Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:20:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:46:26 PM

You are trying to limit what people can and can't do with their bitcoins and their right to form a collective. You are the kind of person who is trying to shackle peoples' freedoms in the name of keeping bitcoin "pure" and holding up the bitcoin community as if it were the state.

He can't actually limit anyone's right to form a collective or a development cabal. He's just whining that nobody in the foundation is doing what he wants.

I thought I was on your faggy, ball-less ignore list?

He can still see me quoting you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shad0wbitz

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:46:49 PM

You are trying to limit what people can and can't do with their bitcoins and their right to form a collective. You are the kind of person who is trying to shackle peoples' freedoms in the name of keeping bitcoin "pure" and holding up the bitcoin community as if it were the state.

This community IS the Bitcoin state. Am I trying to limit freedoms? How about a group of few powerful players declaring they are "THE" Bitcoin foundation without any input from the actual Bitcoin community?

Perhaps paying a visit to the CIA to suck some establishment dick will earn me the noble tittle of "Freedom Defender"

GOX SUX COX!
The true faces of the Bitcoinica / Intersango SCAM! - Bitcoin was born in the shad0ws, for the shad0ws.
boonies4u

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:53:14 PM

This community IS the Bitcoin state. Am I trying to limit freedoms? How about a group of few declaring they are "THE" Bitcoin foundation without any input from the actual Bitcoin community?

Perhaps paying a visit to the CIA to suck some establishment dick will earn me the noble tittle of "Freedom Defender"

They have their rights to declare themselves as whatever they wish! There is no cyber bitcoin police to tell them to stop. All you can do is complain, whine, and not consider their declaration as valid.

How can you be a fucking "Freedom Defender" when you support the mob rule and fucking consider the Bitcoin Community as THE STATE! You think that being a member of the community means you're special? This community isn't the state! It's not Judicial, Legislative, nor Executive! It's a fucking group of people who use, contribute, and support bitcoin.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:57:20 PM

This community IS the Bitcoin state. Am I trying to limit freedoms? How about a group of few declaring they are "THE" Bitcoin foundation without any input from the actual Bitcoin community?

They have their rights to declare themselves as whatever they wish! There is no cyber bitcoin police to tell them to stop. All you can do is complain, whine, and not consider their declaration as valid.

How can you be a fucking "Freedom Defender" when you support the mob rule and fucking consider the Bitcoin Community as THE STATE! You think that being a member of the community means you're special? This community isn't the state! It's not Judicial, Legislative, nor Executive! It's a fucking group of people who use, contribute, and support bitcoin.

Some want to link Bitcoin with government interests. Some want it to be more easily leashed. We are against the potential authoritarians that can lead this organization and evolve Bitcoin into a form more akin to regular, regulated money.

Some of us will be against this all the way.
shad0wbitz

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:57:41 PM

I was using a figure of speech of course, something your limited brain fails to grasp. IF Bitcoin had a state, this is it: it's constituents.

According to your statement, supporting the rule of the few and powerful against the "mob rule" is freedom fighting? You do understand basic structures of power and ruling right?

GOX SUX COX!
The true faces of the Bitcoinica / Intersango SCAM! - Bitcoin was born in the shad0ws, for the shad0ws.
shad0wbitz

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 07:00:45 PM

Some want to link Bitcoin with government interests. Some want it to be more easily leashed. We are against the potential authoritarians that can lead this organization and evolve Bitcoin into a form more akin to regular, regulated money.

Some of us will be against this all the way.

YES, and I must ad that somebody on my other thread supporting the foundation (I believe it was casascius) said he supported it because bankers, paypal, etc need "a hand to shake" .... This is at the end of the day the simple purpose of this foundation: to go against everything Bitcoin represents.

GOX SUX COX!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 07:05:10 PM

The problem I have with this Foundation is that it asserted itself over this experiment and the community. No one asked you to. No one gave you permission. You just did it. You created a corporation to wield power no one granted you.

THIS! HEAR HEAR!

The problem with both you and shad0wbitz (which ive pointed out many times) is that you assume the foundation is assering itself, you assume we are wielding power which in fact we are not.

Its not a complicated structure to understand and you can create your own foundation to help further Bitcoin.

Foundation has no power or control, and no one owns the foundation its owned by you. Like I said, when elections come the whole board can be replaced and you can be on it

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:07:38 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 07:20:03 PM by jgarzik

Bitcoin needs protection from the Powers That Be until it is successfully established.  Right now, bitcoin is weak, and needs as much protection as possible until it is thoroughly engrained, established within our world.  This is the same reason why Satoshi did not want wikileaks donations.

Think long game, people.

Bitcoin is a new, game-changing concept for the world.  It potentially means monetary freedom for millions (billions?).  We have had a decentralized world currency before -- gold -- but bitcoin has many features even gold does not provide.  You cannot memorize gold (brain wallet) and transport it with complete privacy.

Bitcoin is more stable than some real-world African fiat currencies.  Mobile phone technology is rapidly spreading across Africa, to even places where electricity and Internet do not reach.  Monetary freedom provided by bitcoin could transform lives in Africa today.

Bitcoin enables border-free remittances for near-zero cost, enabling rich Asian and Western countries to send their poorer relatives bitcoins -- less money for the Western Union middlemen, and more for your relatives.

Most of all, bitcoin is a truly unique, young gem of an experiment:  a currency (commodity?) supply that will slowly increase to 21M, then remain.  A decentralized currency, whose supply is validated by the global userbase and not adjusted at a whim by an elite few central bankers.

That experiment deserves time to take root and grow.

A heterogeneous mix of nation-state and decentralized currencies will provide a healthy check-and-balance ecosystem for world currencies.  With greater knowledge born of field experience and competition, each currency may learn from the other.

If the Bitcoin Foundation can buy bitcoin some time to get established, while staying true to the original Satoshi vision (decentralized, global, 21M), it seems worth it.  There is no objective evidence that any of the founding members have or want to deviate from Satoshi's vision.

A decentralized, join-if-you-like foundation works well, and is an established model proven successful in other open source projects like Tor or Linux.  If you have multiple parties who might have conflicts of interest, organizing a neutral entity is a logical step.  However kind, it is ethically questionable for Intel or AMD to directly pay Linus Torvalds' salary.  The Linux Foundation exists as a neutral entity, neutral ground where otherwise competitive interests meet for the good of the ecosystem.  It does not erase conflicts of interest, but does serve as an open, transparent body of action.

If any of us ever deviates from Satoshi's core vision... fire us.  Please.  Satoshi gave you the power.  Refuse to upgrade or choose a new client.  Vote with your feet, your computer and your wallet.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:07:55 PM

The problem I have with this Foundation is that it asserted itself over this experiment and the community. No one asked you to. No one gave you permission. You just did it. You created a corporation to wield power no one granted you.

THIS! HEAR HEAR!

The problem with both you and shad0wbitz (which ive pointed out many times) is that you assume the foundation is assering itself, you assume we are wielding power which in fact we are not.

Its not a complicated structure to understand and you can create your own foundation to help further Bitcoin.

Foundation has no power or control, and no one owns the foundation its owned by you. Like I said, when elections come the whole board can be replaced and you can be on it

-Charlie

This contradicts your Executive Directors statement in regards to standards. You guys want to make standards for security and the Bitcoin protocol. You are asserting yourself in many ways, especially with your proposed certifications and the cost it takes for businesses to join.

Your foundation will eventually gain power if the industries within form trusts to control the message and force competitors out of its veil of legitimacy.
boonies4u

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:12:48 PM

I was using a figure of speech of course, something your limited brain fails to grasp. IF Bitcoin had a state, this is it: it's constituents.

According to your statement, supporting the rule of the few and powerful against the "mob rule" is freedom fighting? You do understand basic structures of power and ruling right?

I was saying that the "mob rule" should not be used to undermine a voluntary collective. I was not supporting, or saying you should support the rule of a few. I was just saying the mob should not be used to control and regulate the few.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 07:13:05 PM

THIS! HEAR HEAR!

-Charlie

This contradicts your Executive Directors statement in regards to standards. You guys want to make standards for security and the Bitcoin protocol. You are asserting yourself in many ways, especially with your proposed certifications and the cost it takes for businesses to join.

Your foundation will eventually gain power if the industries within form trusts to control the message and force competitors out of its veil of legitimacy.

Matt,

That has nothing to do with power

Again, all you do is assume without facts.

" Your foundation will eventually gain power"

It's not my foundation, its YOUR foundation, Ive stated this many times.
We cant gain power, in fact we cannot do anything outside the bylaws.

The certifications are for anyone to join and use. If you dont like it, don't join it or start your own foundation.

If you have problems, join the board, and enjoy

Have a great day

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:15:10 PM

Those of you against 'The Foundation', consider this:

You're on Atlas' side.

Just think about that for a moment.
boonies4u

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:16:13 PM

You're on Atlas' side.

Hitler was a vegetarian. Try to not be so blatantly manipulative.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 07:17:56 PM

You're on Atlas' side.

Hitler was a vegetarian. Try to not be so blatantly manipulative.

You are my hero lol

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:18:42 PM

Godwins law!

(or has it already occured here?)
hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:24:34 PM

Will Gavin leave your Foudation and join mine?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 07:27:25 PM

Hell, I'll leave this foundation and join yours if I like it  Grin

I hate to keep having to point this out but its NOT MY foundation.

Your statement should say "Will Gavin leave the current Foudation and a newer one that I helped put together?"

boonies4u

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:28:12 PM

Would Gavin even be required to leave TBF to join a different Foundation?
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:29:42 PM

We cant gain power, in fact we cannot do anything outside the bylaws.

What exactly is excluded by your bylaws then anyway, especially since they are written so open ended:

ARTICLE II - PURPOSES

Section 2.1 Purposes: The Corporation is an association of persons having a common business interest, the purpose of which is to promote that common business interest and to engage in any lawful activity permitted under section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code. More specifically, the purposes of the Corporation include, but are not limited to, promotion, protection, and standardization of distributed-digital currency and transactions systems including the Bitcoin system as well as similar and related technologies.

The way I read this you can do whatever you want as long as you follow the current or future US laws which basically can be anything. How is that a limitation in any way shape or form?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:31:36 PM

Would Gavin even be required to leave TBF to join a different Foundation?

Well let's see, you have a foundation that is called the Bitcoin Foudation with the lead dev and his team and then you have something else foundation without the lead dev and his team. Which one do you think can accomplish more and which one do you think wont even be taken seriously if there ever should be a conflict?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: