Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:39:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 08:35:21 PM

Any plan to send a confirmation message to new members by email and confirm reception of coins?

greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 08:49:19 PM

Any plan to send a confirmation message to new members by email and confirm reception of coins?

I thought the bitcoin protocol confirms reception of coins?
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 08:53:58 PM

I thought the bitcoin protocol confirms reception of coins?
Confirm that they recognize the reception of coins.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 08:54:40 PM

Isn't liberty great?  Gavin can make a Bitcoin Foundation, and people can join, or not, as serves their interests.
Well put.
If you don't like, don't join. It is very simple. Everyone is free to form their own foundation.
I really don't understand the hate.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:00:24 PM

Isn't liberty great?  Gavin can make a Bitcoin Foundation, and people can join, or not, as serves their interests.
Well put.
If you don't like, don't join. It is very simple. Everyone is free to form their own foundation.

THE Bitcoin Foundation.

The name alone sounds very authoritarian. It seems to me they want sole control over the network.
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:03:08 PM

Where do I sign up to become President of this 'foundation' ?

Probably become an established member of it and get the others to vote for you.

I don't know what I find more annoying, that certain things could have been avoided if the bitcoin foundation already existed (for example the outcome of the bitcoinca dilemma) or the reaction of the naysayers.
All I see are rants and sarcastic statements.

Gavin already has control over the code, the other board members control over their respected companies, now they form a coalition and enable you to take part of that control and you are complaining?

I rather overthrow this control than go through the effort to gain its approval. Once I have the means, I will be tearing this shit apart through whatever is necessary.

I rather reign in hell than serve in heaven.

Or you could just get the fuck out.
bitcoinspot.nl

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 09:04:19 PM

Great initiative this foundation!
Maybe you can crank out some new bitcoin video's to replace the old "what is bitcoin" video. Smiley

but i was browsing the site and i see that there are different classes of membership, and different costs. The site says that: "Each Membership includes one vote in its voting class. " but does one class have more weight than another class ? so if i donate 10000 bitcoins per year as a company do i have more to say in this foundation than a person who just donates 2,5 bitcoin?

- bitcoinspot.nl - Alles over bitcoin! -
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:05:57 PM

Has anyone gotten notification email after joining?  I signed up and sent in the coins a couple hours ago, but haven't seen anything in my email.

It sounds like we should automate this for them.  
LOL
Tony, you really got me physically laughing.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
OneEyed
aka aurele

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 09:14:23 PM

Well put.

THE Bitcoin Foundation.

The name alone sounds very authoritarian. It seems to me they want sole control over the network.

They came with the name first, that's it. Or do you object "bitcointalk" as well? Aren't we allowed to talk about bitcoins anywhere but on this forum?

Atlas

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:16:30 PM

Well put.

THE Bitcoin Foundation.

They came with the name first, that's it. Or do you object "bitcointalk" as well? Aren't we allowed to talk about bitcoins anywhere but on this forum?

I object to people calling themselves "official" representatives for my money, my Bitcoins and the network they run on.
Polvos

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:18:37 PM

This is not going to end well. It's like the wrong pendular thinking I'm used to see in my country.

- Some hackers break into my users database? (MtGox)==> I ask for passport apostilled documentation plus some domestic invoice to everyone.

- Some fake exchangers steal the users bitcoins they keep there?(bitcoinica)==>Well, let's all demand for a tainted coins system in order to prevent some stolen coins from moving through the network.

- Some scammer offers a 7% weekly and then tries to dissapear?(pirate)==> Let's run to the government skirt and cry for help.

- Some lazy ass journalists write uninformed articles about a new internet currency?==>Let's start a bitcoin foundation because bitcoin needs a "face to talk to the media" and a way to centralize all the newbie activity in the network.

- Some prima donna-thinking developer wants to get paid a salary?==> Let's build a bitcoin centralized fan club, loose all the anonymity, and ask for a monthly fee.

Gavin Andresen don't take my answers too bad, but If you think you deserve a better payment for your effort: ask for a bounty in the developer subforum. That way you will get truly anonymous and democratic answers from the only people who deserve the power: The user.

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:23:51 PM

The American internet has had no central government since its inception. Nobody is regulating the bandwidth providers. People are free to lay their own data cables, centers and routers as they please.

Errr, telecommunications are very much regulated, as is the WWW, domain names, http, tcp, ip, ftp...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 09:25:34 PM

This is just legal approval to give developers salaries and raise funding for those salaries.

"Yay, we are recognized by the government to do business with certain tax privileges, yay! Bitcoin needs government approval to succeed!"

That's all I see here. Congrats.

Now, if you are trying to be the central democratic process for the Bitcoin network protocol, go fuck yourselves. Seriously, die. We don't need your authority or approval.

Bitcoin doesn't need a government. It doesn't need corporate sponsorship. It just needs people that value them. Central authority ruins Bitcoin's value.

If people can actually hurt the value of your money by (iyo) claiming authority over it then it was pretty shit to start with.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Atlas

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:26:37 PM

The American internet has had no central government since its inception. Nobody is regulating the bandwidth providers. People are free to lay their own data cables, centers and routers as they please.

Errr, telecommunications are very much regulated, as is the WWW, domain names, http, tcp, ip, ftp...

Those are all iterations of various protocols, additions to the internet. The core infrastructure is not regulated.
OneEyed
aka aurele

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 09:28:51 PM

Those are all iterations of various protocols, additions to the internet. The core infrastructure is not regulated.

You mean, the infrastructure using IP addresses allocated by ARIN?

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:30:12 PM

Which are regulated by committes, foundations, groups etc. or they wouldn't work together, would they?

Dipshit.
Atlas

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:33:47 PM

Which are regulated by committes, foundations, groups etc. or they wouldn't work together, would they?

Dipshit.
They work together regardless because people desire certain things. Some of these protocols remain untouched and need no oversight because they are fine as they are.

They are products that you can either use or defer from. Bitcoin isn't something people can easily leave if they have their savings in it. We are dealing with wealth here.
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:37:02 PM

Bitcoin isn't something people can easily leave if they have their savings in it. We are dealing with wealth here.

You cannot easily sell your bitcoins?
Please stop acting like the world owes you something...
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:38:00 PM

I object to people calling themselves "official" representatives for my money, my Bitcoins and the network they run on.

I would totally object to that too.  Wake me up if someone actually does it.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Atlas

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 09:40:46 PM

Bitcoin isn't something people can easily leave if they have their savings in it. We are dealing with wealth here.

You cannot easily sell your bitcoins?
Please stop acting like the world owes you something...

It doesn't. That's why I am getting my message out and trying to encourage people to do what they think is best for their money: Hopefully that is no central control over it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: