Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:38:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 09:12:35 AM

It's good that the Foundation will be funding development and representing Bitcoin legally, but it's important that the ownership of Bitcoin-related assets doesn't become too centralized. In particular, the Foundation should not:
- Control bitcoin.org
- Control any DNS seeds, etc.
- Own copyright on the Bitcoin source code
- Own any patents
- Own the Bitcoin trademark (unless someone has to own it)

I've answered this on reddit and similar sentiments in the comment section of my recent article, but I also want to post here. [No comment from me on copyrights and patents, because I don't believe in them and I don't support their infrastructure.]

theymos, thank you. I considered those issues as well prior to accepting the offer to join the board (and the specific direction is still being debated in multiple venues such as this forum). The success and organization of the Tor Project had a lot to do with my decision.

As a libertarian and non-Statist on the Foundation board, I think that other libertarians and non-Statists would mostly agree that a transparent organization is preferable to a 'single anointed individual' that can select the next 'single anointed individual' in a non-transparent fashion (the community never voiced their opinion on Gavin taking over lead role for Satoshi — it just happened). Although it has worked out well, no one can guarantee the longevity of Gavin in that role.

Open source software is actually more vulnerable to discreet State pressures and random bribery when only one, or a few, steer core protocol development without any community input on succession planning. A centralized individual is more corruptible than a group and the foundation is actually a step towards de-centralization in that regard.

Additionally, I would think that bitcoin users in general would welcome a check-and-balance on the core development group that may or may not have been involved in receiving clandestine compensation on the side. Of course, nothing prevents that from occurring now or in the future but I believe that an accountable, nonprofit foundation would decrease its likelihood.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 09:19:50 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 09:31:49 AM by bitcoin.me

How will the foundation respond to a request from the Department of Homeland Security or other government agency to cough up all user data in relation to registered bitcoin foundation members if they suddenly declare it a "tool of terrorism" or feel need to "protect the children" ?

In saying that the people on the board need to have balls the size of an elephant to take on such a  public role and for that I am impressed. remember that Julian Assange didnt get charged with "rape" untill he leaked some stuff about the bankers  Smiley

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 09:30:31 AM

I just made a terrible discovery.

The English Foundation.

This is a foundation dedicated to US English. I can't tell but I don't think they even invented English, they seem to be co-opting it for their purposes after the fact and I fear it will get worse. One main tactic seems to be teaching English to new people, eventually those people are going to outnumber us and (with help from The Foundation) have more influence than us early English adopters.

This is -our- language we are talking about here. I don't think it would be wise to leave it in the hands of this one organization.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:37:40 AM

The English Foundation.

This is a foundation dedicated to US English.
They need to be ostracised! Everyone knows that UK English is superiour.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 09:39:10 AM

I wish people got this mad about an official sounding name when some guy created Bitcoin Savings & Trust.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 09:39:53 AM

This thread should be moved to "Service announcements" since it's simply announcing the formation of a US corporation that's looking for members.

Polvos

Activity: 597

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:40:53 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 11:32:36 AM by Polvos

The English Foundation.

This is a foundation dedicated to US English. I can't tell but I don't think they even invented English, they seem to be co-opting it for their purposes after the fact and I fear it will get worse. One main tactic seems to be teaching English to new people, eventually those people are going to outnumber us and (with help from The Foundation) have more influence than us early English adopters.

This is -our- language we are talking about here. I don't think it would be wise to leave it in the hands of this one organization.

- Has "The English foundation" selfdeclared "the face" of the English speakers worldwide?

- Has "The English foundation" raped one of the most valuable characteristic of the English language asking for breaking anonymity in order to learn it?

- Has "The Englis foundation" plausibility or any possibility of patenting, claiming or stealing other people work for the English language?

Polvos

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:48:41 AM

This thread should be moved to "Service announcements" since it's simply announcing the formation of a US corporation that's looking for members.

The thread announcing some "major announcement in the Bitcoin economy that will bring us stability" was in the main bitcoin forum for about a month.

Now that some of the low profile users complain about what we think is a bad idea, the staff members want us in a subforum corner a day after the "announcement".

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:53:26 AM

It's good that the Foundation will be funding development and representing Bitcoin legally, but it's important that the ownership of Bitcoin-related assets doesn't become too centralized. In particular, the Foundation should not:
- Control bitcoin.org
- Control any DNS seeds, etc.
- Own copyright on the Bitcoin source code
- Own any patents
- Own the Bitcoin trademark (unless someone has to own it)

I've answered this on reddit and similar sentiments in the comment section of my recent article, but I also want to post here. [No comment from me on copyrights and patents, because I don't believe in them and I don't support their infrastructure.]

theymos, thank you. I considered those issues as well prior to accepting the offer to join the board (and the specific direction is still being debated in multiple venues such as this forum). The success and organization of the Tor Project had a lot to do with my decision.

As a libertarian and non-Statist on the Foundation board, I think that other libertarians and non-Statists would mostly agree that a transparent organization is preferable to a 'single anointed individual' that can select the next 'single anointed individual' in a non-transparent fashion (the community never voiced their opinion on Gavin taking over lead role for Satoshi — it just happened). Although it has worked out well, no one can guarantee the longevity of Gavin in that role.

Open source software is actually more vulnerable to discreet State pressures and random bribery when only one, or a few, steer core protocol development without any community input on succession planning. A centralized individual is more corruptible than a group and the foundation is actually a step towards de-centralization in that regard.

Additionally, I would think that bitcoin users in general would welcome a check-and-balance on the core development group that may or may not have been involved in receiving clandestine compensation on the side. Of course, nothing prevents that from occurring now or in the future but I believe that an accountable, nonprofit foundation would decrease its likelihood.

Come on Jon, I thought better of you.

You got it all backwards. Open source is incorruptible as long as people remain vigilant. It's impossible to sneak something malicious into the code even if some developer is getting paid on the side - if people pay attention. What you have done now is actually weaken this vigilance because a lot of the user base is going to rely on you - the board members - to be vigilant for them.

We had checks and balances - the open source code anyone could read, and everyone was forced to read if they wanted to make sure.

Now we have a political centralized service provider (the structure of which ensures that corporate + founders always have the majority) that only part of the community supports and that wants to be the face of something they have no control over, they have no ownership over and are going to give a false sense of security to some users diminishing the vigilance that will be necessary to protect the core of Bitcoin.

If this Foundation is really such a wonderful idea why then did you keep it's formation (founders, bylaws, mission statement, allocation of salaries, ect) private? Why didn't you open a public thread on this forum and let everyone have an input how such an organization, if one was wanted or warranted in the first place, should be structured.

I'm sorry but I don't like what you did with this Foundation one bit because I don't trust that you'll do what is best for my own personal interest because I do not pay you and I didn't give you my explicit consent arranged with a contract to do so. All I can do now is hope you remain powerless and hope that I am left alone to experience Bitcoin as I wish. And judging by history of mankind I get the sense this hope is all in vain.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:54:05 AM

I agree with this.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Polvos

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:58:45 AM

I agree with this.

Ok, put this wherever you want. Let's transform the newcomers right to inform themselves in a much difficult task. What about deleting all the newbies section and only linking there to the bitcoin foundation main page?

What about giving us, the low profile complainers, the same month time the "major announcement hype" thread was fucking around here?

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 10:02:27 AM

Who the fuck is Peter Vessenes and what gives him the right to represent this community/economy?
Heh. I was thinking the same after I saw his post.

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:12:55 AM

The English Foundation.

This is a foundation dedicated to US English. I can't tell but I don't think they even invented English, they seem to be co-opting it for their purposes after the fact and I fear it will get worse.

Do you want to bet that one year from now, if this organization is still up, many newbies coming by will believe "Bitcoin was created by the Bitcoin Foundation" or that the "Bitcoin Foundation decides the roadmap for the Bitcoin project and are responsible for it" etc? Or even that journalists will say such things?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 10:18:08 AM

Any impression that bitcoin is under US jurisdiction should be avoided. Id rather the bitcoin foundation was based in Iceland which recently told the banksters to fuck off.

phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:20:18 AM

Id rather the bitcoin foundation was based in Iceland which recently told the banksters to fuck off.
this foundation is not the only nonprofit bitcoin foundation. so, don't worry.
having more than one (us, eu, somewhere else) is also certainly in the spirit of decentralization. i hope this foundation respects that and fosters collaboration between all those foundations.
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:58:29 AM

is there any difference between the industry membership levels?
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:02:56 AM

The Foundation runs itself. No one owns it. It's a registered non-profit based in DC and holds elections.

In 2 years from now, the board could be completely new. You could be on it.

Only two years in the Bitcoin universe... few months are sufficient to severely damage Bitcoin with your elitist BS.
phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:22:47 AM

ew months are sufficient to severely damage Bitcoin with your elitist BS.
but certainly less damaging than ongoing ponzi and drug related activities.
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:23:27 AM

Only two years in the Bitcoin universe... few months are sufficient to severely damage Bitcoin with your elitist BS.

This kind of language is also damaging. You want to benefit Bitcoin? Be constructive, not destructive!
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:27:32 AM

ew months are sufficient to severely damage Bitcoin with your elitist BS.
but certainly less damaging than ongoing ponzi and drug related activities.

I am actually *much* more worried by this bitcoin foundation than by all the ponzi's, scams, etc. I think the foundation will trick a LOT more people into thinking it is something that it's not than any ponzi or scam ever could.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: