Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:37:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382131 times)
liliiaolivia2017

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:20:30 PM

More people using Sia means more funding available to hire more developers. Cleverly thought...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
samspaces
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 06:11:55 PM

Can I run the forked client in the datadir of the old directory, so I won't have to download the whole chain again?
Thanks.
bribed

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 06:21:39 PM

Well just a regular update to inform us about what happen would help abit

Yup, at least that, to keep investors on track so that they dont loose faith after loosing a lot of money while holding on to SIA. Some regular updates here from the devs would really do good as well.
denam

Activity: 896
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 06:29:52 PM

Because of disabling my account at Bittrex I could benefit of the previous rise to increase the number of my tokens by trading existed. I have submitted docs and hopeful to be able to start trading with my Sia coins there. I will move large amount and will let only small portion. Sia looking again in good movement.
Hakkane

Activity: 422
Merit: 270

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 07:03:50 PM

Alright, if so then this coin was also just a target of too early speculation as many in the space are. What features are you referring too? I thought that the SIA platform was already up and running for some time isnt it?
But in general I stick with my statement, marketing is key in this space, it has become more important than being able to deliver on your promises, therefore if you dont do it, other projects will have an advantage over you, even if your project has better features etc. I think one should not underestimate this in the current times.

Yes, the network is already working, and currently 3300 Terabytes of storage are available of which 100 are in use.

The problem is that the part of the code for renters needs to be optimized, to improve speed, scalability (currently renters can't upload more than 5TB) reliability and the ability to recover your files just with your recovery seed. All those items are in the roadmap, and actually the next version 1.3.1 that is about to be released on the next days will be a huge step forward in that direction.

Yup, at least that, to keep investors on track so that they dont loose faith after loosing a lot of money while holding on to SIA. Some regular updates here from the devs would really do good as well.

The developers are being extremely transparent writing weekly reports about the development of Sia and other regular updates. Just check the #announcements channel on the Discord of Sia or the official Reddit

Can I run the forked client in the datadir of the old directory, so I won't have to download the whole chain again?
Thanks.

Just replace the installation with the files of the new version and you won't need to sync the blockchain again. For more details, check: https://siawiki.tech/client/updating_the_interface
hdasd

Activity: 216
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 03:28:55 PM

It is to bad, that devs are not active at least on twitter. It would help a lot. Of course not even mentioning better marketing. Please try to be more active on social network.

Second this. Better marketing could really be useful for SIA. I think there should be more marketing because SIA already got a working product. Not like many other projects that just talk about their future prospects but actually have nothing at all to show. These kind of projects often do alot of marketing efforts and therefore price of their coins/tokens gets pumped. I guess it would really do good for SIA to do some more aggresive marketing.

It's not ready for mass adoption. It doesn't have business grade stability and lacks certain features which are very important.

When it's ready, they'll advertise.
yeah,the price was pretty low now,I am planning to buy some coin and hold it when it raise to 10x
Caladonian

Activity: 1302
Merit: 540

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 03:32:26 PM

It is to bad, that devs are not active at least on twitter. It would help a lot. Of course not even mentioning better marketing. Please try to be more active on social network.

Second this. Better marketing could really be useful for SIA. I think there should be more marketing because SIA already got a working product. Not like many other projects that just talk about their future prospects but actually have nothing at all to show. These kind of projects often do alot of marketing efforts and therefore price of their coins/tokens gets pumped. I guess it would really do good for SIA to do some more aggresive marketing.

It's not ready for mass adoption. It doesn't have business grade stability and lacks certain features which are very important.

When it's ready, they'll advertise.
yeah,the price was pretty low now,I am planning to buy some coin and hold it when it raise to 10x
Buy and hold is good investment, finding those coins which still cheap and have a potential to grow in coming days  as
we are inside crypto and no one can really predict what can be the fate of any project, Sia have a good offer so buying
this coin and wait for further development will bring a good results.
samspaces
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 04:23:07 PM

Just replace the installation with the files of the new version and you won't need to sync the blockchain again. For more details, check: https://siawiki.tech/client/updating_the_interface

This worked, awesome!
bribed

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 05:23:45 PM

Alright, if so then this coin was also just a target of too early speculation as many in the space are. What features are you referring too? I thought that the SIA platform was already up and running for some time isnt it?
But in general I stick with my statement, marketing is key in this space, it has become more important than being able to deliver on your promises, therefore if you dont do it, other projects will have an advantage over you, even if your project has better features etc. I think one should not underestimate this in the current times.

Yes, the network is already working, and currently 3300 Terabytes of storage are available of which 100 are in use.

The problem is that the part of the code for renters needs to be optimized, to improve speed, scalability (currently renters can't upload more than 5TB) reliability and the ability to recover your files just with your recovery seed. All those items are in the roadmap, and actually the next version 1.3.1 that is about to be released on the next days will be a huge step forward in that direction.

Thanks for the information about this. I also think that speed and scalability are key components that need to be addressed to be superior than the competition. Do you know what the next version bring to the network in details? Or can you point me towards the source where I can read up on it? Thanks in advance!
Pajulapoiss

Activity: 554
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:02:19 AM

Previous pump to 112 or something got me pretty excited. I bet next one will be even bigger.

So what is this update about if I may ask? What will it improve?

thanks.

ur doing a great job btw!

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
Blockchain File Signatures
deeponion.org
jonoiv

Activity: 966
Merit: 526

🐺Dogs for President🐺

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 10:40:54 AM

Hopefully someone can answer this question.

I have a spare raspberry Pi 1 (b+).

Would it be possible to use this to host a sia node on siaberry,  and use this node with a storage contract as NAS?  Not for steaming, but just to store large files i don't use so often.  I mean provided the SD card is big enough for the OS and blockchain.  Then buy 1 or 2 TB with a contract?

If it is possible, does anyone know of any guides how to set this up.

Signature for hire!
Weider

Activity: 247

Blockchain will change the world.

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:48:30 PM

Anyway I think it would be for the best if devs would be more active on social network = free marketing. Specially twitter. It's not hard to do nor they need to invest money in it. They would make a lot of people much happier. Don't you think?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DAOX: Create & Manage Fundraising DAOs / Bounty & Airdrop / ANN THREAD / TELEGRAM
Hakkane

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 05:44:29 PM

Hopefully someone can answer this question.

I have a spare raspberry Pi 1 (b+).

Would it be possible to use this to host a sia node on siaberry,  and use this node with a storage contract as NAS?  Not for steaming, but just to store large files i don't use so often.  I mean provided the SD card is big enough for the OS and blockchain.  Then buy 1 or 2 TB with a contract?

If it is possible, does anyone know of any guides how to set this up.

Unfortunately Sia only works on 64-bit CPUs, thus being impossible to run it on a RPi 1b+... It its however possible to run Sia on a RPi3.

If I understand you, your plan is using a RPi as a mini-NAS backed up on the cloud of Sia. That should work perfectly, but I would recommend you to keep files locally too. The Duplicati integration of Sia can help you a lot for that task.

Also consider a distribution created by a contributor of the community (@Kete) called SiaBerryOS: https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6pzfeh/introducing_siaberryos_a_linux_operating_system/ It is meant not for renting, but for hosting data of the network. However it could be worth you take a look at it. Maybe you can adapt it to your needs

Thanks for the information about this. I also think that speed and scalability are key components that need to be addressed to be superior than the competition. Do you know what the next version bring to the network in details? Or can you point me towards the source where I can read up on it? Thanks in advance!
So what is this update about if I may ask? What will it improve?

thanks.

ur doing a great job btw!

Thank you!

The 1.3.1 release will focus on these elements:
  • Optional wallet auto-unlock on startup: This is a feature much demanded by hosts
  • UI overhaul: The graphical elements are being redesigned, so the UX looks more clean and modern. Also, new explanatory elements are going to be added to assist new users to understand how to create an allowance for renting storage space, and more detail to the reports of how the funds are being expending during the contracts
  • Renter overhaul: The whole backend code for renters is being redesigned. Without going into much technical detail (check the GitHub of Sia for details): a) the current version has problems of uploads being stalled, that's being fixed, b) currently the performance of Sia on a renter slows down when he approaches 5TB of uploaded data, so this is being optimized to allow up to 40TB (further increases are planned for the future); c) reduction in the RAM memory usage; d) a totally new filesystem that will allow nested folders to be uploaded; e) A feature called WAL (write ahead log) that will improve reliability of data upload and prevent data loss; f) many new parts of code that while they don't have an immediate use, will be the foundation of all the future features of Sia (like file sharing, recovery of files just with the seed, synchronizing files between two computers or file streaming)
  • Connectivity fixes: There is an issue that is making 1.3.0 nodes loss sometimes the connectivity to other peers. This is being corrected
  • Difficulty adjustment algorithm (DAA) fix: The recent hardfork for changing the DAA presented an unexpected bug, and a new hardfork will be introduced in this version of the software to correct it

And speaking about connectivity: if you are using the Sia client and your client is unable to sync to the latest block or you made a transfer but your client does not show it in the balance, try this workaround: https://www.siastats.info/nodes.html
Weider

Activity: 247

Blockchain will change the world.

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:04:20 AM

Thank you for the update.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DAOX: Create & Manage Fundraising DAOs / Bounty & Airdrop / ANN THREAD / TELEGRAM
z0n0
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:57:53 AM

Hakkane,
how many different SIA wallets are there?
ChinkyEyes

Activity: 687
Merit: 301

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 10:17:23 AM

I sold all of my Siacoin earlier this year, but now with the recent pumps enough money was made. So I am back holding Sia, I believe this is a sleeping giant. We have seen this year that coins with a billion+ coins can make really huge growths. Sia has a working product and definitely a useful idea which will be great in the future. Going to keep on buying Sia the next few weeks because it is so cheap.
bribed

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 01:49:40 PM

Thank you!

The 1.3.1 release will focus on these elements:
  • Optional wallet auto-unlock on startup: This is a feature much demanded by hosts
  • UI overhaul: The graphical elements are being redesigned, so the UX looks more clean and modern. Also, new explanatory elements are going to be added to assist new users to understand how to create an allowance for renting storage space, and more detail to the reports of how the funds are being expending during the contracts
  • Renter overhaul: The whole backend code for renters is being redesigned. Without going into much technical detail (check the GitHub of Sia for details): a) the current version has problems of uploads being stalled, that's being fixed, b) currently the performance of Sia on a renter slows down when he approaches 5TB of uploaded data, so this is being optimized to allow up to 40TB (further increases are planned for the future); c) reduction in the RAM memory usage; d) a totally new filesystem that will allow nested folders to be uploaded; e) A feature called WAL (write ahead log) that will improve reliability of data upload and prevent data loss; f) many new parts of code that while they don't have an immediate use, will be the foundation of all the future features of Sia (like file sharing, recovery of files just with the seed, synchronizing files between two computers or file streaming)
  • Connectivity fixes: There is an issue that is making 1.3.0 nodes loss sometimes the connectivity to other peers. This is being corrected
  • Difficulty adjustment algorithm (DAA) fix: The recent hardfork for changing the DAA presented an unexpected bug, and a new hardfork will be introduced in this version of the software to correct it

And speaking about connectivity: if you are using the Sia client and your client is unable to sync to the latest block or you made a transfer but your client does not show it in the balance, try this workaround: https://www.siastats.info/nodes.html

Hey there, thanks for the very detailed answer, good to see that there is so much work being done around SIA. I will still keep holding and hope that more people will jump in in 2018! SIA is a really nice project.
Hakkane

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:32:08 PM

Hakkane,
how many different SIA wallets are there?

The only complete one is the official client of Sia, that includes a wallet: https://sia.tech/apps/

There are also a couple of cold storage options. The generate you some addresses and a recovery seed to access the funds in the future, so you can send there funds for long-term savings. If you want to move the funds elsewhere, you'll need to download the full client and use the recovery seed provided by the cold wallet. This one, for example, is developed by one of the Core team developers, so it is 100% legit: https://github.com/avahowell/sia-coldstorage/releases

There is also a non-official Android app with wallet capabilities, but I would personally not trust it for large amounts of funds. In the past it suffered issues withdrawing funds too.
jonoiv

Activity: 966
Merit: 526

🐺Dogs for President🐺

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:18:51 PM

trying out 1.3.1  release candidate, seems faster!

the price is also up 12% in the last 2 hours Smiley

Signature for hire!
rancidgash

Activity: 735
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 11:26:33 PM

trying out 1.3.1  release candidate, seems faster!

the price is also up 12% in the last 2 hours Smiley

It is now 23% green on Poloniex!  Cheesy Nice jump up! I hope that by the end of the year we will reach level at least 100 satoshi! Cheesy
C'mon Siacoin!
Pages: « 1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: