Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:59:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Smooth unethical / unprofessional / in conflict-of-interest when he posts 100s of the same repeated scam accusations on his competitor's threads on a daily basis.
Yes - Because if his attacks succeed against his competitors, his own coin/investment will benefit, he has a vested interest - 99 (54.1%)
No - there is no conflict of interest when a coin dev repeatedly accuses his competitors of being scams on their threads. - 51 (27.9%)
None of the above - 33 (18%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR/AEON Developer Smooth Investigation  (Read 20920 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:33:14 PM

Maybe it is designed to take out all the other CN clones except the market leader to clear out the system to two coins both controlled by "trusted leadership"?

Does sort of make one wonder if smooth was trying to prove that cryptocurrency is dead because it can be cloned and siphon value.

But it could also be that Monero may be planning to change its anonymity algorithm from CN to this new thing that mixes all the transactions in the block, so maybe AEON will retain the CN functionality and so he can invest on both technologies.

And then he needs to invest in mine too  Grin

Hey what is the problem with competition?

I do think you have a point though that it is better to invest in a coin where the lead developer is totally committed. And that lead dev is committed to improving only his ecosystem to stay ahead of the competition. I find that to be a valid point. Who is that developer for Monero? fluffypony?

I think the main issue you had with him is whether he is excessively expending time repeating criticisms over and over in other coins' threads. Again that is a subjective criticism.

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blobafett2 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:37:52 PM

Then stop with your "they are wrong" stuff.

sheesh.

Who is wrong?

Masternodes are not autonomous anonymity. I have no comment about other bells and whistles implemented with masternodes. Haven't studied those new features.

blobafett2 claims (quite rightly) that masternodes are simply incentivized full nodes that provide extra functionality.  One of these functions is mixing.  Nowhere did he say that masternodes ARE autonomous anonymity.

I (unsurprisingly) disagree about masternodes - segmenting the Bitcoin network topology into multi-tiers that can be incetivized and used to build apps & services on top (integrated mixing being the first service, instant transactions another, blockchain funded development / governance being the next) - fixes a major gap / missed opportunity in Bitcoin's architecture and, coupled with my confidence in the professionalism & ethics of the dev team and their consistent delivery performance, is the reason I invest in Dash - just to state that, and just my opinion.

I have not looked at that feature.

It will be very counter productive to try to convince Dash supporters who believe in such features that they are wrong.

But I never said they are wrong. So why did you tell me to stop with "they are wrong"?

P.S. Masternodes have a complex description and I am not sure any of us entirely understand them. Last time I checked they were things you could buy. That changes the economics. They are not nodes paid with proof-of-work shares. I don't even have time to go analyze such an adhoc design (with copious tweaks to their meaning and functionality along the way I assume) and try to characterize what they really are formally.

In computer science we understand adhoc design = no design or flying blind.

I don't think it's an ad hoc design, as I understand it, it's just taking an existing p2p topology and classifying a section of the nodes to be able to preform higher functions / form  their own mesh internally and then incentivize them and a quorum system for tie it together, and then building various applications/services on top of that.  Most P2P networks have multi-tiers, e.g. Skype promotes end-nodes to super-nodes to route more traffic if you have a good connection... in P2P network design, Bitcoin is notable for *not* having multi-tiers.  That's why I say it's a missing feature from Bitcoin which just has a single tier of fullnodes essentially, maybe Satoshi would have implemented it too if he was still around, it's not rocket science. (but I guess a lot of people never looked into it because Dash thread is 80% FUD, maybe the FUDsters 'get it'?) Cheesy 
minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:42:23 PM

I would REALLY ask myself, why two different coins?

Why wouldn't I just focus my efforts on one coin and make it the best out there?

My suspicion is that AEON represents nice upside - it has only ~2% of Monero's market cap, but 99% of it's released features.  Using his reputation and position as a Monero core dev, quite easy for Smooth to start building up AEON, and with the lack of any real difference to the feature set from Monero, and with Moneo's own dev working 5x more on Aeon than Monero, AEON suddenly becomes an attractive buy and up goes the market cap....and Smooth was in, quietly (until I started pointing out), at the start.  Of course, just my opinion.

Makes sense, of course coins need to have at least one dedicated developer (developing new features, not a new GUI or something S### like that, that's not a real developer), or they become another "shitcoin" over time or right away.
And there's the "money talking" of course, that's usually the main reason...  Shocked
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:43:55 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 04:02:58 PM by TPTB_need_war

I don't think it's an ad hoc design, it's just taking an existing p2p topology and classifying a section of the nodes to be able to preform higher functions / form internally their own mesh and then incentivize them and a quorum system for tie it together, and then building various applications/services on top of that.  Most P2P networks have multi-tiers, e.g. Skype promotes end-nodes to super-nodes to route more traffic if you have a good connection... in P2P network design, Bitcoin is notable for *not* having multi-tiers.  That's why I say it's a missing feature from Bitcoin which just has a single tier of fullnodes essentially, maybe Satoshi would have implemented it too if he was still around, it's not rocket science.  

Except P2P networks are not Byzantine fault tolerant against Sybil attacks.

Skycoin's white paper proves that only need 0.9% of the top-tier nodes to take over a reputation linked network.

And wikipedia also documents that virtual synchrony is not Byzantine fault tolerant.

If you are just doing a vote (quorum), then isn't essentially proof-of-stake which can be gamed unless the entropy is unbounded.

Again if I had an incentive I could try to follow all that and explain why it is unsound. But I don't have an incentive. So you all can proceed with adhoc design if that is what you want to believe will win. I believe those with higher scholarly knowledge will win. We understand what Byzantine fault tolerance means.

Again I am not saying you are wrong, because I haven't studied Dash lately and I don't have time to. It is giant obfuscation for me to try to dig into. Does even have a stable white paper that justifies the Byzantine fault tolerance?

Smooth gets it...

... and do, make subtle changes to their systems when presented with flaws, or order to "fix" the flaws. In formal and security analysis, any change, however subtle, means the analysis needs to be completely redone. Obviously you can see how this might make it infeasible to keep up with every new variation and show how each and every one of them are broken in specific detail.

Nevertheless it is possible to analyze these systems in broad terms and reach conclusions in terms of general principles, such as needing to consume some external resource (i.e. proof of "work", broadly) in order to reach a decentralized consensusmaintain unbounded entropy...

blobafett2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 04:01:34 PM

I don't think it's an ad hoc design, it's just taking an existing p2p topology and classifying a section of the nodes to be able to preform higher functions / form internally their own mesh and then incentivize them and a quorum system for tie it together, and then building various applications/services on top of that.  Most P2P networks have multi-tiers, e.g. Skype promotes end-nodes to super-nodes to route more traffic if you have a good connection... in P2P network design, Bitcoin is notable for *not* having multi-tiers.  That's why I say it's a missing feature from Bitcoin which just has a single tier of fullnodes essentially, maybe Satoshi would have implemented it too if he was still around, it's not rocket science.  

Except P2P networks are not Byzantine fault tolerant against Sybil attacks.

Skycoin's white paper proves that only need 0.9% of the top-tier nodes to take over a reputation linked network.

And wikipedia also documents that virtual synchrony is not Byzantine fault tolerant.

If you are just doing a vote (quorum), then isn't essentially proof-of-stake which can be gamed unless the entropy is unbounded.

Again if I had an incentive I could try to follow all that and explain why it is unsound. But I don't have an incentive. So you all can proceed with adhoc design if that is what you want to believe will win. I believe those with higher scholarly knowledge will win. We understand what Byzantine fault tolerance means.

Again I am not saying you are wrong, because I haven't studied Dash lately and I don't have time to. It is giant obfuscation for me to try to dig into. Does even have a stable white paper that justifies the Byzantine fault tolerance?

I think that's where the collateral required comes in, you need 1000 Dash confirmed in the wallet for it to be able to function as a masternode.

There's some whitepapers / discussions from the OP: https://www.dashpay.io/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Dash-WhitepaperV1.pdf, https://dashtalk.org/threads/development-updates-july-15th.1788/, https://www.dashpay.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/InstantTX.pdf - not trying to sell Dash, just sharing the info in case you did feel any incentive to learn more about it.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 04:08:37 PM

Ping me again once there is a stable white paper for what is to actually be Dash. Seems like with the allusion to updates, they are still in flux and invention/tweaking mode. I'd prefer to read one time than have to reread again and again. But if I have extra time and curiousity, I will look at what you linked now. Thanks.

blobafett2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 04:12:27 PM

Maybe it is designed to take out all the other CN clones except the market leader to clear out the system to two coins both controlled by "trusted leadership"?

Does sort of make one wonder if smooth was trying to prove that cryptocurrency is dead because it can be cloned and siphon value.

But it could also be that Monero may be planning to change its anonymity algorithm from CN to this new thing that mixes all the transactions in the block, so maybe AEON will retain the CN functionality and so he can invest on both technologies.

And then he needs to invest in mine too  Grin

Hey what is the problem with competition?

I do think you have a point though that it is better to invest in a coin where the lead developer is totally committed. And that lead dev is committed to improving only his ecosystem to stay ahead of the competition. I find that to be a valid point. Who is that developer for Monero? fluffypony?

I think the main issue you had with him is whether he is excessively expending time repeating criticisms over and over in other coins' threads. Again that is a subjective criticism.

I agree with all that. My main issue is the repeating of critcisms yes, he's going around destroyig the conversation anywhere someone is investing in something he doesn't like.  

And after personally observing this for months, you get to see that the timing of it is basically, anything that looks like it's improving against Smooth's coin, suddenly becomes a "scam" that needs to have it's threads trashed.  Or for the regulars like Dash and BCN, they also get trashed just when Smooth's coin goes up or down on it's own, kind of like a drunk abusive husband taking his anger out on the rest of the family because he just lost at the races, or just won and decides to smash up the garden of his neighbour with the nicer house to get one up on them.

You can see just this week, VNL is becoming a large volume coin on Poloniex - it's go nothing to do with anonymity, but it is taking Monero volume on their main exchange, and lo and behold, up pops Smooth and the gang to trash talk it - I just posted about that here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151160.msg12131836#msg12131836

It's always the same story, which shows it's about the money and not "protecting people" - basically with VNL, Smooth and the gang saw a new coin taking precious Poloniex volume from Monero and didn't like it, and decided to go trash talk it down.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 04:18:17 PM

Well honestly I criticized VNL perhaps before smooth did I this week. It was because someone pinged me in PM asking my opinion. Then I was shocked to see there was no documentation of the zerotime algorithm which is the main claim. But now I need to go read the detailed zerotime paper just released to see if I need to rescind my criticism or not. I created extra work for myself, but maybe I will learn something so okay.

Btw, thanks for informing me about AEON.

This altcoin strategies world is quite stressful.

I am just hoping there is one set of designs that is so clearly superior that everyone for the most part just realizes it and capitulates without the need for any grinding animosity and tearing at each other. And I hope it is my design, lol  Grin

Peace.

blobafett2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Well honestly I attacked VNL before smooth did I think this week. It was because someone pinged me in PM asking my opinion. Then I was shocked to see there was no documentation of the zerotime algorithm which is the main claim. But now I need to go read the detailed zerotime paper just released to see if I need to rescind my criticism or not. I created extra work for myself, but maybe I will learn something so okay.

Btw, thanks for informing me about AEON.

This altcoin strategies world is quite stressful.

I am just hoping there is one set of designs that is so clearly superior that everyone for the most part just realizes it and capitulates without the need for any grinding animosity and tearing at each other. And I hope it is my design, lol  Grin

Peace.

Yeah, I haven't checked out VNL like you haven't with Dash, maybe I will take a look.  Thinking about it, all I read about VNL was Smooth's attack posts, which stopped me looking into it even though I am assuming it's all FUD to knock VNL back down the Poloniex volume list...maybe that is the real goal of the FUD, to try to create a bad name for something so new people don't look into it  Shocked

What's your project right now?
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 04:57:38 PM

to OP : if you could somehow by creating this topic keep smooth in here occupied instead of having him daily troll us at the Dash forum we would be in your debt sir  Grin
Pls carry on..

edit : damn, i almost forgot to vote.. fixed

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:22:27 PM

Sorry for asking this, but could somebody tell me
What are real "inventions/software inventions" in XMR and/or AEON? Or are they just a copy of some other coinbase.
Because real coders know how things work and not just code a new GUI or something like that, they make the code better, improve and develope new things.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:46:42 PM

What are real "inventions/software inventions" in XMR and/or AEON? Or are they just a copy of some other coinbase.
Because real coders know how things work and not just code a new GUI or something like that, they make the code better, improve and develope new things.

If you have 30 minutes of spare time I would advice you to watch this, basically explains how Monero (AEON) works -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVm1dMn5Ks

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:49:57 PM

If you have 30 minutes of spare time I would advice you to watch this, basically explains how Monero (AEON) works -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVm1dMn5Ks

that did not answer the question...
he ask if there is substantial difference between xmr / aeon and  other cryptonote or is it just clone ?

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:54:09 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 07:56:21 PM by smooth

This is veering off topic and I'm going to respect that even on this troll thread, but in short Monero has done an enormous amount of work to improve the code. I think fluffypony posted that something like 100K lines of code had been added or rewritten (I don't know the exact numbers). I know there have been >1000 commits in the main repo (and unlike the repos such as bitcoin forks, this does not include upstream commits -- that's 1000 actual Monero commits) plus unmerged work on other repos. Monero has also produced four MRL research reports, plus a few other mathy documents.

AEON is a much smaller and newer project in practical terms, as we've only been working on it for a few months with me as the only coder, part-time (we also have another team member but he is not a coder). In that time, there is a modified proof of work algorithm and slower block time (with a hard fork implemented to change these with zero observed disruption of the network), better connection management in the p2p, portability cleanups for low end hardware (some of these are from Monero, others will be pulled back up to Monero), some optimizations of speed and storage. AEON also addressed, in a novel way, the anonymity problems revealed by MRL-0001. In fact AEON likely has the strongest deployed anonymity of any coin today (aside from the important fact of not having much use which makes the anonymity sets small), though eventually Monero will get there too.

Better to follow up on the Monero/AEON threads please if you wan more detail.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:07:46 PM

This is veering off topic and I'm going to respect that even on this troll thread, but in short Monero has done an enormous amount of work to improve the code. I think fluffypony posted that something like 100K lines of code had been added or rewritten (I don't know the exact numbers). I know there have been >1000 commits in the main repo (and unlike the repos such as bitcoin forks, this does not include upstream commits -- that's 1000 actual Monero commits) plus the repos. Monero has also produced four MRL research reports, plus a few other mathy documents.

AEON is a much smaller and newer project in practical terms, as we've only been working on it for a few months with me as the only coder, part-time (we also have another team member but he is not a coder), I'm the only coder. In that time, there is a modified proof of work algorithm and slower block time (with a hard fork implemented to change these with zero observed disruption of the network), better connection management in the p2p, portability cleanups for low end hardware (some of these are from Monero, others will be pulled back up to Monero), some optimizations of speed and storage. AEON also addressed, in a novel way, the anonymity problems revealed by MRL-0001. In fact AEON likely has the strongest deployed anonymity of any coin today (aside from the important fact of not having much use which makes the anonymity sets small), though eventually Monero will get there too.

Smooth wouldn't be on point if you decided to share with us your personal motivation for taking on AEON (given you've been accused of doing it just to capture microcap vs. small cap growth rate advantage)? If you feel that is your private affairs, then my apologies in advance. No obligation to share that. Personally I am curious to know. Are you experimenting with new tech? Scratching your coding itch? Or what? Perhaps you've already stated it else where but I don't have time to search for it.

blobafett2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:30:59 PM

This is veering off topic and I'm going to respect that even on this troll thread, but in short Monero has done an enormous amount of work to improve the code. I think fluffypony posted that something like 100K lines of code had been added or rewritten (I don't know the exact numbers). I know there have been >1000 commits in the main repo (and unlike the repos such as bitcoin forks, this does not include upstream commits -- that's 1000 actual Monero commits) plus the repos. Monero has also produced four MRL research reports, plus a few other mathy documents.

AEON is a much smaller and newer project in practical terms, as we've only been working on it for a few months with me as the only coder, part-time (we also have another team member but he is not a coder), I'm the only coder. In that time, there is a modified proof of work algorithm and slower block time (with a hard fork implemented to change these with zero observed disruption of the network), better connection management in the p2p, portability cleanups for low end hardware (some of these are from Monero, others will be pulled back up to Monero), some optimizations of speed and storage. AEON also addressed, in a novel way, the anonymity problems revealed by MRL-0001. In fact AEON likely has the strongest deployed anonymity of any coin today (aside from the important fact of not having much use which makes the anonymity sets small), though eventually Monero will get there too.

Of these 1000 commits, 9 were Smooth, if you're interested they break down like this:

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits?author=iamsmooth

Nov 9, 2014 Change 6 lines of codes, temporary bug fix
Nov 11, 2014 Commented out 2 lines of code
March 5, 2015 4 lines to change a variable and add IF statement
March 5, 2015 Added 4 lines of code, in the form of a comment
March 6, 2015 Added one line of code (a checkpoint)
March 10, 2015 Changing a default value and an IF statement, 6 lines of code
Apr 5, 2015 4 lines of code and a comment
Apr 5, 2015 2 lines of code to handle a rounding
Apr 14, 2015 Remove a define, 1 line changed

Also Smooth, just saying you have 1000 commits is a bit vague - looking at your work, that doesn't necessarily mean new features were created, nearly all your work for Monero was changing a few comments, disabling or enabling something, changing a variable name - how is that "rewriting" anything or adding lots of new code?

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 06:36:45 PM

Of these 1000 commits, 9 were Smooth, if you're interested they break down like this:

Also Smooth, just saying you have 1000 commits is a bit vague - looking at your work, that doesn't necessarily mean new features were created, nearly all your work for Monero was changing a few comments, disabling or enabling something, changing a variable name - how is that "rewriting" anything or adding lots of new code?

He said "> 1000 commits" and never said they were his--as he was answering a question about Monero and not himself. I guess you are used to "one Dev to rule them all"  in dashland.

blobafett2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:39:35 PM

He said "> 1000 commits" and never said they were his--as he was answering a question about Monero and not himself. I guess you are used to "one Dev to rule them all"  in dashland.

I know which commits are Smooth's because I just posted them above for you - and it's mainly commenting / uncommenting or removing a variable and putting it back.  I think he did like 2 small IF statements, which personally after reading them all, was the highlight of his entire Monero development career:

if (base_reward < FINAL_SUBSIDY_PER_MINUTE)
+ {
+ base_reward = FINAL_SUBSIDY_PER_MINUTE;
+ }

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commit/754a785ee15915c4d8d81dbd55d7005e07c6407e.

It's becoming kind of ridiculous to call Smooth a "Monero dev" at this stage, I don't think I can honestly say that anymore.  

(I guess I should check AEON next, but after reading all 30 lines of code Smooth changed in Monero in the last 18 months, i need a break, it's a lot to plow through I can tell you)
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:43:48 PM

It's becoming kind of ridiculous to call Smooth a "Monero dev" at this stage, I don't think I can honestly say that anymore.

He told you upthread that he has contributed mental effort on design, white papers, etc.. I know personally he was the developer who interfaced with me during the BCX incident and he and I discussed potential means to unmask anonymity.

I think the only potential valid complaint you had is letting him know you don't appreciate the frequency of his posting in other coins' threads, and asking him to explain his intentions with AEON. That doesn't mean you are correct, but you have a reasonable SUBJECTIVE point to make there that apparently some voters agree with. He has also has the right to express his opinion as much as he wants and absorb the political repercussions.

But if you ignore what he already said, it starts to look like you want to do a hatchet job on him and taking irrational revenge.

You won't be able to turn the entire altcoin community against smooth if that is your objective. You can express your opinion. Personally I am not willing to take the political heat that smooth is. I am a developer more than I am a martyr.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 06:44:30 PM

I know which commits are Smooth's because I just posted them above for you - and it's mainly commenting / uncommenting or removing a variable and putting it back.  I think he did like 2 small IF statements, which personally after reading them all, was the highlight of his entire Monero development career:

if (base_reward < FINAL_SUBSIDY_PER_MINUTE)
+ {
+ base_reward = FINAL_SUBSIDY_PER_MINUTE;
+ }

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commit/754a785ee15915c4d8d81dbd55d7005e07c6407e.

I'm sure he'll be crushed. But it stands that your 1000 commit statement was wrong--misread or blatant overstatement for effect? It's anyone's guess. I'm guessing your brain doesn't know what it's doing.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: