Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:13:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [To Theymos] Why was Goat banned?  (Read 11760 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:10:49 PM

I noticed Goat claims he is banned and he put on his profile that you "censored" him.

I just wanted to know why.

Thanks

Grin Grin Grin

Smoothie

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MiloSmith

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:16:56 PM

The censorship is getting absolutely out of control, you need to be aware that by posting this question you are at risk of being banned.

Check out here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118154.0

User Rarity was banned for criticizing Theymos.  Dancing Dan posted a thread asking for discussion about this and was banned for it as well.  The Iron Curtain is falling on Bitcointalk, we must all watch what we say around Dear Leader Theymos and his Central Committee of yes-men.  If I stop posting on these forums soon, it means I was banned for pointing this out too.
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:19:40 PM

The censorship is getting absolutely out of control, you need to be aware that by posting this question you are at risk of being banned.

Check out here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118154.0

User Rarity was banned for criticizing Theymos.  Dancing Dan posted a thread asking for discussion about this and was banned for it as well.  The Iron Curtain is falling on Bitcointalk, we must all watch what we say.  If I stop posting on these forums soon, it means I was banned for pointing this out too.

It's just a question. He doesn't have to answer. Just figured to ask before assuming.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:35:39 PM

apparently he couldn't behave himself

smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:41:10 PM

apparently he couldn't behave himself

ROFL!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:43:22 PM

God knows Goat isn't one of my favourite posters, but I'd also like an answer as to why he was banned and whether that ban is permanent (can we please start referring to 7 day time-outs as suspensions).

I don't think that people should be able to "clean up" their threads and remove evidence of what they've previously posted in the way that usagi did, so if this has something to do with Goat removing content from the OP in his Securities thread then I'm OK with that.  But if that's the case then can we please have a public statement saying that people will no longer be allowed to do that (a policy which I believe is much needed) and will be banned if they edit their threads in a manner which either deletes their posts or which revises their posts in a manner which obscures what they originally posted?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:10:03 AM

I decided that he harms discussions too much to be allowed to continue. He posts more than Atlas and his posts are of lower quality. When he argues about something, he ignores all of the arguments of his opponents and just repeats the same nonsense over and over. I suspect that he may be intentionally trying to stir up drama in order to hurt the forum and the community.

The ban will not expire automatically. I may review it later.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:14:35 AM

theymos if that's the criteria could I give you a list of about a dozen other users who should also be banned for the same reason.

And what value is Atlas adding to the conversation??
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:24:35 AM

I decided that he harms discussions too much to be allowed to continue. He posts more than Atlas and his posts are of lower quality. When he argues about something, he ignores all of the arguments of his opponents and just repeats the same nonsense over and over. I suspect that he may be intentionally trying to stir up drama in order to hurt the forum and the community.

Thanks for answering Theymos. Appreciated!  Grin Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:26:31 AM

theymos if that's the criteria could I give you a list of about a dozen other users who should also be banned for the same reason.

And what value is Atlas adding to the conversation??

If you sit back and read over his posts, they are comedy gold. Good stress relief.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:30:28 AM

Send me specific examples.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:40:00 AM

TLDR: Nobody should be dependent on the work of anybody in the Bitcoin community.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119525.msg1288788#msg1288788

That is patiently not true. I know no one on the dev team but with out their work and their continued efforts to refine the core client this project would be dead.

If just just for his incessant, relentless and baseless attacks of the dev team and the sensational thread titles he should be banned.  His conversations add no value and if he id  making valid points know one would know because no one reads his posts.

Atlas is in no adding in any valuable way to the conversations taking place on bitcointalk.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:57:41 AM

NYPD: I'll break your fucking arm then punch you in the face before I arrest...

He could write headlines for the NY POST or Huffington Post but what value do these posts ad to bitcoin talk.

Please anyone (except ATLAS or any of his sockpuppets) please disagree with me.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:58:43 AM

TLDR: Nobody should be dependent on the work of anybody in the Bitcoin community.

That is patiently not true. I know no one on the dev team but with out their work and their continued efforts to refine the core client this project would be dead.

If just just for his incessant, relentless and baseless attacks of the dev team and the sensational thread titles he should be banned.  His conversations add no value and if he id  making valid points know one would know because no one reads his posts.

Atlas is in no adding in any valuable way to the conversations taking place on bitcointalk.

Atlas says a lot of stupid things, but I think that he tries to argue reasonably. He's not trying to be disruptive, and I think that he's recently not been too disruptive. His posts are often annoying, but they sometimes have decent points that are fun to talk about; in fact, several of my recent posts are responses to Atlas.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:01:21 AM

Atlas says a lot of stupid things, but I think that he tries to argue reasonably. He's not trying to be disruptive, and I think that he's recently not been too disruptive. His posts are often annoying, but they sometimes have decent points that are fun to talk about; in fact, several of my recent posts are responses to Atlas.

Your kidding right??

Maybe the two of you could take over to AIM if you are so simpatico.

Does anyone else really think Atlas adds to the conversation?
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 01:09:02 AM

I support this decision and hope to see more like it.  

Goat was becoming increasingly belligerent after being delisted from GLBSE.  He wasn't discussing anything anymore, just restating the same points over and over.  When he was criticized, he would resort to legal threats (not based on a strong grasp of the law, mind you). Plus, he's run several failed investment products, costing the readers of this forum tens of thousands of Bitcoins, if not more.  For me, he symbolizes Bitcoin last year.  

It's time for us to move on to the new Bitcoin: respectful, legitimate, honest, productive.

From the Bitcoin "financial collapse", with so many people losing money to Pirate, funds frozen in GLBSE, etc., Bitcoiners are becoming more discerning about where they put their coin.  Caution and prudence with investment is good: I think this is a positive change. I would welcome a similar elevation of the level of discourse on this forum.  

People who lead a thread off topic should be warned.  If they do it repeatedly, they should be banned.  There is too much clutter here, and the ones who are cluttering rarely add anything of value to the conversation.  

Atlas is a major thread-derailer.  I was thinking of this example before I saw that you posted it.  

I wouldn't mind if he created a new topic, linked to it in the original thread with a short summary, and continued discussion in the new thread, but I've never seen him do that.  I think he's a net detractor for the forums, and think a ban would be a step in the right direction.  (Happy to see change too, but I think history indicates this is unlikely).  

If he could keep his Randian FUDmongering to "Off-topic" and "Politics and Society", I wouldn't mind him staying.  It's just frustrating to see a page full of core-devs and other great Bitcoiners like Casascius discussing something interesting and then getting distracted by his pointless, stubborn, unsubstantiated complaints.

EDIT: Atlas actually just made a pretty good thread.  I optimistically retract my ban suggestion. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119885.msg1291504#msg1291504

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:17:13 AM

ChrisKoss

That is my point exactly.  Thread derailing.  I have been part of a number of threads as a participant and a reader where information is being conveyed, questions are being asked and answered and a genuine dialogue amongst and between the user is occurring.  Then depending on the time of day and/or how long the thread has been active their are about 6 -12 users (all with orange ignore buttons by the way - you all know who they are) who have absolutely nothing to add to dialogue, picking fights, insulting and generally just taking a dump in the middle of the party and it pretty much down hill from there.

It is really unfortunate.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:33:37 AM

Glad to read this.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 01:48:47 AM

Goat's gone off the deep end lately, you can't reason with him at all. Warnings won't work he'll just troll about that too.

He needed a break from the forums.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:57:21 AM

BadBear

I don't follow goats posts but I hear and BELIEVE what you are saying.  I think Phinn when through a phase like that too a while back during the initial pirate witch hunt.   I think some of my eventually need  a 12-step program to be able to step away from bitcoin (I'm not kidding).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: