Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:00:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The 21 Bitcoin Computer  (Read 11782 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:31:47 PM

Ordinarily, that would be through creation of an account on the company's server, which is hackable.  For 21, authorization to access service X might be a function of a 1 satoshi transaction to the 21 servers from the BTC computer.

The latter is fundamentally less hackable than the former how exactly?

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me, or an attempt put some sort of new spin on a fairly routine business (running a server to process transactions) in order to justify a higher valuation the way companies like Square claim to be doing "payments innovation" but they are really just signing up merchants and getting credit card processing commissions (i.e. smoke and mirrors also).

Sounds like a centralized payment system that is superior to the old centralized payment system primarily from the perspective of someone who manages to place himself at the new center.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:35:22 PM

Ordinarily, that would be through creation of an account on the company's server, which is hackable.  For 21, authorization to access service X might be a function of a 1 satoshi transaction to the 21 servers from the BTC computer.

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me, or an attempt put some sort of new spin on a fairly routine business (running a server to process transactions) in order to justify a higher valuation the way companies like Square claim to be doing "payments innovation" but they are really just signing up merchants and getting credit card processing commissions (i.e. smoke and mirrors also).

Sounds like a centralized payment system that is superior to the old centralized payment system primarily from the perspective of someone who manages to place himself at the new center.

One use authentication through blockchain transactions, the other through login/pw  Huh

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:05:54 PM

Ordinarily, that would be through creation of an account on the company's server, which is hackable.  For 21, authorization to access service X might be a function of a 1 satoshi transaction to the 21 servers from the BTC computer.

One use authentication through blockchain transactions, the other through login/pw  Huh

You can not do 1 satoshi transactions on the blockchain. You will be interacting with a server. If there is a server, it can be hacked.

21 says right in their own announcements that they will be providing server back ends. It is also obvious if you look at their jobs postings which were reported here a while back, looking for server-side and cloud experts.

chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:31:57 PM

i will buy one of this. I am curious what can do this little machine Smiley

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 08:41:21 PM

Slow news week. This gadget is getting more attention than it deserves.

brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:43:09 PM

Slow news week. This gadget is getting more attention than it deserves.

"I can't use this thing! It's worthless!"

"I don't understand the value, it's worthless!"

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:43:59 PM

And this is why I'm broke!

Good thing it's on pre-sale, otherwise I'de had to buy one of those...

Mr Felt

Activity: 493
Merit: 518

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:47:53 PM

Don't know, I'm not really a tech person nor do I necessarily use certain words like the industry pros do.  Was just thinking it would be difficult to spoof a spend from the btc computer to a 21 provided address.  I guess an attacker could try and change the receiving wallet, but then authorization to the service may fail (again, not really sure, just thinking out lout if you will). 
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:02:17 PM

I don't expect it to be much use at all, but I will let others try it for me  Grin

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:12:27 PM

The possibilities are endless, 21inc is concerned with creating the tools to enable these use cases.

If the possibilities are endless, give me a list of the top 100 uses please.

This company has a lot to live up to with all the press since their VC earnings, they better hit a home run every at bat or the bitcoin community will chew them up and spit them out.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:41:35 PM

Looks like those computer isnt at the right and fair price all people complaining about the price to get it,and well the pros are too many soo this will end to fail .
Aemon

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:43:56 PM

Does this seem rather expensive for what it does?  It looks like a rasberry Pi, do you have demos or something, Why would I want this?
brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:49:21 PM

Does this seem rather expensive for what it does?  It looks like a rasberry Pi, do you have demos or something, Why would I want this?

If you're asking the question then you probably don't want or need this.

Aemon

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:55:18 PM

If you're asking the question then you probably don't want or need this.

True, I guess with all the sites out there you can quickly sell your Bitcoin for cash quickly, so unless I am missing something, why spend that much when you can do it for free on your phone?
myveryown

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:10:26 PM

I guess this is the type of computer you could use to create and run say a bitcoin funded digital billboard or something that takes bitcoins and causing something to happen - like access to a video stream aka a stremium app
P-Funk

Activity: 360

Token

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:19:33 PM

Apparently being vague and boldly selling a product that is pointless enough to simply confuse people about why it exists is a valid marketing and business strategy in the Bitcoin world. Congrats on this innovation, 21 inc.

Because we need a $400 Raspberry Pi and micro miner to make a bitcoin funded billboard that takes bitcoins and plays videos, or something!
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:45:24 PM

The possibilities are endless, 21inc is concerned with creating the tools to enable these use cases.

If the possibilities are endless, give me a list of the top 100 uses please.

They don't even know. Their own CEO said something to the effect that they want people to figure out on their own what to do with it.

I also find the pricing incredibly stupid. If they want to encourage people to invent and create an entire industry of they-don't-even-know-what using their chips, they should be selling it at cost or less. Why erect barriers to creative inventors with a high price point?

The only thing that really makes sense to me is what someone suggested earlier: There was a hard deadline to ship something (as a financing term or other contractual obligation) and this product is intended to satisfy that obligation, and not do much else.
myveryown

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:47:26 PM

yeah i dont get why you need the miner part n why so expensive .. oh yeah its bitcoin

u could fund a rasp node with a million satoshis or 10 million for a lot less ...
brg444

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:47:46 PM

I swear it's like Balaji killed all you guys dog or something  Huh

I hope for the sake of your relatives you don't have such a despicable attitude in real life  Undecided So much negativity, so much butthurt  Cry

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 10:50:46 PM

I swear it's like Balaji killed all you guys dog or something  Huh

I hope for the sake of your relatives you don't have such a despicable attitude in real life  Undecided So much negativity, so much butthurt  Cry

Are you affiliated with 21 Inc. somehow?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: