Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:14:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:48:26 AM

The centralization of power has started - factual power.

The Bitcoin Foundation and the way it was introduced is against the core principle of Bitcoin: Decentralization.

I'm deeply dissappointed. And I'm saddened by the people cheering for their new masters.

I see a major fork coming.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:49:49 AM

@vess: as the leader of this would you share your thoughts on my comment here?

I'd appreciate that.

But here is I think a GOOD TEST:

There is a lot of power in names - official titles of recognition. I understand the goals/purpose of the Bitcoin Foundation, but I don't believe this suffers depending on how the foundation is named. I do believe, however, inherent (political) power is given over by the name "Bitcoin foundation". So here is my test. Would one of the high level people answer this simply?

Would you be willing to change the name to something like the "We Use Coins Group"?

*These are my views and do not necessarily reflect the views of CoinLab, or my boss, Peter. I don't work for the Foundation, but have volunteered myself to help however I can.

From the post you linked, you ask if the Bitcoin Foundation is the right/best way to do 4 things that (it seems) you and I both agree would be good for Bitcoin moving forward.

If it helps accomplish those four goals, isn't that a good thing?  We could spend years discussing the "best" way to move forward, but I'm of the philosophy that its best to start moving things forward and then improve over time. (Gavin has been working to make this to happen for ~11 months now.)

Why does it have to be "the best"?  Isn't good-for-bitcoin enough? Couldn't Bitcoin use all the help it can get?

Personally, I think for the Foundation to be an effective legitimate face to Bitcoin, it needs an official sounding name.  "We Use Coins Group" sounds like a club in a garage: regulators, businesspeople, journalists, etc. wouldn't take a group with a name like that seriously.  "Bitcoin Foundation" is the simplest, most clear name they could have chosen IMO.  

So you want a central authority for Bitcoin?
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 12:51:55 AM

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort that goes on behind the scenes by the developers (thanks Gavin) but for all of the hype I expected something bigger.

If I'm not mistaken, Gavin said that there would be a "major announcement in September" casually during an interview, once.  Then these forums blew up with 15+ pages of speculation about what the announcement would be.

The hype was manufactured by Bitcointalkers, not the founders of this Foundation.  

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:53:23 AM

To those ones who wanna Decentralization:

JUST start your own bitcoin foundation. don't waste your time to criticize Gavin's work.

Atlas, just start your own foundation. you have a long history on this forum of raising money without anything achieved. You can raise money and form a foundation. You don't have to talk so much negatively here. Just start your own thread.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Atlas

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:54:53 AM

JUST start your own bitcoin foundation. don't waste your time to criticize Gavin's work.

...or we can just declare independence from this one and make sure its purported authority is not recognized. Then we can let others work as they see fit.

I don't want a foundation. I don't want power. I just want people to leave my money alone. I don't want mob rule putting a backdoor in Bitcoin.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:58:47 AM

...or we can just declare independence from this one and make sure its purported authority is not recognized. Then we can let others work as they see fit.

Isn't already a fact? How Gavin's foundation can control the bitcoin protocol? Bitcoin of course is independent from the Foundation. The Foundation can support the bitcoin, but the bitcoin community don't have to listen to the Foundation.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 12:59:35 AM

I can't help but comment on two points already made:

1) Silk Road becoming Platinum Member.
2) People with money, can buy their way in changing (or destroying) bitcoin.

1) Is anyone allowed to become a member? If not, what are the rules/restrictions?

They have something on their web page about disallowing felons. So I guess that means no Silkroad, no BFL.

I wasn't going to comment till I got to the end of this thread, but felt it necessary now. I've been charged with three felonies in my life: abuse, though she didn't have a mark on her and I had plenty (dropped); underage rape--she claimed I even got her pregnant and I demanded a DNA test (dropped); possession of crack cocaine--picked up a girl for you know what and before dropping her off where I found her, made a pit stop for her to make a buy (dropped, after wearing a wire to help with another investigation)(first and last time I've ever seen crack/cocaine).

I am taken aback by your comment if true for how/why/etc. would the foundation member(s) get their hands on such information? Surely, surely, surely not via any close associates over at the CIA.

At the moment, I'm on the fence with this issue. Half of me applauds this incentive, while the other half is WFT.

I admire a couple of those on the board (Gavin, for sure), whereas I've previously penned ill things about another. I do see a strong semblance here to Faissez Faire City prior to its demise.

God's speed.

~Bruno~

EDIT: Upon rereading, it seems that only future board members will undergo a full background check. That said, please don't read I what I penned above about being charged with three felonies.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:00:03 AM

-1 for THE. Call it A Bitcoin Foundation
+1 misterbigg, this is way overhyped, although I'm not surprised by this because I often see maximum hype and vapourware on this forum.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:00:22 AM

I don't want a foundation. I don't want power. I just want people to leave my money alone. I don't want mob rule putting a backdoor in Bitcoin.

+ 1

I just had to change my sig.
Serith

Activity: 269

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:01:18 AM

This is beyond lame. Now I know why there was a distractingly loud burst of absolute silence earlier today, it was the collective yawn from masses of Bitcoin users over this announcement. Next time, don't try to build up excitement by foreshadowing "something big" only to let people down.

I was expecting:

- A new piece of technology / software
or
- A revolutionary business model based on Bitcoin
or
- Mass regional adoption of Bitcoin by retailers
or
- Acceptance of Bitcoin by an established political center

What I got INSTEAD was a sausage party that decided to put up a website and ask for donations.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort that goes on behind the scenes by the developers (thanks Gavin) but for all of the hype I expected something bigger.

It must be hard to please you, I am sorry for your girlfriend or wife.

Jokes aside, Bitcoin Foundation is a group of people that has website and ask for money, what makes it different is the list of very capable people interested in promotion and development of Bitcoin, who will get the money and will have the opportunity to make a very good and consequential things for Bitcoin.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:01:33 AM

As long as the source is open, there is not likely to be a backdoor. If you wanna keep your goal, why not start your own foundation, like "Bitcoin Foundation II" which focused on check the sourcecode of bitcoin to make sure that there is no backdoor?

boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:04:29 AM

What are you going to do to stop them from forming and maintaining their foundation? What are you going to do to keep them from seizing power and leaving "your money alone"? What makes you think the mob would undermine their own financial freedom by putting a backdoor in place?

Go ahead and declare independence if you want. Why don't you go and boycott all the coins they receive while you're at it.

They are free to form a collective just as you are free to form or join one of your choosing or abstain from these all together.

I can't help but comment on two points already made:

1) Silk Road becoming Platinum Member.
2) People with money, can buy their way in changing (or destroying) bitcoin.

1) Is anyone allowed to become a member? If not, what are the rules/restrictions?

They have something on their web page about disallowing felons. So I guess that means no Silkroad, no BFL.
...possession of crack cocaine--picked up a girl for you know what and before dropping her off where I found her, made a pit stop for her to make a buy (dropped, after wearing a wire to help with another investigation)(first and last time I've ever seen crack/cocaine).

I would rather have the person charged and convicted of possessing crack cocaine on the board than a snitch. Just my personal opinion.
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:05:45 AM

Is there anything stopping some other group from creating another foundation with exactly the same name?

Or do non-profits get to have trademark rights, etc?
Atlas

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:06:08 AM

As long as the source is open, there is not likely to be a backdoor. If you wanna keep your goal, why not start your own foundation, like "Bitcoin Foundation II" which focused on check the sourcecode of bitcoin to make sure that there is no backdoor?

That will not matter if everybody accepts "official" releases under a power structure that's hard to undermine using monetary and legal resources.
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 01:08:39 AM

I think you are trying to be inflammatory for the fun on it, based on your extensive history of trolling, but I'll respond to you in case you are being sincere.

I look forward to seeing a well-organized group working on the general advancement of Bitcoin.  Not for the advancement of one interest or the other, but all working towards the simple goal: "Let's help Bitcoin reach its potential."  The Foundation is not claiming any authority over anything.  The fact that important, trusted Bitcoiners are involved with the Bitcoin Foundation gives it credibility, not authority.

Bitcointalk is the best way to get news about whats going on in the community.  Does that mean it is the "central authority for Bitcoin information"?  It's not a central authority because it has no direct power over the Bitcoin protocol. And, there are many alternatives.

The Bitcoin Foundation is not trying to get a "monopoly" on advancing Bitcoin, I'm certain that they will encourage all efforts that help Bitcoin succeed. Many other groups like this already exist, and I'm sure new ones will pop up in the future.  The Foundation has no direct control over the protocol (one of it's board members, Gavin, does.  but it's been that way for over a year). And, there are many alternatives.

If you don't see these forums as a "central authority", I'm not sure why you're interpreting the Foundation as trying to be one.

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:09:38 AM

That will not matter if everybody accepts "official" releases under a power structure that's hard to undermine using monetary and legal resources.

Every "release" has a pretty long time to do test work. The community has the time to check the code.

Atlas

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:11:14 AM

I think you are trying to be inflammatory for the fun on it, based on your extensive history of trolling, but I'll respond to you in case you are being sincere.

I look forward to seeing a well-organized group working on the general advancement of Bitcoin.  Not for the advancement of one interest or the other, but all working towards the simple goal: "Let's help Bitcoin reach its potential."  The Foundation is not claiming any authority over anything.  The fact that important, trusted Bitcoiners are involved with the Bitcoin Foundation gives it credibility, not authority.

Bitcointalk is the best way to get news about whats going on in the community.  Does that mean it is the "central authority for Bitcoin information"?  It's not a central authority because it has no direct power over the Bitcoin protocol. And, there are many alternatives.

The Bitcoin Foundation is not trying to get a "monopoly" on advancing Bitcoin, I'm certain that they will encourage all efforts that help Bitcoin succeed. Many other groups like this already exist, and I'm sure new ones will pop up in the future.  The Foundation has no direct control over the protocol (one of it's board members, Gavin, does.  but it's been that way for over a year). And, there are many alternatives.

If you don't see these forums as a "central authority", I'm not sure why you're interpreting the Foundation as trying to be one.

You do have control over the protocol. You will be paying Gavin's salary and I bet the board would love to make stipulations. You are also setting "standards". What does that mean to you? Setting the standards on how Bitcoin functions?
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:12:08 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Gavin said that there would be a "major announcement in September" casually during an interview, once.

Right. There was no "major announcement."
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:14:50 AM

It must be hard to please you

This is true but given the facts, it would have been more appropriate to say "We are making a minor announcement in September."
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:18:00 AM

It is kind of funny how someone can start a foundation that relies entirely on voluntary contributions and donations and we will go over its proposal with a fine-toothed comb but someone could start offering a bank that offers 90% interest per day and they would be overwhelmed with people begging to hand over their life savings with no questions asked.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: