someone in solitary) is oatmeal, some sort of meat on bread and soup. Update the food based on job performance. At that point the most profitable prisons would be the ones doing the most useful work.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 09:49:54 PM

You wouldn't have hundreds of millions of illegals, you would have hundreds of millions of immigrants. The time periods where the US has had lots of immigration have been some of the most prosperous times. And they're hardly all unskilled, either. Now, quit with the fear-mongering, and listen to some reason.

As for the tax, yes, rich people can save more. You're neglecting the fact that with no income or capital gains taxes, the poor will also be able to save more. A minimum wage worker would, on average, get a 15-20% larger check. And you cannot deny that the rich consume more. because they consume more, they will be paying more taxes.

Being rich, in itself, does not incur a debt to society. Unless that wealth was gotten illegitimately, any debt to society has already been paid, and the wealth is the visible result of paying that debt. Bill Gates, for instance. How did he get his money? Very likely, by putting the operating system that you're currently using onto your computer. (less likely here than elsewhere, but no less true for that) Bill Gates got his money by providing a product that people wanted. If nobody wanted any Microsoft products, Gates would be broke. The same is true for almost every rich person out there. They got rich by providing goods or services. If they had not already served society, they would not have the money. So stop being so jealous that you didn't provide those goods or services.

Neither fear nor jealousy are pretty emotions, and you should not be displaying them so openly.

That makes sense.  I'd say that prisons should be governmentally funded and owned for the reasons you mentioned then.

The problem is not the fact that the prisons are private. It's that they are private corporations with government granted monopoly. Since they have no competition (and certainly, their "customers" get no choice in the matter), and their only obligation is to the shareholders, They don't have the prisoners' best interests at heart.

The solution, of course, is the same as any other industry dominated by a big monopoly that's fucking it's customers. Open it up to competition, and let the market decide.

bytedisorder

Activity: 489

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 09:55:46 PM

Gary Johnson.  Grin
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:56:41 PM

On the other points:

Border Opening has to go hand in hand with elimination of exploitable systems (welfare, mandated healthcare, etc) if there's no way for the illegal to consume public funds - then them being here doesn't matter. And while I think that it's silly to demand open borders (because you'd never get the right services cut or loopholes closed), I really think the best answer to this is enforcement. If a standard check at every government office or police interaction included having to prove citizenship and the penalty was 5 years of hard labor building the new border wall (50 foot high, 4 lanes wide... physical wall) you'd be had pressed to find an illegal anywhere.

On higher education: the system is broken - we need to stop funding it and let the institutions sink or swim on their own, right now a college degree is just a path to perpetual debt for most of the kids attending.

Prisoners: Bring back the chain gang. I don't care if they're digging holes & moving dirt across the field to fill in the hole they dug yesterday... but work them and work them hard. It's supposed to be punishment, no more cable tv - air conditioning or any sort of luxuries. 3 meals a day, a Cot in a 4x7 cell, pillow/blanket and toilet paper should be it. As for the quality of food - I'd probably use that as an incentive program - you're basic (for someone in solitary) is oatmeal, some sort of meat on bread and soup. Update the food based on job performance. At that point the most profitable prisons would be the ones doing the most useful work.
I approve of this post.  Cheesy
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:27:11 AM

+1

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 05:28:11 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 08:17:59 AM by Transisto

Debating Obama vs Romney is a waste of time, if not it's poor entertainment. I would have hoped peoples of this forum knew better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fgFXO522NU&feature=player_detailpage#t=28s
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: