Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 06:37:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:43:02 AM

The industry pricing suggests that it is intended for "bitcoin industry", rather than "industry that happens to accept payment in bitcoin".  Considering the structure of the organization, the distinction seems like a reasonable one to make.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:46:19 AM

The industry pricing suggests that it is intended for "bitcoin industry", rather than "industry that happens to accept payment in bitcoin".  Considering the structure of the organization, the distinction seems like a reasonable one to make.

Exactly. Which is a good thing.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:47:50 AM

Great job!

Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 11:53:53 AM

This:

Q: How do we know you won't just take our bitcoins and run?

We won't. The initial Foundation board members are all people with well established reputations using their real names.

remembers me of this:

Why is your Internet Honor/ forum rep worth 10,000btc to you? Or, to clarify, Why wouldn't you cut and run if you lose?..we are talking about a shitload of money on a gamble with strangers.
I have holdings and deep involvement in too many businesses in bitcoin to ever walk away. I'm long. Uber long. It's about much more than a forum rep, and I've never even attempted to be anonymous. Do the math.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 11:55:13 AM

Mark currently serves as CEO of Mt.Gox, one of the oldest Bitcoin businesses in operation today. He is the mastermind who created the current trade engine and the multi-currency platform for Mt.Gox.
False.
Jed Mccaleb createt it Smiley ( even if we can debate on the "current" word )

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:56:56 AM

Hopefully, the Bitcoin Foundation takes care of the various trademarks that have already occupied the name "Bitcoin".

Otherwise, it may have to rename itself soon...
grishnakh

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:00:22 PM

Cool stuff. For sure very good news for bitcoin in general.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 12:03:45 PM

Great news. Hope to support this in future.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=80019.0  is the bitcoin testing project still happening ?

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 12:09:40 PM

This feels like the beginning of the end to me. A good 'ol boys club where only the Bitcoin rich get influence. How else can they justify paying large dues? How is this foundation going to respond to government pressure to change the code, to regulate and control who uses Bitcoin and how? It seems like we're going from what was a decentralized system to one where the developers are directly under the influence of the major dues payers and will be, whatever they say now not withstanding, under direct government control.

Bitcoin is inherently different than Linux and one thing that brought many users together in using Bitcoin was that it had no central nexxus for control.

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:10:39 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2012, 12:55:50 PM by elux

The Bitcoin Foundation is modeled on the Linux Foundation.

Two questions:

Do we get "elux@bitcoin.org" vanity addresses like with the Linux Foundation? (I'd like that.)

Do you plan to leak user data, like the Linux Foundation? Tongue

"Attention Linux.com and LinuxFoundation.org users,

"We are writing you because you have an account on Linux.com, LinuxFoundation.org, or one of the subdomains associated with these domains. On September 8, 2011, we discovered a security breach that may have compromised your username, password, email address and other information you have given to us. We believe this breach was connected to the intrusion on kernel.org.

"As with any intrusion and as a matter of caution, you should consider the passwords and SSH keys that you have used on these sites compromised. If you have reused these passwords on other sites, please change them immediately. We are currently auditing all systems and will update public statements when we have more information.

"We have taken all Linux Foundation servers offline to do complete re-installs. Linux Foundation services will be put back up as they become available. We are working around the clock to expedite this process and are working with authorities in the United States and in Europe to assist with the investigation.

"The Linux Foundation takes the security of its infrastructure and that of its members extremely seriously and are pursuing all avenues to investigate this attack and prevent future ones. We apologize for this inconvenience and will communicate updates as we have them.

"Please contact us at info@linuxfoundation.org with questions about this matter.

"The Linux Foundation"

Please take extra special care.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:12:19 PM

Is this project going in the direction of a bitcoin centralization?

I can't avoid seeing it from this angle too.

First of all, you shouldn't have chosen such name. You're not the foundation of Bitcoin. The foundation of Bitcoin is Satoshi's code, not this organization. At least in other "foundations", the organization was created by the founders of the respective project, AFAIK.

Plus, there's no "E-mail Foundation" and look how popular the technology got, without such centralization.

Anyways... maybe I'm being over paranoid.

By curiosity, is at least a single member of the board not a statist?
Jon Matonis seems to be quite liberty-oriented, but I don't know until which point.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:15:04 PM

Joined. This is a step in the right direction. Thanks, Gavin.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:17:29 PM

How is this foundation going to respond to government pressure to change the code, to regulate and control who uses Bitcoin and how? It seems like we're going from what was a decentralized system to one where the developers are directly under the influence of the major dues payers and will be, whatever they say now not withstanding, under direct government control.

I share your feelings.

Bitcoin is inherently different than Linux and one thing that brought many users together in using Bitcoin was that it had no central nexxus for control.

Agreed.

I understand it remains open source and we may always fork etc. But still. If this organization starts centralizing development, it may represent some danger.
I'd appreciate if core developers didn't get involved with it, but it's the "lead developer" himself who creates it...  Sad
Jointops420

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:18:59 PM

+1 Joined as well, much needed.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 12:22:48 PM

First of all, you shouldn't have chosen such name. You're not the foundation of Bitcoin. The foundation of Bitcoin is Satoshi's code, not this organization. At least in other "foundations", the organization was created by the founders of the respective project, AFAIK.

That's just wordplay. The code is the basis and this is an organization. Added to that as you can see the Bitcoin Foundation will concern itself with much more than developing the software.

Plus, there's no "E-mail Foundation" and look how popular the technology got, without such centralization.
That is not a valid analogy. Bitcoin is much more than just a protocol.
If it would contain just the mechanism to establish a cryptocurrency and the creation of a blockchain would be left to individual users that could be the case - it's not. Bitcoin is no protocol it's already contains the concrete implementation, that's why we are here.

One good anology would be wikimedia foundation, they are developing the mediawiki software and at the same time are responsible for wikipedia.
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 12:24:24 PM

+1

How is this foundation going to respond to government pressure to change the code, to regulate and control who uses Bitcoin and how? It seems like we're going from what was a decentralized system to one where the developers are directly under the influence of the major dues payers and will be, whatever they say now not withstanding, under direct government control.
I share your feelings.
+1

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:24:34 PM

Great news, and a big thank you to all board members for their continued effort in Bitcoin universe.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:25:18 PM

This is great.

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:27:08 PM

Thank you. This is a great milestone for us.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 12:30:11 PM

Anyways... maybe I'm being over paranoid.

By curiosity, is at least a single member of the board not a statist?
Jon Matonis seems to be quite liberty-oriented, but I don't know until which point.

If satoshi = Gavin then the point is moot  Cheesy

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: