Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:12:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right?  (Read 30399 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:21:48 PM

Uh, guys... what am I missing here?

A working web browser, perhaps.

Explain to me how Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m is not a working browser?
More to the point, I can see the other symbols here just fine.  If B⃦ is supposed to be the best symbol, and I (and others) cannot see it properly on standard systems, perhaps it would be better to move to a different symbol that IS displayed properly on a standard system.

I am on Firefox BTW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:23:00 PM

A working web browser, perhaps.

Explain to me how Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m is not a working browser?
Chromium 21.0.1180.89 works fine here.

More to the point, I can see the other symbols here just fine.  If B⃦ is supposed to be the best symbol, and I (and others) cannot see it properly on standard systems, perhaps it would be better to move to a different symbol that IS displayed properly on a standard system.
Images seem to be working fine until mainstream fonts are updated. Thankfully, we also have webfonts now. Smiley

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:29:35 PM

I kinda like Ƀ

Alt +0243

Ƀ

There hasn't been much disagreement that Ƀ, the "Latin capital letter B with stroke" (Alt+0243) is a pretty decent symbol to use going forward.

- http://www.ecogex.com/bitcoin/
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Shawshank
Legendary

Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:39:02 PM

Yes, I believe there is something wrong in the configuration of the UTF-8 encoding/charset in the users' browser. HowardStrong's proposal looks fine on both my Internet Explorer and Chrome. Luke-Jr's proposal looks OK in my Internet Explorer, but doesn't look right in Chrome.

Luke-Jr, if you go to Tools/Encoding in your Chrome browser while in Wikipedia, you should have the UTF-8 option checked. Is that so?

Lightning Address: shawshank@getalby.com
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 06:01:51 PM

Luke-Jr, if you go to Tools/Encoding in your Chrome browser while in Wikipedia, you should have the UTF-8 option checked. Is that so?
I'm not the one having problems...

xblitz

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:18:25 PM

is that a general statement?  Grin
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:45:26 PM

Yes, I believe there is something wrong in the configuration of the UTF-8 encoding/charset in the users' browser. HowardStrong's proposal looks fine on both my Internet Explorer and Chrome. Luke-Jr's proposal looks OK in my Internet Explorer, but doesn't look right in Chrome.

Just to be sure, I've gone through ALL character encodings in Chrome. Lukes character is displayed in none.
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:50:25 PM

This guy is a nut. Plain and simple. Awhile back he added a Tonal number section to the Bitcoin article.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:52:06 PM

A working web browser, perhaps. Or maybe it's a font issue with your system.
Not everyone enjoys Windows loading several gigabytes of fonts on startup. I am running the latest Chrome on a minimal WinXP Pro, and these are boxes for me:
Ƀ
Ƀ

The Thai Baht works for me. So does the custom font BTC, but that's a silly thing for a standard, unless I'm the only one who uses IRC, Wikipedia, plaintext email...
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:17:49 PM

This guy is a nut. Plain and simple.
Coming from someone promoting Bitcoin as a tool for illegal activities (and thus harming Bitcoin), I guess I should take this as a compliment...

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:24:09 PM

Honestly, everyone should just continue using BTC until a Bitcoin symbol is standardized and viewable on 95% of computers without modifying the default fonts or encodings.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:25:22 PM

Honestly, everyone should just continue using BTC until a Bitcoin symbol is standardized and viewable on 95% of computers without modifying the default fonts or encodings.
Many currencies used already existing symbols. We don't need anybody's permission to adopt the Thai Baht.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:27:49 PM

Many currencies used already existing symbols. We don't need anybody's permission to adopt the Thai Baht.
Except that it'll be confusing for anyone trying to use Bitcoin in Thailand, and/or with Thai people.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:29:52 PM

Except that it'll be confusing for anyone trying to use Bitcoin in Thailand, and/or with Thai people.
The exchange rats are vastly different. Additionally, the US Dollar stole the $ sign from other countries. It's just how it works. Things will sort out.

The Silk Road and other major retailers are using this sign. It can't be escaped.
greyhawk

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:32:59 PM

This guy is a nut. Plain and simple. Awhile back he added a Tonal number section to the Bitcoin article.

Oh, I wondered where I knew the name from.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:36:21 PM

The exchange rats are vastly different. Additionally, the US Dollar stole the $ sign from other countries. It's just how it works. Things will sort out.

The Silk Road and other major retailers are using this sign. It can't be escaped.
Those exchange rats are very different indeed.  For one thing, Japanese rats vs Thai rats.  Although I suppose exchange rats generally exist for each currency worldwide.

Regardless, you may be right.  I don't think there's much hope in attempting to standardize a particular symbol - the market will use what it will, and even though it might not be the best option, it will eventually become the standard.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:44:01 PM

Everyone is already using B⃦ via images Smiley

Atlas (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:44:52 PM

Maybe to you and your browser configuration but nobody else sees it.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:00:42 PM

Oh, B-box. Charming.
greyhawk

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:07:57 PM

Oh, B-box. Charming.

Cute, isn't it? I'm gonna go ahead and name this character "Jalapeno"
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: