Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:41:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [AEON] Aeon Speculation  (Read 190016 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
exciter0

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 07:54:52 PM

Has anyone noticed minergate's new "xmr.to" service called changelly? (changelly.com)
It has all the CN coins except AEON  Sad

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄ G O L D M I N T ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▬▬▬ Blockchain based platform which operates Gold-backed Cryptoassets ▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬ BLOGTelegramSlackANN ThreadTwitterReddit ▬▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 01:00:23 AM

Someone goofing around on the ask stack on Bittrex. 

I see wot u did.  I'm really excited about the new "8-flation" as well.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 01:09:13 AM

Pushed to the git - should now never cause pool bans, and GREATLY reduce stale rate.

110/110 accepts (NSFW): https://ottrbutt.com/miner/wolfaeon-11052015.png

You need a new image host mate; Firefox is throwing a security warning when I try to visit that png.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 02:25:26 AM

Liking the 0.8888 idea.

It seems like most people support this. Can we have a vote to make it official? How long before the code can be changed to reflect it?

There is no plan to have a vote. The code can be changed "soon" once it is clear this idea is accepted. It is an easy change that just involves taking the social contract 0.88888...%/year, converting it into a per block divisor and coding block_reward = supply / divisor. I just did a quick estimate and it looks like around 1/15m of the outstanding money supply per block, but when I code it I will make sure the right number is used.

americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 02:51:10 AM

There is no plan to have a vote. The code can be changed "soon" once it is clear this idea is accepted. It is an easy change that just involves taking the social contract 0.88888...%/year, converting it into a per block divisor and coding block_reward = supply / divisor. I just did a quick estimate and it looks like around 1/15m of the outstanding money supply per block, but when I code it I will make sure the right number is used.

No vote, but I am about to publish a topic now encapsulating all the thoughts so far.  This way no one (even those who don't routinely visit Aeon topics) can ever claim that this was decided in a vacuum.  We maintain transparency for future adopters of Aeon, which is important to me.  It will eventually be 2017 and people will come looking through these threads for the history of this blockchain before they decide whether they want to get involved.   

cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 03:01:26 AM

There's no need to make a hullabaloo on the emission change. Just make the change.

I'd be more interested in when we can vote on the currency symbol.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 03:07:30 AM

There's no need to make a hullabaloo on the emission change. Just make the change.

I'd be more interested in when we can vote on the currency symbol.

Well, the topic is made already: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1239063.0 but I won't bump it so if it sinks naturally then it sinks.  

Also, I've read through your history recently and respect your opinions; you seem to have a good mind for a lot of the same things I'm interested in.  Do you think I'm correct in pushing for æ to be the symbol in light of the recent inflation rate changes?  

On an entirely different note, I just saw this  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  

250: In Mandarin, 250 can mean "imbecile" if read in a certain way. 二百五 (èr bǎi wǔ), while literally being a correct way of reading 250 in informal speaking, is usually used to insult someone the speaker considers extremely foolish. Alternative ways such as 兩百五 (lǐang bǎi wǔ) and 二百五十 (èr bǎi wǔ shí) do not have this meaning. There are several different versions of the origin of the use of 250 as an insult, and it is unclear which one is correct.  

This makes me want to hold 250k Aeon in savings.    Roll Eyes  

Of course, had I seen these numbers sooner, I might have stopped collecting at 28k or 38k.  

28, 38: As eight means prosperity, twenty eight equates to 'double prosperity', though most Chinese people will typically just read this as "easy to have luck", 38 being one of the luckiest, often referred to as 'triple prosperity' though most Chinese people might just read this as "you will grow to success."  

cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 03:32:10 AM

Well, the topic is made already: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1239063.0 but I won't bump it so if it sinks naturally then it sinks.  

Also, I've read through your history recently and respect your opinions; you seem to have a good mind for a lot of the same things I'm interested in.  Do you think I'm correct in pushing for æ to be the symbol in light of the recent inflation rate changes?  

Yeah my choice would be the æ symbol, but I'm kinda flexible depending on strength of argument. I'd be interested in hearing smooth's opinions on the symbol issue.

At some point we're going to have to commit to a symbol in order to make a start on further branding, logo design etc. How best can we commit to this? Via democracy? Core vote? This raises interesting first challenges and sneak previews into the issue of governance. How do we square that?

It's an interesting subject, because as we have seen recently in Bitcoin, getting the socio-political element right in regard to governance is key to a strong foundation. As Aeon is kinda an experimental test-bed it might be a good idea to experiment also with the sociopolitical framework of it's management.

Direct democracy? Aeon Foundation? President? Supreme Council? Straw polls? How can we achieve an interesting, experimental, and inspirational political framework that truly makes Aeon stand out from anything that has occurred before, including Bitcoin. How can we design a system where the ideas of the layperson can receive serious consideration from the executive function of the overall hivemind?

Something to consider.

For now at least, the first task would be to get the symbol sorted so we can expand further.

As for the post you've just made in regards to changing the emission. To be honest, I'd simply just delete it. If you let it fade away it sends out the wrong message, if it attracts trolls it sends out the wrong message, and if doesn't do any of those things, then all it does do is say: "Hey I'm AmericanPegasus and I've just bought a ton of aeon and consequently we need to start pumping this shit together."

Play it down. Don't attract negative noise before we've built the foundations.

Those my thoughts.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 05:00:21 AM

Yeah my choice would be the æ symbol, but I'm kinda flexible depending on strength of argument. I'd be interested in hearing smooth's opinions on the symbol issue.
Those my thoughts.

Frustratingly enough, after I spent a lot of work typing out the topic I have to concede that you are right.  Someone already posted, so I could only lock the topic - not delete it outright.  

As far as a system of social management for the currency I will give it some thought, but it is likely a difficult problem.  My initial thoughts on the matter:  

It will either be decentralized, centralized, or a mixture of the two.  Direct democracy attempts to create a completely decentralized system, but like all systems has its weaknesses.  It relies on all nodes to be equally informed and have equally altruistic intentions.  This is never the case, and this problem manifests itself in situations where an entire population might vote for something clearly detrimental or ethically abhorrent because they have been persuaded to do so or simply out of tradition.  As well, total democracy lends all voices an equal weight - a problem that can be illustrated as easily as creating a poll topic here on the message board.  People who only have a passing interest in Aeon suddenly have the same weight as smooth or myself.  

The US System of government seems better than a pure democracy in that it is not the (possibly uninformed) individual nodes who vote, but politicians who are elected by the nodes.  This gives everyone a say because even if you are not informed enough to be a direct voter yourself (politician) you always have a say in who is having a say.  One of the problems with this system is that it leads to corruption of said politicians and manipulation of the individual nodes (voters) while also not guaranteeing those elected will be any better suited to making decisions than the voters themselves. (See the perpetual incompetence of some Senators and Congressmen for an example of this)  That also does not seem ideal, but it has parallels in the body.  The cells of the limb trust the brain to make decisions for it, even though sometimes that brain mistakenly puts the limbs in unnecessary danger for no tangible benefit.

I have considered the mechanics of a system that would use the currency itself as a mechanism of 'voting'.  I think burning is silly, as it takes perfectly good tokens out of circulation forever, but for the system to be decentralized this voting also cannot funnel into any 'trusted' account.  Perhaps participants could send voting money to be used as future transaction fees.  This system is decentralized and self-sustaining but possibly open to abuse on its own.    

Example: Aeon has a 1000 Aeon (an arbitrary number) fee to suggest new measures.  Participants can 'soft burn' Aeon by sending it as excess transaction fees in a controlled transaction between two addresses they control.  The Aeon gets distributed to miners and incentivizes the network while also serving as a measure of voting on a particular proposal.  Problems:  This creates an oligarcy - literal rule by the rich as those with lots of Aeon now have the power to propose and pass laws that benefit them.  The fact that the Aeon gets distributed among the miners isn't really relevant because if/as Aeon grows in value, it could theoretically also be used to purchase more mining power leading those who 'soft burn' their votes to have a way to attempt to recover them through increased mining.  It also doesn't provide much in the way of the 'little guy' having a voice.  

Changing tracks, if you are wondering about the possible issues with any sort of 'foundation' you only need look as far as the 'Bitcoin foundation' and the schism that still occurred in that community.  

This is obviously a very difficult problem, as it is one that humans have been attempting to solve for millennia (since at least the invention of writing).  It is not clear what the ideal solution is at the moment, but it is clear what doesn't work: direct democracy, oligarchy, and dictatorship all fall prey to various weaknesses.  

Meanwhile it is also clear what qualities an ideal system should/might have: those who are more involved and with more at stake should have a larger say, no one entity should ever make all the decisions in a vacuum, and the system needs to either completely resist the "power pyramid" that tends to form where a small group at the top control the masses at the bottom or it needs to embrace it fully.  Bear in mind the ideal solution may also be the complete opposite of what we expect.  

In trying to figure out how to make digital cash work, the early pioneers were going about it all wrong.  They knew that data was not inherently a precious object, and could be copied at will.  How then could they create a digital object that had scarcity?  If you are a student of cryptographic history, you will know that many of our brightest minds puzzled over this for a long time.  The marvelous solution, as embodied by bitcoin, was to stop resisting the problem altogether: like the flow of energy in a martial art - take your opponent's energy and make it your own.  

Hence, the solution was found in extrapolating all the way to the other end of the spectrum: if we can't make a digital object precious in our network, let's make it collective and ubiquitous.  There won't be individual and precious cryptographic objects - there will be one shared ledger and every member of the network will have a copy.  

Perhaps a new ideal of governance of any system, whether biological, governmental, or even financial will be embodied by a novel idea along the same lines: if there are certain challenges or forces hindering us from solving a problem, is there a way to instead reverse those difficulties and transform them into a solution?  I urge any bright mind reading these words to reflect on this and try to help me brainstorm.  I am constantly amazed at how bitcoin took pieces that already existed and combined them in a novel and unexpected way to generate a solution to an ancient problem.  The theme of that solution though, in many ways, was to stop resisting the inevitable and embrace it.  

I am convinced that there may be other significant problems that puzzle us today (including ideal social governance) that may fall to the same techniques of creative thought.

DrkLvr_

Activity: 724

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 05:34:38 AM

Yeah my choice would be the æ symbol, but I'm kinda flexible depending on strength of argument.

At first i was drawn to Æ, but the more i look at æ the more i like it. It flows naturally, and is matching with aeon's logo. At the same time, is there anything that says they can't both be used?
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:00:10 AM

As mentioned over on the [ANN] topic, I have an investor/entrepreneur friend who manages his own investment fund and has been doing serious business work over in China for a couple of years now.  He's the real deal.  He recently became interested in both Bitcoin and Monero, so I convinced him to take a look at Aeon as well. 

I'm offering him some of the Aeon I've acquired to assist us/(find us the right people to assist us) with translation and porting efforts to Chinese.  I also have people in mind who might be able to help with Russian and Romanian translations.  Hopefully I'll have more info soon.

ancientcoins
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1003

🚀🚀 ATHERO.IO 🚀🚀

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:19:01 AM

no sellers at these levels. once we get constant volume te higher the price the better before we get added to poloniex

A revolutionary decentralized digital economy 
`Join us:██`Twitter  ◽  Facebook  ◽  Telegram  ◽  Youtube  ◽  Github`
.ATHERO
.Internet 3.0 solution
trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:15:37 AM

are you all trying to pump this coin....

I'm waiting for AmericanPegasus to get drunk again so I can sell the other half of my bag  Tongue
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:22:02 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2015, 01:32:40 PM by americanpegasus

are you all trying to pump this coin....

I'm waiting for AmericanPegasus to get drunk again so I can sell the other half of my bag  Tongue

How much you got?  You do realize that Aeon, by virtue of being a valid Cryptonote, is on the short short list of valid future blockchains right?  I'm thinking about buying a few more 'bags', drunk or not.  

Also, you know what I think of when I hear and see "Aeon"?  I think of something high tech, ethereal, elite, and luxurious.  Thoughts of things like this come to mind:  

In fact, because Aeon feels so futuristic already, we should entertain the notion of calling one of the sub-units a "credit": this is the default atomic unit of cash in most 'future' scenarios and it really is a statement of strength about what we believe Aeon could become one day.  

edit, 5:30AM:  
Well, trollercoaster assuming you were priced competitively I just bought it.   Cheesy  
Picked up 40k more - sober this time.   Tongue  

ancientcoins
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1003

🚀🚀 ATHERO.IO 🚀🚀

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 03:51:48 PM

i bought the orders yesterday under 4000 sats. was ready to buy some more tonight. lets see how it goes. this time push past 10k towards. i feel that relisting on poloniex coming then monero investors will be taking a look at aeon seriously

A revolutionary decentralized digital economy 
`Join us:██`Twitter  ◽  Facebook  ◽  Telegram  ◽  Youtube  ◽  Github`
.ATHERO
.Internet 3.0 solution
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 04:12:28 PM

i bought the orders yesterday under 4000 sats. was ready to buy some more tonight. lets see how it goes. this time push past 10k towards. i feel that relisting on poloniex coming then monero investors will be taking a look at aeon seriously

Are there real plans to have it relisted on Poloniex?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 04:18:25 PM

Are there real plans to have it relisted on Poloniex?

Yes but right now it is too small of a market given the wallet resource requirements. When there is a wallet with lower resource requirements and/or a bigger market it will probably happen. The previous sentence is just my opinion though. I can't promise what Poloniex will decide to do or when.
Zohann

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 04:52:58 PM

If XMR continues to lose market share, this coin will never achieve any traction.  Investors will not buy it if XMR continues to languish.  
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 05:07:21 PM

If XMR continues to lose market share, this coin will never achieve any traction.  Investors will not buy it if XMR continues to languish.  

Curiously illogical and inaccurate.
bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:54:05 AM

I'm one of the biggest holders of aeon (bought, not mined) and I have never owned any XMR. So your theory is about as watertite as chicken wire.

btw, Im a longterm holder, so my coins wont be dumped on the market anytime soon.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: