Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:14:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Stratum mining protocol - ASIC ready  (Read 145751 times)
Bitsilver.us

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 02:18:10 PM

User defined Stratum diff is already available. So I don't see the rush to implement it into a miner.

I do see reasons to implement a difficulty setting in the miner and hope this bounces up the list of priorities for BFGMiner.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 05:26:30 PM

I do see reasons to implement a difficulty setting in the miner

What are those reasons?

How would it work? Would it be a suggestion that the server can take under advisement and choose to ignore?

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
slush (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 05:44:24 PM

Would it be a suggestion that the server can take under advisement and choose to ignore?

I suggested this already, but there was almost no response by miner developers (cgminer). In oposite to mining.resume, mining.suggest is trivial to implement on pool side or it can be ignored if pool doesn't understand it.

jddebug

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 06:13:06 PM

I do see reasons to implement a difficulty setting in the miner

What are those reasons?

I had brought it up with Luke Jr. because I am mining at Eligius Diff 64 and I was having network problems. I'd be dropping to backup pool Diff 1 and then slowly climb to 64 with massive bandwidth usage in the meantime and then a while later I'd be back at Eligius at Diff 1 again with massive bandwidth usage while it made its way back to Diff 64 again. Back and forth with 168GH I was seeing the drawback to having to wait for the pool to figure out my Difficulty and I asked Luke Jr. if I could just set it myself.

Luke Jr. explained thats not possible with Stratum at this time. I have 10TH on order. If I had that hashrate at this time and I was dropping to and from backup pools it  appears I would have a major problem and it would appear the pool would too.

Am I mistaken?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 06:28:56 PM

Would it be a suggestion that the server can take under advisement and choose to ignore?

I suggested this already, but there was almost no response by miner developers (cgminer). In oposite to mining.resume, mining.suggest is trivial to implement on pool side or it can be ignored if pool doesn't understand it.

Just tell me what to do and I'd implement it, bugs and all.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 07:14:17 PM

Basically the idea is that miner remember the last difficulty given by the previous mining session and it sends mining.suggest_difficulty(difficulty) on the beginning of the next session (it may be sent before mining.subscribe or mining.resume, but it should not be a requirement). The response to the call is irrelevant for the miner, but if the pool accept the suggestion in any way, it will send standard mining.set_difficulty with new computed difficulty.

Obviously the difficulty can differ from pool to pool while switching between backup pools, because every pool can have different SPM target . The main goal is to give at least some approximation for the newly connected pool, so it won't start with difficulty 1 for 10 THash/s monster rig...

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:27:49 PM

Is it OK for a pool to remember a minimum diff per worker and when the worker reconnects set their diff to the remembered value?

The chain of events would be something like:

- mining.subscribe (default diff of the pool is given)
- mining.authorize (this is where the worker would be known and a remembered diff could be determined.)
- if remembered worker diff higher than default send mining.set_difficulty

Thoughts?
slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 08:40:53 PM

Thoughts?

This is one of possible solutions. Unfortunately many users use one worker accross all miners, because they were lazy to set up unique worker per miner...

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:45:42 PM

Thoughts?

This is one of possible solutions. Unfortunately many users use one worker accross all miners, because they were lazy to set up unique worker per miner...

Does the break any of the current rules for stratum?
slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 08:49:12 PM

No, except that slow devices using the same worker name as fast ones will have huge difficulty and it will take some time to settle on natural level.

jddebug

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:01:32 PM

No, except that slow devices using the same worker name as fast ones will have huge difficulty and it will take some time to settle on natural level.

I use one worker at ozcoin and it sets each rig to a unique difficulty somehow.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:04:53 PM

Is it OK for a pool to remember a minimum diff per worker and when the worker reconnects set their diff to the remembered value?

The chain of events would be something like:

- mining.subscribe (default diff of the pool is given)
- mining.authorize (this is where the worker would be known and a remembered diff could be determined.)
- if remembered worker diff higher than default send mining.set_difficulty

Thoughts?

That is certainly one way a pool can handle it, and one way I've been considering for BTC Guild.  However, I think simple minimum difficulty settings available through the frontend solve problems for large workers.  And at least with my implementation, the pool will adjust very high speed workers to an appropriate difficulty before bandwidth becomes an issue.  They'll see a spike at the very start, but with aggressive difficulty adjustments you can prevent it from being enough to saturate even on a very slow connection (3g/dial-up).

I use one worker at ozcoin and it sets each rig to a unique difficulty somehow.

Stratum by definition is per-connection difficulty.  gigavps's suggestion would only affect pools which try to remember/re-instate difficulty on a after worker authorization.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 09:12:42 PM

However, I think simple minimum difficulty settings available through the frontend solve problems for large workers.  And at least with my implementation, the pool will adjust very high speed workers to an appropriate difficulty before bandwidth becomes an issue.  They'll see a spike at the very start, but with aggressive difficulty adjustments you can prevent it from being enough to saturate even on a very slow connection (3g/dial-up).

I agree that this will work, too, but it requires that user knows what's the appropriate difficulty for his miners. For the most users difficulty is simply abstract number.

In the end, pools will use some mixed solutions like
a) suggestion provided by mining software
b) minimum difficulty set by the user on pool profile
c) using higher default difficulty for unknown connections (will affect slow miners until the difficulty settle down, but it will help fast miners during startup).

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 12:17:19 AM

Basically the idea is that miner remember the last difficulty given by the previous mining session and it sends mining.suggest_difficulty(difficulty) on the beginning of the next session (it may be sent before mining.subscribe or mining.resume, but it should not be a requirement). The response to the call is irrelevant for the miner, but if the pool accept the suggestion in any way, it will send standard mining.set_difficulty with new computed difficulty.

Obviously the difficulty can differ from pool to pool while switching between backup pools, because every pool can have different SPM target . The main goal is to give at least some approximation for the newly connected pool, so it won't start with difficulty 1 for 10 THash/s monster rig...
Ok, I can easily implement this.

Moving back to the resume support, since mining.resume breaks your proxy when implemented pool-side with the current format, and there will be lots of miners still using your proxy and this makes the pools not interested in supporting the feature, can I suggest a modification to a use of the mining.subscribe response?

SEND: {"id": 0, "method": "mining.subscribe", "params": []}
RECV: {"error": null, "id": 0, "result": [["mining.notify", "ae6812eb4cd7735a302a8a9dd95cf71f"], "f8019658", 4]}

Is it possible to use the existing unique subscription ID as the session ID with mining.resume instead? I know some pools use this for different reasons, so I'm not sure if that's possible, but just a suggestion. Alternatively, can you put the session ID somewhere else in the JSON response that does NOT break your proxy? While I have committed the changes to cgminer git with the existing format, there are no users currently depending on that format so we can and should change it.

-ck
slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 12:54:38 AM

The first parameter is the rest of original Stratum idea; to be universal overlay protocol with some extended publish/subscribe features. To be honest, there's still no real use for initial meaning of the first parameter and the whole idea seems to be a bit overcomplicated.

So I'm offering to change meaning of the first parameter, let's call it session_id :-). I checked all known implementations (stratum proxy, poclbm, cgminer/bfgminer) and all three seems to completely ignore the first parameter. Using first argument as session_id seems to be fully backward compatible.

Any ideas?

slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 12:58:05 AM

...and I'll also fix proxy to ignore any unknown parameters in subscribe notification. It wasn't intentional, I'm sorry for such kind of issue :-/.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 01:29:19 AM

The first parameter is the rest of original Stratum idea; to be universal overlay protocol with some extended publish/subscribe features. To be honest, there's still no real use for initial meaning of the first parameter and the whole idea seems to be a bit overcomplicated.

So I'm offering to change meaning of the first parameter, let's call it session_id :-). I checked all known implementations (stratum proxy, poclbm, cgminer/bfgminer) and all three seems to completely ignore the first parameter. Using first argument as session_id seems to be fully backward compatible.

Any ideas?
Well of course I like that (since I suggested it) but the only disadvantage I see is the pool really does not have a flag now in its parameters to tell the mining software whether it supports resume or not, so the only way to find out is if cgminer tries the command first. That's ok too, but the issue there is what the pool does in response to a command it does not recognise: some will drop the connection, and I'm not sure what others do. I need some comments from the pool ops please?

-ck
slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 01:34:40 AM

Well of course I like that (since I suggested it) but the only disadvantage I see is the pool really does not have a flag now in its parameters to tell the mining software whether it supports resume or not, so the only way to find out is if cgminer tries the command first. That's ok too, but the issue there is what the pool does in response to a command it does not recognise: some will drop the connection, and I'm not sure what others do. I need some comments from the pool ops please?

Pool should not close the connection on unknown message. Like this:

Code:
{"id": 1, "method": "mining.resume", "params": []}
{"error": [-3, "Method 'resume' not found for service 'mining'", null], "id": 1, "result": null}

Server should close connection only when the payload is corrupted (thus there's no way to identify messages and respond with standard error).

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 01:38:37 AM

Pool should not close the connection on unknown message. Like this:

Code:
{"id": 1, "method": "mining.resume", "params": []}
{"error": [-3, "Method 'resume' not found for service 'mining'", null], "id": 1, "result": null}

Server should close connection only when the payload is corrupted (thus there's no way to identify messages and respond with standard error).
Thanks. However what if it's the first command after the socket is opened?

-ck
slush (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 01:41:09 AM

Thanks. However what if it's the first command after the socket is opened?

Why there should be any exception for first message?

If the miner knows any recent session id, it should send mining.resume(id) firstly. If miner don't have any session id, it should send mining.subscribe(). When the pool doesn't understand mining.resume message, it should respond with standard error, not by closing the connection.

Is there really any pool which closes the connection on unknown message?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: