Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:21:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 08:29:43 PM

it would be easy to hide the user-name for non-members

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 08:32:22 PM

it would be easy to hide the user-name for non-members

yes, was just going to make this point. You could obfuscate usernames of members in the read-only non-members version.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 08:36:53 PM

Somebody could sign up as a member and then try to screen-scrape and republish everything somewhere, so members should assume that whatever they say will eventually be public. And the membership might still decide that read-only for non-members is the right thing to do-- I agree that it could be a good way to attract new members, if the quality of conversation is high.

This could be something that should be asked from the members, at the forum at least. I don't have anything against a read-only forum but I don't know about other members. I think the members should decide something like this.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 09:12:38 PM

Foundation Members, check your emails.  Invites to the members-only BTC foundation forum have been sent out.

The fellowship of the coin...

Hahaha.

They just wish to pretend they r elitists. Let's leave them alone, I hope they won't hurt Bitcoin much.
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 09:25:38 PM

OK just signed up to the foundation forum to put my money where my mouth is and start a poll over there to allow read only access (with obfuscated member usernames for privacy) for non-members.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 09:28:16 PM

Foundation Members, check your emails.  Invites to the members-only BTC foundation forum have been sent out.

The fellowship of the coin...

Hahaha.

They just wish to pretend they r elitists. Let's leave them alone, I hope they won't hurt Bitcoin much.

That's why I said we need to also establish Litecoin in the marketplace. Any screwups the Bitcoin Foundation makes won't affect litecoins, yet it can piggyback on all the success.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 10:49:33 PM

It will be interesting to see how the secret collusion of public policy makers and private businesses play out when its attached to an open source project.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 02:45:21 AM

As Gavin said, absolutely nothing is secret about a place where you can pay 3 bitcoins and gain yearly access. It is a small amount to pay if you are even remotely interested in bitcoins future, and does serve as a filter to prevent blatant rules abuse. Elitist for 30$? Sorry, SanFrancisco bums laugh at you.

I personally do not like real name policy of the forum, but also I don't have to post sensitive information there, can just participate in the voting, so it's not a huge problem. If it did allow going with a nickname, then there would be no problem with opening access. However, real name + search bots = not good, will completely stop any posts from foundation members who are not yet public and were not planning to become such.

i am satoshi
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 03:19:31 AM

As Gavin said, absolutely nothing is secret about a place where you can pay 3 bitcoins and gain yearly access. It is a small amount to pay if you are even remotely interested in bitcoins future, and does serve as a filter to prevent blatant rules abuse. Elitist for 30$? Sorry, SanFrancisco bums laugh at you.

I personally do not like real name policy of the forum, but also I don't have to post sensitive information there, can just participate in the voting, so it's not a huge problem. If it did allow going with a nickname, then there would be no problem with opening access. However, real name + search bots = not good, will completely stop any posts from foundation members who are not yet public and were not planning to become such.

Bitcoins are not dollars.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 03:28:24 AM

Have fun in your little club, cause when Mark and Charlie have BUSINESS SEATS that have no checks and balances for 2 YEARS, that scares me and should scare everyone else. Cause right now Bitinstant and MT Gox, can edge out companies in their respectful niches and position themselves very nicely for the future. So spend your 2.5 bitcoins to be able to help them get even richer, and hinder bitcoin big business.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 04:57:50 AM

Have fun in your little club, cause when Mark and Charlie have BUSINESS SEATS that have no checks and balances for 2 YEARS, that scares me and should scare everyone else. Cause right now Bitinstant and MT Gox, can edge out companies in their respectful niches and position themselves very nicely for the future. So spend your 2.5 bitcoins to be able to help them get even richer, and hinder bitcoin big business.

How can they "edge out companies"?  How?  What magical powers do you imagine this foundation possesses?

(Caveat: your answer must not assume that everyone is as dumb as you)

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:38:17 AM

How can they "edge out companies"?  How?  What magical powers do you imagine this foundation possesses?

Thanks for your little message, you just make yourself look dumb by hiding it like a 13yrs old behind my back. Don't you think that all there employees are in the bitcoin foundation, and have voting rights. It isn't magic is called "position" and they are in two very powerful positions, in there seats. There are no checks and balances in this foundation. The members of this foundation are easily swayed, as both for the most part are very popular. If I created the foundation I would have no business people holding any more power than the population, to be honest even gavin has more power than he should. The people on the foundation should have nothing to gain, but wanting to spread the word of bitcoin. While bitinstant and mt gox are great services and spread the word of bitcoin very well, they have too much riding on bitcoin. This is where the foundation will fail and become corrupt if you don't believe me then so be it, and continue to suck on nipple of foundation as they pretend to be transparent.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

They can turn computer code into money. That's like alchemy, which is a form of magic.

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:53:17 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2012, 06:52:45 AM by cunicula

... There are no checks and balances in this foundation. ...
Why not introduce checks and balances through radical reform?

I've went over this long before there was talk of a foundation (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75029.0), but I'll reiterate.

The way the foundation should be coded into the blockchain and operate as follows:

1) The head of the foundation is elected by bitcoin owners.                                        (the head is just a bitcoin address)
2) Bitcoin owners vote to levy a tax on all bitcoin txns in order to fund the foundation.    (the tax is just block reward and/or txn fees paid to the elected address
                                                                                                                        Bitcoin owners decide whether to pay nothing, a little, or a lot to the address).

Positive Consequences:
1) If the foundation is useless, then bitcoin owners can vote to close it by depriving it of all funding.
2) If the foundation is sound, but the head is useless, then bitcoin owners can vote in a new head.
3) If (1) or (2) are true, but users don't realize it, then outside investors can buy up bitcoin and do (1) and/or (2). If the outside investors are right they can sell out at a profit.
4) Because of (1) and (2), the foundation needs to provide useful services to get a paycheck.
5) Because of (3), the foundation faces the threat of competition with other organizational structures.
6) Selfish users are not allowed to free ride.
7) The foundation serves the entire community, not just special interests who offer bribes.
Cool Contributors are completely anonymous. In theory the foundation could be anonymous too.
betafall

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 06:10:22 AM

I will not join anything that requires my real name to be visible to anyone with access to a particular forum. Period.

I was on the fence about joining, not anymore. I think its wonderful certain people want their real names associated with Bitcoin. I don't.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 12:13:21 PM

Thanks for your little message, you just make yourself look dumb by hiding it like a 13yrs old behind my back. Don't you think that all there employees are in the bitcoin foundation, and have voting rights. It isn't magic is called "position" and they are in two very powerful positions, in there seats. There are no checks and balances in this foundation. The members of this foundation are easily swayed, as both for the most part are very popular. If I created the foundation I would have no business people holding any more power than the population, to be honest even gavin has more power than he should. The people on the foundation should have nothing to gain, but wanting to spread the word of bitcoin. While bitinstant and mt gox are great services and spread the word of bitcoin very well, they have too much riding on bitcoin. This is where the foundation will fail and become corrupt if you don't believe me then so be it, and continue to suck on nipple of foundation as they pretend to be transparent.

Ugh.  What power?  That's what I'm asking you.  I'm not asking you to repeat your position that there are magical powers involved, I'm asking you "What power?".

P.S.  It was hardly behind your back.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 04:54:05 PM

I will not join anything that requires my real name to be visible to anyone with access to a particular forum. Period.

I was on the fence about joining, not anymore. I think its wonderful certain people want their real names associated with Bitcoin. I don't.
Anonymity is something very good in certain cases and very convenient. Everybody should have the right to be anonymous if they want to, no doubt about that. But if you want undecided people to believe you, at the end of the day, you have to stand by your real name. Period.

All we must be grateful to people using their real names on every bitcoin forum (incl. BTCF) because they will be the ones that will take most of the storm when fiat money oligarchy hits back. But thats the human nature you know... There is a Chinese saying - When the wind of change blows some people build shelters while others build windmills!

So, stand by your name but if only there is necessity. Bitcoin Foundation is such a necessity.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:30:05 PM

Ugh.  What power?  That's what I'm asking you.  I'm not asking you to repeat your position that there are magical powers involved, I'm asking you "What power?".

P.S.  It was hardly behind your back.

Obviously you can't read and maybe english isn't your first language but I clearly say what power. I am not repeating my self for a third time.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:52:47 PM

Any update from the Foundation? Whats up?

more or less retired.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:57:14 PM

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: