Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:01:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:07:06 AM

How can we loose that free choice if anyone is free to release an alternate client the same way XT would have. If it get enough support it will simply be adopted.

Yes, at this point, the block size limit debate is sound and fury, signifying nothing.  If the market wants to increase the block size limit, then it will increase the block size limit.

I've shown these diagrams a lot because I think they reveal the essence of the situation.  If the limit remains to the right of Q*, then it doesn't really matter what the limit is because it does not affect the free market dynamics.  However, if the limit falls to the left of Q*, then the pressure due to the deadweight loss will eventually cause a fork to move the limit back to the right of Q*!  

TL/DR: There is no way to stop Bitcoin from growing.  

Peter, your economic analysis is flawed, as it simply wishes away the external costs that the market may choose to impose on the users running their own node. The scaling solution needs to take account of this, and your proposed solutions as well as your analysis does not. Stop promoting faulty ideas (economic and technical alike).  

I'm not asking what scaling solution is best.  I'm asking the question: if the market wants to be at Q* but the production quota forces it to be at Qmax, who exactly will enforce the quota (especially over the long term as forking pressure builds)?  

Normally, the answer is "the government" (or some powerful organization).  But something like Bitcoin is governed by the market itself, is it not?  How can the market enforce a quota that the market itself does not want?  Well, I don't think it can.    

There's a subtlety here: is the "thing" that will enforce the quota necessarily the same "thing" that wants to break the quota?  The answer is not completely clear to me...

The code Peter, the code!

Bitcoin is not governed by the market! It's governed by its peers. How soon we forget this is a peer-to peer network...

I have repeatedly stated so but your question pretends that the market has no other alternative to transact on than the Bitcoin blockchain, this is obviously wrong!

If there is market demand for transactions that cannot be satisfied by or pay for block space on the Bitcoin network because of a quota enforced by its peers then this demand will simply pivot toward another alternative that can satisfy it.

These alternatives could be fiat, payment channels, off-chain platforms or even alt-coins.

Again, it doesn't matter what "the market" wants, Bitcoin is not governed by free-market but by rules enforced by a consensus of its peers so as to keep every network actors' incentives aligned.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:11:41 AM

How can we loose that free choice if anyone is free to release an alternate client the same way XT would have. If it get enough support it will simply be adopted.

Yes, at this point, the block size limit debate is sound and fury, signifying nothing.  If the market wants to increase the block size limit, then it will increase the block size limit.

I've shown these diagrams a lot because I think they reveal the essence of the situation.  If the limit remains to the right of Q*, then it doesn't really matter what the limit is because it does not affect the free market dynamics.  However, if the limit falls to the left of Q*, then the pressure due to the deadweight loss will eventually cause a fork to move the limit back to the right of Q*!  

Peter, your economic analysis is flawed, as it simply wishes away the external costs that the market may choose to impose on the users running their own node. The scaling solution needs to take account of this, and your proposed solutions as well as your analysis does not. Stop promoting faulty ideas (economic and technical alike).  

I'm not asking what scaling solution is best.  I'm asking the question: if the market wants to be at Q* but the production quota forces it to be at Qmax, who exactly will enforce the quota (especially over the long term as forking pressure builds)?  

Normally, the answer is "the government" (or some powerful organization).  But something like Bitcoin is governed by the market itself, is it not?  How can the market enforce a quota that the market itself does not want?  Well, I don't think it can.    

There's a subtlety here: is the "thing" that will enforce the quota necessarily the same "thing" that wants to break the quota?  The answer is not completely clear to me...

Bitcoin is not governed by the market! It's governed by its peers. How soon we forget this is a peer-to peer network...

I have repeatedly stated so but your question pretends that the market has no other alternative to transact on than the Bitcoin blockchain, this is obviously wrong!

If there is market demand for transactions that cannot be satisfied by or pay for block space on the Bitcoin network because of a quota enforced by its peers then this demand will simply pivot toward another alternative that can satisfy it.

These alternatives could be fiat, payment channels, off-chain platforms or even alt-coins.

Again, it doesn't matter what "the market" wants, Bitcoin is not governed by free-market but by rules enforced by a consensus of its peers so as to keep every network actors' incentives aligned.

How soon we forget the peer-to-peer network is useless and worthless if it doesn't serve a market...

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:12:48 AM

What Peter propose makes a lot of sense economically as the market will want that dead loss regardless of the nodes but I get your point that it does not take security in consideration.

Are you suggesting the anti spam measure should take into consideration the number of nodes in the network? It might make sense to make a rule that enforce the market to have a minimum number of nodes in order to let the blocksize grow. The market will have an economic incentive to have a minimum amount of nodes in order to get that dead loss.
However, what's the minimum of node should realistically be enough to consider bitcoin secure enough? How much blocksize growth should it let if the conditions are met? How do you get the balance between the acceptable amount of dead loss VS the acceptable amount of nodes?

The number of nodes is irrelevant.

The block size limit should be a measure of the cost of the option to create a full node

Cost is relative. It might be cheap for you but not for me. I also don't think it would be possible to enforce it into the protocol.

"Nigga what?"

Cost is cost. Let's call it a price if you fancy it doesn't matter.

Of course it is possible. Satoshi did it for the monetary supply, the block interval and the space in blocks. All of these are enforced today by what of the Nakamoto consensus protocol. None of these rules will change unless the economic majority agrees to it.

You are mistaken, cost is relative to A LOT of factors. Just a cost (number) is irrelevant. What matters is the purchasing power of those numbers which I see no way for the protocol to evaluate. The same reason why Satoshi choose a fixed supply because it can't be adjusted to the demand.

Both are external factors the protocol can't evaluate. Secondly, are you also suggesting the protocol should be dependent of governments  fiat?

It is painfully clear you haven't read the blog post and I linked you to and I cannot continue this conversation with you until you do but just to entertain your ignorance: you are correct, the costs are not a mere number.

Node Option = Hardware Costs + Privacy Costs + Maintenance Costs

I’d ignore mundane expenses like hardware and power. Instead, recall that, if a full node cannot be run anonymously, “the network” (full node entry) is effectively controlled by law enforcement, a central entity. Therefore, my view is that the current largest “cost” (and current bottleneck to Bitcoin scalability) is therefore the threat of persecution.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:15:01 AM

The code Peter, the code! Bitcoin is not governed by the market!...

Good; I sort of agree.  Bitcoin is indeed governed by the code that people run.  But is it not these same people who choose which code to run?  And are not these the same people who, in aggregate, become "the market"?  

I would argue then, that in the final analysis, it is the will of the market that controls the code and thus it is the will of the market that governs Bitcoin.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:21:36 AM

What Peter propose makes a lot of sense economically as the market will want that dead loss regardless of the nodes but I get your point that it does not take security in consideration.

Are you suggesting the anti spam measure should take into consideration the number of nodes in the network? It might make sense to make a rule that enforce the market to have a minimum number of nodes in order to let the blocksize grow. The market will have an economic incentive to have a minimum amount of nodes in order to get that dead loss.
However, what's the minimum of node should realistically be enough to consider bitcoin secure enough? How much blocksize growth should it let if the conditions are met? How do you get the balance between the acceptable amount of dead loss VS the acceptable amount of nodes?

The number of nodes is irrelevant.

The block size limit should be a measure of the cost of the option to create a full node

Cost is relative. It might be cheap for you but not for me. I also don't think it would be possible to enforce it into the protocol.

"Nigga what?"

Cost is cost. Let's call it a price if you fancy it doesn't matter.

Of course it is possible. Satoshi did it for the monetary supply, the block interval and the space in blocks. All of these are enforced today by what of the Nakamoto consensus protocol. None of these rules will change unless the economic majority agrees to it.

You are mistaken, cost is relative to A LOT of factors. Just a cost (number) is irrelevant. What matters is the purchasing power of those numbers which I see no way for the protocol to evaluate. The same reason why Satoshi choose a fixed supply because it can't be adjusted to the demand.

Both are external factors the protocol can't evaluate. Secondly, are you also suggesting the protocol should be dependent of governments  fiat?

It is painfully clear you haven't read the blog post and I linked you to and I cannot continue this conversation with you until you do but just to entertain your ignorance: you are correct, the costs are not a mere number.

Node Option = Hardware Costs + Privacy Costs + Maintenance Costs

I’d ignore mundane expenses like hardware and power. Instead, recall that, if a full node cannot be run anonymously, “the network” (full node entry) is effectively controlled by law enforcement, a central entity. Therefore, my view is that the current largest “cost” (and current bottleneck to Bitcoin scalability) is therefore the threat of persecution.

You don't get my point. Let's say to the protocol that growth should be relative to node cost. Let's say node cost is 1000. 1000 what? USD? CYN? EUR? Does it takes inflation into considaration? How does the protocol take the node cost input from merchants just for the hardware cost? Which merchants? Which part of the world?

How do you enforce and measure such things into the protocol?

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:25:36 AM

How soon we forget the peer-to-peer network is useless and worthless if it doesn't serve a market...

Oh but a market it serves young padawan. We didn't get here without one!

Luckily Bitcoin holders in general are a stubborn bunch who recognize the benefits of delayed gratification and do not consider Bitcoin as another tool to facilitate mainstream consumerism. They are not much concerned by transaction throughput as they understand the value of scarcity and exclusivity. Real Bitcoiners are intelligent enough to anticipate the healthy ecosystem that shall be built on top of Bitcoin and enable their frivolous spending. Of course none of them would be foolish enough to part ways with their Bitcoin at this stage of the game. This is a marathon, not a run!

All of this to say that you will be hard pressed to convince the economic majority that there is a pressing need to accomodate more transactions of the blockchain because as they look around their peers and other economically-able relatives all they see is dormant bitcoins resting in cold storage and apparently not close to get out of hibernation.

Just read this http://www.contravex.com/2014/02/25/matters-of-bitcoin-merchant-adoption/ and this http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/measuring-decentralization/ until your head hurt and maybe, one day, the force shall also awaken inside you!

Peter R
Legendary

Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:27:24 AM

How do you enforce and measure such things into the protocol?

You could have a committee with the dual mandate of balancing "decentralization" with the cost of "Blockchain access."  The committee would adjust the price for block space to maintain the appropriate balance.  

On top of this, you'd also need some higher-level of governance structure to prevent the economic majority from forking away from the protocol rule decisions made by the committee.  

/ I'm not suggesting this would be a good idea.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:39:21 AM

Good; I sort of agree.  Bitcoin is indeed governed by the code that people run.  But is it not these same people who choose which code to run?  And are not these the same people who, in aggregate, become "the market"?  

I would argue then, that in the final analysis, it is the will of the market that controls the code and thus it is the will of the market that governs Bitcoin.

The Bitcoin market is a curious one full of very different actors whose incentives are not all particularly aligned. Assuming I play along with your characterization, then I shall specify that the demand you speak of does not currently comes from "the market" but mainly from consumers & merchants.

Consider that the Bitcoin market is also comprised of investors, nodes, miners & developers. You might suggest that miners also desire more transactions but this is again a tricky situation because miners are a group of individuals with very different expectations and resources.

Returning to our existing situation: consumers & merchants are clamouring for more space in blocks. Unfortunately for them they tend to have little power or leverage over Bitcoin's governance. The reason for that is a majority of them are not peers in the network (nodes) and they also tend to own only little amounts of Bitcoin (it makes sense right? they enjoy spending them!). So what we've observed in the recent months is that being fully aware of the little control they have over the system they've resorted to politics and all kinds of fallacious arguments to justify their demands.

Unfortunately for them, the rest of the market actors are not buying it. Hence, status quo prevails.

Of course, if this market of actors would be to consensually decide that more space in blocks is acceptable or desirable then it is indeed reasonable to expect them to modify the consensus rules, but only by making changes which everyone agrees on.

I think we can agree we are not quite there yet.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:47:36 AM

The Bitcoin market is a curious one full of very different actors whose incentives are not all particularly aligned. Assuming I play along with your characterization, then I shall specify that the demand you speak of does not currently comes from "the market" but mainly from consumers & merchants.

Consider that the Bitcoin market is also comprised of investors, nodes, miners & developers. You might suggest that miners also desire more transactions but this is again a tricky situation because miners are a group of individuals with very different expectations and resources.

Returning to our existing situation: consumers & merchants are clamouring for more space in blocks. Unfortunately for them they tend to have little power or leverage over Bitcoin's governance. The reason for that is a majority of them are not peers in the network (nodes) and they also tend to own only little amounts of Bitcoin (it makes sense right? they enjoy spending them!). So what we've observed in the recent months is that being fully aware of the little control they have over the system they've resorted to politics and all kinds of fallacious arguments to justify their demands.

Unfortunately for them, the rest of the market actors are not buying it. Hence, status quo prevails.

Of course, if this market of actors would be to consensually decide that more space in blocks is acceptable or desirable then it is indeed reasonable to expect them to modify the consensus rules, but only by making changes which everyone agrees on.

Except the market doesn't require consensus to fork the code and make a majority split. There is nothing to stop this to happen.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:54:24 AM

Except the market doesn't require consensus to fork the code and make a majority split. There is nothing to stop this to happen.

Be careful not to mischaracterize what I believe I defined well enough.

What you are proposing is that consumers, merchants and maybe a few odd miners fork into their own altcoin. Not "the market".

I would suggest this would be one hell of a gamble to take considering they will not have the support from the economic majority.

More explicitely: without the investors, they don't have the value, without the nodes they don't have decentralization and finally without value they have little to no miner support, hence no security.  

Zarathustra
Legendary

Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 08:12:11 AM

Yes. As you wrote: There's a reason Revalin's quote is famous: "Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics."
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:57:37 AM

man we still arguing with the noobs here? Embarrassed

peter zarah and knight.. lol

c'mon guys when is it you fork outta bitcoin?!
please stop wasting our time and get it on with your magic scalable coin for the businesses and corporations to lead the way towards mass adoptiontm!
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 10:50:25 AM

It's tiered. 3 tiers.

(welcome to Bitcoin by the way, I understand you're new to the subject)

Tier 1 is the development team writing rules for the consensus algorithm. This happens in the first instance (i.e. Satoshi etc)

Tier 2 is the miners. They choose to mine Bitcoin or something else depending on the consensus rules (as well as the rest of the coin design)

Tier 3 is the users. Based on the way the system dynamics resolve as a result of the interplay between tiers 1, 2, and 3, the users decide which coin to use.

That's how Bitcoin has been since day one. We all know you simultaneously believe that Bitcoin already has the users at Tier 1 and also that the users should be promoted to tier 1. My advice to you and Peter and the rest of you cohort; go and do it if you believe in it so much. But don't keep implying your preferred model is the reality, or to alter the bitcoin system into that model; the model is as stated above.

If users making all the software engineering decisions is the model you believe in, compete in the real free market by building that model from the ground up, not by shoehorning something different into that model. Your current proposals are parasitism.

Vires in numeris
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:02:17 AM

It's tiered. 3 tiers.

Tier 1 is the development team writing rules for the consensus algorithm. This happens in the first instance (i.e. Satoshi etc)

Tier 2 is the miners. They choose to mine Bitcoin or something else depending on the consensus rules (as well as the rest of the coin design)

Tier 3 is the users. Based on the way the system dynamics resolve as a result of the interplay between tiers 1, 2, and 3, the users decide which coin to use.

That's how Bitcoin has been since day one. We all know you simultaneously believe that Bitcoin already has the users at Tier 1 and also that the users should be promoted to tier 1. My advice to you and Peter and the rest of you cohort; go and do it if you believe in it so much. But don't keep implying your preferred model is the reality, or to alter the bitcoin system into that model; the model is as stated above.

If users making all the software engineering decisions is the model you believe in, compete in the real free market by building that model from the ground up, not by shoehorning something different into that model. Your current proposals are parasitism.

+1

how about the usefulness of bitorrent? uh knight, what market does it serve?? dumbass... Roll Eyes

maybe we should ph0rk it also to let the major compenies offer some mass adoption services? XD
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:28:42 AM

It's tiered. 3 tiers.

That's how Bitcoin has been since day one.

Until it changed. It's the same with all Open Source Projects. 'In the first instance', there is the team. Later, there are the teams (competition).

"Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks [and communists] economics."
JeromeL

Activity: 554
Merit: 11

CurioInvest [IEO Live]

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:34:02 AM

Quote from: Peter R

According to you, why does XT only has 10% nodes and 0.1% miners support ?

Quote from: Peter R
It will be fascinating to watch the process unfold.  I'm not sure exactly how it will happen, but somehow the market will find a way to get bigger blocks

Instead of assuming the market wants bigger blocks, I would rather say the market will find its way to bigger throughput. The market doesn't really care about block size nor about their transactions being on the blockchain. The market cares about their transactions being cheap, fast and secure.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:41:22 AM

It's tiered. 3 tiers.

Until it changed. It's the same with all Open Source Projects. 'In the first instance', there is the team. Later, there are the teams (competition).

We all know you simultaneously believe that Bitcoin already has the users at Tier 1 and also that the users should be promoted to tier 1. My advice to you and Peter and the rest of you cohort; go and do it if you believe in it so much. But don't keep implying your preferred model is the reality, or to alter the bitcoin system into that model; the model is as stated above.

Take some more advice: if you wish to make meaningful replies in any debate, it helps to establish your credibility as a participant if you can demonstrate that you comprehend any points you seek to reply to. If you cannot do this, the literal context for the argument cannot even take place, i.e. discourse, but not an argument

Vires in numeris
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 12:40:41 PM

It's tiered. 3 tiers.

We all know you simultaneously believe that Bitcoin already has the users at Tier 1 and also that the users should be promoted to tier 1. My advice to you and Peter and the rest of you cohort; go and do it if you believe in it so much. But don't keep implying your preferred model is the reality, or to alter the bitcoin system into that model; the model is as stated above.

Take some more advice: if you wish to make meaningful replies in any debate, it helps to establish your credibility as a participant if you can demonstrate that you comprehend any points you seek to reply to. If you cannot do this, the literal context for the argument cannot even take place, i.e. discourse, but not an argument

Notorious ad hominem users are not in a position to give advice about credibility.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 12:47:36 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2015, 02:25:54 PM by knight22

It's tiered. 3 tiers.

If tier 1 doesn't care about tier 3  needs in decision making there would be no tier 3 at all.

Hence my point: bitcoin would be useless and worthless. This is what makes the difference between a commercial success and a commercial failure. Here a few example for your convenience: http://saleshq.monster.com/news/articles/2655-the-20-worst-product-failures

Not sure why you work so hard to add bitcoin to that list  Huh

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 12:54:18 PM

It's tiered. 3 tiers.

Notorious ad hominem users are not in a position to give advice about credibility.

Let them do their ad hominem. This is just a natural reaction of defenceless people with no solid arguments. It only hence points of those with real arguments at the end of the day.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: