Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:35:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: McDonald’s Is Days From Opening Restaurant Run Entirely By Robots  (Read 15858 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 06:31:38 PM

Well, you would be outcompeted in a short time by those that use robots to manufacture the robots. Cheesy You would not be able to compete because of the high wages you would have to pay.

A part of the human workforce can be replaced with robots, but it is impossible to replace human intelligence with them. For example, can you imagine robots doing coding and programming? There are certain sections which are going to flourish once the robots take over the workforce. Remember the early computer era. The unemployment rate declined after the invention of computers, rather than going up.

You are right. Though at the end the amount of people needed to code software is way way less than the amount of workers you would need to do the work manually. Of course the robots has to be created too and all.

I'm not so sure where all the low education workers will have to work at the end.

It's likely that such kind of works will be outsourced in third world countries then too. Roll Eyes

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 06:35:28 PM

its a publicity stunt. McDonald's is desperate, their earnings are in steady decline and they will try anything. even if their robot restaurant works out and they open more, at the end of the day it is still McDonald's. unethically sourced GMO food that doesn't even taste very good. synthetic french fry oil that causes anal leakage colon cancer. it isn't the 60s any more, or even the 80s. people have access to information about what they buy and eat now. you can only feed them garbage for so long before they find something better. maybe something that you can actually chew on instead of the soft warm wet salty mess they serve up under the golden arches.

Yeah, living in the US i would never eat there. I would eat organic food from where i know it was produced correctly.

I can't believe that the corporations in the US are that strong that they have their man in the politics and the organisations that should prove that GMO is safe. If a european country is against GMO then the US government acts... like the government is a business arm.

I can't believe living in a country where is a ruling that it is forbidden to mark your food GMO-Free, because the proof organisations found that GMO is identical to normal food and such marks would mean a business disadvantage for gmo-food. Roll Eyes Well, no wonder when they have their ex employees everyone.

Creepy this US system.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 06:36:00 PM

its a publicity stunt. McDonald's is desperate, their earnings are in steady decline and they will try anything. even if their robot restaurant works out and they open more, at the end of the day it is still McDonald's. unethically sourced GMO food that doesn't even taste very good. synthetic french fry oil that causes anal leakage colon cancer.

It is the same with every other fast food chain as well. The only emphasis is to increase their profit. For that, they will source their ingredients and raw materials from anywhere. The health-related aspects are normally ignored. For example, the oil which McDonald's use for frying contain harmful and toxic substances such as Dimethylpolysiloxane and Butylhydroquinone. Although these substances are not banned currently, researchers have argued that they can cause liver failure, sterility.etc.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 11:34:28 PM

its a publicity stunt. McDonald's is desperate, their earnings are in steady decline and they will try anything. even if their robot restaurant works out and they open more, at the end of the day it is still McDonald's. unethically sourced GMO food that doesn't even taste very good. synthetic french fry oil that causes anal leakage colon cancer.

It is the same with every other fast food chain as well. The only emphasis is to increase their profit. For that, they will source their ingredients and raw materials from anywhere. The health-related aspects are normally ignored. For example, the oil which McDonald's use for frying contain harmful and toxic substances such as Dimethylpolysiloxane and Butylhydroquinone. Although these substances are not banned currently, researchers have argued that they can cause liver failure, sterility.etc.

That's the beauty for businesses in the US. Every substance is allowed... until it gets disallowed. And that only happens when people died. Or so.

In europe you only are allowed to use substances that were proven to not be dangerous. Completely different.

Though we have free trade agreements in the making. They will kill this "trade barrier". Roll Eyes

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 12:07:16 PM

Carl’s Jr. CEO wants to try automated restaurant where customers ‘never see a person’

NEW YORK – A CEO of a fast-food company is causing a stir on social media after claiming that he wants to create a fully automated restaurant.

“We could have a restaurant that’s focused on all-natural products and is much like an Eatsa, where you order on a kiosk, you pay with a credit or debit card, your order pops up, and you never see a person,” Carl’s Jr. CEO Andy Puzder told Business Insider.

Puzder says the automated restaurant would be cheaper since he wouldn’t have to worry about rising minimum wage.

“They’re always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there’s never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case,” says Puzder of swapping employees for machines. “Millennials like not seeing people. I’ve been inside restaurants where we’ve installed ordering kiosks… and I’ve actually seen young people waiting in line to use the kiosk where there’s a person standing behind the counter, waiting on nobody.”

Needless to say, many customers were less than pleased with the idea.

http://kfor.com/2016/03/17/carls-jr-ceo-wants-to-try-automated-restaurant-where-customers-never-see-a-person/

aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:24:36 PM

This sounds like just a big vending machine.  I wonder what the customers will do when the order is incorrect or they don't give the correct change, etc.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:50:40 PM

Carl’s Jr. CEO wants to try automated restaurant where customers ‘never see a person’

http://kfor.com/2016/03/17/carls-jr-ceo-wants-to-try-automated-restaurant-where-customers-never-see-a-person/

Surely it's been posted on this thread already, but since the discussion turns to Carl's Jr...and amazingly it does not seem to be an Onion article...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7SaO0JAHk

Best motto ever:

"Carl's Jr.  Fuck you; I'm eating."

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
onlinedragon

Activity: 1036
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 03:59:33 PM

Wow I start hating each company who only work with robots in the future. If each company will work with robots what have humans to do to earn there money.
wakhidNkcom

Activity: 539
Merit: 500

Nkcom Collection Shop

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 04:00:22 PM

So has it opened yet?
where are the pictures and videos, I gotta see this shit.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 04:01:11 PM

Surely it's been posted on this thread already, but since the discussion turns to Carl's Jr...and amazingly it does not seem to be an Onion article...

Best motto ever:

Who directed that movie? Michel de Nostredame?

Cheesy

The general theme of this thread is fast food automation and robots taking over low-skilled jobs (for now), while unions push for hire wages... Death loop.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 04:27:33 PM

Best motto ever:

Who directed that movie? Michel de Nostredame?

Cheesy

The general theme of this thread is fast food automation and robots taking over low-skilled jobs (for now), while unions push for hire wages... Death loop.

This general issue with low-skilled jobs has been theorized about for a long time.  The latest buzz is that it's quite possible, and in a funny way perhaps even more threatening, to the white-collar class.  The solution which appeals to some, though, is about the same;  a global population of humans much lower than we see today.  Something in-line with what the Georgia Guidestones outline.  The United Nations basically says as much in their Agenda 2030 summary and one does not even need to squint very hard to see it.

In the here and now, the dynamic feedback loop you mention is interesting (and depressing) to observe.

Back to the future (and Idiocracy):  We all 'know' that Donald Trump is a Nazi because the media says it a lot.  Watch for the solution:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7uw9x-_HqM

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2016, 06:26:53 PM

while unions push for hire wages... Death loop.

It's not avoidable at all that they get replaced. They can't possibly compete with machines and the costs they have in the future. You only need to wait for mass manufacturing of these robots. So there is simply no way all these jobs stay.

Some will stay because customers want the human service and pay more. But generally...

And in fact it is no problem at all. Jobs appeared that did not exist 10 years ago. Alot of people worked for the food manufacturing years ago, now it is a very tiny percent only.

Jobs change.

The unions are not to be blamed. Any job that pays so low that you can't live from it, that you are a working poor, is an error in the system. We go back to middle age times where it was normal that people were too poor to live normally. The problem is that it is allowed to undercut the competition that way. If there would be strict rules that avoid that then everyone would have the same market rules and could only play on the level they all have to follow. But when competition can undercut alot, so that customers go there then you have to undercut too.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 19, 2016, 07:49:57 PM

I've noticed a lot of people are concerned about technology replacing human labor; the idea is that inevitably the machines will replace everyone and everything, and in this scenario there would be nothing left for people to do.  This appears to be a bad thing concerning how one makes a living, but one must also consider the flip side to this scenario, where everything gets dirt cheap because machines are far more efficient than humans in most cases (and in the cases they aren't, there's the factor of improving the machine so that it becomes more efficient); while a human needs a plethora of things to keep going--food, housing, clothing, healthcare, family, recreation, etc. etc.--robots need far less, just energy and maintenance, can work for a long time without "rest", and can work faster.  So the idea of a 2.50$ McDonald's value meal, just as an example, means we can feed far more people for far less; what would've cost perhaps 40$ to feed the family of 4 is pushed down to 10$, which can allow people to allocate money elsewhere.  Meanwhile, the people who no longer work at these establishments are free to pursue work in other fields, most likely services.  With the lowered cost of business operation, thanks to the fact that the business owners no longer have to pay for very expensive human laborers, more businesses can open and stay afloat, meaning it's easier and more preferable to become a business owner than to be an employee.  The increased prevalence of machinery will further democratize business ownership.

The same complaints are always heard about any new machine replacing human laborers; there's a short term woe of "what will I do", but a long term boon now that humans are free from another monotonous task.  Nobody wants to farm the old school way, it now takes 1 farmer to do the same job as 20 farmers, thanks to machines.  Nobody complains about the lowered cost of food production, and the farmers went and did something else.  The pain of the "what will I do" is worsened, however, in a suppressed economic environment where job creation is stifled by government policies; with unemployment at a really nasty rate as it is, it's clear why there's fear for the future.  There's two routes from there: either slow or stop technological progress so the slugging economy can catch up, or stop stifling economic growth with bad policies so economic activity can match technological advancement.  The latter has two advantages, the former has two disadvantages, so the answer to me is obvious.

I don't fear the robots, however.  Even assuming there was an AI developed which could produce illustrations and concept art--which dictates both technical skill and creative prowess, which dictates a ton of prerequisites--I'd just use that AI to my own advantage so I wouldn't have to create it myself.  If ever there was an AI which could replace human direction itself, and AI could run a business better than any human could, then it'd effectively free us all as there'd be nothing to do, which would give rise to a humongous technological boom (as is what happens when people have lots of free time), probably pushing us to colonize space.  Then you'd get into the fantastical stories about how the AI might try to turn on its human owners and turn into a Matrix situation and so forth Grin  I always felt the Matrix situation is a bit silly; with all the energy in the universe, why harvest humans?  The energy output would be minuscule compared to harvesting energy from the just the sun, let alone the rest of the stars, and machines can thrive far better in space and high temperatures than anything else.  If I was a machine with that sort of AI, I'd leave Earth.  But anyway, we're not talking about AI, we're talking about menial tasks like burger-flipping and getting the fucking order right, things which could've been automated a long time ago.  IMO, if what you're doing can be replaced by a machine with the most basic of programming, you should probably do something else, or at least expect to be potentially replaced at some point in your life.

The real question here is this: do you want to be served by a machine?  I think a lot of people would much rather prefer there be a human to talk to--and I'm sure these stores will still have human managers to talk with.  But would you want a machine to prepare your food?  There's ups and downs, I think; among the upsides would be, no chance of someone spitting in your food or otherwise getting their bodily parts in it by accident, such as hair.  I can only imagine the amount of spit I've consumed from fast food without realizing it, though I'm sure it has happened at least once.  I think the most realistic scenario is that McDonald's & Co. will be competing with more services-oriented restaurant establishments e.g. Hooters, where there's a higher expectation to have some human interaction; if there's anything a machine is not going to replace (at least not anytime soon), it's a real woman.  So while you'd go to one of these automated restaurants if you just want something quick and cheap (such as how fast food ought to be), you'd go to the services-oriented restaurant, or perhaps a restaurant where you're expecting to have a professional cook prepare your meal which a robot will likely not be able to do anytime soon, when you want real people involved with your restaurant experience.  I think this will be the case going forward, that some people will prefer the labor of other actual people in certain situations, until we get to a point where machine and human are indistinguishable, and even then there'd be preference for the real thing out of principle.

Surely it's inevitable; fast food prices are already getting a bit steep.  It costs like 20$ to feed two people on average from a fast food joint over here in Texas, when you factor in taxes.  I could get a lot more food from the grocery store and prepare it myself; a big bag of rice would cost like 5$ and that'd keep everyone in the family fed for a month (although it'd get pretty boring eating rice all the time.)  The cost needs to stay low for people to feel it's worth the price; if you raise the wages of fast food workers to, say, 15/hr, then the business will need to make up for that with higher prices on their items.  Those higher prices can drive away customers, as they don't want to pay so much for what can be considered a meal that's not worth that price.  This causes the business to either make cuts or go under due to loss of customers.  Is this a better fate than making less than 15/hr?  In truth, those who are willing to work for less than that will replace those who are not.  That's just how it goes.  People don't value fast food very much, that's why it doesn't sell for much; we only buy it because it's cheap and quick.  Remove the cheapness and you may as well not get fast food; if I was paying Outback prices for fast food, I'd go to Outback and get some better food, with better service and better aesthetics too (well, depends on where you go I suppose, but the one around here is pretty good.)  Those who don't like this fact should find better work; you're paid your labor's worth, no more.  As stated, the dawn of machines in fast food will drive down costs and make fast food even more worthwhile to purchase, so it's a no-brainer for the business owner if there's no difference to the customer.  But that's what we'll see, whether people will respond positively toward the replacement of workers with machines, and whether the improved cost of production outweighs the loss of human service.  If it's anything like most fast food places are around here, the service would actually be improved by the machines. Wink

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2016, 08:16:50 PM

Mike Christ

I was pretty disappointed when I once coded artificial intelligence by simulating braincells with neuronal networks. I awaited that something surprising might happen. In reality all they can do is learn what you teach them. The only difference to normal computing is that they are able to find out things that are similar. That is not possible in normal computation.

Though the AI of today is not really impressive. The progress to let them make something out of the range they were specified for is practically not there.

Regarding wages, sure if one company raises wages then they will lose. But if all companies raise wages then the competition has the same rules to play on. It really should not happen that people in the US have three jobs they do dailly and still only barely can pay for their lives. That is inhumanly.

Instead school should start to teach people that being employed is not the only way to earn money. Let them learn how self employment can work, how it can be done with less risk and such. That could overcome many problems like missing workplaces. People simply have no idea. Most think "Self employed? I can't do this, you need 10k USD to start something." and that's it then. It's simply not in their world of imagination.

mikehersh2

Activity: 462
Merit: 273

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 09:59:48 PM

Sounds extremelty efficient, however, like in most instances where robots are replacing people, many will lose jobs, causing a lot of controversy. The technology is there

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▄
    ▄  ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▄
  ▄▀▄▀▀             ▀▀▄▀
 ▄▀▄▀         ▄       ▀▄
  ▄▀         ███       ▀▄▀▄
▄ █   ▀████▄▄███▄       █ █
█ █     ▀▀▀███████▄▄▄▄  █ █
█ █       ██████████▀   █ ▀
▀▄▀▄       ▀▀█████▀    ▄▀
   ▀▄        ▐██▄     ▄▀▄▀
  ▀▄▀▄▄       ███▄  ▄▄▀▄▀
    ▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄████▀▀ ▄▀
       ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄     ▀
         █ ▄▀
   ▄▀     █    ▄▀
  ▄   ▄▄  ██▄▄▀
 ▀      ▀▄▄██   ▄ ▄▄▀▀

▀██ ▄▀▀▀▄ ▀▄
           ███▀
 ▀▄
  ▄  ▀▄ ██▌  ▀▄
    ▀  ▄  ▐██
    ▄
   ▐██      ▄
     ▀
   ▄███▌ ▄▄   ▀
  ▄▄
▄▄ ▄█████▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
P L A Y   S L O T S   o n     
CRYPTO'S FASTEST
GROWING CASINO
★ ‎‎
‎ ★
UP
TO
15%CASH BACK
EVERY SPIN

‎ ★
       ▄▄██████▄▄▄
      ██▄▄▀▀█▀▀
     ████▄▀▀▄██▀
     ▄▀▀▄▄▄██▀
    ▀  ▀▀▀▀▀
             ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄███▄▄▄████▄  ▄▄▀
        ▄████████▀▀▀█▄▀▀
     ▄███▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀█████
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
▀▀██▀▀▀▄▀███████▄▀████
   ▀▀██████████████▀
       ▀▀▀███████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
BARR_Official

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2016, 10:03:52 PM

People protested looms instead of hand-woven fabrics.

People protested printing presses that replaced human labor.

People protested electric streetlamps that put all lamplighters out of their jobs.

People protested computers, and every other advancement in technology.

People protest Bitcoin for the ways it can put bankers out of their jobs.

But every time, progress results in more of everything for everyone.  

When an industry becomes more efficient, people don't have to spend as much on that industry's products.  Therefore they have extra money.  Then they take that money and spend it in another industry.  Then that industry will need more employees, and the people who lost their jobs in the old industry can get jobs in the new industry.  And their lives will be better and the things they buy will be cheaper, and the work they do will be easier.

Buying At Retail and Restaurants - BarrCryptocurrency.com
JesusHadAegis

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 10:34:13 PM

Come on this is not new, there were other infrastructure machines in the 20th century that replaced humans. And i think people are protesting because mcdonalds offer jobs to those who haven't had an educational background. So we gotta understand them for trying to have there job.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 01:37:10 AM

Soon Your Domino’s Pizza Will Be Delivered By Robots

Domino’s has announced they’re trialing a new way to deliver pizza to people’s doors in New Zealand: a cute little pizza delivering robot called DRU (a Domino Robotic Unit).

Domino’s says DRU can do all the stuff a human pizza driver can (apart from offer comfort if you open the door sobbing). It can follow a map, navigate streets and roads, and avoid any obstacles.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/19/soon-your-dominos-pizza-will-be-delivered-by-robots-5761592/

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 02:55:07 AM

Soon Your Domino’s Pizza Will Be Delivered By Robots

[cente][im]https://i.sli.mg/7vBjoR.jpg[/img][/center]

Domino’s has announced they’re trialing a new way to deliver pizza to people’s doors in New Zealand: a cute little pizza delivering robot called DRU (a Domino Robotic Unit).

Domino’s says DRU can do all the stuff a human pizza driver can (apart from offer comfort if you open the door sobbing). It can follow a map, navigate streets and roads, and avoid any obstacles.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/19/soon-your-dominos-pizza-will-be-delivered-by-robots-5761592/

American tradition is to offer the delivery person a bong hit.  At least here on the Left coast.  In my experience, few refused.  Don't try this with the robot or you are likely to be reported to the authorities.

I wonder how long it will be before these delivery robots are offering to take care of your monthly mandatory vaccinations along with the complementary packets of crushed red peppers and parmesan cheese.

bitbunnny
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1068

WOLF.BET - Provably Fair Crypto Casino

View Profile
March 21, 2016, 07:18:02 AM

In what a funny society we live in! Soon everything wil be robotised and where will the humans go? I don't like this scenario.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: