Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:57:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [EDU] How to spot a scammer (Read this before lending your coins!)  (Read 211132 times)
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:24:53 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=136346.0

Looks like furrycoat could be fully identified as a scammer. He gave himself a loan, apparently.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:53:54 PM

Looks like furrycoat could be fully identified as a scammer. He gave himself a loan, apparently.

I did list that thread in the OP since his request fit the typical scammer template.  However it's going to be a stretch to label him a scammer since nothing was lost, and I really wasn't expecting anything to be in the first place (see post #11 in that thread).  New accounts lending to new accounts often have an unusually high rate of success.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Jakers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 11:38:29 PM

How many time do I have to tell you tomatocage? Take my name off this list. I've already completed 5+ trades if you're going to put people's names up there be prepared to be wrong and take them down. I already have 3.59 BTC from the The Trust Circle waiting to send it to someone else. I don't appreciate you not taking me off the list when I've asked 5 or 6 times.

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 07:37:08 AM

This thread is to identify people who post like a SCAMMER, and unfortunately you fit the template to a tee.

GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
21after2

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 12:23:31 AM

This thread is to identify people who post like a SCAMMER, and unfortunately you fit the template to a tee.

The pattern looked to me like a snapshot of the confidence loan topic.
furrycoat

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 03:58:19 AM

I did list that thread in the OP since his request fit the typical scammer template.  However it's going to be a stretch to label him a scammer since nothing was lost, and I really wasn't expecting anything to be in the first place (see post #11 in that thread).  New accounts lending to new accounts often have an unusually high rate of success.

OP fits the description of a idiot. Posting my legit BTC loan on your scammer thread? Something you and some other retards of this forum need to understand SouthernComfort IS NOT ME.
This accusation was put against me because we did not use the address in my signature. I HAVE MULTIPLE ADDRESSES.
Understand now?
21after2

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 04:01:45 AM

OP fits the description of a idiot. Posting my legit BTC loan on your scammer thread? Something you and some other retards of this forum need to understand SouthernComfort IS NOT ME.
This accusation was put against me because we did not use the address in my signature. I HAVE MULTIPLE ADDRESSES.
Understand now?

Well, I wasn't sure before, but now that you've called us all retards? Now I believe you! Wink
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 04:38:10 PM

Understand now?

After further review of your forum history, I've removed you from the list.  While you do exhibit a few key attributes of a scammer, these are negated by, IMHO anyway, by post content. Especially this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131107.60

Jakers

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:18:37 AM

Dude, how thick is your skull? Don't put people up here and not take them off you ignorant prick. How about I make a stickied list and put your name at the top and label you a scammer? I've already been trusted with $100 dickhead so get over yourself. Either remove my name or I'll request a mod to remove it for you. Sound good?

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 03:32:49 PM

Dude, how thick is your skull? Don't put people up here and not take them off you ignorant prick. How about I make a stickied list and put your name at the top and label you a scammer? I've already been trusted with $100 dickhead so get over yourself. Either remove my name or I'll request a mod to remove it for you. Sound good?

Error 404, care not found.

21after2

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:00:22 PM

This isn't a stickied list. And I doubt a mod will remove your name from a list of speculative names. Worth a shot if it really bugs you though.

To Tomatocage: both of the threads with Jakers on your list are now closed, so you can probably take them off the list since there's nothing "pending" anymore.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 06:37:14 AM

Tomatocage is correct again.

SouthernComfort, siesatsu (that PR guy for the scamming site) and furrycoat are the same person.
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 06:44:09 AM

Tomatocage is correct again.

SouthernComfort, siesatsu (that PR guy for the scamming site) and furrycoat are the same person.

Thanks, I'll update the OP!

Jakers

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 09:02:11 AM

It doesn't bother me it's just that he has had my name up there ever since I joined. It's like he just puts every newcomer up there that posts around a lot in the market and maybe he gets lucky once or twice. I'm pretty sure I've seen loads of names taken off there that weren't scammers, so you're percentage is pretty much null.

Anyone can make a thread and post peoples names up who post in the market section when they first join or are looking for high loans, do you think you're like some kind of special analyst that can detect when somebody is going to scam? I guarantee you if I had the time I would make a list and be 90% right, but I don't know enough about BTC or this forum to do it. The other forums I've been on for a few years I can tell when somebody is ban evading, let alone going to scam. Pretty easy to be honest, so making this list is just bringing out statistics, I wish I could challenge you to see how many scammers I could catch, but I don't know the forum or this market well enough to do so.

dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:54:21 PM

Jakers, just ignore Tomatocage for now.

You try do trade & if some one asks about, why Tomatocage put your name in list, redirect them to this thread.

If you start doing some trades then your name will be removed.
Their is no use of keep on telling Tomatocage to remove your name.

Due to a lot of friends, trustees showed their real face, which was ugly, made this forum to act with iron hands without mercy.
In all other forums you talk about money. Here you CREATING money.

Just do trade & your name will be removed from list.
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:52:25 PM

It doesn't bother me it's just that he has had my name up there ever since I joined. It's like he just puts every newcomer up there that posts around a lot in the market and maybe he gets lucky once or twice. I'm pretty sure I've seen loads of names taken off there that weren't scammers, so you're percentage is pretty much null.

Anyone can make a thread and post peoples names up who post in the market section when they first join or are looking for high loans, do you think you're like some kind of special analyst that can detect when somebody is going to scam? I guarantee you if I had the time I would make a list and be 90% right, but I don't know enough about BTC or this forum to do it. The other forums I've been on for a few years I can tell when somebody is ban evading, let alone going to scam. Pretty easy to be honest, so making this list is just bringing out statistics, I wish I could challenge you to see how many scammers I could catch, but I don't know the forum or this market well enough to do so.

This is complete bullshit. I only put an extremely small fraction of a % of newbies up on the list, and ONLY those that fit a very specific profile. There are far more new members who are not on the list who go on to become regular contributing members. Additionally, this list isn't supposed to be used as a predictor of who will scam or not; it merely reflects members who exhibit telltale signs that scammers often exhibit. In fact many of the users on the list are added retro-actively after a scam has already been committed. In such cases I'll go back and review the scammers history and determine if he fits the typical scammer template. If he does, he gets added to the list. If not (as is the case with some of the more elaborate scammers such as Pirateat40 or Zouhtong), they don't get added to the list. This list is specifically for the low-brow smash & grab scammers, not the DB Coopers of the Bitcoin world.

So if you want me to remove you from the list, either step up your scamming game, or stop posting like a cookie-cutter scammer.

Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:56:35 PM

Jakers, just ignore Tomatocage for now.

You try do trade & if some one asks about, why Tomatocage put your name in list, redirect them to this thread.

If you start doing some trades then your name will be removed.
Their is no use of keep on telling Tomatocage to remove your name.

Due to a lot of friends, trustees showed their real face, which was ugly, made this forum to act with iron hands without mercy.
In all other forums you talk about money. Here you CREATING money.

Just do trade & your name will be removed from list.

Absolutely. @Jakers Get a few trades under your belt and/or post some worthwhile contributions (ie. posts with real content, not just "lol" fluff), and otherwise show that you're here to stay, and I'll gladly remove your name.  

BTW, this isn't even an official list.  In fact, nobody seems to even pay attention to it given the amount of scams that still happen.

Off Topic: There's a reason why DPony13 hasn't been added to the list. Try to pay attention and figure out what he's doing.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 03:22:04 PM

FYI

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=138007.new#new
wallet.dat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:51:54 PM

I'm not defending Jakers, but he's being accused by brand new accounts that were just created a few hours ago.

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 05:03:58 PM

I am thinking about making my own thread entitled "These people are just wasting other user's time" so I can put people like Dank Phinneas Gage and Tomatocage along with MPO-PR etc.  Since this abortion of a thread has been allowed to continue why would mine not be?

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: