Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:16:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama or Romney ?  (Read 21118 times)
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:26:21 AM

4. Make one self-defense law stating "If you are attacked then you have a right to defend yourself as long as you do not kill the attacker or attackers"

This one's not good.  Not unless you add another one about getting rid of all the lawyers.  There are many cases of whacked out attackers suing their victims.  Dead people can't sue.

If someone poses an immediate threat to my life or my family's life, they'd better be prepared to meet their maker.  Dead people can't pull triggers either.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethn
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 12:39:07 AM

An attacker is an attacker, it doesn't matter how a lawyer puts it, if someone attacks another person then they should be in jail because they are a threat to society, if they have mental hospital then they should be in a there own separate cell with care. Also if someone breaks into your home to attack you then that's just another case of self-defense, he's trying to attack you, you can defend yourself, it's when you shoot him and then shoot him again while he's running that I would make that against the law because then you're just murdering him.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 12:50:20 AM

#4. Install Flat (sales) Tax at 20%. Convert IRS into regulating entity for monitoring, collecting and reporting on income from this new tax.
Good luck. No government has ever been able to successfully enforce such a high sales tax.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
mdude77
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:05:13 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2012, 01:33:39 AM by mdude77

An attacker is an attacker, it doesn't matter how a lawyer puts it, if someone attacks another person then they should be in jail because they are a threat to society, if they have mental hospital then they should be in a there own separate cell with care. Also if someone breaks into your home to attack you then that's just another case of self-defense, he's trying to attack you, you can defend yourself, it's when you shoot him and then shoot him again while he's running that I would make that against the law because then you're just murdering him.

You didn't say anything here I disagree with.  Shooting someone while they are running away is not self defense, that is murder.

Shooting someone dead who breaks into your house with clear intent of bodily harm is self defense.

Scenario #1:

For example, hearing noises in your house in the middle of the night, you go to investigate, armed and prepared for the worst.  You find an intruder, aim your gun and tell him to drop to the ground and keep his hands where you can see them.

If he turns, and starts to pull a gun, you shoot, he dies, self defense.
If he turns, and starts running toward you with a knife drawn, you shoot, he dies, self defense.
If he turns, sees you means business, slowly raises his hands and gets down on his knees, then belly, with his hands outstretched, you'd better do nothing other than call 911, and hope he didn't come with a buddy.

Scenario #2:

Wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of your daughter screaming for help.  You investigate and find someone molesting your daughter.  You point your gun and tell him to stop.  

If he turns and runs towards you.  You shoot, he dies, self defense.
If he stops, and runs away, you'd better leave him alone, even though you're seething that someone was molesting your daughter.

Scenario #3:

This one actually happened not too long ago.  Your 12 year daughter is home alone.  Some stranger knocks at the door.  She wisely leaves it alone.  He goes around back and starts pounding on the back door.  She calls 911, then you.  You tell her to get the family gun and hide.  She does just that, hiding a closet.  He breaks in, and she can hear him going through the house searching for her.  He comes to the room she is in, and starts to open the closet door she is in.  She fires.  Clear self defense.  In this case he got away wounded.  If she had chased him down, that'd be murder.  If she had killed him with the first shot, that'd be self defense.  If he didn't run after being shot and started to assault her, and she manages to get another shot off that ends his life, self defense.

I hope this proves my point that your statement about "not killing your attacker" doesn't fly.  Changing it to "killing your attacker is clear self defense is fine, otherwise you're no better off than the attacker" would be better.

The key is clear intent of bodily harm.

M

Edit: Put another way, if I have every reason to believe it's going to me (or family member), or the attacker, I going to do my best to make sure it's the attacker that loses.

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 03:42:06 AM

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 05:06:24 AM

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 03:50:17 PM

Misleading, Obama has several deal breaker stance on issues for me, AA, STEM and legalization of illegals. There are huge differences on issues between Obama and Romney, to say they are the same, is highly misleading.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 04:10:25 PM

Misleading, Obama has several deal breaker stance on issues for me, AA, STEM and legalization of illegals. There are huge differences on issues between Obama and Romney, to say they are the same, is highly misleading.
Uh huh. You keep saying that...

Maybe you'll eventually convince yourself.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:00:09 PM

4. Make one self-defense law stating "If you are attacked then you have a right to defend yourself as long as you do not kill the attacker or attackers"

Where should I shoot them then?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:27:30 PM

Where should I shoot them then?

Why even put a self-defense law in a plan to reduce the deficit? That makes no sense. Also, self-defense is handled at the state level.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Lethn
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 06:28:01 PM

If you knew anything about the nervous system like I do you'd know where, in martial arts you get taught where the most vital points of a body are so you can avoid killing them by accident, as for guns well, of course the person is going to bleed to death anyway if you just leave them there, but you can't be that much of an asshole you'd just leave them to die right?

Having self-defense laws that make sense would mean you wouldn't have to waste as much money on a police and military while providing a lot of clarity for the people who are kept so it would drastically reduce the amount of money involved in law.

Did you attack this person? Yes? Then you're going to jail, it's that simple.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

If you knew anything about the nervous system like I do you'd know where, in martial arts you get taught where the most vital points of a body are so you can avoid killing them by accident, as for guns well, of course the person is going to bleed to death anyway if you just leave them there, but you can't be that much of an asshole you'd just leave them to die right?

Having self-defense laws that make sense would mean you wouldn't have to waste as much money on a police and military while providing a lot of clarity for the people who are kept so it would drastically reduce the amount of money involved in law.

The whole "proportional force" thing is a crock anyway. If you fear for your life, you shoot* to stop. The logic follows from there.

*(In England, you wave a toilet brush or pull a scary face and hope the attacker has a heart attack)

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:16:21 PM

I spent 7 years studying martial arts 3 times a week. What I learned is that no one is a super hero. Fighting is risky stuff. So I would not use my martial arts training if I have my gun.
I learned to shoot from my Dad, who learned it in the FBI. I do know what to do if attacked. If during the attack my life is in danger then the attacker will die before he/she ever see the gun. Even if your law were in effect I would do this. I would rather live in jail than be dead.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:21:59 PM

http://archive.org/details/COMW_20121024_063000_The_Colbert_Report#start/587/end/617

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:38:26 PM

If they attacked me in the first place with intent to rob or kill, then yeah, I'd be pretty guilt-free letting them die.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:53:15 PM

If they attacked me in the first place with intent to rob or kill, then yeah, I'd be pretty guilt-free letting them die.

It depends. If I lived somewhere that didn't have strong recognition of self defense, I might be tempted to finish the job, dispose of the body and pretend nothing had happened.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 07:58:53 PM

It depends. If I lived somewhere that didn't have strong recognition of self defense, I might be tempted to finish the job, dispose of the body and pretend nothing had happened.

That's just prudence, not guilt. Wink

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 01:49:04 AM

#4. Install Flat (sales) Tax at 20%. Convert IRS into regulating entity for monitoring, collecting and reporting on income from this new tax.
Good luck. No government has ever been able to successfully enforce such a high sales tax.

Govcoin... Bitcoin, now with mandatory fees!

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 01:54:16 AM

And 0 users.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 02:00:54 AM

And 0 users.

I suppose the usual "you need it to pay taxes" doesn't hold here Tongue  Large coorporations could be forced to use it though.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: