Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:30:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 7153 times)
pitham1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:02:41 AM

Santhara is a practice in Jainism where a person voluntarily gives up water and food and waits for death.
An Indian court has ruled that this was akin to suicide and therefore illegal.

http://scroll.in/article/748119/fasting-unto-death-for-religion-is-not-suicide-or-euthanasia-say-outraged-jains

freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:33:02 AM

Santhara is a practice in Jainism where a person voluntarily gives up water and food and waits for death.

http://scroll.in/article/748119/fasting-unto-death-for-religion-is-not-suicide-or-euthanasia-say-outraged-jains

I never understood what legality or policy or government or anyone for that matter has to do with the decision to commit suicide.  Once you choose to check out, who cares if it's against the law?

I find the way society views suicide to be very strange...as if it's the worst outcome and no one in their right mind would ever do it.  There are tons of people with a level of suffering that is difficult for others to understand, and it should absolutely be everyone's right to end their life if they choose to.  What's the point of going into palliative care, being pumped full of opiates, not being able to function mentally or physically and waiting until your heart stops beating?
mookid

Activity: 446
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 05:02:09 AM

One of my best friends committed suicide a month ago, a boy of 18 decided to end his life because he felt worthless, government's gives no shit about mental health care. Some people have illness that can be hard to understand or diagnose, like schizophrenia and others. I hope we can all raise awareness about this issues.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:02:44 AM

This is retarded. These sort of things can't be permitted under the banner of religion. If we permit suicide, then tomorrow someone will invent a new religion, and claim that raping women is a part of his religious belief. And as far as I can understand, attempt to suicide is a punishable offense under the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:10:11 AM

This is retarded. These sort of things can't be permitted under the banner of religion. If we permit suicide, then tomorrow someone will invent a new religion, and claim that raping women is a part of his religious belief. And as far as I can understand, attempt to suicide is a punishable offense under the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Suicide is taking your life into your own hands. Rape is taking some one elses life into your hands
Religion already is the reason why suicide is ilegal, so I rather see a place where people can be set up to die, rather than jumping off a bridge .
Society needs to come to grips with some people not wanting to go through this journey. Baby boomers will change this aspect for us I think.
I have been through dark times, held a dying stranger from jumping off a bridge and saved a homeless man that changed his mind after jumping . My thinking will never change on this...My life, my choice.
The real issue is making sure people think it through and are given a safe place to die.

Jains have been around along ass time and predate this new moral code.
cryptosmoker

Activity: 581
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:18:32 AM

"The number of people executed in India since independence in 1947 is a matter of dispute; official government statistics claim that only 57 people had been executed since independence. However, available information from other sources indicates that the official government figures are false, and the actual number of executions in India may run to several thousand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_offenders_executed_in_India
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 07:27:38 AM

"The number of people executed in India since independence in 1947 is a matter of dispute; official government statistics claim that only 57 people had been executed since independence. However, available information from other sources indicates that the official government figures are false, and the actual number of executions in India may run to several thousand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_offenders_executed_in_India

Has this anything to do with the topic?

Suicide is taking your life into your own hands. Rape is taking some one elses life into your hands
Religion already is the reason why suicide is ilegal, so I rather see a place where people can be set up to die, rather than jumping off a bridge .
Society needs to come to grips with some people not wanting to go through this journey. Baby boomers will change this aspect for us I think.
I have been through dark times, held a dying stranger from jumping off a bridge and saved a homeless man that changed his mind after jumping . My thinking will never change on this...My life, my choice.
The real issue is making sure people think it through and are given a safe place to die.

People who attempt suicide needs psychiatric counselling and help. In my opinion, it is not ethical to leave people who are prone to suicide on their own. My opinion has nothing to do with religion, as I am an atheist.
xmaxbit

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 08:04:32 AM

I never understood what legality or policy or government or anyone for that matter has to do with the decision to commit suicide.  Once you choose to check out, who cares if it's against the law?

I find the way society views suicide to be very strange...as if it's the worst outcome and no one in their right mind would ever do it.  There are tons of people with a level of suffering that is difficult for others to understand, and it should absolutely be everyone's right to end their life if they choose to.  What's the point of going into palliative care, being pumped full of opiates, not being able to function mentally or physically and waiting until your heart stops beating?

Let me help you understand this, law has been mad for SUICIDAL ATTEMPT and not just suicide. There are possibilities when a suicidal attempt may fail to complete. This attempt by any person may demoralize or demotivate some weak people in our society to commit the same which means a loss for the country in terms of man power and mind power. This law might inhibit some suicidal attempts.
cryptosmoker

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 08:26:47 AM

Has this anything to do with the topic?

Just pointing out the irony in system allowing government to kill a person while prohibiting all persons from killing themselves.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:07:36 AM

Just pointing out the irony in system allowing government to kill a person while prohibiting all persons from killing themselves.

Death penalty in India is only given to the most barbaric of the crimes. And India very rarely executes its prisoners who are sentenced to death, with the average being less than one inmate per year, although hundreds are currently languishing in the death row. These people are executed for harming others. It is justified.
pitham1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Laws are made by the Government. Religion is a touchy subject. The state of Rajasthan was arguing in favour of allowing Santhara.

After nine years of litigation – with the state of Rajasthan fighting as one of the respondents in support of the Jain community – the court eventually ordered that Santhara must be abolished and treated as a criminal offence of attempt to suicide

otrkid70

Activity: 920
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:29:23 AM

Suicide defies all of Natures basic instinct to survive....When a person wants to commit suicide there is something very wrong and Intervention should be there.

Humans are the only creature on the planet to Defy Natures natural programming....Survival is written in the Very core of every single creature.

We are either Very Gifted from God to overwrite nature or very Flawed....Which is it?

IMO: i Think if a person is having these thoughts they need Intervention and help.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 01:16:40 PM

Laws are made by the Government. Religion is a touchy subject. The state of Rajasthan was arguing in favour of allowing Santhara.

After nine years of litigation – with the state of Rajasthan fighting as one of the respondents in support of the Jain community – the court eventually ordered that Santhara must be abolished and treated as a criminal offence of attempt to suicide

I am not surprised. In general, the Indian political parties are afraid to alienate the religious lobbyists. The easiest way to lose in Indian election is to oppose some well known religious figure. Although Hindus and Jains are not as much united as the Christians and the Muslims, in certain pockets (such as parts of Rajasthan), they can swing large number of votes.
PDaccseller

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:20:49 PM

if they want to die that's their problem.
one less human on earth and nobody can blame anyone for that. I'm not complaining.
Sourgummies

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:46:16 PM

Suicide defies all of Natures basic instinct to survive....When a person wants to commit suicide there is something very wrong and Intervention should be there.

Humans are the only creature on the planet to Defy Natures natural programming....Survival is written in the Very core of every single creature.

We are either Very Gifted from God to overwrite nature or very Flawed....Which is it?

IMO: i Think if a person is having these thoughts they need Intervention and help.

The idea that nature does not have suicide has not really been studied. I could point to aspects of nature that are suicidal but its for a continuation of the species.
But you also mention "God" so I guess Its safe to presume you are working off a ideology from the bible.

The idea that suicide is wrong is from the bible,anyone that is against suicide is usually acting on that premise and may not know it. Its so deep routed like other Christian beliefs people pass it off like it is part of societies rules. Will do some research,recall reading something about suicide becoming a sin due to worry about it spreading. Ugh wish I could recall this!

Create a non-judgmental  haven for people to go to that offers support,medication if needed and at last resort a place to die in a safe comfortable manner.
We would have less people traumatized from seeing people commit suicide and would have a lot less distraught 911 calls that tie up the police. I consider that stance that suicide is wrong to be like the war on drugs,it is not working and its a stale way of thinking.
otrkid70

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 08:09:27 PM

The idea that nature does not have suicide has not really been studied. I could point to aspects of nature that are suicidal but its for a continuation of the species.
But you also mention "God" so I guess Its safe to presume you are working off a ideology from the bible.

The idea that suicide is wrong is from the bible,anyone that is against suicide is usually acting on that premise and may not know it. Its so deep routed like other Christian beliefs people pass it off like it is part of societies rules. Will do some research,recall reading something about suicide becoming a sin due to worry about it spreading. Ugh wish I could recall this!

Create a non-judgmental  haven for people to go to that offers support,medication if needed and at last resort a place to die in a safe comfortable manner.
We would have less people traumatized from seeing people commit suicide and would have a lot less distraught 911 calls that tie up the police. I consider that stance that suicide is wrong to be like the war on drugs,it is not working and its a stale way of thinking.
I'm not saying that people don't have a choice and of course if you are terminal you should be able to avoid suffering. As far as religion goes even if you take it out of the Equasion in nature there are no creatures committing suicide besides Man.
cryptosmoker

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 08:30:44 PM

Death penalty in India is only given to the most barbaric of the crimes. And India very rarely executes its prisoners who are sentenced to death, with the average being less than one inmate per year, although hundreds are currently languishing in the death row. These people are executed for harming others. It is justified.

You didn't even bother to read what I originally posted. 
Sourgummies

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:36:52 PM

I'm not saying that people don't have a choice and of course if you are terminal you should be able to avoid suffering. As far as religion goes even if you take it out of the Equasion in nature there are no creatures committing suicide besides Man.

The debate about animals and suicide is still up in the air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_suicide

http://news.discovery.com/animals/zoo-animals/animal-suicide-behavior.htm

The latter link is more interesting to read.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:44:21 PM

That's the sort of idealistic dream that when reduced to the ugly reality of a government program, because nothing nice at all.  Soylet Green!  Yah!
otrkid70

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:48:30 PM

That's the sort of idealistic dream that when reduced to the ugly reality of a government program, because nothing nice at all.  Soylet Green!  Yah!
What's wrong with Soylent Green?  People will have to eat when us Humans have destroyed all animal and plant life and the Worlds population is 20 Billion.

In that Movie people were Encouraged to commit suicide. It meant another batch of Soylent Green.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: