Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:32:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [RUN 2 CLOSED][SIDEHACK STICK]GekkoScience Compac Official sales thread  (Read 69672 times)
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 04:47:04 PM

His price at his own website is also lower, indicating just how much of a mark up is needed to cover Amazon's fees.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 04:55:02 PM

bitminerjoe on Amazon is Crazyguy here in bitcointalk. If you want to buy from him directly go to https://asicpuppy.com .
I ordered my R1 from Crazyguy with his custom firmware loaded, he's a stand-up guy and I would recommend buying from him any day of the week (but use his site, not Amazon).
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 07:50:11 PM

Amazon eats 10% off the top; Ebay eats 10% off the top; PayPal eats 3% and Coinbase eats 1%. eBay sales would have about a 13% markup from what I'd sell directly. I'll worry about 10% and 13% but not 3% or 1% (unless it's a seriously big sale) so I just eat the transaction fees on direct sales.

I sold a few of my batch 1's on ebay, to be able to buy more when batch 2 opened up.  They really do eat into profit quite a bit by time you add up ebay and paypal fee's.   Also shipping to on 1 stick in most cases.

I will say i have not listed any for quite a while just was a pain.  So many want them for the 25 dollars.  I had a lot of offers where  I would lose money, not many where I made money. 

bitminerjoe on Amazon is Crazyguy here in bitcointalk. If you want to buy from him directly go to https://asicpuppy.com .
I ordered my R1 from Crazyguy with his custom firmware loaded, he's a stand-up guy and I would recommend buying from him any day of the week (but use his site, not Amazon).

On R1 I got mine from crazyguy aswell getting it with custom firmware I highly suggest

And I don't see to many saying it but congratulations on selling so many sticks Sidehack.  It's great to see the community enjoyed this product, as it really is a fun product to play with and use.
AJRGale

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:49:18 AM

And I don't see to many saying it but congratulations on selling so many sticks Sidehack.  It's great to see the community enjoyed this product, as it really is a fun product to play with and use.

Yes, i have to agree, Congrats sidehack, you did it! thank you for the entertainment of showing us the development and successful product.

Now we all wait for some company to pull its thumb out of its butt and start supplying chips to the public.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 01:28:28 AM

Yeah, I got pretty tired of eBay customers back when it was my main source of income. I don't know how many times I got offers on things where people wanted 50% off the list price. A lot of times I was selling something like a grade-A 17" Dell monitor for $50 shipped and jerks would try to haggle me down to like $30 or less. After fees it wouldn't even cover material cost and shipping, let alone packing materials, parts and labor, or me being able to eat this week. So many idiots on there.

I did get a response from Bitmain overnight. I pretty much laid out to them why selling us chips would be good for their business (including that they're getting a cut of sales they don't have to work for, and sales in market sectors they aren't even in, and increased R1 sales when Gekko-capable firmware exists, and the good publicity they get from community support) and they said what we're doing sounds interesting and they'll consider selling in the future when they aren't focusing all their chips on S7 manufacture. To which I responded, if I could get 10 or 20 chips that'd keep me busy for a while with prototyping. For real though, 20 chips would buy me at least a month of prototyping before I came asking for anything more.

So hopefully that turns into something. Not terribly optimistic for anything anytime soon. We did get samples of BM1384 about three months after the S5 started moving, and the S7 has only been moving for about two months so by that timeframe I've got a bit of a wait yet. Course dev should be faster this time around since a lot of work will already be done. If we have another Compac it'll be a bit more complex than the last one so to integrate software voltage control, so it'll have a controller and firmware kinda like the pod. Which I should be working on the pod next week, as soon as I get the Compac batch finished up.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
sobe-it

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 02:58:44 AM

Yeah, I got pretty tired of eBay customers back when it was my main source of income. I don't know how many times I got offers on things where people wanted 50% off the list price. A lot of times I was selling something like a grade-A 17" Dell monitor for $50 shipped and jerks would try to haggle me down to like $30 or less. After fees it wouldn't even cover material cost and shipping, let alone packing materials, parts and labor, or me being able to eat this week. So many idiots on there.

I did get a response from Bitmain overnight. I pretty much laid out to them why selling us chips would be good for their business (including that they're getting a cut of sales they don't have to work for, and sales in market sectors they aren't even in, and increased R1 sales when Gekko-capable firmware exists, and the good publicity they get from community support) and they said what we're doing sounds interesting and they'll consider selling in the future when they aren't focusing all their chips on S7 manufacture. To which I responded, if I could get 10 or 20 chips that'd keep me busy for a while with prototyping. For real though, 20 chips would buy me at least a month of prototyping before I came asking for anything more.

So hopefully that turns into something. Not terribly optimistic for anything anytime soon. We did get samples of BM1384 about three months after the S5 started moving, and the S7 has only been moving for about two months so by that timeframe I've got a bit of a wait yet. Course dev should be faster this time around since a lot of work will already be done. If we have another Compac it'll be a bit more complex than the last one so to integrate software voltage control, so it'll have a controller and firmware kinda like the pod. Which I should be working on the pod next week, as soon as I get the Compac batch finished up.

I gave up selling on ebay, I have alot of good usable gear to get rid of but dont want to deal with people ripping me off by sending their broken gear in place of mine for a refund and the like.

That would be sweet if they offer a few to mess with until they decide to unload some chips. That way you can prototype sticks, pods, or blades or what ever is in the thought pipeline. I can only imagine the speed of said gear and how much lower you can get the efficiency. I pencil modded the resistor on the huge heat sink compac like you stated but the stick just makes noises, I dont think the powered hub is giving it enough juice.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2108
Merit: 1397

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 04:38:07 PM

Why not just buy an S7 and remove a chip or two from a board for testing? At the very least you can have a prototype working if they every decide to open up sales.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 05:15:49 PM

I started talking to Guy the day they announced the SP50, and things were looking pretty good. The ASIC package was not, per my opinions, as nice to work with as the Hammer (SP10) but a heck of a lot more promising than the Rockerbox. I got all the info out of him I could without signing an NDA, to see if it was worth it, and it seemed worth it. So now I know more but it's under an NDA and I can't talk about it. You do know that I'm still looking for chips, and they are still a potential source.

Regarding an S7, if I was going to buy one and pull only a couple chips I might as well pull the whole board. String topology and chained comms, if you yank one ASIC the entire board is down. If it comes down to it I'll buy a board from philipma, who has been offering for two months to give me one. That'd get me 54 chips but I refuse to let him give me a fully working board for free and right now I don't have the budget to pay for it, and I especially don't have the budget to buy a new one. That's why I'm trying to convice Bitmain to get me a dozen or two ASICs - I can pay for that (even at S7 prices) and it'd buy me a cool month of head start on prototyping so I could jump right in once they like bulk sales.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 11:22:58 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2015, 11:40:59 PM by toptek

You know they even take a cut off what the customer is billed for shipping, right?

SO does eBay now , i couldn't believe it the other day, i stopped selling on eBay. on eBay they call it a final value fee for shipping in top of the big final value fee and then all the other little shit fees, that do add up and next year there fee system is getting worse.

Something about you must make so many sells a month to keep your high ratting as a seller for there so called discounts they get back with other fees.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 11:38:18 PM

Either way it seems the future is bright for your projects, it might push Bitmain to sell you some if you mention to them that you have spondoolies current gen chip as a source if they don't allow you to work with their chip. I don't think Bitmain wants any spondoolie chip led small miners instead of their own and it could push them to allow the chip to be sold and worked out before the next gen is ready.

If you think about it a three month wait is not that bad , sense side does have most of it down now, it will take him less time, once he has those chips, etc etc  ... so yea  you are so right ...

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:34:23 AM

That might be worth considering. I could raffle off dibs on prototype Compacs with BM1385 ASICs and original Compac hardware, which I'll probably build a few anyway as initial tests before we tear into microcontroller comms and digital voltage control.

So today I built 100 Compacs. Pretty impressive when you consider how much manual work goes into the process. When I started, 30 was a good day. By the end of the first batch, 50 was a good day. Today I had 70 made in 7 hours and then stopped for dinner. Also I was used to seeing about 10-30% require second-pass ASIC reflows to work properly; I think I first-pass reflowed maybe 8 of the 101 I touched today and 100 of them work. So kinda sucks that I'm at the end of the run; heck if I could have busted them out this fast from the start the shipping queue would have been maybe a few days wait tops. Oh well, experience gained for the next project. I'm more optimistic about pods if ASICs reliably work right out of the oven, and I've pretty well figured out all the calibrations for the robot and improved PCB layout practices and how our solder paste behaves and manufacture in the future should be a lot smoother.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:51:32 AM

If you live in the United States and have not yet received a Compac order, your order shipped out today. I would have gotten more done today but I wasted half the day rebuilding a main breaker on the shop's loadcenter panel so I could get lights and workstations back up and going. Fortunately hosting is on a separate subcircuit so I could switch servers and routers over to emergency circuits. I'm hoping to burn some time this weekend completing the hosting expansion and then early next week finish out the remaining Compac orders.

I'm still deciding whether or not to do another batch. I may end up not taking in direct sales and sell only to bulk resellers, as I put up about 87 orders from the first 1000 Compacs and about 800 of them were to about 20 sales (of the 505 sold in the second half, 431 were from 8 bulk orders). Wrangling sales and packing a berjillion small boxes eats up a lot of time, and I'm already busy fleshing out and managing a 100KW hosting center and designing and manufacturing all the goodies. And hopefully there'll be more goodies coming down the line.

klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 04:40:14 PM

If you live in the United States and have not yet received a Compac order, your order shipped out today. I would have gotten more done today but I wasted half the day rebuilding a main breaker on the shop's loadcenter panel so I could get lights and workstations back up and going. Fortunately hosting is on a separate subcircuit so I could switch servers and routers over to emergency circuits. I'm hoping to burn some time this weekend completing the hosting expansion and then early next week finish out the remaining Compac orders.

I'm still deciding whether or not to do another batch. I may end up not taking in direct sales and sell only to bulk resellers, as I put up about 87 orders from the first 1000 Compacs and about 800 of them were to about 20 sales (of the 505 sold in the second half, 431 were from 8 bulk orders). Wrangling sales and packing a berjillion small boxes eats up a lot of time, and I'm already busy fleshing out and managing a 100KW hosting center and designing and manufacturing all the goodies. And hopefully there'll be more goodies coming down the line.

good idea then you can focus on the manufacturing and hardware side of things  Smiley
bettermember

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:28:41 AM

Are there any left,  I would like to order one or two.
zOU

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:56:06 AM

Are there any left,  I would like to order one or two.

No direct sales Smiley

Topic says closed.

Check with asicpuppy.com in US or bitshopper.de in EU, they're the resellers.

fire27

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 11:33:11 AM

sidehack so what would be the moq for future sales for the resellers?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 03:30:39 PM

I don't know, 25 or 50? I'd like to see at least 200 committed to purchase; if I can get them all paid down I'll start another batch of 500 with pull chips.

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:50:17 PM

Just got my shiny new toy in the mail !!!!   

Thanks

papadrams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:31:46 PM

Well if you decide to do another batch, i want 10 of them!!!! I am telling you from now  Wink
judypug1956

Activity: 355
Merit: 276

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:29:42 AM

Well if you decide to do another batch, i want 10 of them!!!! I am telling you from now  Wink

go to crazyguy  he has some at Asicpuppy.com

1956jUdYPFwiBSzt9AECdWj3KE4WV7taiM I can't do 1957philma.. for btc address the i are not allowed This is a secondary account for Philipma1957, don't do business with this account deal with philipma1957
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: