Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:40:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 78 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Government & Bitcoin  (Read 70802 times)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2016, 09:34:47 AM

If the government found a way to tax Bitcoin they would certainly have made that.But they have a problem of how to do it, because if the person who owns the Bitcoin does not report that it has Bitcoin how they charged tax at all?If Bitcoin succeed on a global scale no doubt that the government will find a way to take their share of the pie.

In most jurisdictions it is your obligation to report and pay taxes on your income (Bitcoin or no Bitcoin). So if you don't (on the pretext that they won't find out), you are still deliberately aiming at tax evasion, which is, for example, a criminal offense in the US...

Al Capone was charged with income tax evasion and sentenced to eleven years in prison

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
erwin45hacked
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 12:13:53 PM

If the government found a way to tax Bitcoin they would certainly have made that.But they have a problem of how to do it, because if the person who owns the Bitcoin does not report that it has Bitcoin how they charged tax at all?If Bitcoin succeed on a global scale no doubt that the government will find a way to take their share of the pie.

In most jurisdictions it is your obligation to report and pay taxes on your income (Bitcoin or no Bitcoin). So if you don't (on the pretext that they won't find out), you are still deliberately aiming at tax evasion, which is, for example, a criminal offense in the US...

Al Capone was charged with income tax evasion and sentenced to eleven years in prison

Lionel messi was also charged with fine when he evaded his tax. Things are different in my country, most people dont know about bitcoin and getting income from online such as trading or the others has become grey stuff so no one really report online income here, so thats depends on your contry you are living in
smith coins

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 01:02:07 PM

The sharing economy is just going to continue to grow, and governments will be challenged to understand and manage its implications while embracing its benefits. However, governments will be at a significant disadvantage if they wait too long and newer technologies and markets will have already been developed that do not follow traditional models. Think of the following: Uber is the world’s largest taxi service and owns no cars. Airbnb provides lodging yet does not own real estate.

How will local governments adapt to these new ways of doing business that are disrupting traditional business models? All we know now is that governments are a long way from even contemplating and accepting this new reality.

As far as i know a small couyntry has implemented bitcoin as their currency but don't know if it is successful or not.
Moving completely from fiat to bitcoin it's really hard, but as an alternate currency it can work.
It is very interesting and it can be a good practical exam for bitcoin, do you know the name of that  country?
It is Liberland here is a full article about that country http://insidebitcoins.com/news/liberland-europes-newly-formed-country-to-use-bitcoin/31979
spirit of btc

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 03:33:49 PM

Governments will want to make changes to the Bitcoin algorithm by adding identity information to the Bitcoin/Transaction. Without that bitcoin is inevitable, Governments will go mad about bitcoin.
expert4knowledge

Activity: 826

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 05:14:16 PM

Governments will want to make changes to the Bitcoin algorithm by adding identity information to the Bitcoin/Transaction. Without that bitcoin is inevitable, Governments will go mad about bitcoin.
I am pretty sure that it will happen someday that is not very far from now and that day prices of bitcoin will slump.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 07:20:52 PM

Yeah they would never accept it, if the user can't be anonymous. This way they can tax it.
Something which go against the complete goal of bitcoin, which is meant to be anonymous...
iCeSaiah

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 11:16:03 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong but bitcoins are tax free right? Just like religious establishments

If so then I think the government would have issues on how to tax this if its made known popularly.
MyBTT

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 06:32:57 AM

Some governments support Bitcoin and some don't. I am not really too sure about my country's government.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 08:16:04 AM

many countries govt. are against the bitcoins and its fresh example is rusian govt.

Stop talking about Russian government being against Bitcoin. It is pretty obvious that you neither have an idea what's going on there (here, lol), nor follow the events taking place in Russia in respect to Bitcoin. The former chairman of the Russian CB German Greff openly admits that he has bitcoins...

Wtf, even the fearsome Putin himself says that Bitcoin has value and application

HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 07:18:34 PM

Some governments support Bitcoin and some don't. I am not really too sure about my country's government.

there is country also which is using bitcoin as their national currency and many major countries like US and UK not accepting bitcoin because if bitcoin araise price of the usd and pound will get affect in world business matters So this the problem Government is not allowing for bitcoin.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 07:57:20 PM

many countries govt. are against the bitcoins and its fresh example is rusian govt.

Stop talking about Russian government being against Bitcoin. It is pretty obvious that you neither have an idea what's going on there (here, lol), nor follow the events taking place in Russia in respect to Bitcoin. The former chairman of the Russian CB German Greff openly admits that he has bitcoins...

Wtf, even the fearsome Putin himself says that Bitcoin has value and application

This is actually interesting to hear, I've never heard of Putin saying that Bitcoin had value and application, but I kind of expected to not hear any of this because of the West v. East circlejerk.

I never really thought of Russia being excessive anti-Bitcoin, aside from the stuff you hear on this forum, but I'm glad that they aren't as anti-Bitcoin as they are made out to be.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2016, 08:13:52 PM

This is actually interesting to hear, I've never heard of Putin saying that Bitcoin had value and application, but I kind of expected to not hear any of this because of the West v. East circlejerk.

I never really thought of Russia being excessive anti-Bitcoin, aside from the stuff you hear on this forum, but I'm glad that they aren't as anti-Bitcoin as they are made out to be.

Regarding Putin's statement about Bitcoin, look here. Concerning folks claiming that Bitcoin is banned in Russia, they simply don't see the real reason behind this "ban", though it is quite obvious. Bitcoin is officially "outlawed" because otherwise the Federal Tax Service of Russia would be legally obliged to chase after the owners of Bitcoin and their income thereof...

Which would be a hell broken loose

Bitcoinbro

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2016, 09:50:28 PM

there is country also which is using bitcoin as their national currency and many major countries like US and UK not accepting bitcoin because if bitcoin araise price of the usd and pound will get affect in world business matters So this the problem Government is not allowing for bitcoin.

Well i think they are just afraid of bitcoin.
The impact of bitcoin is big and I mean real big.
Their problem is they can't control the currency and the people using it, nor tax it 100%
Imran.shamsi

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 05:51:24 PM

in under development countries government don't know about bitcoin so that's why they don't collect tax..  Smiley
Mr. Big
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1176

While my guitar gently weeps!!!

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 11:40:01 AM

Well, lets just hope that government won't intervene with bitcoin and regulate it, but I don't think that they will enter bitcoin world that easy... as we all know, politicians don't care about those that they don't have control...  Smiley
Ernstew

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 05:10:32 PM

I think it all depends on which government you're talking about. Many governments around the world are actually embracing Bitcoin seeing the good in crypto currency. For example, the Belgium government isn't opposed to it at all.
The problem is that no one is really taking an actual stand as to "what is Bitcoin" - is it a currency ? is it just a wild bet ?
Once a government like the US will decide to adopt Bitcoin as a currency others will surely follow. On November 19th 2013 the US congress actually agreed that Bitcoin was a good thing, my guess is that it's just a matter of time until it because completely adopted as a currency.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 05:15:28 PM

The scary thing is that when Bitcoin really catches hold, the government will be the ones with the power and servers to mine til the cows come home.  Can you imagine the server stacks that they can devote to generating the new currency that is being adopted?
Ya-ing

Activity: 119

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 05:19:20 PM

If you think about government may be planning, it can be scary.

morantis

Activity: 868
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 05:20:27 PM

They could already be sitting on a vast number of Bitcoins that they have been mining for years.
diegz

Activity: 798

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 02:58:18 AM

Some government officials might have known something about bitcoin and some were already investing in bitcoin.. who knows..hehe  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 78 »
  Print  

Jump to: