Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 19621 times)
enkrates

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 02:13:52 AM

It's refreshing to have a big, prominent company coming out and supporting Bitcoin. It does a lot of good to have something to contrast with SR. Especially when WordPress.com goes sout of its way to point out the quasi-censorious nature of PayPal.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:15:41 AM

Anyone else notice how the official announcement from Wordpress has subtly changed since it was originally posted?
I noticed the change from Cuba and Iraq to Ethiopia.

I guess they didn't want to go all the way balls to the wall on the freedom issue..  Roll Eyes

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:20:16 AM

It's refreshing to have a big, prominent company coming out and supporting Bitcoin. It does a lot of good to have something to contrast with SR. Especially when WordPress.com goes sout of its way to point out the quasi-censorious nature of PayPal.

Haha, I loved that. I guess PayPal will be thrilled when they see that! I would not be surprised if their knee jerk reaction was: "Remove bitcoin from your site, or else we will freeze your PayPal accounts". I hope Wordpress are upstanding Guys and won't cave to PayPal or anyone else. Giving the nature of their business, I would think so.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:22:48 AM

Haha, I loved that. I guess PayPal will be thrilled when they see that! I would not be surprised if their knee jerk reaction was: "Remove bitcoin from your site, or else we will freeze your PayPal accounts". I hope Wordpress are upstanding Guys and won't cave to PayPal or anyone else. Giving the nature of their business, I would think so.

Or better yet, give them the middle finger and go Bitcoin only!  Grin Well one can dream, right?  Roll Eyes Cheesy

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 02:23:32 AM

Or better yet, give them the middle finger and go Bitcoin only!  Grin Well one can dream, right?  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Some day it will be Bitcoin only.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:23:56 AM

I would not be surprised if their knee jerk reaction was: "Remove bitcoin from your site, or else we will freeze your PayPal accounts"
A move like that would have a very high potential of backfiring.

Wordpress has a big soapbox, and PayPal needs Wordpress more than Wordpress needs PayPal.
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:26:37 AM

Anyone else notice how the official announcement from Wordpress has subtly changed since it was originally posted?

I guess they didn't want to go all the way balls to the wall on the freedom issue..  Roll Eyes

I for one think its the right business call. For a mainstream business like WordPress, its important to not highlight reasons for potential enmity with powerful people. Often a lateral approach is the best way to bootstrap greater freedoms (see end of slavery in England for example)

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:33:48 AM

source: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/pay-another-way-bitcoin/

Pay Another Way: Bitcoin

At WordPress.com, our mission is making publishing democratic — accessible and easy for anyone, anywhere. And while anyone can start a free blog here, not everyone can access upgrades (like going ad-free or enabling custom design) because of limits on traditional payment networks.

Today, that changes: you can now buy WordPress.com upgrades with bitcoins.

PayPal alone blocks access from over 60 countries, and many credit card companies have similar restrictions. Some are blocked for political reasons, some because of higher fraud rates, and some for other financial reasons. Whatever the reason, we don’t think an individual blogger from Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq should have diminished access to the blogosphere because of payment issues they can’t control. Our goal is to enable people, not block them.

This is good news, but: How exactly is this target group supposed to get hold of bitcoins? Oh, right. There are no bitcoin exchanges in Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq. I am not being sarcastic, but genuinely concerned about this problem.

Easy, all they have to do is accept bitcoin as payment for their goods and services. I'm sure they produce many goods and services that bitcoin owners would like to buy.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 03:16:11 AM

Actually they do not have to go that far. There a millions of adults, more than the entire adult population of Cuba and Iraq combined, in the United States that cannot get a bank account, credit card or PayPal account due to poor credit.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 03:17:52 AM

This is very exciting news.  i was in the middle of a 7 hour drive when the announcement broke, so I'm catching up on all of the news now.  It looks like the press is picking up the story so I would expect much more coverage on Friday.

We have been working with Wordpress for about 3 months on this project.  It is exciting to see it finally launched!

Tony

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 03:21:12 AM

This is very exciting news.  i was in the middle of a 7 hour drive when the announcement broke, so I'm catching up on all of the news now.  It looks like the press is picking up the story so I would expect much more coverage on Friday.

We have been working with Wordpress for about 3 months on this project.  It is exciting to see it finally launched!

Tony

Oh yea! What else have you been working on behind our backs, Tony?  Grin
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 03:31:48 AM

Tony

Amazon.  He's probably working on Amazon behind our backs.   Wink

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 03:35:44 AM
Last edit: November 19, 2012, 09:04:48 PM by Maged

Amazon.  He's probably working on Amazon behind our backs.   Wink

haha, I'm not telling.  Although we could have another big annoucement tomorrow, if the lawyers get everything approved.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
dancupid

Activity: 955

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 03:47:42 AM

What's interesting is that it allows people with blogs to accept bitcoin donations and then use those bitcoins directly to pay for extra services.
It creats a closed economy for the bloggers.
A blogger from Iraq/Kenya/Cuba can get now hold of bitcoins simply by blogging.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 03:58:37 AM

Wow this is amazing news. This is going to bring HUGE awareness to bitcoin. Good job wordpress!

Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 04:10:27 AM

Let's face it, Wordpress only mentioned Kenya and Etheopia as a P.R. move. I have no problem with that. The truth is that they can now start accepting payments with only a 0.99% fee charged by Bitpay instead of a 3% + $0.30 fee by paypal and credit cards.

Capitalism wins!

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:11:42 AM

Go Bitpay!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 04:12:43 AM

I don't remember. Who was next?

google.com
facebook.com
youtube.com
yahoo.com
baidu.com
wikipedia.org
live.com
twitter.com
qq.com
amazon.com
taobao.com
linkedin.com
blogspot.com
google.co.in
yahoo.co.jp
sina.com.cn
google.de
yandex.ru
msn.com
wordpress.com
google.com.hk
google.co.jp
bing.com
ebay.com
google.co.uk

Reddit?

My list is the alexa top 25 that was referred to in an interview by Tony. Reddit.com ranks at #132.

I'm sure, Tony will tell us tomorrow, who's next  Grin

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 04:14:05 AM

I would not be surprised if their knee jerk reaction was: "Remove bitcoin from your site, or else we will freeze your PayPal accounts"
A move like that would have a very high potential of backfiring.

Wordpress has a big soapbox, and PayPal needs Wordpress more than Wordpress needs PayPal.

This is extremely important. WordPress is synomous with freedom of speech. This allows us to reframe the Bitcoin debate from being used to buy drugs to ensuring our freedom of speech. We saw how fast the Internet rallied against SOPA, PIPA, etc. Bitcoin will get a lot more public support for freedom of speech. Coupled with the everyone with a soapbox using Bitcoin to pay for their soapbox ... I cannot really think of a more important propellant for public Bitcoin support.

PayPal recently fired 325 employees and 120 independent contractors. If they tried to freeze WordPress they would encounter a fury from the Internet like SOPA did. I imagine a lot of bloggers would boycott Paypal out of spite.

imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:18:44 AM

"...Then you win."  Cool

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: