Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:57:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 05:50:44 PM

The trouble with most of these bets (which have been ubiquitous as long as I've been around) is that it is extraordinarily labor intensive to prepare the terms and definitions.  For instance, there is a very good chance that within a year there will be a >1MB block on 'the longest proof-of-work chain'.  But which chain is 'the'.

Clearly the longest proof-of-work chain built from Bitcoin's Genesis Block.  The terms and definitions are trivially simple.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 05:57:39 PM

The trouble with most of these bets (which have been ubiquitous as long as I've been around) is that it is extraordinarily labor intensive to prepare the terms and definitions.  For instance, there is a very good chance that within a year there will be a >1MB block on 'the longest proof-of-work chain'.  But which chain is 'the'.

Clearly the longest proof-of-work chain built from Bitcoin's Genesis Block.  The terms and definitions are trivially simple.

It's not simple at all of the blockchain forks because different groups consider different blocks to be 'valid.'  This is a very real possibility and within this timeframe.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:05:22 PM

The trouble with most of these bets (which have been ubiquitous as long as I've been around) is that it is extraordinarily labor intensive to prepare the terms and definitions.  For instance, there is a very good chance that within a year there will be a >1MB block on 'the longest proof-of-work chain'.  But which chain is 'the'.

Clearly the longest proof-of-work chain built from Bitcoin's Genesis Block.  The terms and definitions are trivially simple.

It's not simple at all of the blockchain forks because different groups consider different blocks to be 'valid.'  This is a very real possibility and within this timeframe.

Regardless of anyone's definition of validity, one chain will be longer than the rest (it will contain more cumulative work).  I am betting that this (longest) chain will contain a block greater than 1 MB in size by this time next year.  

There is no ambiguity in that definition.  

brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:10:09 PM

The trouble with most of these bets (which have been ubiquitous as long as I've been around) is that it is extraordinarily labor intensive to prepare the terms and definitions.  For instance, there is a very good chance that within a year there will be a >1MB block on 'the longest proof-of-work chain'.  But which chain is 'the'.

Clearly the longest proof-of-work chain built from Bitcoin's Genesis Block.  The terms and definitions are trivially simple.

It's not simple at all of the blockchain forks because different groups consider different blocks to be 'valid.'  This is a very real possibility and within this timeframe.

Regardless of anyone's definition of validity, one chain will be longer than the rest (it will contain more cumulative work).  I am betting that this (longest) chain will contain a block greater than 1 MB in size by this time next year.  

Yes you can all stop bickering about it I'm never going to spend a satoshi on such a worthless endeavour.

"Let's bet" Seriously?!

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:20:22 PM

If there is 'no ambiguity' in your mind that is because your mind is not very flexible.  (You a tech writer?  If so, just on contract or genuine interest?)  If one burns a lot of cycles mining an invalid block it does not count toward 'cumulative work' by any definition.

I would not even take your bet if I got to define 'longest'.  I, like every other '1MBer' I can think of except perhaps MP, would be delighted to see larger blocks as long as they are safe _and_ needed.  It's possible that that could happen within the next year and that could be great news.  I think it more unlikely than not though.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:26:41 PM

If there is 'no ambiguity' in your mind that is because your mind is not very flexible.  (You a tech writer?  If so, just on contract or genuine interest?)  If one burns a lot of cycles mining an invalid block it does not count toward 'cumulative work' by any definition.

I would not even take your bet if I got to define 'longest'.  I, like every other '1MBer' I can think of except perhaps MP, would be delighted to see larger blocks as long as they are safe _and_ needed.  It's possible that that could happen within the next year and that could be great news.  I think it more unlikely than not though.

I think we all know what he means.  The "main" chain of Bitcoin.  If Bitcoin forks, then whichever main chain of a fork has more work done in the blocks.

Its irrelevant since brg doesnt want to bet.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:13:34 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2015, 07:32:02 PM by knight22

If there is 'no ambiguity' in your mind that is because your mind is not very flexible.  (You a tech writer?  If so, just on contract or genuine interest?)  If one burns a lot of cycles mining an invalid block it does not count toward 'cumulative work' by any definition.

I would not even take your bet if I got to define 'longest'.  I, like every other '1MBer' I can think of except perhaps MP, would be delighted to see larger blocks as long as they are safe _and_ needed.  It's possible that that could happen within the next year and that could be great news.  I think it more unlikely than not though.

I think we all know what he means.  The "main" chain of Bitcoin.  If Bitcoin forks, then whichever main chain of a fork has more work done in the blocks.

Because he know he will lose. Obviously.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:20:15 PM

If there is 'no ambiguity' in your mind that is because your mind is not very flexible.  (You a tech writer?  If so, just on contract or genuine interest?)  If one burns a lot of cycles mining an invalid block it does not count toward 'cumulative work' by any definition.

I would not even take your bet if I got to define 'longest'.  I, like every other '1MBer' I can think of except perhaps MP, would be delighted to see larger blocks as long as they are safe _and_ needed.  It's possible that that could happen within the next year and that could be great news.  I think it more unlikely than not though.

I think we all know what he means.  The "main" chain of Bitcoin.  If Bitcoin forks, then whichever main chain of a fork has more work done in the blocks.

Because he know he we will lose. Obviously.

Grin a bunch of sheeps 

I can't imagine how bored you must be to hang around spreading such platitudes.

you go on ignore

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 08:09:42 PM

Its also interesting to think about:  What happens if the fees are too HIGH (nevermind too low?).

Will users be more willing to wait for longer blocktimes and get lower fees if they think the security is ample?

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:13:38 PM

Its also interesting to think about:  What happens if the fees are too HIGH (nevermind too low?).

Will users be more willing to wait for longer blocktimes and get lower fees if they think the security is ample?

There are a fair number of people (greater than, say, 'the one-percent') who don't live hand-to-mouth and who are not very sensitive to 'long' wait times.  To such people the security of the transaction is the most critical aspect.  The same people will tend to consider transaction fees in the $10's, or even $100's per to be fairly negligible.  There are enough such people in this world to create a demand for a high security system for transfer and storage of value alone, and to be fair one needs to add in the potential as a foundation upon which more flexible and well tuned systems can be built (e.g., 'sidechains'.)

The demands that the aformentioned classes of users makes on the system is conducive to having the system being well hardened against attacks of the type which will be able to complete hamstring a real-time trinket buying solution such as Paypal or XT/BIP101.  You people (excluding the shills who know exactly what I am saying) who can only see the latter use-case should understand that the former use-case will exist.  If you wish to consider it 'competition' and be actively adversarial to it is your call.  I would suggest you do not both because it doesn't make much sense and because it could elicit a response which is problematic for your cause.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:39:06 PM

There are a fair number of people (greater than, say, 'the one-percent') who don't live hand-to-mouth and who are not very sensitive to 'long' wait times.  To such people the security of the transaction is the most critical aspect.  The same people will tend to consider transaction fees in the $10's, or even $100's per to be fairly negligible.  There are enough such people in this world to create a demand for a high security system for transfer and storage of value alone, and to be fair one needs to add in the potential as a foundation upon which more flexible and well tuned systems can be built (e.g., 'sidechains'.)

The demands that the aformentioned classes of users makes on the system is conducive to having the system being well hardened against attacks of the type which will be able to complete hamstring a real-time trinket buying solution such as Paypal or XT/BIP101.  You people (excluding the shills who know exactly what I am saying) who can only see the latter use-case should understand that the former use-case will exist.  If you wish to consider it 'competition' and be actively adversarial to it is your call.  I would suggest you do not both because it doesn't make much sense and because it could elicit a response which is problematic for your cause.

I hear you, but respectfully disagree.  I think Bitcoin should strive to handle all sizes of transactions, big and small, if possible.

marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:52:08 PM

I hear you, but respectfully disagree.  I think Bitcoin should strive to handle all sizes of transactions, big and small, if possible.

To an extent, I can agree with this. However, I am absolutely not concerned that people be able to transact in amounts in the cents or fractions of a cent. I don't think our focus should be on how to include ever-smaller amounts of value on the blockchain. I don't know the details - has anyone ever done an analysis of what % of total transactions are below a given amount (say, < 0.0001 output)? If capacity is an issue, this is one approach to take.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:54:15 PM

We're telling you it doesn't, can't and never will.

Use VISAchain for that.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 10:42:25 PM

I hear you, but respectfully disagree.  I think Bitcoin should strive to handle all sizes of transactions, big and small, if possible.

To an extent, I can agree with this. However, I am absolutely not concerned that people be able to transact in amounts in the cents or fractions of a cent. I don't think our focus should be on how to include ever-smaller amounts of value on the blockchain. I don't know the details - has anyone ever done an analysis of what % of total transactions are below a given amount (say, < 0.0001 output)? If capacity is an issue, this is one approach to take.

I'm with you.  fractions of a cent aren't important, but I reject the "Bitcoin is only for people who don't mind paying $100 transaction fee" mentality.

We're telling you it doesn't, can't and never will.

Use VISAchain for that.

You can argue about the future till you're blue in the face,
but Bitcoin actually CAN and DOES handle transactions of all sizes
right now, ya knucklehead.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 11:02:30 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2015, 03:34:06 AM by knight22

I hear you, but respectfully disagree.  I think Bitcoin should strive to handle all sizes of transactions, big and small, if possible.

I think it won't be possible even with a fee market with unlimited size blocks. The fees will make it uneconomical. But isn't Lighting network supposed to be able to do such small transactions?

RoooooR
Legendary

Activity: 1008

GigTricks.io | A CRYPTO ECOSYSTEM FOR ON-DEMAND EC

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 02:06:20 AM

nah, Bitcoin XT isn't the biggest FAIL in altcoin history

Just the biggest FRAUD

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 06:49:51 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2015, 07:01:33 AM by hdbuck

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoinxt/comments/3k0imx/the_number_of_xt_blocks_in_the_last_1000_is/

I thought the support BitcoinXT had was way bigger because of so many people praising it on /r/Bitcoin.
I wanted to help scale bitcoin so I spent about $200 to set up 10 BitcoinXT nodes for a month.
The $200 I spent was almost 1/3 of my bitcoin savings and I regret wasting my money on this.

sweet redditard tears.

ps: on a side note, as it goes for the internet and forums in general, reddit is infested with NSA-type alter egos, shilling the clueless noobs that still think of it as a place where 'real' opinions are expressed..
but its more of a usg sponsored - mit developed - propaganda tool, and hearn/gavin used it quite purposely.. otoh it wont affect bitcoin if not for only contributing at allowing bitcoin to be more resilient to social BS. Smiley

pps: peter r is one helluva shady character.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:04:03 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoinxt/comments/3k0imx/the_number_of_xt_blocks_in_the_last_1000_is/

I thought the support BitcoinXT had was way bigger because of so many people praising it on /r/Bitcoin.
I wanted to help scale bitcoin so I spent about $200 to set up 10 BitcoinXT nodes for a month.
The $200 I spent was almost 1/3 of my bitcoin savings and I regret wasting my money on this.

sweet redditard tears.

h ttp://data.whicdn.com/images/57338344/large.jpg

ps: on a side note, as it goes for the internet and forums in general, reddit is infested with NSA-type alter egos, shilling the clueless noobs that still think of it as a place where 'real' opinions are expressed..
but its more of a usg sponsored - mit developed - propaganda tool, and hearn/gavin used it quite purposely.. otoh it wont affect bitcoin if not for only contributing at allowing bitcoin to be more resilient to social BS. Smiley

I bet the guy was trolling those reddit ijuts.  Funny one way or another.

It was especially droll that he said with a straight face that he set up 10 nodes then laments that people are 'gaming' things.

Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:20:16 AM

sweet redditard tears.

The 1MB'ers are downvoted here as well; not only on reddit. Make a poll and you'll realise that you can't win the community with your language.
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:24:16 AM

Can confirm; hellashady.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: