Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:14:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:04:31 PM

According to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113509.0:

Do you support the launch of the Bitcoin Foundation?
Yes - 55.1% (49/89)
No - 25.8% (23/89)
Not decided yet - 19.1% (17/89)

This is a useless poll.

It can be easily manipulated by starting multiple accounts...
A proper poll mechanism should be written, which only allows individuals with proper reputation (minimum 2 months on the forum, minimum ~100 posts) to vote.

The only other option is to vote by posting posts, and later only the votes or reputable people will be counted.

Newbies unable to vote here.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 10:05:15 PM

Nobody knows what Satoshi wanted, or what his ideas about things like a Bitcoin foundation would be.

The fact is that Gavin took Bitcoin where Satoshi couldn't, by giving it a face. I think a Bitcoin Foundation can do an even better job for that. If Satoshi would return, I'm sure his opinion would be held very highly, but Bitcoin is no longer just what Satoshi created; right now, we all help building it. If you wonder about Satoshi's intentions, don't forget that he was against alternative implementations...

EDIT: To clarify, I mean alternative fully validating nodes. Not alternative wallets in general.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:07:53 PM

Nobody knows what Satoshi wanted, or what his ideas about things like a Bitcoin foundation would be.

The fact is that Gavin took Bitcoin where Satoshi couldn't, by giving it a face. I think a Bitcoin Foundation can do an even better job for that. If Satoshi would return, I'm sure his opinion would be held very highly, but Bitcoin is no longer just what Satoshi created; right now, we all help building it. If you wonder about Satoshi's intentions, don't forget that he was against alternative implementations...

No, he wasn't. He mistakenly advocated MyBitcoin.
Atlas

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:08:46 PM

Anyways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

This is what Bitcoin is today. Soak it in.

As for one client of many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoind
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:09:28 PM

The fact is that Gavin took Bitcoin where Satoshi couldn't, by giving it a face.

Which many consider a bad thing...

I think a Bitcoin Foundation can do an even better job for that.

Which then would be an even worse thing.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 10:10:36 PM

If you wonder about Satoshi's intentions, don't forget that he was against alternative implementations...

Which - at the time, and as far as I know - didn't use an alternative implementation.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:12:52 PM

Sorry, but Satoshi did appoint Gavin as his successor. I'm not sure that is even relevant, though.

It's not.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Atlas

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:13:47 PM

If you wonder about Satoshi's intentions, don't forget that he was against alternative implementations...

Which - at the time, and as far as I know - didn't use an alternative implementation.

Very well. I know nothing. I concede.
Atlas

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:15:58 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2012, 10:38:34 PM by Atlas

The fact is that Gavin took Bitcoin where Satoshi couldn't, by giving it a face.

Which many consider a bad thing...

I think a Bitcoin Foundation can do an even better job for that.

Which then would be an even worse thing.

It's bad because if the entire ecosystem becomes dependent on this face for development, marketing and other things, it will be hard to switch to a successor if the current head does poorly.

Additionally, if a higher power targets this face, it could possibly force the whole Bitcoin ecosystem to convert through influence.

I've said this before but I ought to make it clear.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:50:48 PM

As to the name...  come up with a better one that (a) doesn't sound lame and (b) doesn't sound ominous to other forum denizens.
"Bitcoin Advocacy Group", "Bitcoin Supporters Group", "Bitcoin Development Group", "Bitcoin Club" are some that just came out of my mind, and I don't see these names misleading people, nor do they sound presumptuous to me. I'm sure more creative people, with some time of thinking, could definitely come out with something better.

I have to admit i like these names better, and they fit the official description better than "The Bitcoin Foundation". Since the statutes contain physical presence and meetings, and refers to state jurisdiction and the bylaws state: (a District of Columbia non-profit corporation) even a name like "Bitcoin Columbia" would be very fine.

obviously i am prejudiced because of bitcoin-austria which has similar goals (minus the funding and fancy names)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:55:14 PM

Bitcoin only exists because of Satoshi's will and hardwork. Without Satoshi, there would be no Bitcoin.

So? It's here now, no one owns it, thus the discussion should be about what's best for Bitcoin going forward. Theorizing about what one person *would've* wanted or intended is simply not relevant.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13013

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:55:55 PM

Well, I sincerely doubt an absolute leadership role, Linus Torvalds-style was intended. Not even Satoshi made himself appear that way.

Satoshi had absolute control over the bitcoin.org client, and he discouraged people from creating alternative clients. He tended to view the Bitcoin network as being equivalent to the Bitcoin software which he controlled. He once asked me to refrain from posting publicly about him changing a hard network rule. I have little doubt that he would have handled the P2SH issue by just quietly adding the code to the client, not waiting for miners to "agree" as Gavin did.

Not that any of this is necessarily bad, but it seems you remember Satoshi as being different than he actually was.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:58:41 PM

Satoshi is female. Only an organism with a vagina can make something so beautiful.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:00:10 PM

Jeez guys, you wanna start your own no-girls-invited Bitcoin club? Just grab a thesaurus and squat a domain. This is way overblown.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Atlas

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:09:07 PM

Well, I sincerely doubt an absolute leadership role, Linus Torvalds-style was intended. Not even Satoshi made himself appear that way.

Satoshi had absolute control over the bitcoin.org client, and he discouraged people from creating alternative clients. He tended to view the Bitcoin network as being equivalent to the Bitcoin software which he controlled. He once asked me to refrain from posting publicly about him changing a hard network rule. I have little doubt that he would have handled the P2SH issue by just quietly adding the code to the client, not waiting for miners to "agree" as Gavin did.

Not that any of this is necessarily bad, but it seems you remember Satoshi as being different than he actually was.

Indeed. I apologize.
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:16:36 PM

It is moot to speculate on a good naming since the decision is already made, but here are some more name ideas in case someone wants to set up another bitcoin organisation and to get them out of my head i have to write them down.

sorted by seriousness:

Bitcoin benefactors
Bitbenefactory
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin confraternity
Coinfraternity
Bitcoin syndicate
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin workshop
Bitcoin collective
Bitcoin consortium (maybe same semantic problems as foundation)
Bitcoin association (same..)
Bitcoin pool (well, not a mining pool)
Bitcoin endowment
Bitcoin amalgamation/conglutination (ok... its getting ridiculous)

what is aparently bothering a very vocal minority is the word "The" in the name. Simply "Bitcoin Foundation" would sound much more humble and innocent.

That said, i think its really great to see some seriousness in the Bitcoin world, which is really needed. Also having a solid model for funding the development is needed and will enable long-term prosperity for the whole industry. I could criticize some minor details about the genesis of this organisation but i leave that to others who apparently like to spend a lot of time in this thread Smiley
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:25:44 PM

It is moot to speculate on a good naming since the decision is already made, but here are some more name ideas in case someone wants to set up another bitcoin organisation and to get them out of my head i have to write them down.

sorted by seriousness:

Bitcoin benefactors
Bitbenefactory
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin confraternity
Coinfraternity
Bitcoin syndicate
Bitcoin union
Bitcoin workshop
Bitcoin collective
Bitcoin consortium (maybe same semantic problems as foundation)
Bitcoin association (same..)
Bitcoin pool (well, not a mining pool)
Bitcoin endowment
Bitcoin amalgamation/conglutination (ok... its getting ridiculous)

what is aparently bothering a very vocal minority is the word "The" in the name. Simply "Bitcoin Foundation" would sound much more humble and innocent.

That said, i think its really great to see some seriousness in the Bitcoin world, which is really needed. Also having a solid model for funding the development is needed and will enable long-term prosperity for the whole industry. I could criticize some minor details about the genesis of this organisation but i leave that to others who apparently like to spend a lot of time in this thread Smiley

You said bitcoin union twice.
Atlas

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:27:59 PM

The Andresen Foundation for Bitcoin Development
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 11:36:58 PM

I kinda like this one, lol seriously!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:38:00 PM

I kinda like this one, lol seriously!

Yeah me too.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: