Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:34:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Going after Trendon Shavers, Pirateat40, BTCST  (Read 48467 times)
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:46:25 AM

I think for some people the mathematics of Ponzi are just too counterintuitive so that they are not immediately obvious, even if they are able to understand the maths. They let their feelings of confidence and trust override their rational capabilities. It might be that if it seems hard to understand why some people think that something is definitely, without a doubt a ponzi, you need to think it through from a hypothetical scammer's perspective. It's actually very easy to run a ponzi scam (the hard thing is determining when to run with the money). The only thing that is needed is the tendency to let feelings override rationality. Many people who OUGHT TO HAVE KNOWN BETTER have been scammed. Being (susceptible for being) scammed is not the same as being stupid. No amount of intellect can save you if you let your feelings override it.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:59:37 AM

I think for some people the mathematics of Ponzi are just too counterintuitive so that they are not immediately obvious, even if they are able to understand the maths. They let their feelings of confidence and trust override their rational capabilities.

Greed? Or, to put it more politely, the intense wish to get rich quick.

It might be that if it seems hard to understand why some people think that something is definitely, without a doubt a ponzi, you need to think it through from a hypothetical scammer's perspective. It's actually very easy to run a ponzi scam (the hard thing is determining when to run with the money). The only thing that is needed is the tendency to let feelings override rationality. Many people who OUGHT TO HAVE KNOWN BETTER have been scammed. Being (susceptible for being) scammed is not the same as being stupid. No amount of intellect can save you if you let your feelings override it.

Very true. But the intensity of the rationalizations kept surprising me. (I don't tend to get emotional when dealing with money.)

Look at this discussion here. Even now, when we know for sure that the pirate ran a Ponzi scheme, somebody is arguing in the direction that it might not have been a Ponzi scheme. Seems rather ridiculous to me, but that is how our buggy brains sometimes work.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 09:06:23 AM

we know for sure that the pirate ran a Ponzi scheme

I guess people who 'know things for sure' must be much smarter than me.

I honestly can't think of a single thing in this entire world that I know for sure.

Permanently agnostic across all areas it seems.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:06:45 AM

I honestly can't think of a single thing in this entire world that I know for sure.

Well then you know the fact that you don't know anything for sure.  Or are you unsure of that also?   Wink

Cyberdyne

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:19:47 AM

Well then you know the fact that you don't know anything for sure.  Or are you unsure of that also?   Wink

Of course; Knowing that would be a paradox. Like saying "This statement is false". So in that sense you are indeed correct, that it is also something I'm unsure of.
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 04:31:36 PM

You must have really enjoyed your Freshman survey class "Western Philosophy from Socrates to Descartes"

"Permanently" you say ....?
donut

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:43:04 PM

You have to look at how native speakers actually use the word. Really.

According to you, "literally" is literally the same as "figuratively", then.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 04:52:46 PM

Off Fucking Topic Guys.

Goat, Just lock this fucking thread.

Christ.