Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:22:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right?  (Read 30399 times)
Hasimir

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:04:26 PM

Have you successfully rendered this symbol on a system using UTF-8?
Yep, in fact I'm pretty sure these forums use UTF-8 only.

Edit: Actually, looking at the source, I see the forum is choosing ISO-8859-1 encoding, which doesn't work with Unicode at all. This is likely the reason why many people are having technical problems.
If that's the case then the Bitcoin wiki has the same problem.
No, the wiki seems to select UTF-8 properly.

We've already established from the numerous responses to you earlier in this thread that you're one of the exceptions who can see this symbol, you're not in the majority.  Not by a long stretch.

I expect (and intend) to use a symbol which will display on the widest range of hardware and software available globally.  This means taking into account older systems and operating systems.

So as much as you may wish it weren't so, both ฿ and Ƀ still have an edge.

OpenPGP/GPG key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D  I provide GPG Training services
IRC nick: Hasimir (Freenode and elsewhere)
BTC address: 19hiwsQq7xMAEyQMdiyGjkMGNmpN6GA5wL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:06:30 PM

Edit: Actually, looking at the source, I see the forum is choosing ISO-8859-1 encoding, which doesn't work with Unicode at all. This is likely the reason why many people are having technical problems.
If that's the case then the Bitcoin wiki has the same problem.
No, the wiki seems to select UTF-8 properly.

We've already established from the numerous responses to you earlier in this thread that you're one of the exceptions who can see this symbol, you're not in the majority.  Not by a long stretch.

I expect (and intend) to use a symbol which will display on the widest range of hardware and software available globally.  This means taking into account older systems and operating systems.

So as much as you may wish it weren't so, both ฿ and Ƀ still have an edge.

It would be nice to have an educated, well thought out, and reasonable estimate of the amount of time it would take for a large fraction of users to have the BTC symbol work (and for someone to fill in all the assumptions with reasonable guesses)...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:08:47 PM

i guess it's a function of the OS more than the broswer then?

Very likely.  Which means it will be years before Luke-Jr will be satisfied.

What I'd like to know is whether an OLPC system will display this alleged "standard" symbol.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:15:27 PM

i guess it's a function of the OS more than the broswer then?

Very likely.  Which means it will be years before Luke-Jr will be satisfied.

What I'd like to know is whether an OLPC system will display this alleged "standard" symbol.

I sold my iPhone 4s when I ordered the iPhone 5...and got a temp junk phone for the interim...I should see how it renders the test site...it's a modern "pre-iphone" phone with keyboard and what not...lol!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:16:13 PM

It would be nice to have an educated, well thought out, and reasonable estimate of the amount of time it would take for a large fraction of users to have the BTC symbol work (and for someone to fill in all the assumptions with reasonable guesses)...

There's no way of avoiding years of time and effort.  It's either a system related issue of failing to implement existing UTF-8 to get the double symbol to work or needs a single symbol (with both strokes) added to Unicode.  Either way we'll be waiting years before 80-90% have moved on to systems which will support it.

The alternative is to use ฿, Ƀ, ¤ or some other symbol until a consistently displaying independent symbol is available to everyone without relying on the web or customisations.  As much as Luke-Jr rails against it, this is exactly what will happen.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 10:29:55 PM

OS X 10.5.8
So, an OS that is now 5 years old and beyond end of life (no more security fixes). You shouldn't even be allowed online with that.

Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

OS X 10.5.8
So, an OS that is now 5 years old and beyond end of life (no more security fixes). You shouldn't even be allowed online with that.

There are plenty of older systems around, if you really want to enforce your ideal OS standard then I'll believe it when you turn up on my doorstep.  I'm easy to find.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 10:53:02 PM

OS X 10.5.8
There are plenty of older systems around, if you really want to enforce your ideal OS standard then I'll believe it when you turn up on my doorstep.  I'm easy to find.
At the very least, it's grounds for automatic ignoring complaints about standard things not working for you. The bugs were already fixed, you're just using a known-buggy version.

Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 10:55:33 PM

OS X 10.5.8
At the very least, it's grounds for automatic ignoring complaints about standard things not working for you. The bugs were already fixed, you're just using a known-buggy version.

And how do you respond to people using Ubuntu 12.04 encountering the same problem?  Or other Windows users who reported the same thing?  It's not just me, remember.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:05:20 PM

I made a test page for the BTC symbol in Unicode since this forum forces a non-Unicode encoding.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit) with all updates, even optional ones.

Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m

On my Gnex, it's a bunch of normal B's.

Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) / unrooted
Baseband:  I9250XXLF1
Kernel:  3.0.31-g6fb96c9
android-build@vpbs1 )
#1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 28 11:02:39 PDT 2012

Chrome 18.0.1025308
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:06:26 PM

OS X 10.5.8

If this is truly a serious discussion about adopting a standard symbol.... whatever is picked should display on the least advanced media..

like a green screen WYSE terminal. Vt100 terminal, etc.

Or a piece of paper.

Suggesting that people who aren't upgraded to the latest version of something should be discounted is really elitist.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:15:02 PM

B⃦ sucks extra hard for being 2 chars (we invented new problems for you!)
B⃦ is itself a single character, even if comprised of two codepoints.
It's also the same character the forum is using a webfont to render in BTC.
Using multiple codepoints for a single character is not new.

How many times do you need to see posts from others saying (and even showing) that it isn't displaying for the majority of people as it does for you?
Such problems are irrelevant. I'm not suggesting changing anything.

Are you using UTF-16 instead of UTF-8?
No, I only use UTF-8.

No, it's not. The forum encodes the text in ISO-8859-1 encoding, which is the standard for all webpages and has full support of all languages. The only deficiency in ISO-8859-1 is that unicode characters cannot be sent directly, which is not what the forum does. It, correctly, encodes all non-codepage characters with HTML entities, which is the standard method of unicode encoding today and is universally used.

Your test page accomplishes even less support than this forum, because some browsers choose to ignore encodings in the HTTP header and detect it themselves.
nimda

Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:19:12 PM

What about mobile browsers? They represent a growing portion of the market, and some of these symbols don't even show up on the Galaxy S3.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:20:34 PM

What about mobile browsers? They represent a growing portion of the market, and some of these symbols don't even show up on the Galaxy S3.
Then use BTC, inline images, or webfonts. I'm not supporting usage of the proper unicode symbol, unlike Luke, but rather discontinuation of usage of the Baht symbol.
Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 11:28:11 PM

I made a test page for the BTC symbol in Unicode since this forum forces a non-Unicode encoding.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit) with all updates, even optional ones.

Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79 m

I got the same on my Nokia N9 running MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan version PR1.3 (the current version) using the current version of Opera Mobile.

The same thing appears with Amaya.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:30:01 PM

Or a piece of paper.
There shouldn't be any problems writing/reading it on paper...

Suggesting that people who aren't upgraded to the latest version of something should be discounted is really elitist.
I didn't say that. His version is so old that it isn't even patched against known security vulnerabilities. It's like driving a car with known-bad brakes.

FLHippy

Merit: 101

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:45:45 PM

I didn't say that. His version is so old that it isn't even patched against known security vulnerabilities. It's like driving a car with known-bad brakes.

It came off that way. Especially when combined with the suggested ban of old operating systems from the internet Smiley

FWIW... I am upgraded to the latest version of OS X and safari and the two character double vertical line thing looks like crap on my browser also. The lines are shifted to the right as shown by others. All of the samples on the luke-jr test page kind of look like a hacked B in one way or another. (which is what they are)

The BTC conversion to the image looks good where supported and requires no mandatory support by those who don't wish to support it. It will look good and be understood on everything from a typewriter to a web browser.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:48:55 PM

It came off that way. Especially when combined with the suggested ban of old operating systems from the internet Smiley

FWIW... I am upgraded to the latest version of OS X and safari and the two character double vertical line thing looks like crap on my browser also. The lines are shifted to the right as shown by others. All of the samples on the luke-jr test page kind of look like a hacked B in one way or another. (which is what they are)

The BTC conversion to the image looks good where supported and requires no mandatory support by those who don't wish to support it. It will look good and be understood on everything from a typewriter to a web browser.
On a typewriter, one can write B, go back, and write the double bar.

By the way, the "B-Box" looks perfect on my computer. Ubuntu 12.04.
Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:15:36 AM

Luke, did you get giant BTC tatooed on your butt that you defend it so religiously?

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 02:34:42 AM

Luke -- here's how it renders on Mountain Lion / chrome:

pfft! oh my god! coffee everywhere Smiley

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: