Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:23:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New [ANN] [$XSEED] BitSeeds - Rainforest Foundation Charity - SHA256 PoW/PoS 10%  (Read 19465 times)
altcointrader25

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 09:24:41 AM

What is the current supply for this coin?  Coinmarketcap has it listed as "?"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
worth (OP)

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 10:36:16 AM

any nodes? got to 8k and now no sync.

What block are you on now if you mouse over the "syncing" animation or the check mark? I'm seeing block 16,371 at the moment.  
no animations on linux command line lol....
just a bunch of refused connections.

Sorry for the slow response. I missed the new posts to the thread over the holidays.  I didn't realize you were using Linux, but you didn't answer the question about which block you got to. Are you still stuck?

If you meant block 8,000 I think that's where the current version (1.2) took over so is it possible you've compiled the old 1.1 (May) release? Just asking since it would seem to fit the problem you're describing.
The official Github is:
https://github.com/BitSeedsOrg/Bitseeds

Sorry but i am too having problems syncing the wallet could someone please share a node list? and would be interesting to post it too in the ann paga for the new users, thanks

What OS are you using and what is the highest block you've downloaded?  (See above)  The official addnodes are all built into the wallet and the node list will be changing a little later this month when we do the relaunch.

hi mate just a question xseed has a proper and professional developer or is a occasional coder?

Hi Docker,
 Yes, our developer is a New Zealand based professional named Luke Williams who also goes by Xocel. He created the Iquidus explorer and is one of the core devs for Jumbucks.

He has some more info about himself on his site: http://iquidus.io/

Keep in mind the original dev left in May and we had a temporary interim dev provide a smaller update back in October, before Luke came onboard in mid November. So the current version was made by the temporary dev (who I think is more of an occasional coder) but it will be replaced with version 2.0 with entirely new codebase a little later this month.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions about the project.
worth (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 10:42:27 AM

What is the current supply for this coin?  Coinmarketcap has it listed as "?"

The current supply is 6,107,073 excluding the custodial wallet belonging to the Rainforest Foundation that is used only for staking coins to fund the Foundation and the project. 
worth (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 02:45:36 AM

Quick Jan 17th update:  spoke with Luke (our dev) night before last and while we're still holding off on announcing a specific date for the relaunch, we are still looking at sometime this month. 

I've also been keeping an eye on the whole Bitcoin scalability debate that's been raging for a while now and discussed it with Luke and we're going to go with a 4MB block size limit instead of the 2MB one originally planned for the relaunch (already increased from the current size) and we're also looking at incorporating a couple of the newer BIPs (Bitcoin Improvement Proposals) to add to the scalability and security of BitSeeds.

The idea is to be as proactive about these things as possible and structure things to avoid messy hard forks down the road. We can expect to gain a much larger user base after the Rainforest Foundation really begins promoting the project and the next pieces like the gift cards and merchant services through coin.co come online later in Q1 of 2016, so it makes sense to plan for these events in advance.

Will keep you guys posted as we get closer to the relaunch.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2016, 02:45:31 PM

I've also been keeping an eye on the whole Bitcoin scalability debate that's been raging for a while now and discussed it with Luke and we're going to go with a 4MB block size limit instead of the 2MB one originally planned for the relaunch (already increased from the current size) and we're also looking at incorporating a couple of the newer BIPs (Bitcoin Improvement Proposals) to add to the scalability and security of BitSeeds.

Nice to future proof things now and it will also give Bitseeds an edge that Bitcoin doesn't have. What BIPs in particular if you don't mind sharing?
delong

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:25:10 PM

Quick Jan 17th update:  spoke with Luke (our dev) night before last and while we're still holding off on announcing a specific date for the relaunch, we are still looking at sometime this month. 

The idea is to be as proactive about these things as possible and structure things to avoid messy hard forks down the road. We can expect to gain a much larger user base after the Rainforest Foundation really begins promoting the project and the next pieces like the gift cards and merchant services through coin.co come online later in Q1 of 2016, so it makes sense to plan for these events in advance.

Will keep you guys posted as we get closer to the relaunch.

Thanks for the update - this is all great news!  Forward thinking, and it's nice to know there is activity going on behind the scenes... Looking forward to the future with BitSeeds!
garthkiser

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:51:44 AM

I mined BitSeeds at launch last year and am having trouble firing up a wallet. I built from source and am not getting any connections.

Could somebody please provide a node list?

Anybody running a connected client can run the "getpeerinfo" command then paste the results here. Just enter this command into the debug console.

Thanks. I see this question has been asked before and not answered, so this would be a big help.

worth (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 08:46:29 AM

Nice to future proof things now and it will also give Bitseeds an edge that Bitcoin doesn't have. What BIPs in particular if you don't mind sharing?

Sorry to keep you waiting so far, but I'll be talking more about the details soon.  Looks like we're not going to make the hoped-for January release date, but we're very close and I'll post full details leading up to it.

I mined BitSeeds at launch last year and am having trouble firing up a wallet. I built from source and am not getting any connections.

Could somebody please provide a node list?

Thanks. I see this question has been asked before and not answered, so this would be a big help.

People have asked for this a couple of times before and I responded to each of them asking for details (to make sure they were on version 1.2 for example) and never got a response afterwards.

I'm trying to avoid posting node info in the thread because I know at least two of the IP addresses will not be correct for the new version and I don't want anyone coming in here later and accidentally using out of date info.  I just PMed Garth with the info - anyone else who is having trouble connecting please PM me and I'll send the info to you, too.
worth (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 12:56:11 AM

Our developer Luke is currently in Spain speaking at a tech conference, but is very close to ready for the BitSeeds 2.0 relaunch with fresh codebase, reinstated PoW, plus new features. Make sure you open and stake your wallets in the meantime and be ready for the coin swap which I'll be posting details about once they're finalized and the date is set. 

Remember you can download the current 1.2 for Mac and Windows here:
https://github.com/BitSeedsOrg/Bitseeds#download-bitseeds

or if you're compiling yourself, make sure you do so from the official repository:
https://github.com/BitSeedsOrg/Bitseeds

It seems that people who were having trouble syncing were compiling from the old repository from the original thread, but we were locked out of that by the original dev so it should not be used. Only use the official repository I'm linking to here and in the OP. 
OrsonJ

Activity: 597
Merit: 253

... and the swarm is headed towards us

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 02:58:45 PM

Hi, I have some questions.

Who controls the 100m BitSeeds that were originally for the foundation? If they are with you now how did you come to control them (and not the original thread)? If you do control them would you consider burning some? A premine of 100m for a coin with a current supply of 6m seems frankly insane.

What is distribution like? You said in the op in September that a fully functioning block explorer with a rich list would be coming shortly. Is it available now?

Sorry if the information is elsewhere and i missed it. Thanks.

Zano alias: @orsonj  |  Twitter: @Cryptoschild
HYPERfuture

Activity: 686

HYPER project manager and PR + GoldPieces [GP]

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 05:00:21 PM

It's a nice idea with the rainforest charity, but isn't the SHA256 mining itself bad for the environment?

HYPER Gaming Currency -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=624651 GP RPG Currency -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1053441 https://cryptogalaxies.com -> Blockchain Based Space Strategy MMO. Crypto Galaxies on Bitcointalk -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1374470
worth (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 05:12:23 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 11:53:57 AM by worth

Who controls the 100m BitSeeds that were originally for the foundation? If they are with you now how did you come to control them (and not the original thread)? If you do control them would you consider burning some? A premine of 100m for a coin with a current supply of 6m seems frankly insane.

What is distribution like? You said in the op in September that a fully functioning block explorer with a rich list would be coming shortly. Is it available now?

Hi Orson, I'm happy to answer questions. Most of what you're asking is elsewhere in the thread but I can't blame you for not wanting to read through pages of posts since I've done that before with other coins.

The custodial funds are still owned by the foundation and the project is still being run by Gabe Aaronovitch, who started the project and forged the relationship with the Rainforest Foundation.  The difference is that the original dev that was hired to do the tech work decided, for reasons I still don't understand, to attempt to destroy the project.  

I was not a part of the project originally, but had offered to volunteer some of my time on the project before the dev went AWOL and tried to "burn the forest down" so to speak. Gabe and I ended up talking on the phone a bit as I tried to help out, and I ended up officially part of the project and now basically am the public face of it.  I posted this new thread a while back because we don't have access to the account used to create the first thread anymore - I think the account was handled by the original dev but I'd have to double check that with Gabe.

The private keys for all project funds were retained by Gabe and we've moved the funds to new wallets to secure them from any potential sabotage from the first dev, and to stake some smaller ones in rotation to keep the network working as smoothly as possible until we get mining back with our new codebase.  

The size of the custodial account was decided upon before the project originally launched in April 2014 in discussions with the RF and it is only used to stake and generate (staked) funding for the project and the RF, so burning part of those funds is not too likely as it would lower the planned funding for the Rainforest Foundation's mission.  

We will be having an Iquidus explorer which will include a rich list starting with the relaunch with the new codebase. We had planned this for September but unfortunately this was based on the work we were expecting from a replacement dev we hired who... let's just say he didn't produce the promised results, so we fired him.

Since the tale end of last year, we are now working with Luke Williams, the guy who created the Iquidus explorer we were (and still are) planning to use. He's a developer with 10 years of experience and is one of the core devs for Jumbucks.  We are waiting right now for him to finish up the prep work for the 2.0 relaunch which should be happening very soon.

You'll be able to check the distribution more completely then (I've been wanting to see a rich list myself for some time now) but in the mean time you can check the distribution tab on the XSEED market page on Bittrex to see everything being held on the exchange.  

Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for your interest.

It's a nice idea with the rainforest charity, but isn't the SHA256 mining itself bad for the environment?

Good question, but compared to what? To not mining, or to other POW algorithms?

If you compare SHA256 to other mining algos, it's one of the more efficient ones in widespread use, and has the most developed ASICs which means much lower power usage per hash than say Scrypt ASICs, and certainly lower than most or all GPU mining. Being the same algo as Bitcoin also means that hardware like the 21.co miners will be compatible and it will enjoy the largest base of future small, low-powered efficient mining hardware.

There's also the question of the power source for the mining device - if it's solar, for example, running the device adds no direct environmental cost.

Ultimately, a major part of the reason for the selection of SHA-256 is it's a requirement of our payment processor coin.co who will be giving merchants the ability to accept payments in BitSeeds while receiving a charitable tax deduction.

Hope that makes sense, and let me know if you have any other questions or feedback.
OrsonJ

Activity: 597
Merit: 253

... and the swarm is headed towards us

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 02:38:51 PM

Hi Orson, I'm happy to answer questions. Most of what you're asking is elsewhere in the thread but I can't blame you for not wanting to read through pages of posts since I've done that before with other coins.

The custodial funds are still owned by the foundation and the project is still being run by Gabe Aaronovitch, who started the project and forged the relationship with the Rainforest Foundation.  The difference is that the original dev that was hired to do the tech work decided, for reasons I still don't understand, to attempt to destroy the project.  

I was not a part of the project originally, but had offered to volunteer some of my time on the project before the dev went AWOL and tried to "burn the forest down" so to speak. Gabe and I ended up talking on the phone a bit as I tried to help out, and I ended up officially part of the project and now basically am the public face of it.  I posted this new thread a while back because we don't have access to the account used to create the first thread anymore - I think the account was handled by the original dev but I'd have to double check that with Gabe.

The private keys for all project funds were retained by Gabe and we've moved the funds to new wallets to secure them from any potential sabotage from the first dev, and to stake some smaller ones in rotation to keep the network working as smoothly as possible until we get mining back with our new codebase.  

The size of the custodial account was decided upon before the project originally launched in April 2014 in discussions with the RF and it is only used to stake and generate (staked) funding for the project and the RF, so burning part of those funds is not too likely as it would lower the planned funding for the Rainforest Foundation's mission.  

We will be having an Iquidus explorer which will include a rich list starting with the relaunch with the new codebase. We had planned this for September but unfortunately this was based on the work we were expecting from a replacement dev we hired who... let's just say he didn't produce the promised results, so we fired him.

Since the tale end of last year, we are now working with Luke Williams, the guy who created the Iquidus explorer we were (and still are) planning to use. He's a developer with 10 years of experience and is one of the core devs for Jumbucks.  We are waiting right now for him to finish up the prep work for the 2.0 relaunch which should be happening very soon.

You'll be able to check the distribution more completely then (I've been wanting to see a rich list myself for some time now) but in the mean time you can check the distribution tab on the XSEED market page on Bittrex to see everything being held on the exchange.  

Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for your interest.

Good question, but compared to what? To not mining, or to other POW algorithms?

If you compare SHA256 to other mining algos, it's one of the more efficient ones in widespread use, and has the most developed ASICs which means much lower power usage per hash than say Scrypt ASICs, and certainly lower than most or all GPU mining. Being the same algo as Bitcoin also means that hardware like the 21.co miners will be compatible and it will enjoy the largest base of future small, low-powered efficient mining hardware.

There's also the question of the power source for the mining device - if it's solar, for example, running the device adds no direct environmental cost.

Ultimately, a major part of the reason for the selection of SHA-256 is it's a requirement of our payment processor coin.co who will be giving merchants the ability to accept payments in BitSeeds while receiving a charitable tax deduction.

Hope that makes sense, and let me know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Thanks a lot for the detailed response worth. I'll be keeping an eye on the thread and will look out for that explorer. Best of luck to you!

Zano alias: @orsonj  |  Twitter: @Cryptoschild
worth (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:41:03 AM

Thanks a lot for the detailed response worth. I'll be keeping an eye on the thread and will look out for that explorer. Best of luck to you!

Glad to help, Orson!
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:12:05 PM

Any updates on where Bitseeds is at?
crypto182

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 04:18:55 AM

been awful quiet in here lately, is the new dev too busy with other projects? anything going on here?
worth (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:57:02 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2016, 03:42:36 AM by worth

Any updates on where Bitseeds is at?

been awful quiet in here lately, is the new dev too busy with other projects? anything going on here?

Sorry for the slow updates, guys. Our developer Luke was hired by a company in Spain and he's in the process of getting a visa to help him move from his home in New Zealand to Spain. This and his work on Jumbucks put him way behind his originally planned schedule and unfortunately for a while he also wasn't keeping us updated on what was going on so we couldn't update the thread here.  

He's apologized for the delays and said he'll be giving us a hard deadline he can meet in the next couple of days. Once he's done so I'll post the info here.

Update: Luke will be returning to NZ on the 24th and will finish things up for the relaunch then. He needs to sit down and go back over the code before giving a hard ETA, but sounds like he's already got most of it done and there's not a lot left for him to do so it won't take long.
sorryforthat

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 02:42:55 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2016, 06:22:15 AM by sorryforthat

Hoping to blow the dust off my S5 to get the POW rolling along
worth (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 04:42:29 AM

Hoping to blow the dusk off my S5 to get the POW rolling along

Yes, I don't have any mining devices anymore since I live in a place with the most expensive electricity in the US, but I have had some funds on MiningRigRentals for a while now and am looking forward to mining XSEED again.
worth (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2016, 10:14:16 PM

FYI, blockchain got a little stuck yesterday and into today, but I just got it moving again.

While the chain has been frequently a little slow, actually stalling out for an extended time like that has been really rare since last summer. As mentioned upthread, Luke will be giving us an ETA for the remainder of the work he needs to do before the relaunch and coin swap. Once we have POW reintroduced these slow blockchain issues will be a thing of the past since mining seems to work a lot better at keeping the network moving smoothly.

We're in the home stretch here, so in the mean time, please remember to open and stake your wallet to help get us there smoothly!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: