Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:28:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: McDonald’s Is Days From Opening Restaurant Run Entirely By Robots  (Read 15858 times)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 04:17:41 AM

Hopefully, just hopefully.
These robots won't forget to put the patty in the Big Mac... smh XD.

Don't worry about that. Machines seldom makes mistakes (if they are programmed correctly in the first place). That is one of the advantages, when you replace humans with machines. The chances of error, are reduced to near-zero. The robots will misperform, only in cases of system hacks or any other serious issues.
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 09:45:44 AM

Suckers, just wait until the robots realize there are better paying jobs out there.

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 01:38:10 PM

Suckers, just wait until the robots realize there are better paying jobs out there.

LOL.  They claim these robots will make no mistakes, which I think is impossible and actually, quite scary if their statement was true.  Could this be the next step to intelligent AI taking over humans?  Grin
Gabriel.S

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 01:48:44 PM

LOL.  They claim these robots will make no mistakes, which I think is impossible and actually, quite scary if their statement was true.  Could this be the next step to intelligent AI taking over humans?  Grin

I don't think they will make any mistakes. I make sure I always order something weird with the dressings on my burger, like extra cheese, no pickles ect so they must make me a fresh burger each time.
I'm sure the robots will never fuck up an order I make now. All the time with real people it gets messed up.
Hopefully that will be a thing of the past.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 03:53:35 PM

APNewsBreak: McDonald's to shrink in US, 1st time in decades

NEW YORK (AP) — The burger chain that put "supersize" into the American vernacular is slimming down: For the first time in more than 40 years, and perhaps ever, McDonald's says the number of U.S. restaurants it has is shrinking.

McDonald's plans to close more restaurants in the U.S. than it opens this year, according to the world's biggest hamburger chain. That hasn't happened since at least 1970, according to an Associated Press review of McDonald's regulatory filings.

Becca Hary, a McDonald's spokeswoman, declined to provide a specific figure but said the reduction would be "minimal" compared with its total of about 14,300 U.S. locations.

Still, the contraction is symbolic of troubles under the Golden Arches and how it's trying to regroup.

The company enjoyed rapid expansion for much of its history by offering consistent food at affordable prices. It even thrived during the recession, when its Dollar Menu drew in people trying to save money and new products like McCafe coffee drove up sales.

But since then, chains like Chipotle that market themselves as serving better food and ingredients have chipped away at McDonald's dominance. A new breed of "better burger" chains such as Five Guys Burgers and Fries is taking away customers, too.

McDonald's past success led to "a natural overconfidence," said John Gordon, a restaurant industry analyst with Pacific Management Consulting Group.

"McDonald's is such an internally focused organization, it's a situation where you don't have a fresh perspective coming in," Gordon said.

McDonald's executives have also conceded that an overly complicated menu led to inaccurate orders and longer wait times, and that they failed to keep pace with changing tastes.

CUTTING THE FAT

In April, McDonald's said it would close about 700 underperforming locations around the world this year, including in the U.S. CEO Steve Easterbrook, who stepped into the role on March 1, also later laid out plans to restructure the company to remove layers of bureaucracy and move more nimbly.

In any given year, some underperforming McDonald's restaurants will close. But previously, the number of closings has been outweighed by new restaurants that open.

The U.S. store closings will be a mix of franchised and company-owned locations, Hary said. She noted that the closings are part of a strategic review intended to set the stage for the future growth. The company did not provide a list of locations expected to close.

McDonald's Corp. has not reported an annual reduction in U.S. locations since at least 1970, according to archived filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. For 1969, McDonald's did not include a U.S. store count in its annual report.

The company declined to comment on the last time it reduced its U.S. store base. But given the rapid expansion that characterized its early years, it's likely McDonald's hadn't pulled back since Ray Kroc founded the company in 1955.

SATURATION POINT OR ROOM TO RUN?

Closing weak stores isn't unusual for companies trying to turn around their fortunes. Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz shuttered hundreds of U.S. cafes after returning to head the company in 2008. Since then, the coffee chain has enjoyed healthy sales growth and expanded its footprint.

Mike Donahue, who served as McDonald's chief communications officer before leaving in 2006, said McDonald's hasn't necessarily reached its limit in the U.S.

"The only thing that stops growth is relevancy to the customer," said Donahue, who has since co-founded Lyfe Kitchen, a chain that positions itself as serving more wholesome food.

Even though it's closing locations, McDonald's easily remains the country's biggest hamburger chain. It still has more than twice as many restaurants as No. 2 Burger King, according to the industry tracker Technomic.

Among all fast-food chains, Subway has the most locations in the country with about 27,000 stores, though they do far less business than the typical McDonald's.

And McDonald's is still growing globally. It plans to add about 300 restaurants to its worldwide total of more than 36,000.

Donahue said that people were saying decades ago that McDonald's had reached its saturation point in the U.S. But within the company, he said there was always confidence that there was room to expand.

Even when McDonald's closed underperforming stores in the past, he said it would open new restaurants in better locations. The closings this year appear to be a way to strengthen its base of stores, he said.

"What they're doing is pruning the tree," he said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fba7276a0e4241fda7dac7cacd505722/apnewsbreak-mcdonalds-shrinks-us-perhaps-1st-time

Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1128

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 04:09:51 PM

First of all, McD is not even going to replace their (human) employees with robots, at least for the next 30 years. And by that time, the low skilled people will be able to find some other manual job, which suits them. They can't suddenly replace all their 2 million employees in a year or two. For heaven's sake it is impossible to manufacture that many robots, currently.

Yeah actually I didn't say the machine will replace all of human employees in short time, and can you mention the other manual job that suit them ? I think all of the jobs will be replaced by machine too. Because what? Because....
Machines seldom makes mistakes (if they are programmed correctly in the first place). That is one of the advantages, when you replace humans with machines. The chances of error, are reduced to near-zero. The robots will misperform, only in cases of system hacks or any other serious issues.

So, I think the employer or businessman want to get more customers and gain higher profit right? Avoid humans errors with machines.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 09:13:05 PM

In 1971, when I was in high school, and making a $1.65 an hour, McDonald’s was considered a top notch job for teens that wanted to work, and could maintain decent grades at the sametime. Interestingly enough, when we were in school, and McDonald’s was open for business during the day, retirees who wanted to stay busy worked the shifts during school hours. During that same time in the history of the U.S., immigration was limited to those who could hold their own in this country, while high school students were taught a trade if they chose not to go to college or join the military.

Now fast forward to the “progressive” 21st century where foreigners that speak little or no English, head straight for the welfare and unemployment lines, and work in those jobs once held by high school students. They have no skills, they take money from our economy and ship it home to “their” countries (more than a few I’ve talked to have no interest in being U.S. citizens), and our education system has devalued a college education by telling everyone that they must go to college, which means that an AA or a BA really doesn’t mean much anymore to the point that employees with college degrees are only making 10.00 an hour. Now couple that with the losers that think they are entitled to 15.00 an hour for flipping burgers instead of gaining skills that justify a 15.00 an hour wage, along with liberals in political offices in cities such as Seattle and Los Angeles that force businesses to pay outrageous wages, and it does my heart good to see businesses, even businesses run by liberals push back and think outside the box to avoid paying 15.00 an hour for an ungrateful and unskilled loser that they hired.

Way to go Mickey D’s!

Odd part of the $15 per hour crowd is they complain they can’t affordrent and other expenses. Maybe the $15 crowd should quit smoking and buying smart phones. A pack of cigarettes costs as much as they make in an hour.

Machines are causing unemployment, but it will be a good thing. Human beings shouldn’t do that kind of soul killing and demeaning work. Humans should have free access to all the education they can use and we should build a bright future, get off this rock!

Odd part of the $15 per hour crowd is they complain they can’t affordrent and other expenses. Maybe the $15 crowd should quit smoking and buying smart phones. A pack of cigarettes costs as much as they make in an hour.

Im not sure thats the right way to attack them. Most probably they arent the bums you portrait them here. The working poor in the US are a growing problem. Full time work and still poor.

Im not sure why you think its correct to work fulltime for an amount of money that will leave you back with nothing at the end of the month. They have all right to complain.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:12:38 PM

... Good to know...

Roll Eyes

CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:24:50 PM

Well that's something we don't see in the news every day. I wouldn't be surprised if people would go outside the establishment and protest about giving them jobs. Clearly they see the future coming and they could have done something to adopt it slowly. Relying on a job in McDonalds won't get you much. These people are just pathetic IMO. Sure $15/hour rate is decent but why stick to that when you can get more by exploring the world? They must go and see their options in life. Jeez.

freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 10:14:03 AM

And when people do not have jobs who will eat their hamburgers? Robots?...
aikunsatu

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 11:09:27 AM

The beginning of an end has begun  Shocked Many corporate eateries will follow...
neoneros

Activity: 462

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 12:32:35 PM

When all jobs are taken by our robot friends, there is no need to work, so this is why we need to revolutionise the economy, we cannot rely on labour alone for our income and expenses, we need another form of income, or at least a way to get what we want without us having to mis out on our luxury lives.

Crypto currencies can contribute largely to the robot community, making payments between machines and keeping up an economy for the bots. Though satire, this is what the future beholds for us, and it has already begun.

jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 04:03:18 PM

-snip-

Thats a Volkswagen plant robot, and that place has many heavy equipments. So, what kind of accidents can be made by a chef robot in McD?

And when people do not have jobs who will eat their hamburgers? Robots?...

Well the robot engineers can eat that, or a rich guy that want junk food maybe. I think there are many labors from other companies, so they can eat it too. There is always a job to people, it just depends on what the people want, is the job suitable for them or not.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
neoneros

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 02:05:52 PM

Well the robot engineers can eat that, or a rich guy that want junk food maybe. I think there are many labors from other companies, so they can eat it too. There is always a job to people, it just depends on what the people want, is the job suitable for them or not.

The question could be, is the job enjoyable enough for them. In todays society the main question always is, does it bring a stable income and can I see myself in this job till I retire. Only a handfull can really do what they enjoy. Often people do enjoy doing their job the few first years, then they grow into the job, it get repetitive, you can change, but your experience makes it easier to stay within your field of expertise because as an expierienced employee you can earn more. It is hard to take  a risk and break the spriral, which financialy is going up, but personaly is going down.

If Robots do most of the labour, you can chose whatever you like to do whenever you like, don't want to do a specific job anymore? A robot will take over and nothing is lost. You can try, learn, make mistakes, all day long, let the bots clean up or speed up for making time.

The future looks bright, until skynet takes over offcourse  Cool

jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 04:17:56 PM

The question could be, is the job enjoyable enough for them. In todays society the main question always is, does it bring a stable income and can I see myself in this job till I retire.

I think the best word that can representative what you have explained is "suitable". If you get job with high salary, but you can't enjoy it, so the job is not suitable for you. Or if you get job where you enjoy it, but you don't get enough income from that, then it's not suitable too for you.

Only a handfull can really do what they enjoy. Often people do enjoy doing their job the few first years, then they grow into the job, it get repetitive, you can change, but your experience makes it easier to stay within your field of expertise because as an expierienced employee you can earn more. It is hard to take  a risk and break the spriral, which financialy is going up, but personaly is going down.

If you have good experience in your position and want to get new challenge, then you can move to other company that has same field with your old company. Atleast, you will get a new atmosphere around you.

If Robots do most of the labour, you can chose whatever you like to do whenever you like, don't want to do a specific job anymore? A robot will take over and nothing is lost. You can try, learn, make mistakes, all day long, let the bots clean up or speed up for making time.

Sometimes robot can make mistake too

The future looks bright, until skynet takes over offcourse  Cool

Well I think you need to stop watching sci-fi movies for now

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 06:09:00 PM

LOL. Is there a mainstream source for this?

Robots are getting more skilled these days. I was fooled and thought this was a real story.
In the not too distant future this could be a real story, and where will all those people go for jobs?

jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 06:45:57 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2015, 07:11:38 PM by jayce

LOL. Is there a mainstream source for this?

Robots are getting more skilled these days. I was fooled and thought this was a real story.
In the not too distant future this could be a real story, and where will all those people go for jobs?

I think they can become a labor of the robots manufacturing plant then. There is a job for every person, e.g you can sell your lemonade in your neighborhood maybe. It just depends on what you have in yourself. If you have trading skill, so you can be a trader or broker.  I guess there is no robot can become a broker  Smiley

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 05:07:31 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2015, 07:58:41 AM by jayce

Tell that to Willy Wink

Well let him seek the related articles Cheesy

I heard even Tibanne Cat tried to be a broker but he ended up losing a pendrive with his owner's private keys.

So we can say he doesn't have any skill to become a broker

If robots start serving you in the restaurants there will be no need for people in the robot factories. As we speak cars are being made by robots without the use of people, just wait until robots are made by robots and the cycle is complete.

I think the factory still need human employee, but their numbers will be reduced surely.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
neoneros

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 11:47:19 AM

I think the factory still need human employee, but their numbers will be reduced surely.

Just like most powerplants run 24/7 with only two employers on the ground, the biggest workforce is in marketing and customer support. The most of the work is done by the computers or better named robot brains to stick on topic. Most factories and production has reduced it's human interferance and taken the step to automation. A lot of things have and this will continue, human interaction is reduced to the minimum. Obsolete in some processes but not trusted entirely to remove the humans from the job. Like automated busses where passenger will not get in if there is no one behind the steering wheel.

I might watch and read too much sci fi, but I see a lot of progress and the bitcoin/economic revolution is always said to be the last one, after we declared god dead, started the industrial and digital revolution this is the final step towards the human freedom, or demise, depends how you look at it Smiley

renbit

Activity: 257

[insert trending meme] 人

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2015, 10:38:27 PM

[

If robots start serving you in the restaurants there will be no need for people in the robot factories. As we speak cars are being made by robots without the use of people, just wait until robots are made by robots and the cycle is complete.

[/quote]

this paradigm ends up with humans becoming outmoded by their robot counterparts and merely praying to be adopted as curious meat pets.
but the real fun will happen not when robots design robots that design better robots , but when the robots start redesigning and modifying  the human genome.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: