Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:13:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN AntRouter R1: 1st wireless networking device with bitcoin mining chip  (Read 77472 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 08:13:58 AM

Is the cgminer-gekko version working on a device that is locked to mine at AntPool solo mode(forced)?

cgminer-gekko is for sidehacks compac sticks hooked to the usb.. it does nothing with the internal chip.. that still uses the cgminer that is compiled specific for it. unfortunately we cant update cgminer for that until we get the source code drivers.

I thought we would see a lot more from bitmain.  I figured a firmware update someday would show a lot.  But they seem to have backed off R1's.

I cant decide if they are just not focusing on them, or if they just wanted PR around time 21 inc was doing computer.   They beat 21 in my mind with router with chip vs RPI with chip (i know it has some software... but it's kinda lame from what I've seen).

I just can't figure out what they are doing with R1 currently.  I'm happy with my 1 so if they want to stop and make it a cool low production miner... i'm ok with that.

Yes very happy with my two, excellent value for money as a play thing, and I have a few ideas for some tweeks. There has been a lot of effort put into the design and still plenty of scope for improvements so I hope we see more from Bitmain. I still think all available effort has been and continues to be on the S7 particularly with Avalon out there now, BW.com on the horizon & the way the exchange rate is, makes the R1 low priority.

Rich

They really are fun to play with.  It is a toy to me to be honest.  I think if they don't make more..... maybe one day value goes up a little which I would not mind.   Or they are designing next product a R2 with even more power (that would be interesting to me).   But I feel most likely they are just focusing on bigger miner sales.

I love my R1's with crazy guy's mod as many here know Smiley. It gives you the bitmain GUI for setting up U3's and fixes zombies.  And still allows you to mine on antpool on lotto which I'm doing for fun as I like seeing stats not empty there.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 07:22:56 AM

Can anyone tell me how to access the U3 api when it is connected to the R1?  I use CryptoGlance to monitor my miners and it needs an IP address and port to get the api stuff to display stats.  The only IP I have is the R1 and CryptoGlance sees it just fine, but how do I get it to see the U3?  When my U3 was hooked up to my computer I could assign it a port via the command line, but there does not appear to be anyway to do that with the R1.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 07:45:06 AM

Can anyone tell me how to access the U3 api when it is connected to the R1?  I use CryptoGlance to monitor my miners and it needs an IP address and port to get the api stuff to display stats.  The only IP I have is the R1 and CryptoGlance sees it just fine, but how do I get it to see the U3?  When my U3 was hooked up to my computer I could assign it a port via the command line, but there does not appear to be anyway to do that with the R1.

its the same as cgminer api but its set to use 4029 instead of 4028.
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 08:05:44 AM

Nope, that didn't do it, still shows it as "off line".  I tried 4027 and 4030, too.  No other ip addresses show on my router so it must be behind the R1 somewhere.

aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 08:32:31 AM

Nope, that didn't do it, still shows it as "off line".  I tried 4027 and 4030, too.  No other ip addresses show on my router so it must be behind the R1 somewhere.

it is it.. check the running processes..
you should see -api-network -api-listen and -api-port 4029
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 07:08:44 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2015, 07:31:07 PM by Mikestang

Hmm, well I'll look into the processes that are running and see what's what, thanks for the tips.

Edit, ok, I found the process and it does appear that port 4029 is the correct port, but CryptoGlance does not talk to the U3.  Any other ideas?

I restarted the R1 and now the U3 isn't hashing at all.  Hmm...
Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 11:41:11 PM

Ok, I figured out how to see through the R1 to the U3 api.  You have to open port 4029 in the R1 lua interface under Network -> Firewall -> Traffic Rules.  There is already a rule existing for port 4028 (the R1 api port), so just make the same entry for port 4029 and you can access the U3 api.

RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 10:25:05 AM

I have eventually got the R1 so that it Mines & is accesible via wireless... I seem now not to have access on the Ethernet but that is not a problem and not sure if it's a coincidence but the Power consumption has now dropped to 6.5W running at 225MHz which is as high as I can go with zero errors. Hash is 12.38GHs giving 0.525J/GH. Temperature on the case stable at a nice warm 45C.

Has anyone heard any more from Bitmain about this statement you get on the Status Screen?

When the router is running you can get Bitmain points.(1 point/GHz/H), which can be used to buy something on www.bitmiantech.com or www.hashnest.com.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 10:45:41 AM

I have eventually got the R1 so that it Mines & is accesible via wireless... I seem now not to have access on the Ethernet but that is not a problem and not sure if it's a coincidence but the Power consumption has now dropped to 6.5W running at 225MHz which is as high as I can go with zero errors. Hash is 12.38GHs giving 0.525J/GH. Temperature on the case stable at a nice warm 45C.

Has anyone heard any more from Bitmain about this statement you get on the Status Screen?

When the router is running you can get Bitmain points.(1 point/GHz/H), which can be used to buy something on www.bitmiantech.com or www.hashnest.com.

Rich

i wondered about that too.. your mining score drops down when you dont mine. so its not that..
RichBC

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 10:51:13 AM

Rich

i wondered about that too.. your mining score drops down when you dont mine. so its not that..

Oh I thought that would be the Points, but have usually been mining so had not seen it drop. Also I guess it's way too high for 1 point/GHz/H?

I raised a ticket asking the question but will be surprised if I get an answer.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
aarons6
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 10:59:49 AM

Oh I thought that would be the Points, but have usually been mining so had not seen it drop. Also I guess it's way too high for 1 point/GHz/H?

I raised a ticket asking the question but will be surprised if I get an answer.

Rich

maybe they figured out that giving you points for mining could be abused.. there is nothing keeping you from throwing more hash on the solo pool and getting enough points to get some free stuff.
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 06:42:47 AM

Is the cgminer-gekko version working on a device that is locked to mine at AntPool solo mode(forced)?

cgminer-gekko is for sidehacks compac sticks hooked to the usb.. it does nothing with the internal chip.. that still uses the cgminer that is compiled specific for it. unfortunately we cant update cgminer for that until we get the source code drivers.

I thought we would see a lot more from bitmain.  I figured a firmware update someday would show a lot.  But they seem to have backed off R1's.

I cant decide if they are just not focusing on them, or if they just wanted PR around time 21 inc was doing computer.   They beat 21 in my mind with router with chip vs RPI with chip (i know it has some software... but it's kinda lame from what I've seen).

I just can't figure out what they are doing with R1 currently.  I'm happy with my 1 so if they want to stop and make it a cool low production miner... i'm ok with that.

they seem to be putting all their effort into the S7 at the moment. I got a reply from them and they said R1 will be back just no exact date at the moment. The U3 will not be back Sad
RichBC

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 07:32:11 AM

they seem to be putting all their effort into the S7 at the moment. I got a reply from them and they said R1 will be back just no exact date at the moment. The U3 will not be back Sad

Makes sense to put all the effort into S7, which with all the versions and batches has obviously been stretching them.. The next 6 Months before the halving are very important for everyone and with SP50 being deployed, whatever Bitfury is doing, plus Avalon shipping and BW hopefully in the next Month Bitmain is no longer the only game in Town.

Good to hear the R1 will be back I think it's a great entry level / learning product and with it's wireless & bridging capability it's quite a flexible device. To be honest there is no place for a U3 now that we have R1. Here's hoping they have an R2 with the BM1385 chip in design?

Rich

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 07:45:52 AM

I thought we would see a lot more from bitmain.  I figured a firmware update someday would show a lot.  But they seem to have backed off R1's.

I cant decide if they are just not focusing on them, or if they just wanted PR around time 21 inc was doing computer.   They beat 21 in my mind with router with chip vs RPI with chip (i know it has some software... but it's kinda lame from what I've seen).

I just can't figure out what they are doing with R1 currently.  I'm happy with my 1 so if they want to stop and make it a cool low production miner... i'm ok with that.

That is not a bad thing.  You can get U3's right now from resellers like crazyguy.   You had a high MOQ needed to buy  U3's from bitmain.

I think we can read into that no more U3's... which hopefully means one day U4's possibly.. we can hope at least.

Mikestang
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 08:32:31 AM

I think we can read into that no more U3's... which hopefully means one day U4's possibly.. we can hope at least.
Would you really buy a U4?  I wouldn't, not after what a mess the U3 was/has been.  It's only now that I have the R1 controlling it that I have started to enjoy using it, I don't think I would trust another pod usb miner from Bitmain.

Now if they develop a U4/U5 with a built in controller a la the R1 I may be interested, but a stand alone U3 update?  No thank you.
RichBC

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 08:59:21 AM

Would you really buy a U4?  I wouldn't, not after what a mess the U3 was/has been.  It's only now that I have the R1 controlling it that I have started to enjoy using it, I don't think I would trust another pod usb miner from Bitmain.

Now if they develop a U4/U5 with a built in controller a la the R1 I may be interested, but a stand alone U3 update?  No thank you.

My view is that you need Miners to make money. S1, S3, S5, S7 etc and Miners to play with, learning, experimenting, spreading the word, U1, U2, U3 etc. I think that the U3, aided and abetted by a MOQ and it's frequent Zombies was a mistake. It does not make any real money but attempted unnecessarily to be a step up from the U2.

I think at the "Play" end that the R1 is a great product and packs a lot of punch for the money. It's a worthy successor to the U series, and some good decision making by Bitmain in the specification.

Fully integrated PSU & Controller, Ethernet & Wireless, works as a Router / Bridge / Charger. Based on OpenWrt, Firmware easily upgraded. No PC or RPi needed, familiar web interface and as such a good learning tool if you are going to progress to an S Series.

It's got the added attraction of being a Lotto device, although I urge Bitmain to significantly improve the Antrouter Web Page Stats with more meaningful / fun data and to deliver on the Points side of things. As I have said a couple of times I look forward to an R2 with BM1385?

I do think, from a home POV there is a gap between the R Series & S Series, however that is not a 4 Chip U3 style device, which neither makes money or is more fun than an R1. It's at least a single S7 board 45 Chip style device.

Rich

HolyScott

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 05:28:08 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2017, 10:27:53 PM by HolyScott

I have about a Dozen AntRouter R1 in Stock / Brand New Factory Sealed for Anyone Looking for 1 to play with on my website.
coolmanme101

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 08:24:11 PM

I feel like we need miners like this, just for fun.  Like with some USB asic miners you know that you will be losing money from the start, BUT WHO CARES!  For me bitcoin mining isn't about making thousands or becoming rich.  Its more about the fun of it, being able to say you mine bitcoin, and just messing around with the things.

Although something like this is a bit ridiculous.  Its locked into solo mode, the mining controller sucks, and seems unfinished.  They tried to cram too much into this little thing, and seriously, it only supports the U3.  Maybe i would consider this later in time when it has been refined. But for now, ill stick to losing money with my U2.
RichBC

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 08:41:47 PM

Although something like this is a bit ridiculous.  Its locked into solo mode, the mining controller sucks, and seems unfinished.  They tried to cram too much into this little thing, and seriously, it only supports the U3.  Maybe i would consider this later in time when it has been refined. But for now, ill stick to losing money with my U2.

So you think it is ridiculous? Do you own one, have you used one? Yes it comes set to Antpool but if you read the thread you will see several ways of unlocking it and pointing it wherever you want.

Why does the mining Controller Suck & seem unfinished, from what I have seen it works with no problems, please explain what you mean?

What is wrong with cramming a lot of functionality into a device, most people would regard that as a benefit? Then on the one hand you are criticising how much has been crammed in and then in the next breath bemoaning the fact that it only supports a U3?

Seems a bit rich that you prefer a loss making U2 over a device that as well as it's many other features can actually mine profitably.

Rich

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 09:07:15 PM

Although something like this is a bit ridiculous.  Its locked into solo mode, the mining controller sucks, and seems unfinished.  They tried to cram too much into this little thing, and seriously, it only supports the U3.  Maybe i would consider this later in time when it has been refined. But for now, ill stick to losing money with my U2.

So you think it is ridiculous? Do you own one, have you used one? Yes it comes set to Antpool but if you read the thread you will see several ways of unlocking it and pointing it wherever you want.

Why does the mining Controller Suck & seem unfinished, from what I have seen it works with no problems, please explain what you mean?

What is wrong with cramming a lot of functionality into a device, most people would regard that as a benefit? Then on the one hand you are criticising how much has been crammed in and then in the next breath bemoaning the fact that it only supports a U3?

Seems a bit rich that you prefer a loss making U2 over a device that as well as it's many other features can actually mine profitably.

Rich

Considering antpage I think there is a decent amount of them in here who have not used them.   Just is a very limited group.   

I think it was a neat idea a little weak as far as internal mining chip.... but a nice new toy.  Add crazyguy custom firmware and 3 U3's it's become a useful lotto device for me.   So I have used it and I do like it.

But I can see why they would focus on S7 vs tons of little miners.  Not near as  much money here on sales I would guess I don't have any sales numbers on profit but S7 compared to R1 I'm guessing a huge difference in profit margins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: