Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:59:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC vs. Monero  (Read 4199 times)
KLONE

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 04:04:06 AM

I'm in the process of writing a research paper for my night school in regard to cryptocurrencies, their capacity to be an alternative to the fiat banking paradigm and the various pros and cons of anonymity and fungibility.

Creative Writing and Fiction were also one of my favorite classes in school.

Good luck!

~BCX~

Added: The fact that this is a blatant Monero spam thread wasn't missed. One of the better ones I might add.

Nothing wrong with a good infomercial. Just imagine what Tony Robins could do with XMR between 11pm and 1am on the TV.

Seriously, what newbie user of crypto is going to wade through hundreds of pages of old threads trying to find the good oil on all the alt coins available now? None, it's just too hard now so they all start from the latest posts and start trying to piece stuff together. There's just too many coins now to track, so these 'infomercial' threads are actually very useful.

Keep up the good work monerians Smiley
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 05:22:13 AM

I'm in the process of writing a research paper for my night school in regard to cryptocurrencies, their capacity to be an alternative to the fiat banking paradigm and the various pros and cons of anonymity and fungibility.

Good luck!

~BCX~

Added: The fact that this is a blatant Monero spam thread wasn't missed. One of the better ones I might add.

Nothing wrong with a good infomercial. Just imagine what Tony Robins could do with XMR between 11pm and 1am on the TV.

Seriously, what newbie user of crypto is going to wade through hundreds of pages of old threads trying to find the good oil on all the alt coins available now? None, it's just too hard now so they all start from the latest posts and start trying to piece stuff together. There's just too many coins now to track, so these 'infomercial' threads are actually very useful.

Keep up the good work monerians Smiley

Just one problem.

Mprep tends to trashcan Infomercial threads.

~BCX~
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:01:52 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2015, 10:37:16 AM by rangedriver

Good luck!

~BCX~

A peculiar position to adopt.

Debating BTC against Monero is a valid argument which is neither an announcement nor speculation, thus is fair game for its own thread. I don't see how its any different from the smaller "LTC vs. DASH" thread that has since come into being, and no doubt in time there will probably be a "DOGE vs. XDN" conversation.

What's curious though is that you've chosen not to acknowledge that the majority of monero spam originated/originates from forces hostile to Monero - nefarious actors that appear at first glance to be pro-Monero, but who in reality have other intentions. In fact, it looks as though you're actively contributing to that illusion.

Why's that?

acdc

Activity: 939
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:15:33 AM

Good luck!

~BCX~

Debating BTC against Monero is a valid argument which is neither an announcement nor speculation, thus is fair game for its own thread. I don't see how its any different from the smaller "LTC vs. DASH" thread that has since come into being, and no doubt in time there will probably be a "DOGE vs. XDN" conversation.

What's curious though is that you've chosen not to acknowledge that the majority of monero spam originated/originates from forces hostile to Monero - nefarious actors that appear at first glance to be pro-Monero, but who in reality have other intentions. In fact, it looks as though you're actively contributing to that illusion.

Why's that?

easy up there cowboy, don't you know that BitcoinEXpress is a confirmed  'coin killer'?

but I agree with you. these monero threads are basically like crypto blow-jobs now, pretty much the same every time, but who's ever gonna knock one back hey!

XMR is still the best game in town , so it gets all the love/hate

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 05:08:40 PM

Quote from: acdc
like crypto blow-jobs now, pretty much the same every time, but who's ever gonna knock one back hey!

Just when you think you've heard it all.

That is the best nugget from a Monero thread I've seen in along time.

~BCX~

kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:30:58 PM

Quote from: acdc
like crypto blow-jobs now, pretty much the same every time, but who's ever gonna knock one back hey!

Just when you think you've heard it all.

That is the best nugget from a Monero thread I've seen in along time.

~BCX~

Your avatar remembers me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ofpaF5pkE8

How does it feel being part of XMR history ~forever~ ?
aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:35:46 PM

Cross-posting FYI (Monero and his official forum, some facts about the work they are doing):

No. The reality is that you have no community, no development, no markerting. It's not me saying, you can check it here:

Work in progress -> 3 threads

Funding Required -> 2 threads

You don't have any "Developers Thread" or "testing" area. Nothing. In Academic and technical you have only 9 threads!!!!

You are an absolute fraud. It's good that the real investors do some research, Monero is only a big hype.

Keep spamming, trolling and fudding hard the competition. That's the only you can do.

Please stay on topic; Where is your stuff? Development, testing, marketing, something?

You are telling me you have only your "we are superior" thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0

And the speculation thread here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.0

That's it? All the rest is fudding and spam?

My God.

Cheesy  Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Do not believe the Monero hype. Do your own research.

For more info please visit: http://forum.getmonero.org
kazuki49

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:42:18 PM

Believe the Bytecoin BCN hype instead!  Cheesy

I did my research, I'm not buying a coin that was 80% premined.

for more info please visit: https://bytecointalk.org/
aleix
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:46:48 PM

Believe the Bytecoin BCN hype instead! Cheesy

I did my research, I'm not buying a coin that was 80% premined.

for more info please visit: https://bytecointalk.org/

Sorry, but in Europe BCN means Barcelona. I am a member of the Bitcoin Community in my city, thats the reason of the twitter in my sig.

I do not know anything about bytecoin.

Do a better research next time  Wink
kazuki49

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:48:10 PM

Sorry, but in Europe BCN means Barcelona. I do not know anything about bytecoin.

Thats how retard you sound Smiley

Not buying into instamined DASH/Darkcoin scam neither.
aleix
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:50:35 PM

Sorry, but in Europe BCN means Barcelona. I do not know anything about bytecoin.

Great. You redneck please don't try to leave the US  Kiss
kazuki49

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:32:07 PM

Great. You redneck please don't try to leave the US  Kiss

don't feel sad what you are saying has some half-value, always research, but the way you are saying implies Monero has something to hide like *coff coff* a massive instamine and non-features like "Dash"/Darkcoin Cheesy that also tried to steal the name of another cryptonote coin.

25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 11:56:39 PM

Just listened to all of the Monero talk at the Bitcoin Conference. Was very impressed.

Good job fellas.

http://youtu.be/GEVm1dMn5Ks

How have I not seen this video?

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 03:16:25 AM

Just listened to all of the Monero talk at the Bitcoin Conference. Was very impressed.

Good job fellas.

http://youtu.be/GEVm1dMn5Ks

How have I not seen this video?

because all talk of Monero is relegated to our ANN thread and the speculation thread, and we post so much in there that its easy to miss the bigger posts, so people try to make other Monero threads because they think something cool is happening and then people think its spam and then here we are.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:24:58 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2015, 12:54:43 AM by BitcoinEXpress

Your avatar remembers me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ofpaF5pkE8

How does it feel being part of XMR history ~forever~ ?

I saw that within hours of it being posted.

About 20 people sent me the link in late March LOL

~BCX~
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 01:35:01 AM

The reverse is not true: with Bitcoin you are transparent and there is no choice to be made about it. The best you can do then is obfuscation (mixing etc), while Monero does it intrinsically.

This is a contradiction in terms. Better worded -

Monero and other crypotonote coins have some clever obfuscation tricks intrinsically built in.
Bitcoin allows the users to choose between full transparency or obfuscation techniques to get similar privacy as others (arguably) -coinjoin, coinshuffle, darkwallet, stealth addresses, mixers, ect...

This makes Bitcoin more versatile as many people may want full transparency(charity or nonprofit) and Crypto-note coins slightly more user friendly at achieving privacy(while darkwallet remains in alpha)

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 01:47:17 AM

The reverse is not true: with Bitcoin you are transparent and there is no choice to be made about it. The best you can do then is obfuscation (mixing etc), while Monero does it intrinsically.

This is a contradiction in terms. Better worded -

Monero and other crypotonote coins have some clever obfuscation tricks intrinsically built in.
Bitcoin allows the users to choose between full transparency or obfuscation techniques to get similar privacy as others (arguably) -coinjoin, coinshuffle, darkwallet, stealth addresses, mixers, ect...

This makes Bitcoin more versatile as many people may want full transparency(charity or nonprofit) and Crypto-note coins slightly more user friendly at achieving privacy(while darkwallet remains in alpha)

Unless I can choose to mine specific dark bitcoins then bitcoin's privacy solutions fall far short of what is needed.  

As proof of what I'm saying, consider that merely using Tor and a proxy is enough to get you investigated by the NSA.  'Nuff said.  

Privacy can't be a Powerglove 32x Addon device.  

It has to be built in and fundamental to the currency.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:07:02 AM

Unless I can choose to mine specific dark bitcoins then bitcoin's privacy solutions fall far short of what is needed.  

As proof of what I'm saying, consider that merely using Tor and a proxy is enough to get you investigated by the NSA.  'Nuff said.  

This is why I used the term "arguably" . In one sense I agree with you and also why many BTC wallets are starting to incorporate privacy features by default. I would suggest crypto-note offers slightly superior privacy to the steathaddress/coinjoin combo found within darkwallet but the algo is only part of the privacy solution. The amount of users and transaction volume is critically important within a crypto-currency ecosystem to provide a high level of privacy and all alts have extremely small userbases. The fact that a user is using a "privacy focused" coin could also draw suspicion and extra focus vs bitcoin. The importance of a thriving market of local traders/ and non-KYC atms who will exchange BTC for cash is important. The diversity of wallets /implementations is also important in an ecosystem as it gives the users the ability to choose which one they feel is more secure and not backdoored.

I could go on at length about the complexity and nuances with security but you should get the picture....
Monopoly

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:24:20 AM

Hmm let me see...Bitcoin or Monero? I'll choose Monero as my favorite crypto.

I understand fan of monero but you must accept this reality Bitcoin is original idea an monero is 50% copy of it . there are so many coins that are better than monero ... like dash and lite .....
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 02:38:19 AM

Hey now, stop making fun of poor old Dash and their silly "Now with 50% more Gimmicky Features!" marketing.

That's just mean.  LOL.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████