Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:40:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 02:50:45 PM

I can't help but comment on two points already made:

1) Silk Road becoming Platinum Member.
2) People with money, can buy their way in changing (or destroying) bitcoin.

I'd like to pose the following questions to the Foundation

1) Is anyone allowed to become a member? If not, what are the rules/restrictions?
2) Is everyone's vote worth the same? If not, please explain.
3) How will the Foundation defend itself from people with power buying their way into changing/destroying things?

I feel this is a good move and I'm pleased with it, there are problems though that need to be thought over. I (and many others) would appreciate if you could provide us with some answers, preferably on the Foundation's web site.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:52:00 PM

If you are worried about the direction of the Bitcoin Foundation and the members of the board you should join the foundation and let your vote count.

Brilliant!! Just like democracy!! This system that works so fucking well!!

Especially if your enemy can just buy any number of votes (=memberships) he wants.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:54:27 PM

It also worries me that you need to give away your anonymity to support this project.
Where will this precious data end up when shit hits the fan?

I agree, this doesn't even keep one of the core values of bitcoins, that is anonymity, kinda disappointed, I wanted to get a membership until I see have to provide a real address and real name.  

Damn, I hadn't noticed that.

It starts awfully bad already. Privacy is just a fundamental principle. If they start by ignoring it...
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:56:46 PM

I can't help but comment on two points already made:

1) Silk Road becoming Platinum Member.
2) People with money, can buy their way in changing (or destroying) bitcoin.

1) Is anyone allowed to become a member? If not, what are the rules/restrictions?

They have something on their web page about disallowing felons. So I guess that means no Silkroad, no BFL.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:00:31 PM

Especially if your enemy can just buy any number of votes (=memberships) he wants.

I suppose microsoft can just buy seats on the linux foundation too.  Wink

Polvos

Activity: 597

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:00:40 PM

I think this is a very important step. Monumental step. Bitcoin will become more legitimate and more robust thanks to this.

I disagree much. When I sign with a private key I own a message which says some imputs become some outputs and broadcast it trough the bitcoin network I, and anyone, don't need legitimation of any kind. The only thing needed is acceptance from the rest of the users in the network.

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 03:00:58 PM

Lifetime membership here I come.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:03:34 PM

Any perceived attempt by people to organize a higher hierarchy in the bitcoin world is seen as threat and "centralization" by bitcoiners even if said schema have no power and doesn't actually centralize anything.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:06:01 PM

They have something on their web page about disallowing felons. So I guess that means no Silkroad, no BFL.

Felons under whose definition?
SR so far are no criminals under any serious objective Ethics, for example.

And to reject "felons" (under whichever definition), they need to require people to identify themselves. That's already something that I consider that goes against bitcoin principles. I wouldn't expect that of Jon Matonis, for example, who proudly supports financial privacy. And look who's on the board... (PS: I haven't verified yet if they really block anonymous memberships, I'm saying this based on what was said on this topic)
auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:06:36 PM

I don't know why some people are so against it, they may be right that it may not be best decision but this is just another bitcoin foundation, if majority is against this it will not work, if majority wants a different organization everybody is free to make one instead whining, here is mine "The unorganized BTCitcoin organization" with only one member me Smiley
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:08:29 PM

The only thing needed is acceptance from the rest of the users in the network.

This is truth. But what about the 99.9999% of humanity that isn't on the network?

Getting more users on the network by countering the bad info and propaganda is part of the mission statement of the foundation. To the fence-sitter who might be persuaded to join the network, having a statement issued by The Bitcoin Foundation sounds more authoritative than pointing to a forum announcement.

The foundation is Bitcoin's face to the world, not a mirror for us to look at ourselves.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:09:36 PM

And to reject "felons" (under whichever definition), they need to require people to identify themselves. That's already something that I consider that goes against bitcoin principles. I wouldn't expect that of Jon Matonis, for example, who proudly supports financial privacy. And look who's on the board... (PS: I haven't verified yet if they really block anonymous memberships, I'm saying this based on what was said on this topic)

If it's all based on rumors, perhaps we should read about the membership requirement on their page instead.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:11:53 PM

This is truth. But what about the 99.9999% of humanity that isn't on the network?

Bitcoiners are the 0.0001%!  Cheesy

greyhawk

Activity: 952

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:14:47 PM

Felons under whose definition?
SR so far are no criminals under any serious objective Ethics, for example.

The felon part is for board members, not the actual memberships of the foundation.

You're right. I just re-read that myself. So my above statement was factually incorrect.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:15:51 PM

Bitcoiners are the 0.0001%!  Cheesy

Occupy Bitcoin? Wink
EhVedadoOAnonimato

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:19:10 PM

Any perceived attempt by people to organize a higher hierarchy[/u] in the bitcoin world is seen as threat

Thankfully so.

"Bitcoin has no authority", remember?

(again, I'm not saying this is definitely a threat, but I don't like the approach)
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:21:45 PM

Thankfully so.

"Bitcoin has no authority", remember?

(again, I'm not saying this is definitely a threat, but I don't like the approach)

And the foundation don't have the ability to compels the miners.

Polvos

Activity: 597

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:23:06 PM

Getting more users on the network by countering the bad info and propaganda is part of the mission statement of the foundation. To the fence-sitter who might be persuaded to join the network, having a statement issued by The Bitcoin Foundation sounds more authoritative than pointing to a forum announcement.

The foundation is Bitcoin's face to the world, not a mirror for us to look at ourselves.

The rest of the humanity is free to join the network. They only need to read in the forums to start getting the information to start the trip. And one of the first things they will read, and I hope they would be searching for, will be the anonymity they can achieve working right with their bitcoins. This foundation crashes with anonymity.

I think bitcoin doesn't need someone to talk from itself. Code, users, actions and time talks from itself. One error of a bitcoin user and some coins are lost. One error of the bitcoin fat ass target foundation and we can loose everything.

I find this foundation as dangerous for bitcoin as the fat ass MtGox. With both we loose anonymity and the decentralized spirit of the network.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:26:51 PM

...we require a real name and address for Individual members

W. T. F. Huh

Real identity in Bitcoin world? I hope u'll remove this nonsense soon. Guys, u r supposed to solve problems without help of outer world. If u need an instrument - make it!
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:29:13 PM

The rest of the humanity is free to join the network. They only need to read in the forums to start getting the information to start the trip. And one of the first things they will read, and I hope they would be searching for, will be the anonymity they can achieve working right with their bitcoins. This foundation crashes with anonymity.

Anonymity is important to you and me, but not necessary the whole of humanity. Also, the forum have trolls and idiots. Who wants to read about idiots arguing for ponzi scheme? The bitcointalk forum is an embarrassment.

I think bitcoin doesn't need someone to talk from itself. Code, users, actions and time talks from itself. One error of a bitcoin user and some coins are lost. One error of the bitcoin fat ass target foundation and we can loose everything.

Give me an example how a fat ass target foundation will cause us to lose everything?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: