Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:15:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S7 Setup [HD]  (Read 76278 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 10:40:12 AM

sometimes I come close to machine or walk by it beeps.
maybe coinsidece but could help fix these errors

Its far, far more likely to be rentrig.co pool going down than a problem with your miner. I can't even think of a physical fault which would do that, but 100 for your network and mining pool. If you really want to test it, put it on one of the super pools (antpool etc) and see what happens.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SunnyIgor

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 07:45:39 PM

Its far, far more likely to be rentrig.co pool going down than a problem with your miner. I can't even think of a physical fault which would do that, but 100 for your network and mining pool. If you really want to test it, put it on one of the super pools (antpool etc) and see what happens.

oke but the fully random offline's?
also pool issue?

The pool warns me s7 offline, just like that!
the beeps are not really a problem.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 11:41:15 PM

oke but the fully random offline's?
also pool issue?

The pool warns me s7 offline, just like that!
the beeps are not really a problem.

Yes, test with something else.

SunnyIgor

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:11:02 AM

some S5 also have this problem.
they must be powered off and on again to work.

so I think it has nothing to do with the miniing pools and more with the machine itself.
How long would an RMA process take as I am still in the warrenty periode.
I live in the Netherlands
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 05:24:40 PM

You'll be serviced by Bitmain china then, so potentially measured in weeks.

SunnyIgor

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 09:04:34 PM

You'll be serviced by Bitmain china then, so potentially measured in weeks.

oke I have chanced PSU's maybe this helps,
but a lot of others seem to have the same problem.
if I had an easy remote power off and on than I could live whit it but I buy a 2000$ +machine and it goes offline whenever he feels like it.

If things keep the way they are I will be reqesting RMA just before me 90 days are up.
When do they begin when machine is deleverd right?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 04:14:51 AM

If things keep the way they are I will be reqesting RMA just before me 90 days are up. When do they begin when machine is deleverd right?

They have previously said from sale date, but it should be from day of receipt. Don't cut it too close.

left-ca

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:19:54 AM

Dogie i bought the  EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 120-G2-1300-XR    you reccomended and it arrived today...but there are not enough pci ports to even plug into the miner?Huh? Im very confused on what to do now
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 07:42:49 AM

Dogie i bought the  EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 120-G2-1300-XR    you reccomended and it arrived today...but there are not enough pci ports to even plug into the miner?Huh? Im very confused on what to do now

You have 8 PCI-E, that's 1 for the controller, 3 for a hashing board and 2 for two hashing boards.

left-ca

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 09:41:27 PM

Its working, however this damn thing stops hashing every few hours and needs to be restarted
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2015, 11:01:45 AM

Its working, however this damn thing stops hashing every few hours and needs to be restarted

Are you able to connect when it stops mining?

DRKMSTR

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 12:17:06 AM

I don't think 1300W is good enough for an antminer, especially when beginners are present.

I'm running 2 different power supplies (RM850 Corsair and Quark 750 Rosewill) and they're doing perfectly. My rig runs at about 1KW (Batch 6) and the PSU doing 2 hashing boards isn't even breaking a sweat (RM850).

I'm also monitoring power to make sure each PSU runs on less than 80% power.

But on to my question: What do you think about the new Batch 6 and Batch 8 miners, with the giant Buck Converter on it? What's the reason for this, and how might it affect efficiency and stability?

The MAD DOGE: http://maddoge.com/
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 01:55:34 AM

I don't think 1300W is good enough for an antminer, especially when beginners are present.

I'm running 2 different power supplies (RM850 Corsair and Quark 750 Rosewill) and they're doing perfectly. My rig runs at about 1KW (Batch 6) and the PSU doing 2 hashing boards isn't even breaking a sweat (RM850).

I'm also monitoring power to make sure each PSU runs on less than 80% power.

But on to my question: What do you think about the new Batch 6 and Batch 8 miners, with the giant Buck Converter on it? What's the reason for this, and how might it affect efficiency and stability?

1300w EVGA G2 is absolutely fine. Its power is very clean/stable. It even has some leeway for a bit of overclocking and the 10 years warranty on the PSU make this pick a no brainer; If you want the best PSU to do the job, this one is it.

Second picks would be server PSU's since they cost less for the same job.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 09:02:01 AM

I have not seen it, sorry.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 05:08:20 PM

He's referring to the large inductor and various capacitors you see in the top right corner underneath the 6 pin PCI-e jacks:

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 06:08:05 PM

He's referring to the large inductor and various capacitors you see in the top right corner underneath the 6 pin PCI-e jacks:

Well as I have said in a couple of other threads.  Smiley I believe / hope that the inductor & capacitors we can see on Batch 8, and presumably batch 6, Hash Boards are for a Buck Converter chip that is on the other side of the board. So I will say again if anyone gets a chance to take a photo of the other side that would be great.

So assuming it is a Buck Converter, which does make sense because without it the Core Voltage with only 15 Chips in the chain (was 18 on the 162 chip systems) is too high at 0.8V. So what this would then give us would be a hybrid system with a string of 15 Chip Tripples but fed with the voltage from the Buck Converter reduced to around 10 Volts.

Now if all is the above is correct the great thing for Bitmain to have done would be to have made the Buck Converter voltage software adjustable.  Smiley Even without that there would almost certainly be a way, such as pencil mod, of adjusting the voltage.

Hopefully we will get some Batch 6 in the field soon and may be able to begin answering some questions, and seeing what has happened to the overall efficiency?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
williamjclark

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 02:30:15 PM

Hi Dogie!

Thanks for the awesome guides! I'm getting my feet wet in the mining world and they've been both informative and helpful!

If I was to buy the S7, I would definitely have a problem with the noise. I've been looking online to see if there are any solutions and it appears as if there are two options: get new fans, or soundproof the room it's in.

The fan alternative seems like a much easier thing to proceed with and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions...

1) What kind of connector does the fan use?
2) Do you recommend a particular fan that could get the sound level to a significantly lower amount?

Thanks,

Will
williamjclark

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 05:16:33 PM

The cabinets I looked at were all too expensive.  Went as high as $8,000 US.  I made one myself out of an old file cabinet.  I'm sure the expensive cabinet would have been better, but mine did the job well enough.  The S7's noise is about the same as a vacuum running.  The cabinet made it more like a dishwasher.

https://i.imgur.com/rvYjQN0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dhYNXja.jpg

Thank you! That looks interesting...
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2015, 07:30:27 PM

If I was to buy the S7, I would definitely have a problem with the noise. I've been looking online to see if there are any solutions and it appears as if there are two options: get new fans, or soundproof the room it's in. The fan alternative seems like a much easier thing to proceed with and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions...

1) What kind of connector does the fan use?
2) Do you recommend a particular fan that could get the sound level to a significantly lower amount?

1) I don't know what the industry standard name is, but its a 4 pin used for PWM controlled server fans.
2) There isn't really a suitable replacement for S7s which produces a significant improvement, at normal ambient temperatures. You can run them hotter (manual fan speed) though.

williamjclark

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 09:49:41 PM

The cabinets I looked at were all too expensive.  Went as high as $8,000 US.  I made one myself out of an old file cabinet.  I'm sure the expensive cabinet would have been better, but mine did the job well enough.  The S7's noise is about the same as a vacuum running.  The cabinet made it more like a dishwasher.

https://i.imgur.com/rvYjQN0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dhYNXja.jpg

Thank you! That looks interesting...

The white sheet on the bottom is a piece of cement board.  Later though I bought a small metal wire rack and put it inside.  The S7 sits on the lower shelf, and the two power supplies are on the shelf above it.

For the intake vent, I cut a piece from a furnace filter.

I actually got the cabinet at a used office furniture store.  When I told the guy what I was using it for (and didn't need the drawers), he gave me a broken one for free.  Smiley

The most expensive part of the cabinet were the 3 fans.

https://i.imgur.com/G01qkEZ.jpg

Thank you so much! This looks like the kind of thing that I might need to set up. Please could you let me know what fans you use and how you installed them/connected them to the power supply.

Thanks, Will
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: