Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 02:02:25 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [AEON] Aeon Speculation  (Read 190042 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:11:17 AM

Litecoin is such a POS (not Proof Of Stake) that it's just unbelievable. There is absolutely nothing going on with that coin apart from heavy Chinese buying. Even Charlie Lee said that Litecoin doesn't need development. Wait, what?

To top it off the Litecoin logo is the worst logo imaginable.

Everything about Litecoin just screams POM. Proof of Mistake.
Fontas.

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:22:45 PM

Litecoin is such a POS (not Proof Of Stake) that it's just unbelievable. There is absolutely nothing going on with that coin apart from heavy Chinese buying. Even Charlie Lee said that Litecoin doesn't need development. Wait, what?

Why does it need development? It is the 2nd best functioning cryptocurrency. All other cryptocurrencies face liquidity problems and are only speculative since next to no merchants accept it.

Do you think they need to change the faces on the dollar bill so it can pump?

bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 08:45:20 PM

Why does it need development? It is the 2nd best functioning cryptocurrency. All other cryptocurrencies face liquidity problems and are only speculative since next to no merchants accept it.

Do you think they need to change the faces on the dollar bill so it can pump?

no ltc does not need development and the logo is just fine. it exists much like dogecoin does because it attracted many investors early on. ltc will continue a slow  steady drop in value with the occasional pump and dump.
as investors realize that ltc cant provide financial privacy like AEON and others can.
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 08:48:55 PM

I think not changing the AEON logo/branding is a mistake and a waste of an opportunity, but it looks like I'm outvoted, so ce la vie.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
bangomatic
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 08:52:20 PM

I think not changing the AEON logo/branding is a mistake and a waste of an opportunity, but it looks like I'm outvoted, so ce la vie.

+1

im not crazy about the blue square because at smaller sizes, im sorry, but its just unreadable.

i do like critical60's yin and yang logo.
critical60

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:05:08 PM

+1

im not crazy about the blue square because at smaller sizes, im sorry, but its just unreadable.

i do like critical60's yin and yang logo.

Thanks! I don't want to hijack the thread so I posted them on our subreddit. I've tweaked a few and will be adding more. https://www.reddit.com/r/aeoncoin/comments/3sflmv/aeon_logo_concepts/
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:08:24 PM

+1

No one has explained to me why smaller sizes like 16x16 are even needed at all. I'm not sure any of the proposed replacements would be legible at those tiny sizes either.

bangomatic
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 09:15:10 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2015, 09:29:52 PM by bangomatic

+1

No one has explained to me why smaller sizes like 16x16 are even needed at all. I'm not sure any of the proposed replacements would be legible at those tiny sizes either.

favicon comes to mind.

edit:
I changed the color to the bright blue which will help with recognition at small sizes and because we love the bright aeon blue.  

https://i.imgur.com/Es8XyqN.jpg

edit again: critical60 i just checked the subreddit and see that you had already changed to blue. nice work man!
cryptodromeda

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:04:36 PM

+1

Surely it's just common sense?

cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:11:05 PM

i got pretty big wallet with aeon.
then it seemed to stay dead.
so i just moved the shit to trash can..
stupid move.
seeking the backup copy..

cryptodromeda

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:42:53 PM

+1

The greater the scalability, the more universal the logo. The easier it is to perceive at a distance, the greater the functionality of its objective. It needs to be visually identifiable and easy on the eye whether big or small. This includes favicons for minimised software, as well as online environments which can function as defacto advertisements; environments such as coinmarketcap. What's the point in celebrating Aeon's inclusion in the Top 100 if you can't see what the damn coin is? I swear, nearly every single coin in that list has a catastrophically crap logo, so it's not like the competition is all that hard. A little bit of applied intelligence into the proceedings will go a long way.

But it's not just a case of scalability. Right now, AEON doesn't even have a logo. There's no shape at all.  It's just a word on a blue background. That's not acceptable for a currency. It might be acceptable for a payment system or a piece of software, but a currency is an intellectual concept in its own right. If it's going to succeed it's going to need some proper memetic firepower, not just a word on a blue background. I mean, you could have a separate logo for the AEON core software as a word on a blue background, but for the actual currency you're going to need a shape... or at least something practically functional and scalable.

Plus, I don't get the preoccupation with this company logo color psychology chart. If I had a BTC for everytime someone had shown me that chart in the past 24 months pertaining to altcoin development, then I surely would be richer than Satoshi himself.  It's largely a junk science. Besides, AEON is not a company, nor a product, nor a money making exercise, and none of us are being employed.... so why the hell would it be seeking to follow in the footsteps of a multinational corporation? We're a currency. It's a completely different science! AEON is a private decentralised currency with a specific userbase and target demographic, so what point is there in referring to the Facebook logo? I don't get it. Apples and oranges.

AEON is supposed to be experimental and radical. Where's the experimentation and radicalism?

Or at least a little common sense, re: scalability and shape.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 10:45:16 PM

The greater the scalability, the more universal the logo. The easier it is to perceive at a distance, the greater the functionality of its objective.

Okay that means mostly shape and color though, and especially shape (since good logos seem to cluster around a limited range of near-blue or near-red colors, or, less frequently, some sort of multicolor/rainbow theme).

So I'd argue that round is very generic since a hundreds of coins have done that. Something based on the square logo, or a variation of it, is more distinctive.

That last one from bangomatic is the best of the new crop by that reasoning, I think. The rest are pretty bad -- generic shapes and weak use of color.
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:09:43 PM

Ok, weighing back in .  

tl;dr - Can we please see this in a square-er format?  I can't decide between the two blues:  

Perhaps the lettered part could even be moved from the center of the square to be offset on the lower right like we have now?  

Taking a look at the top cryptocurrencies, smooth is right - no one is going with a distinctive square shape: http://coinmarketcap.com/1  
There's a lot of circles, and I have to commend MaidSafe for a great and unique shape.  The deeper you go into the coinstack though, the more prevalent the "circle" becomes.  So I do like the idea of the square based shape.  

I also can see both sides of the debate about why 16x16 is important and why it's not.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I posted them on our subreddit. I've tweaked a few and will be adding more.

It's fine - speculation topics have long served more purpose than just price discussion; social and community issues can be discussed here as well.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:25:59 PM

Also, as far as the curved version I was suggesting, here is an MS-painted modification of it:  

I think this should also be considered (properly drawn, of course) because it not only incorporates "ae" plus the number 8, and the idea of a smoothly curved emission, but it also includes a nod to notion of the yin-yang of public and private ledgers (as shown in this bitcoin/monero mashup):  

After taking a look at all the options, I could get on board with a circular design as long as it hid the yin/yang design in it - at least then we have a reason for it.  The horizontal lines of critcal's concepts look a little strange to me, but perhaps this just means they are eye catching.    I can't decide.

cryptodromeda

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:38:21 PM

Here you go:-

Something like that is all you need.

cryptodromeda

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 11:40:54 PM

Scalable. Shaped. Visible. Simple.

cryptodromeda

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 12:26:51 AM

Some tweaks, but the idea is there.

cryptodromeda

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 01:32:08 AM

Variation and expansion:-

critical60

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 02:57:57 AM

Updated concept for AmericanPegasus. Will update more tomorrow.

http://imgur.com/a/b8o4G

americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 03:30:01 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2015, 03:40:16 AM by americanpegasus

I appreciate the sentiment, but I have to protest.  Don't take this personally; we are being honest and objective here.  This looks like a few extra lines slapped onto the Internet Explorer "e", and the blue makes my eyes bleed against that white.  It looks like a mid-1990's startup that's not to be taken seriously at all - certainly not a currency that may be worth billions one day.  Is it readable at 16x16?  Sure, but it's also not attractive and desirable.  It also is barely distinguishable as an "ae" when it is shrunk - it looks like a bunch of squiggly lines (even to me and I'm looking for the "ae").  

You say that what we are doing has nothing to do with corporate branding, but I respectfully disagree.  The human brain is an association engine; this is the only reason we are still better than computers - massive, massive parallel processing.  When a human sees *anything* they aren't just seeing a thing objectively; they are seeing every experience they ever had with that thing and anything like it.  

When we see this:  

there absolutely is branding at play.  I have never been to China so I feel nothing when I look at the Yuan.  It is a piece of paper to me, even though it has massive value.  I don't feel like it's valuable because my brain isn't drawing any associations to any time when I found anything like it to be valuable.  Now when I look at the dollar, I am immediately flooded with a lifetime of events all surrounding how good it felt to have a 20 dollar bill, find one on the ground, get them from the ATM.... there is huge "branding" at play.  It's likely even something in that color scheme would activate those same pathways.  The Euro?  The colors not so much there, but I have taken many trips to Europe and I remember all the times those pieces of paper felt 'valuable'.  These processes are very similar to the ones that activate when I repeatedly see an attractive person I like or a luxury brand that I can't afford.  

Let's look at some logos of these "luxury brands" that don't scale very well to 16x16 either:  

When I see these I immediately think of all the times I saw them featured in a very expensive mall, or lauded in a magazine.  I think of every beautiful person I have ever seen wearing or being associated with these brands.  I wouldn't know how to exchange them as actual currency but there is no doubt in my mind that these brands have value and there is value in them.  They aren't pandering to me - they exist, and if I'm good enough I will attain ownership of these brands.  

When I said to experiement with Aeon, this is what I meant.  Let's create a brand of cryptocurrency that actually feels desirable and carries status to own.  Aeon isn't just a currency - merely the act of owning Aeon should be a status symbol that is *more* than the sum of the parts (which are already significant due to this being a Cryptonote).  You own a slice of bleeding future, out of the reach of most people.  Let them transact in Monero, the more "reliable" blockchain.  Aeon?  That's for the innovators, the rule-breakers, and those who dare to do more.  And even if a blockchain experiement went awry, those who hold Aeon aren't worried - no one is trying to cash out and in fact there is a certain social trust in the others who hold Aeon.  We aren't here to ride some pump and dump wave; we're here to own a slice of the future.  

That brings me to this son of a bitch here:  

My god.  It's full of stars.  I think we're dangerous close.  We're definitely in a zone of danger.  

This is amazing.  I am literally hard at work right now thinking of all the possibilities for this logo.  I do think we need to try another version of this in that sexy and luxury blue we were looking at earlier.  I feel like that might make it perfect.  And who knows, perhaps those curves on the letters need slight tweaking.  

But this is really something special.  

This looks like the money of the new "1%".  And what do those 1% get?  The best Cryptonote innovations first, lead by the top programmers, most elite community, and most astute economists and mathematicians in the world.  This isn't an altcoin.  

This is Aeon.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: