Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:37:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: End the negative appearance of Bitcoin and BitcoinTalk.  (Read 4858 times)
codishmumu (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 11:34:22 PM

TL;DRTo people that like long posts read to them, click this link As for people that like cutting to the chase: "BitcoinTalk is starting to have a negative image. My proposal is that we all stop the negativity on the site at least, and so on".

So, I've made this post today to talk about an issue on this site that I feel needs to be handled immediately, which is the frequent posts made to discuss other users on the site. There's an entire forum on this website dedicated to talking about other users to bring attention to possible scamming a user might be involved with. For me personally, I don't feel that forum or making posts on other users gives any kind of necessity, because we already have the option of making commentary on a user on their trust rank page, so it doesn't make sense to me. It really just seems like an outlet for people to get harassed. I feel as though the site would look more professional if we just canceled that entire forum. That leads me to my next point on people abusing the trust ranking system. You cannot downvote somebody, just because you have a personal dislike for them. For example, there was a person that posted on my trust rank page saying that I was a whore, and it really didn't serve any type of useful commentary on whether or not I'm a scam artist, which I am not. Again, if you go to my trust rank page, you'll see a man that was able to see through the negativity and still give me work. He would tell you I'm definitely not a scam artist because his comment on my page is the only one with a risked BTC amount. With that being said, I think it's best to make commentary on people's trust rank pages only if there's a risked BTC amount involved. As for ways to prove on whether or not you're a scam artist, I think users should post videos or pictures of their merchandise with some kind of distinct indication that the items are there's and that they didn't copy them or steal them, or anything of that nature. I do that, and that's how I was able to make my first sale. You can click this link for an example of that. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1197410.0 As for people offering services, I advise them to give references or documentation to prove whether or not they are eligible to provide said services. I did that with my psychology work on Skype, and that's how a small group of users were able to trust me on that, and come to me whenever they needed support from me. I have stopped all other services temporarily in order to focus on my merchandise.

This site is dedicated to supporting the efforts of Bitcoin activists, and we're trying to have a positive image. This site was made for Satoshi himself. Right now, Bitcoin is already dealing with a negative image from Bitcoin users like Charlie Shrem, and so many others. We don't need this website looking unprofessional. If we want this currency to grow, we need to reevaluate ourselves and do what we can to have a positive image at this point. Any little improvement in ourselves as bitcoin users counts. I always see comments on people's trust rank pages saying how some people sell stolen property, or have hacked people's accounts, or cyberbully other users. It is so frightening to me. I have so much hope for Bitcoin, and it upsets me that my hope is being threatened by bitcoin users like this. Sometimes, even the moderators are no better.

I really do have faith in this currency. I just wanna do my part to help propell Bitcoin into becoming well known so we can all have the price go up. I have alerts for BitcoinTalk straight to my phone, so I'm available consistently. Sometimes my phone will be charging, and I'll be in my pajamas sleeping, and I'll get an alert from BitcoinTalk. So to be honest, I'm always logged in. My handmade fashion merchandise for Bitcoin has become a full time job. I'm here for anyone that wants to talk to me. My arms and my mind are always an open place to you all. With that in mind, I hope that we can all come together, and really do what we can to make the reputation of Bitcoin better.

Thanks so much for reading. Take care.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 11:36:45 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2015, 04:39:21 AM by codishmumu

PS: I deleted all of my trust ratings given to other users because there was no risked BTC involved. I'm the one making the statement, so it'd be fitting to be the change I'd like to see.

Also: Please insist on using escrow during every transaction.

Prevention is better than a cure. Please escrow.

PS: Give feedback on my bitcoin symbol charm
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1223589.0

PPS: If anyone is gonna argue that people posting deliberately dumb posts in off topic forum is gonna make this site look unprofessional, it's not. It's going to make us look like we have a sense of humor, and that we don't always have a serious personality. So enjoy my deliberate retardation posted daily in the off topic forum!

You might notice they're all self moderated. It's to avoid vulgar comments from my deliberate nonsensical antics. If people can't play along, they shouldn't post in the thread. My serious posts in off-topic are never self moderated though.
visual111

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 11:50:39 PM

The crypto slack pages that I'm on (won't mention names) seem to dislike bitcointalk due to some of what I agree to be censorship regarding alts

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 11:57:44 PM

The crypto slack pages that I'm on (won't mention names) seem to dislike bitcointalk due to some of what I agree to be censorship regarding alts
Thank you for reminding me that alternate accounts need to stop being used as well. What is the point of that?
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:00:42 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2015, 12:30:37 AM by tommorisonwebdesign

There is little that can be done when a forum hits a size like BTCTalk has. There are not many solutions and the staff can't do anything about it or don't care. My best advice is: if you don't like it go somewhere else.

EdiT: Sex scandal? Maybe there is more going on than what is being presented. If you're whoring yourself on the interrnet, that IS unprofessional and should not be tolerated.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:04:06 AM

There is little that can be done when a forum hits a size like BTCTalk has. There are not many solutions and the staff can't do anything about it or don't care. My best advice is: if you don't like it go somewhere else.
You should sell your bitcoins now if that's really how you feel. Without a positive image, we won't have many users up for adoption.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:15:36 AM

Bitcoin as a currency truly succeeds when forums like this become a complete and utter irrelevance. In the meantime it remains the biggest game in town whether anyone likes it or not.
codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:19:54 AM

Bitcoin as a currency truly succeeds when forums like this become a complete and utter irrelevance. In the meantime it remains the biggest game in town whether anyone likes it or not.
I'm not trying to be mean here (forgive me if you get offended) but I don't know....what you just said. It made no sense to me.

How is Satoshi's forum being irrelevant going to help his currency....?

It just makes his currency irrelevant too.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:21:49 AM

I'm not trying to be mean here (forgive me if you get offended) but I don't know....what you just said. It made no sense to me.

You're acting like this forum is vital for the future success of Bitcoin. It is very important at the moment but it really needs to be left behind as a quaint snapshot of a previous time. If tens or hundreds of millions of people are using BTC then it'll be lost in the noise.
codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:23:34 AM

You're acting like this forum is vital for the future success of Bitcoin. It is very important at the moment but it really needs to be left behind as a quaint snapshot of a previous time. If tens or hundreds of millions of people are using BTC then it'll be lost in the noise.
Go see my edit, because....I still don't understand what you just said.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:25:56 AM

Err. I don't think I can be much clearer. There are hundreds of millions of Android users. How many frequent forums or developer lists? It just gets the job done for them. There's no need to get involved in any type of community. When there were a few hundred users then it was vital.
codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:28:38 AM

Err. I don't think I can be much clearer. There are hundreds of millions of Android users. How many frequent forums or developer lists? It just gets the job done for them. There's no need to get involved in any type of community. When there were a few hundred users then it was vital.
Any little bit of improvement can only help.

Whether or not you want to believe me because you've gotten comfortable here, it matters. If you don't feel it matters, that's you, not me. Agree to disagree.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:32:43 AM

Any little bit of improvement can only help.

Whether or not you want to believe me because you've gotten comfortable here, it matters. If you don't feel it matters, that's you, not me. Agree to disagree.

I agree with you, but this forum will always attract psychos, brats, morons and the innately hostile. It comes with the territory. The best anyone can do is keep plugging away until its importance fades.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:33:25 AM

This thread is so dumb. Bitcoin's success does not depend on this forum. It depends on mass adaptation. Over time there will be many Bitcoin forums and sites just as big as this one today.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:37:02 AM

I think that this forum has drifted away from being a regular forum. Bitcoin communities and openness aren't things that go together, look at any bitcoin community and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not just bitcointalk, we might be a little worse or better than others but not much different.

It's like people become hostile and disconnected when posting here. The reason behins this might be simpler than you think though, it's a forum about money. Scams involve money, so you see where this is going. Bitcoin on it's own, isn't the easiest thing to comprehend. When you become part of a community that is already familiar with it, it takes some gettin used to to realise how the inner mechanisms of this community work. It might seem unappealing or even hostile to outsiders but if people are going to use bitcoin, it isn't the community that will turn them away. If somebody thinks that a more 'friendly and welcoming' community would help bitcoin adoption, then feel free to create your own "bitcoin safe space" and apply draconian censorship to keep out anything that might hurt somebody's feelings.
codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:38:53 AM

This thread is so dumb. Bitcoin's success does not depend on this forum. It depends on mass adaptation. Over time there will be many Bitcoin forums and sites just as big as this one today.
If you think it's dumb, it doesn't make sense to bump the thread and give it more exposure.

What's dumb to you and what's dumb to me are just not in sync. It just indicates that we are two separate individuals with two separate mindsets. That doesn't mean either one of us are dumb.

codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:43:21 AM

I think that this forum has drifted away from being a regular forum. Bitcoin communities and openness aren't things that go together, look at any bitcoin community and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not just bitcointalk, we might be a little worse or better than others but not much different.

It's like people become hostile and disconnected when posting here. The reason behins this might be simpler than you think though, it's a forum about money. Scams involve money, so you see where this is going. Bitcoin on it's own, isn't the easiest thing to comprehend. When you become part of a community that is already familiar with it, it takes some gettin used to to realise how the inner mechanisms of this community work. It might seem unappealing or even hostile to outsiders but if people are going to use bitcoin, it isn't the community that will turn them away. If somebody thinks that a more 'friendly and welcoming' community would help bitcoin adoption, then feel free to create your own "bitcoin safe space" and apply draconian censorship to keep out anything that might hurt somebody's feelings.
It's really not just about hurting somebody's feelings. It is really about looking more professional overall.

This site was made by Satoshi himself. So with that in mind, it would be in everyone's best interest to represent Satoshi's site with a little more professionalism, and buff out imperfections. It's either you do that, or you don't make the forum at all because appearances impact adoption. Yes, forums do matter. I actually didn't know of Bitcoins or BitcoinTalk until I googled "forum marketplace" to sell my jewelry. This site came up. At first it looked friendly, so I joined. From there, BTC was introduced to me, and it looked useful, so I adopted it. From there, I see that was a mistake if I'm going to support scam artists and harassers into becoming more rich.

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 12:45:22 AM

Does anyone have any data on what percentage of bitcoin users are active (or even just lurkers) on bitcointalk? I realize that's not something that can be answered straightforwardly, but any insight would be appreciated.

There are any number of things that can be done to "clean up" the image here. When you start new threads, think about whether they will help if a new, average person wanders in and sees your thread first. First impressions matter. When a new user is confronted with childish threads about girls and bitcoin, not to mention NSFW stuff, or talking about drugs for bitcoin, and so on, it doesn't help. I'm not calling for centralized censorship of bitcointalk, but I am suggesting better discretion on the part of posters who want bitcoin to succeed, but may be their own worst enemy.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 01:00:13 AM

When satoshi left, it was unclear what direction bitcoin would take. The value of bitcoin wasn't as significant as it is today, daily volumes were petty, scamming was not the business it is today. Due to the lack of traffic back then, there weren't many bad apples. But even for the few back then, satoshi did a good job at ignoring them. Perhaps you could to the same. There are other things that would help improving bitcoin's image more, like for example not inviting scammers to edit the bitocin wiki. Aside of that, I think that it'd bee good if the forum remained up and running with minimum to no censorship.
codishmumu (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 02:01:35 AM

When satoshi left, it was unclear what direction bitcoin would take. The value of bitcoin wasn't as significant as it is today, daily volumes were petty, scamming was not the business it is today. Due to the lack of traffic back then, there weren't many bad apples. But even for the few back then, satoshi did a good job at ignoring them. Perhaps you could to the same. There are other things that would help improving bitcoin's image more, like for example not inviting scammers to edit the bitocin wiki. Aside of that, I think that it'd bee good if the forum remained up and running with minimum to no censorship.
Can you prove that?

Censorship on this site happens, but it should be on harassment or scam posters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: