Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:50:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Monero replace Bitcoin soon?  (Read 33658 times)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2016, 02:36:47 AM

words

(P.S. Gold does not have privacy or obscurity "built in". Any privacy that gold holders enjoy is extrinsic not intrinsic and the fact that a vault "hides" the gold does not make the vault any more valuable  Wink )

If I go and give my gold to my friend Bob, I don't broadcast the fact to the entire world.

But to your larger point, I think we indeed have again circled around to "agree to disagree".

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vigZ

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 03:25:59 AM

Monero will not "take over" Bitcoin, but there is no reason there can't be multiple cryptocurrencies that are all used for separate situations. Monero for regular purchases, Bitcoin for a store of value similar to gold, Huh for Huh etc. This is how it will likely be in the future. There is no one cryptocurrency that will "take over".
TraderETH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 03:32:47 AM

Monero will not "take over" Bitcoin, but there is no reason there can't be multiple cryptocurrencies that are all used for separate situations. Monero for regular purchases, Bitcoin for a store of value similar to gold, Huh for Huh etc. This is how it will likely be in the future. There is no one cryptocurrency that will "take over".
For today monero will not take over bitcoin, i agree, but if developer of monero keeps be updating and there are many people who support for monero include companies. I think it can be take over bitcoin although it will be hard and need long time.
vigZ

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 03:37:55 AM

For today monero will not take over bitcoin, i agree, but if developer of monero keeps be updating and there are many people who support for monero include companies. I think it can be take over bitcoin although it will be hard and need long time.

It is better if multiple communities can coordinate and work together. Monero is the most anon coin, once RingCT releases in january it will be light years ahead of other coins, and Bitcoin is the most widely used cryptocurrency right now, but isn't anonymous and that is ok. The better we can all get along the better it is for everyone. We all know how important cryptocurrencies are in the world and the impact they will have. Some coins will have different uses and better usecases for different things, Bitcoin may not be the best thing for purchases compared to Monero for privacy. Each coin has its specific value so use it right ? Wink
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 05:47:34 AM

It matters because (in an unbacked monetary system) there needs to be consensus between the participating parties that  the blockchain state was altered and the nature of that alteration. For there to be consensus, that state change needs to be reported consistently to all concerned. Doesn't matter if it's "balances" or transaction ID's or what.
Wtf... This is exactly what monero does. Just because an outside observer can not know the balance of a given address or which address has interacted with which doesn't mean it lacks "consensus on the blockchain state was altered and the nature of that alteration." It wouldnt even work if it didn't accomplish this.

We all need to be looking at exactly the same information
Ok well everyone does look at the same information but I suppose not everyone has access to the same data.

and have access to the same data, even though altering it may be a privileged action.
For certain applications maybe. For other applications that is terribly undesirable. Do you think someone on the dark net wants everyone to be looking at their data? What about a corporation that needs to keep its information private from competitors.

The idea that such a trivially simple but commonly performed act of summing all the transaction outputs for a given random address should be limited to only 1 individual in the entire world who happens to have a private key to that address is ludicrous.
And thats not how monero works... It is limited to anyone who holds the private key or the view key. That could in theory be everyone in the world or only one person or a group of the private key holders choosing.

Not only that, the amount of work and programming involved in actually hiding this information is phenomenal because you're basically having to UNDO (conceptually at least) all the work that has already been done by the public-private key encryption that makes "the wonder" of a transparent blockchain possible in the first place.
This is false. The computational overhead is relatively negligible.

Look at what Cryptonote projects are doing. While everyone else is getting on with tooling up commercial interfaces, Android wallets, iPhone wallets, API's commercial gateways and diverse gateways, Cryptonote has it all to do on the blockchain protocol. And for what ? To make a blockchain thats less transparent, less auditable, more open to confidence scams and far higher maintenance than bitcoin ?
For privacy. Privacy is valuable to a lot of people. And it doesn't have far higher maintenance. It has marginally higher maintenance.

You are extremely uninformed. Which is fine. I'm uninformed about roughly infinity more things than I'm informed about. That's the nature of life. But I don't go around spouting nonsense about the things which I am not informed about. You seem to understand bitcoin well enough but you should study monero more before you attempt to argue their relative merits.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Mzie

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 06:19:35 AM

anything is possible with these coins
DashTron

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 06:50:27 AM

It is better if multiple communities can coordinate and work together. Monero is the most anon coin, once RingCT releases in january it will be light years ahead of other coins, and Bitcoin is the most widely used cryptocurrency right now, but isn't anonymous and that is ok. The better we can all get along the better it is for everyone. We all know how important cryptocurrencies are in the world and the impact they will have. Some coins will have different uses and better usecases for different things, Bitcoin may not be the best thing for purchases compared to Monero for privacy. Each coin has its specific value so use it right ? Wink

I think bitcoin is the payment system. It's established and people use it.
No matter what advantages an altcoin could bring, as long as people don't use it for payment, its only worth is for traders.
And people don't use altcoins for payment because there is bitcoin...
My point is, as long as nothing goes dramatically wrong with bitcoin, no other coin will stand a chance to be stablished on the market.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 09:05:48 AM

All transactional system's states are derived from the "list of transactions" and All transactional systems support enough transparency to generate a variety of consolidations, control totals and 'state variables' with which to verify agreement between various input and output sources.

This is simply not true.  All transactional systems (= monetary systems) are SUPPOSED TO DERIVE from a list of transactions, but not all of them have as atomic data, the transaction list. In fact, ONLY crypto has this.  It is what sets crypto apart from other monetary systems.  ALL other monetary systems I know off, are "state" based ; crypto is "transaction based".

Gold is state-based: you HOLD the gold or not.  You have a balance of gold.  There is no memory of the gold transactions as "fundamental atomic data".  There is the "balance state" as fundamental atomic data: how much gold do you own ?

Now, with gold, one counts on the laws of physics to certify that this balance state is DERIVED from transactions: that you cannot "double spend" gold, and that the only way to "create" gold possession, is to dig it up, make it by nuclear transformation, to get it from space or to have it made from lead through the Stone of Wisdom, all of these ways to "create gold balance" being accepted as legit.

Very similar with cash.  The fundamental data of the cash system is "who holds what cash ?".  Again, one counts on the laws of physics that the state of cash holdings is derived from transactions, and that the origin of the cash is legit (printed by the FED), done by checking the bill physically, and counting on the fact that counterfeiting is severely punished, so that not many people do so and get away with it.

With bank accounts, again, the fundamental state is the holdings of the bank accounts.  However, this time, there is no a priori guarantee that the state of bank accounts is derived from transactions or legit creation, as the contents of computer memory in bank computers has no intrinsic method of being derived from transactions.   The software that is supposed to do so, can always be modified to do otherwise, and there's no way to make sure.  THIS is why accountants are necessary, to check this.

What is checked, is whether the "state of bank accounts" is derived from a possible set of legit transactions.

With crypto, this is meaningless.  The fundamental data IS already the list of valid transactions.  The state is only derived from that, locally, and without any authority.  The only thing that has authority is the list of transactions.  So there's NO POINT IN PROVING that the balances are derived from a list of transactions, because that's what you do when you calculate the balances.

If I have access to a wallet application that reports to me I have a "valid transaction" and simultaneously have access to, say, a block explorer somewhere in random cloudland that is tallying all the outputs for a given address they may agree or disagree.

That's silly.  If you and that block explorer in cloudland differ, then there are only 3 possibilities:

1) you and that block explorer are looking at DIFFERENT BLOCK CHAINS, at different lists of transactions

2) your wallet application is buggy

3) that block explorer is buggy

If your wallet and your block explorer are working correctly, and are looking at the same block chain then of course they find the same balances.

This is as ridiculous as saying that "if I have a common list of numbers, which is shared by a cloud server, then in order to check the validity of that list, I make the sum of those numbers locally, and I ask that cloud server to make that sum.  If the numbers agree, then the list of numbers is good.

Of course not.  IF you share an identical list of numbers with a cloud server, and both of you make the sum, then of course both of you will find the same number.   If not, the lists weren't identical, or one of both summing operations was buggy.  Nothing else.

In other words my wallet may report that I have a valid transaction and the balance may or may not have moved. Assuming the blockchain is working as advertised, that tells me that either I've got a dodgy wallet or a dodgy block explorer.

Indeed.  And that doesn't matter, in fact.  What counts, and the ONLY thing that counts, is that your valid transaction is on the block chain.  What your wallet may think, what the block explorer may think, and whatever erroneous calculations you may do doesn't matter: the right thing happened on the block chain, and everybody using correct software will be in agreement with the transaction as you intended it.  No double spending will be happening, no false creation of coins will have happened - whatever your faulty software may tell you.

Simply saying to users "ok, you've got a valid transaction, now f*ck off" is not enough. A system with such limited audibility is unlikely to engender the public consensus and resistance to huge confidence knocks thats required to get through what bitcoin had to go through in its first decade because it doesn't only have to support it's own integrity but also that of a host of client technology of a vast range of quality and origin.

As the only data that matter, are the block chain transactions, you using faulty software to misunderstand those data has nothing to do with audibility.  You seeing that web sites use faulty software doesn't matter.  In the end, the block chain is what counts and nothing else.  With balance checks you cannot check the block chain because there are no balances on the block chain, you can only DERIVE balances FROM the block chain.

However, you CAN check the validity of transactions.  That's what nodes and miners do.  If ever non-valid transactions are included in the block chain, in any case the whole thing failed and the crypto is dead.  So the only thing that matters is that the transactions are valid.  In as much as the principles of the checking are correct (whether the bitcoin way, or the cryptographic monero way), then that's all that is needed.  And if the *principles* are faulty, then the whole coin is dead in any case.

So in the end, the mathematical principles are sound, or they aren't sound.  If they aren't sound, then the whole thing is dead.  If they are sound, then you can check them, and that is the ONLY necessary and sufficient check that there is to it.

If I build a brick wall and and counted the number of levels as I went along, I should also be able to measure the wall height and divide by the brick thickness as an alternative to check on my previous result. The number of levels remains the same in both cases, it's just my measure of it I'm checking.

Ah, I guess you regularly check Pythagoras' theorem too ?

(P.S. Gold does not have privacy or obscurity "built in". Any privacy that gold holders enjoy is extrinsic not intrinsic and the fact that a vault "hides" the gold does not make the vault any more valuable  Wink )

Of course gold has privacy and obscurity build in.  There's no way for you to check the world's gold balances.  You only know how much gold YOU own.  There is even no transaction history anywhere.  Nowhere there is a centralized ledger with the balances of gold ; let alone a ledger of all gold transactions.  The ONLY thing that you can do with the "gold system" is to look how much you own.  You don't know how much gold your neighbour has, how much Putin is holding, how much gold Bill Clinton holds, and there's no way for you to make any "balance check" to see whether the amount of "spend gold" and the amount of "received gold" are in agreement.  What you are complaining about with monero, you cannot do it with gold.  You know that the balances check because of the laws of physics.  You know that the balances check in monero, because of cryptographic properties.

That has never undermined people's trust in the value of gold.

charles99

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 09:17:35 AM

I'm betting on it also.
dinofelis

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 09:21:23 AM

... zip...

It now occurs to me that we may be totally talking next to one another.  Maybe the only thing you want is to check whether your wallet software is deriving the right balances from the block chain, and that you are simply afraid of a bug in your wallet not showing you what it should ?

And that you say: "if I could check that number against some public display of it, at least I would know that my wallet is not buggy ?".

I was thinking that you were fighting the principle of an obscured block chain an sich, but maybe your problem is much more down to earth, and you want to double-check what your wallet is showing you ?

Well, that's pretty simple.  Use two different wallet software systems, on two different computers ; say a linux machine and an apple computer.  That's after all, exactly what you do with the web interface: the web server uses another wallet software (if it uses *the same* software, your check is not a check of course) on another computer.

Note that if there were a fundamental bug in the display of balances in bitcoin core, and web servers are based also on bitcoin core, then they would make exactly the same errors.  This has nothing to do with "obscured or open block chains".  This is software double checking.

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 01:13:08 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2016, 01:58:24 PM by toknormal

I was thinking that you were fighting the principle of an obscured block chain an sich, but maybe your problem is much more down to earth, and you want to double-check what your wallet is showing you ?

No. Thats not what "I'm wanting to check" but I think you already know it  Grin

P.S. I don't know if you realise you've spent this entire thread trying to convince me of how useless the ability to perform control balances is when a system is transaction based and yet this coin's entire value proposition is based on the exclusive right to do just that.

Funny that  Wink
Sukovsky

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 03:18:26 PM

It was a nice new paradigm pump.
NewInCryptoCurrency

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 05:39:54 PM

No this is never gonna happen, I do not see this happen and I think that this honestly will not happen at all.
The small is just very small if you are asking me.
th3nolo

Activity: 1232
Merit: 669

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 05:50:01 PM

No, is very hard this thing happen but maybe Monero can bump his price again. so I will keep an eye on this coin.

but i'm surely monero can't take over bitcoin.

▄██▄
   ▄██▄      ▀█▀▀     ▄██▄
   ▀██▀▄  ▄▄█████▄▄  ▐███▀
       ███████████████
      ████████▀▄▄▄▀████
 ▄▄  ▐███▀▄▀██▄▀▀▀▄█████  ▄▄
████▀█████▄███▀▀█████ ██▀████
 ▀▀  ▐███▄███ ██ ████ █▌  ▀▀
      ▀████▄██▄▄███▀▄█▀
    ▄▄ █▀██████▀▄▄▄█▀█ ▄▄
   ████▀   ▀▀▀█▀▀▀   ▐████
    ▀▀       ▄██▄      ▀▀
             ▀██▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩             ▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █▄
 █           ▀▀▀  █
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▄
█ ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀█ █
█ █ █       █    █ ▄
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄    █ █
█ █ ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄ █ █
█ █ █   █  ██  █ █ █
█ █ ▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀ █ █
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
⟩ ⟩ ⟩       ▄████▄  ▄████▄
      ████████████████
      ████████████████
       ██████████████
        ▀██████████▀
██        ▀██████▀        ██
██▌   ▄            ▄   ▐██
███  ███▄          ▄███  ███
▀███▄ ▀███▄      ▄███▀ ▄███▀
  ▀████████      ████████▀
     ▀████▀      ▀████▀
     ▄   ▄▄      ▄▄   ▄
     ▀█████      █████▀
0day

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Hire me for your campaign management.

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 10:35:50 PM

No, is very hard this thing happen but maybe Monero can bump his price again. so I will keep an eye on this coin.

but i'm surely monero can't take over bitcoin.

Monero may bump its price but still we cannot say that it will replace bitcoin as a coin success do not rely on its value but the opportunity with it and its usage as currency. we can see that bitcoin is widely used as a currency all over the world while monero is just an asset for trade currently.

Hire me for your campaign management
dinofelis

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 04:02:33 AM

P.S. I don't know if you realise you've spent this entire thread trying to convince me of how useless the ability to perform control balances is when a system is transaction based and yet this coin's entire value proposition is based on the exclusive right to do just that.

Ok, then, there was no misunderstanding on my part, and you *really* are totally confused about these issues.

The "value proposition" of a crypto currency is absolutely NOT that one can check a mathematical triviality on a derived quantity (namely balances), not more so than the value proposition of a ruler is NOT that one can check Pythagoras' theorem with it.

The only thing that needs to be checked for real in a crypto, is the validity of the transaction.  That criterium of validity contains amongst others, that at the same time that new spending rights are granted (the outputs), old spending rights of the same amount are destroyed ; OR new spending rights are created on the basis of an accepted, legit way of coin creation.

We are talking *inside* the transaction here for checking the balance.  On the outside of the transaction, one has to check that the spent spending rights were not double spent on the whole chain.

And this can only be checked once, there is no double check possible.  As well in bitcoin as in monero.  In bitcoin, you make the sum of the inputs by looking up the corresponding outputs and you check it with the sum of the newly created unspend outputs.  You can only do this once ; there is NO OTHER WAY to check this sum.  Even if you make the balance of all "unspend outputs", you are mathematically doing exactly the same.

If you want to check that A + B = C + D, you can check it directly (inside the transaction), or you can check that:

X + Y + Z + A + B = X + Y + Z + C + D when doing your "balance check".  But in the end, you've been using the same data to do that check, so it is not an independent check.

In bitcoin it is checked "naively and explicitly", in monero, it is checked with cryptographic signatures.  The sum is checked (in actual monero, that sum itself is explicitly checked, in CT, it will also be through a cryptographic signature).  And the "no double spend" is checked: in bitcoin, by looking explicitly whether that input occurs somewhere in another transaction, in monero, whether the unique signature has already been used in another transaction.

At no point, you can independently double check this ; if you do so, you are just checking *a theorem*.

In bitcoin, at no point, there is a way to "double check" that either.

If you are given a transaction, and if you check "the sum of all bitcoin before", and the "sum of all bitcoin after" OR you check the balance within the transaction, that is THE SAME OPERATION.

You've only done A+B = C+D versus  X+Y+Z+A+B = X+Y+Z+C+D

It is a mathematical property that both are equivalent.  So you don't check anything "more".  There is simply no way to have a "right" transaction, and have your check not work out, and in your checking, you USE the same numbers, from the same data.  If there is a transaction (spending 5 and spending 6 to output 11), when you check the transaction and you see that 5 + 6 = 11, that's all you can check.  If you do the check of all bitcoin balances, in the end, you will apply a -5 and a -6 to some balances (from the same data, of the same transaction), and you will add 11 somewhere, and Lo and Behold !  It will come out the same.  EVEN if there's a double spend somewhere, I may add.

You haven't checked anything more than by just looking at 5 + 6 = 11.  That 5, that 6 and that 11 come from the same piece of data.

The point is that mathematics works.  The point is that *the same check* of the validity is done by hundreds or thousands of independent nodes. *that* is the real double check.  There is no mistake in the mathematics.  There is no need (and no possibility) for an "independent check", nor in bitcoin, nor in monero.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 05:29:37 AM

I think toknormal is a troll. A subtle and uncharacteristically sophisticated troll. But a troll none the less.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
dinofelis

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 07:08:14 AM

I think toknormal is a troll. A subtle and uncharacteristically sophisticated troll. But a troll none the less.

You mean, don't feed him ?  Undecided
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 07:31:48 AM

That's not possible unless more markets come up and start accepting it...
But there is just one reason that could possibly be a favorable one for the statement that says that Monero could replace Bitcoin, and that's its anonymity, the actual anonymity and non-traceability for which everyone had been looking...

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 11:53:16 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2016, 12:23:30 AM by toknormal

The only thing that needs to be checked for real in a crypto, is the validity of the transaction.

In theory, thats correct. Because everything else stems from the validity of the transaction.

In reality, you're not interacting with theory. You're interacting with some random technology that was built by humans with a claim to implement it. You therefore need a large number of reference metrics from all over the place to support public confidence that a particular technology "works".

People make up their own minds what's important to them in that respect. If they want to control-total the outputs for a particular blockchain address and that has meaningful significance in the context of their audit then censor that information at your peril if you want your unbacked blockchain to be worth anything.

All this is well known in every walk of industry. I don't need to defend it. Pilots stick their finger in the wing tanks to measure how many hours endurance they've got, even though the fuel pump told them already and the guage told them already.

You are trying to argue that a blockchain has some kind of 'perfection' at it's heart that's a hotlne to god. It isn't. It's no different from an aircraft refuelling pump, a fuel gauge or a mechanical cash register. All you have is a file on your local hard disk that you have no clue about and a .exe application that claims to parse it that you have even less clue about.

A crypto currency economy is made up of a myriad of failure intolerant technologies that are no more reliable than the weakest link in their chain and, contrary to what you're attempting to convince everyone of here, people who use blockchains do spend a hell of a lot of time inspecting balances - regardless of whether they hold a private key to the address concerned or not. A valid check on the total amount I've sent is the total number of valid transactions I've made. An equally valid cross check on that is the movement in a control balance that includes transactions that I HAVEN'T made and that is generated by an alternative reporting resource in that blockchain's ecosystem.

The cat's out of the bag. If you think that 7 years down the line, people will accept a blockchain that censors their ability to audit any and every address without recourse to a private key then you should think about a line in chocolate teapots as well - it might be even more successful  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: