Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:28:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [To Theymos] Why was Goat banned?  (Read 11762 times)
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:45:24 AM

I just found it funny.  Why does everybody care about goat so much?

It's not about goat, I guess it is disappointment in/realization of the fact that this board is rapidly becoming just as phony as the real world.

Politics, regulation and other BS are taking over and if that wasn't bad enough, people who aren't passive or ignorant about it are being expelled or leaving the scene silently.

Look at the number of "we're going to court" and "xxx should be banned" threads and you see what I mean.

After 3 years into Bitcoin people have already forgotten what made it great. In real life at least it took us a couple of decades to forget.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 11:38:30 AM

Why does everybody care about goat so much?

I don't think most people care about Goat.  What they want to know is whether there's some new, unwritten rule we all need to avoid breaking.

That's the point.

Ente

No, just don't troll, it's the great unwritten rule of any forum. Trolling is pretty subjective and opinion based so making a rule on that would be pretty pointless. That's why trying to prove someone is a troll is just as pointless as trying to prove someone isn't. You can't.

B) My alt is "theymos".

All I can say is, if the above quote is true...then I am outta here as well.

lol

And for the people talking about the Pirate fiasco and his involvement, there's a whole website dedicated to that. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 06:47:02 PM

Badbear...just dropped in to say you are one of the reasons I'm leaving this forum.

Your idea of "trolling" is saying things you personally don't like. That's a weak way to moderate a forum. You have the maturity of a little kid - "I'm taking my ball and going home! You're not my friend anymore!"

I'm grumpy!!
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:19:30 PM

It is the worst sort of undermining irony to state that you are leaving for good strong moral grounds, and then commence to hang around to state your opinions about things.

Either stand up for your belief, and leave because of the outrage, or quit belly aching and post to your heart's content. This "I'm leaving because I'm outraged, but I'm going to hang around and keep trying to make you all feel guilty and point out all the stuff that is making me leave endlessly" nonsense just demeans the whole argument.

Go or stay, but try to be consistent.
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 08:24:12 PM

underming?!?!

Who said my name?  Lol truly though, cry us all a river, build a boat and float away.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:47:44 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2012, 12:02:39 AM by Raize

I do think it is a mistake to think that Bitcoin can grow enough that the community would all reside on one forum. You're inevitably going to get a signal to noise ratio that is so high that regulars want something done about it. It become even easier to troll among newbies as a site grows. Now, SA is doing targeted trolling in packs via PMs right now. I posted evidence of this here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118154.msg1290529#msg1290529

There's a couple good and bad goons on this forum, obviously. I'm not recommending that any association with SA should qualify as a ban (I've been a member for over a decade, for example), but it does seem like some of the younger goons think it's not just enough to laugh at the silly and stupid things going on here, they also have to participate in it. I respect a good deal of SA users, especially the ones that ran Buttcoin and exposed Bruce Wagner for what he is. Additionally, anyone that finds good and useful information about scammers deserves to be commended, but the latest crop seem to just want to spew accusations and lack technical skills to actually do their due diligence on scams and scammers. Some of us found Bitcoin long long long before SA even started "invading".

A few of the latest are, notably:
MiloSmith - He or another goon posted pretending to be Dank on the SA forums so that he can use that as justification for banning Dank here.

Post where he screencaps it:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117590.msg1293203#msg1293203

Then later:
https://i.imgur.com/OVmkF.png

Dancing Dan - Goes from newbie to "Why was Rarity banned" in less than a day, purposely misstates what other users say when they explain SA is trolling (a rather common SA trolling tactic).

There's probably others, but the easiest way to catch who is actually here just for trolling and who is here to watch the trolls is to do a grep in the logs for IPs being redirected from:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486823

Then monitor users registering new accounts from those IPs *really* closely and hold them to a different standard. At least till the unemployed and teenagers trolling from there get tired.

Course it sounds like they are going to slow down now:
https://i.imgur.com/Pt7S4.png

But they are linking directly to this thread now:
https://i.imgur.com/N7zPK.png

And then there is the link to another "Pony Scheme":
https://i.imgur.com/16JK7.png
Actual thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119703.40

I'm with Maged on Goat's ban, there used to be a standard for bans, if Goat was being disruptive it should be a temp ban, probably. He just needs to clear his head and not troll. These other guys are trolling from the git-go.

As far as cryptoanarchist leaving... Goodbye Jeremy!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 01:51:56 AM

I'm with Maged on Goat's ban, there used to be a standard for bans, if Goat was being disruptive it should be a temp ban, probably. He just needs to clear his head and not troll. These other guys are trolling from the git-go.

Those other guys are banned as well. Just because the ban won't automatically lift at a predetermined point doesn't mean it's permanent. Theymos rarely permabans anyone, he even unbanned bulanula at one point. Goat will chill out eventually, he just needs some time. 

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 11:50:24 AM

Those other guys are banned as well. Just because the ban won't automatically lift at a predetermined point doesn't mean it's permanent. Theymos rarely permabans anyone, he even unbanned bulanula at one point. Goat will chill out eventually, he just needs some time. 

You’ve always been funny BadBear. I remember when you were just a wee newbie all upset because there are so many libertarians here. ROTFL
LOL, funny how things work out aint it?

Goat will never chill out. You know why? Because he’s crazy as a shithouse rat, that’s why. For a long time I thought it was just a language barrier. Then I went to believing he was a drug dealer getting high on his own supply but I eventually realized that druggies are usually more sentient than that. My mind changed when he had that big public argument with MNW about payment for the website work. Remember that. Even if he was in the right his arguments would flail around like the ramblings of a lunatic. If he is reinstated someone should check his meds first or maybe get a doctor’s note proving his fitness to “work and play well with others.”

Can't say I disagree. Maybe he'll chill out a bit once the Pirate and GLBSE drama pass, we'll have to see.

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:49:10 PM

If (first page) is the banning criteria; I may have been banned if noticed months ago in my past behaviors.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:18:42 PM

If (first page) is the banning criteria; I may have been banned if noticed months ago in my past behaviors.

Never too late for good deeds  Grin

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:33:09 PM

Never too late for good deeds  Grin

harty har.

I'm post crazy it appears.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Jimmy Diamond

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 07:42:47 PM

Banning Goat was clearly the act of an administrator abusing his power to shut down someone who disagreed with him about GLBSE.  If Theymos is going to be unable to moderate around his biases, he should not moderate discussions about himself.

If I stop posting on these forums soon, it means I was banned for pointing this out too.

And he has not posted since.
LoupGaroux

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 08:43:07 PM

Jimmy- I'm sure your impassioned arguments viz Theymos and the reasons behind his banning of Goat seem really valid to you as part of your whole ten minutes of experience in this community, but as has been explained ad nauseum, Goat was banned for reasons going way beyond a disagreement. Theymos has not banned for that reason alone, and I am living proof of it. Goat was banned for being an unrepentant jackass who never had a conversation, but cluttered up everyone's bandwidth with poorly conceived diatribes and refusing to discuss, preferring to preach his own warped view.

Of course, given a few minutes of lurking you might have known that before making your grand pronouncement. Welcome to the pool, watch out for the deep end.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 10:19:56 PM

Banning Goat was clearly the act of an administrator abusing his power to shut down someone who disagreed with him about GLBSE.  If Theymos is going to be unable to moderate around his biases, he should not moderate discussions about himself.

If I stop posting on these forums soon, it means I was banned for pointing this out too.

And he has not posted since.

If that was the case he would need to ban the entire forum plus a few moderators for good measure. Including GLBSE shareholders who disagree with him.

likuidxd

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 11:05:39 PM

It was Goats own self righteousness that produced this ban. He could do no wrong, but if you did wrong he would tell you twenty times in your thread then make a new one when yours became to cluttered.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:15:56 AM

It is the worst sort of undermining irony to state that you are leaving for good strong moral grounds, and then commence to hang around to state your opinions about things.

Either stand up for your belief, and leave because of the outrage, or quit belly aching and post to your heart's content. This "I'm leaving because I'm outraged, but I'm going to hang around and keep trying to make you all feel guilty and point out all the stuff that is making me leave endlessly" nonsense just demeans the whole argument.

I, for one, appreciate people who say that they are leaving, because it means that they're really just giving us a chance to change. You should listen to these people, especially when they have constructive criticism. You don't have to agree with them, even. Just listen.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 03:39:40 AM

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about Goatse being banned. I thought the point of the ignore button was so if someone was bat shit insane, you didn't have to listen to them?

He may have been crazy, but he was a rather important BTC Business owner/investor/figure.

Then again, the crazies are the ones who amuse me the most, so maybe I'm wrong in saying it just doesn't feel right.
LoupGaroux

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 02:46:08 PM

I, for one, appreciate people who say that they are leaving, because it means that they're really just giving us a chance to change. You should listen to these people, especially when they have constructive criticism. You don't have to agree with them, even. Just listen.

It's not the swan song explaining their decision to leave... that much is valuable and speaks to issues that the community as a whole should consider. It's when they swan song and then keep hanging around and trying to find great examples to justify their position and throw taunts out about why they left. That's just wasted effort. They haven't left and have done nothing to advance the agenda they were trying to advance by leaving.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 08:52:11 PM

Saying in a serious way that you are leaving should be autoban because either 1. You were leaving anyway 2. You are trolling.

No downside to anyone and might eliminate troll.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 08:56:04 PM

Genius.  I'm 100% for the above remark.  Then if you want to beg to come back you need a "whiner" tag for a little while you have to work off! 

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: